• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT2| !? Love Live is not real!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gravijah

K-ON! didn't so much as revolutionize the medium moreso than it started a war within it.

The moe and anti-moe crowds are about as vile with each other as the Federation and Zeon are in Gundam.

I only watch anime that says "Damn it" at least once an episode. I wouldn't want to be confused with an children, or heaven forbid, a girl.

Jarmel

Banned
I don't really agree with that. Madoka was a very popular series, and we can probably point to it as being a fairly important series within the broader culture of anime, but it didn't even come close to revolutionizing anything.

Evangelion was a revolutionary and transformative series on a number of levels, and not just in the good ways. We can pretty directly blame Anno for the state of anime censorship on television today (the Pokemon seizure incident also helped this along by necessitating networks to actually check the contents of shows before airing them). Evangelion also had a massive impact on the way anime is merchandised, profited from, and the business models in tact.

Madoka didn't really have any such large effect. It lead to a handful of copycats and a resurgence of "dark magical girl" shows, but those shows existed before Madoka. (In the same way, certainly a fair amount of what Evangelion did had been done previously, most notably by Ideon, but it still had a larger overall impact on the state of the medium)

I'd say that Madoka is closer to the Haruhi of the 10's. A show that became massively popular while airing, created a number of copycats, and continues to be relevant in terms of being referenced by other shows and having a strong fanbase, but not really revolutionary in any real sense of the word.

Very few things attributed with the idea of being revolutionary are actually new, most of them time they are advancement of things prior to them. Nothing comes out of thin air. Elements of Evangelion had been done prior too as you mentioned.

Madoka wasn't just a 'dark magical girl' show as has been done prior but things such as the Faustian components have dramatically impacted how people view magical girl shows now and how authors write the genre. Even outside its genre you can see the influence in some writers and shows. We haven't even reached the 5th anniversary of the show. You are right however that Madoka hasn't really impacted core business models but pretty much no show has, as those are largely been set in stone now. Everything under the sun is merchandised for otaku. There really isn't anything to change at this point.

If anything Madoka would be closer to Code Geass than Haruhi as that one kicked off the cliffhanger concept in anime.

Edit:Actually I guess you could say that Haruhi escalated the light novel adaptation stuff to the extent it is now. If you look at it that way then it's super revolutionary.

jbug617

Banned
umaru is the first anime since k-on with something to say

tumblr_nv006tohzI1qlqevxo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nuzzchHEd11u7y41yo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nrlteh6daq1rro9xpo1_500.png

Who knew

javac

Not seen G Gundam *ducks* but I never realized that this was a reference to it. The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy. (Clip contains the actual scene from G Gundam too, no idea how spoilerly it is!)

I bet that there's a load of anime references in cartoons I used to watch. I haven't watched CN in many years but Steven Universe which I'm sure is a popular series has a Gunbuster reference. (a S2 Short, so again, spoilers?)

Narag

Not seen G Gundam *ducks* but I never realized that this was a reference to it. The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy. (Clip contains the actual scene from G Gundam too, no idea how spoilerly it is!)

I bet that there's a load of anime references in cartoons I used to watch. I haven't watched CN in many years but Steven Universe which I'm sure is a popular series has a Gunbuster reference. (a S2 Short, so again, spoilers?)

http://believeinsteven.tumblr.com/post/82253297136/queenlionsnake-everyone-else-is-like-sanic

javac

That's awesome :) Confession:
I've not seen Utena.
I'm sure there's a lot of nods and such to anime series and video games in Regular Show which seems to be built around the idea of nostalgia, for better or worse. I don't really keep up with western cartoons, which I guess is keeping true to myself, clinging onto shows of yesteryear and such but its cool to see the creators and animators of today injecting their childhood and such into these shows too, although like I said I bet a lot of cartoons I used to watch also had direct references so its not a new trend.

Narcos 01

This shit is cray as fuck. Good lord Netflix, you have got me by the balls with these shows. Wagner Moura is doing some crazy work, I used to watch this guy on TV when I was little, he was in like every single Brazillian soap opera that my mom watched. Now he is doing crazy stuff like this. Good for him. Talented as hell, not a tinge of Brazillian accent, and he looks just like the person he is impersonating. Netflix 2 OP.

Cornbread78

Samurai Flamenco ep.1-6
I figured I'd follow up on the first 6 episodes at this point, since I've been told 1,000x that it's the best part of the anime and shit goes down at ep.7. I am a little nervous... However, the first 6 episodes have been really good. The relationships have been well done (gotta love that bromance) Goto is the best by far... The idol girl, and now "girls" can all go to hell because you can already tell they are annoying as hell, especially the ringleader herself. Oh well, it's been fun so far, so we'll see what happens next tomorrow.

Narcos 01

This shit is cray as fuck. Good lord Netflix, you have got me by the balls with these shows. Wagner Moura is doing some crazy work, I used to watch this guy on TV when I was little, he was in like every single Brazillian soap opera that my mom watched. Now he is doing crazy stuff like this. Good for him. Talented as hell, not a tinge of Brazillian accent, and he looks just like the person he is impersonating. Netflix 2 OP.

maybe not a brazilian accent but his accent slip during the show has bothered many colombians and spanish speakers.

ibyea

Banned
Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies, episode 2b
Wow, I thought it would be just some all right Scooby Doo style of mystery, but the second day turns over so many assumptions that it's not even funny. The solution to the mystery is amazing and I just love the Apollo, Athena interactions.

