• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-Rex.

Banned
I see, I'm staying away from Fate/Stay night then.
You should stay away from Deen's version, but tbh if you watch Fate/Zero then you should really give UBW a watch as well. It's good, plus it follows on from Fate/Zero and it's cool seeing where some of the characters end up. Also it's the route of the best character in the entire Fate series.

Ascheroth

I started trails in the sky second chapter recently and I honestly just didn't have the energy to go through this huge ass rpg the day I was playing it. I'll have to eventually get back to it. Maybe now that my no man's sky initial honeymoon period is down I'll give it another go.

I'm of the opinion that there is such a thing as "the right time" for a game to click. I bought Trails of Cold Steel at launch and stopped playing in a few days. Got back to it last week, and I'm now over 40hrs in, on the 5th chapter, and I'm loving it!

Trails SC is incredible but also incredibly long. I'm in the Final Chapter now after ~80 hours and I'm guessing I still need 5-10 hours. But I also haven't played for a week now. I always need a break for a couple weeks after each 'chunk' or else I'll burn out.

Trails SC is incredible but also incredibly long. I'm in the Final Chapter now after ~80 hours and I'm guessing I still need 5-10 hours. But I also haven't played for a week now. I always need a break for a couple weeks after each 'chunk' or else I'll burn out.
It's fairly scary right now. With deus ex in a week or so I don't know if I want to properly give it a go unless I can devote more attention to it.

Diamond is Unbreakable 20

You could tell they were cramming to fit the whole story in one episode, what with dropping both the OP and ED and all. It was really fun though. I wouldn't want to date someone with Yukako's personality, but her mood swings are enjoyable to watch. The fairy tale elements of the story were a neat touch as well, another example of how varied this part is. I really appreciated how the Art Nouveau style started from the Cinderella book Aya kept with her and radiated out across the whole episode, with copious attractive shots. As always, it's impressive how an episode outsourced to Korea can have such top-notch character art, defying anime norms.

Clov

Well, Paradox Spiral is at least.

I found the Kara no Kyoukai films enjoyable. You just need to go into them knowing that they're chuuni to the core. Paradox Spiral is definitely the best of them all by far though. Even when I first watched them, that entry stood out to me as being quite well directed.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Kara no Kyoukai 5:
Probably the worst anime I have ever watched. It's so bad, and not even the "Ichika no ecchi" or "Nice Boat" kind of bad that can be entertaining under certain conditions, just pure badness.

one day, hopefully its better then the other zero i was tricked into watching

Do it for the best servant.

Jtz411T.jpg

mAcOdIn

Thinking what I should watch next:

Yona of the Dawn
Spice and Wolf

I think both of them are pretty good, right?

Also, what I should watch from the Fate/Zero series? I think I've read there are some seasons/spin offs that are very bad in this, or something.
Spice and Wolf! Holo's the best deity ever.

Hunter x Hunter 16

Maybe I'm overthinking things, but in an episode that showed me this...
alsoweird.png

Calm down bro.
...I was honestly more perturbed by Gon's behavior. Hisoka could easily kill Gon, and his friends. I don't think they could even put up resistance. So when Hisoka corners Gon's friend, it's somewhat odd to me that Gon doesn't seem particularly worried. His sole focus is on Hisoka's badge. He never shows any worry for his friends, who again, stand no chance against Hisoka. Later when he realizes another participant is about to be killed by Hisoka, he seems to see it only as an opportunity. Lastly, when he finds himself saved by Hisoka, given the badge that consumed his very being, he's not happy. He's pissed. He demands Hisoka takes back his badge. The whole episode paints Gon as this character who is either completely unaffected by death and the risk of it, or as someone is very unaware of how permanent it is. Someone who is stupidly prideful, and doesn't know how to accept he was beaten.
fuckingweirdo.png

You calm down too.

John Blade

Such a sad episode. Shizuru sacrifice herself to save the spaceship and also proof a point for Goh and basically force him to change. Anna found out (in the worst way) that Goh still have feeling toward Mira which basically make her want to step out of the relationship for her to think about this. Mira somehow change near the end which I guess her memory might have come back and also did something to Shizuru.

Also, we got to see a big battle with Shizuru and the monster which is still fun to watch.

Forget to add: we found out the monster is now expanding to build up as many monster to start another nightmare situation which doesn't look good for the super robot team.

Hunter x Hunter 16

Maybe I'm overthinking things, but in an episode that showed me this...

...I was honestly more perturbed by Gon's behavior. Hisoka could easily kill Gon, and his friends. I don't think they could even put up resistance. So when Hisoka corners Gon's friend, it's somewhat odd to me that Gon doesn't seem particularly worried. His sole focus is on Hisoka's badge. He never shows any worry for his friends, who again, stand no chance against Hisoka. Later when he realizes another participant is about to be killed by Hisoka, he seems to see it only as an opportunity. Lastly, when he finds himself saved by Hisoka, given the badge that consumed his very being, he's not happy. He's pissed. He demands Hisoka takes back his badge. The whole episode paints Gon as this character who is either completely unaffected by death and the risk of it, or as someone is very unaware of how permanent it is. Someone who is stupidly prideful, and doesn't know how to accept he was beaten.

Yeah that's pretty much Gon. I wanna read your Gon character reactions on the later arcs :)

Does he go from Linkin Park to Underoath?

;P
Lol he doesn't go emo.

Finished sinbad Anime. Great season, hopefully they make another one. Has me wanting to read the manga so I might just do that.

With this free time I'm finally knocking out anime again. Gotta see what to binge next. Maybe Ajin since I already started it.

Jo Jo's Bizarre Adventure Stardust Crusaders Season 1

To the guy on My Anime List, who said to watch the first episode then skip to the second season, you were right. Story wise, there was very little that happened. Battle wise? There was not a single disappointing episode. The censorship is a bit much, but if I wanted better then I could probably pay somewhere. I don't like the overly sexual tone some of the episodes took. It was a needless addition to an otherwise great show. It was so bad that when two people were brought back from the dead, the man came back fully clothed and the girl came back naked. There was no good reason for that to happen. Just like there was no good reason for a primate to be interested in the female form.

Squishy3

Jo Jo's Bizarre Adventure Stardust Crusaders Season 1

To the guy on My Anime List, who said to watch the first episode then skip to the second season, you were right. Story wise, there was very little that happened. Battle wise? There was not a single disappointing episode. The censorship is a bit much, but if I wanted better then I could probably pay somewhere. I don't like the overly sexual tone some of the episodes took. It was a needless addition to an otherwise great show. It was so bad that when two people were brought back from the dead, the man came back fully clothed and the girl came back naked. There was no good reason for that to happen. Just like there was no good reason for a primate to be interested in the female form.
That's actually one of the more disappointing parts of this adaptation, the shot of Anne in the hallway while Forever looms over her is in the manga, but it's only one panel before it switches