However, the first 6 episodes have been really good. The relationships have been well done (gotta love that bromance) Goto is the best by far... The idol girl, and now "girls" can all go to hell because you can already tell they are annoying as hell, especially the ringleader herself. Oh well, it's been fun so far, so we'll see what happens next tomorrow.
Trust me, you are not ready.

maybe not a brazilian accent but his accent slip during the show has bothered many colombians and spanish speakers.
I'm part Spanish and his wording sounds just fine HOWEVER I'm not familiar with the Columbian side of things. The Spanish I grew up with was Castellano/Gallego so any of the Latino variances of the language, although understandable, I won't recognize them. Maybe his Columbian Spanish is awful. But hey, Brazilians have a REALLY hard time with languages, simply because of how involved the intonation of the Brazilian Portuguese language is. Portuguese people like myself from the mainland however have it much easier and we can get rid of accents easily. So I mean, people should give the guy some credit. Yes I have only seen one episode, but damn if he doesn't nail his part right.

jonjonaug

Megas XLR made references to old school super robot and superhero shows all the god damn time.

I saw something about it on brazilian television, I think what bothered them was a specific accent of Pablo Escobar, and a colombian guy(Andrés Parra) already did it better.

Yeah he had the right accent for like 60% of the time but then it slipped. It didn't bother me that much personally as everybody else was pretty spot on.

sonicmj1

Since I already kind of gave my thoughts on the first episode of After Story, we can get right on moving to...

Clannad: After Story 2-3

The start of what I guess is the "Sunohara Arc", but not in that way.

I liked these episodes a lot. Not necessarily because of the humor, but because the conflict here so far is a natural escalation of what we already know about Sunohara. As the resident male sidekick in a harem show, he has been a goofball, a punching bag for other characters, a gullible mark for Okazaki's pranks, his partner in crime for class-cutting. That's all good fun, but his carefree attitude is also a real problem for his life, a problem he has naturally been running from. There's a future rushing toward him, and he doesn't feel like he can control it.

In short, even more than the arc that ended the original series, this drama is a consequence of his character and his motivations, not the result of some sob story past or contrived coincidence. Even
Sunohara running into Okazaki and Mei hanging out, and then thinking that they're a couple
is set up remarkably well in the narrative by the standards of the previous season. And his feelings as a result have some human weight to them.

DzOUxUO.jpg
gh9Byy3.jpg

This scene was really well done, not just in Sunohara's body language, but in how the direction established his distance from everyone else. This is especially emphasized when the show cut immediately from the left image to the right one. It doesn't make temporal sense, but it makes emotional sense.

Mei also has greatly benefited from this arc so far. That's kind of remarkable given how much I'd wanted to write her off earlier as some idealized little-sister standee. She still is basically that, but these episodes have added some other human layers beneath which make her feel much more alive.

This would be pretty perfect so far, except the episode has to end with Mei suggesting that they make him play soccer. Can we solve at least one problem with something besides sports? This is the fourth time now!

Netflix so far has been doing some crazy work. Daredevil was excellent, Narcos seems to be as well. I am hoping for the "A Series of Unfortunate Events" series to be a hit too. I grew up reading those books. Pls be good:

Clannad: After Story 2-3
Cool stuff, someone else watching After Story. Having only watched both the original and this a few months ago, I am looking forward to reading your impressions. I am sure Corn will be delighted as well ahaha.

Narag

Wakakao-Zake 1-12
Remarkably pleasant for what it was: a celebration of the meal. Maybe I'll take things a little slower next time I eat because of this and see if I enjoy things just a little more.

ibyea

Banned
Netflix so far has been doing some crazy work. Daredevil was excellent, Narcos seems to be as well. I am hoping for the "A Series of Unfortunate Events" series to be a hit too. I grew up reading those books. Pls be good.

Oh I really hope it's good. The books are amazing.

Jarmel

Banned
OG Beef Stroganoff: The Anime- 4
5sExjcT.jpg

Too late.
Wow that was kinda bullshit, how come Tsubasa survives? Kanade got turned to ash immediately but Tsubasa lives on? What kind of swan song is it if you're still alive after using it? We also saw Kanada's grimdark background how she was filled with such a lust for revenge.
9ViPWB4.jpg
CkD09Tg.jpg

I see Kanade's love of strawberry jam was passed on to Hibiki.
Well at least the anime introduced a real threat as the Noise weren't exactly presenting a danger. Of course it was a random as all hell introduction with no explanation but I guess I'll take what I can get. I enjoyed seeing Tsubasa getting wrecked.
This show really loves breaking the fourth wall doesn't it?

blurr

as someone who really really
hates the bullshit that happens in the last episode
, i await them getting there

Understandable but I was *somehow* okay with that when I watched it. If contemplate about it now,
I'm pretty sure I'll find it ridiculous but meh.

Mailbox

Understandable but I was *somehow* okay with that when I watched it. If contemplate about it now,
I'm pretty sure I'll find it ridiculous but meh.

idk, the ending to the episode prior seemed way better than the final episode as an ending.

Like a good
tragedy

The whole
alt dimension fixing every problem in after story
stuff just felt like such unneeded bunk and felt cheap. super super cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom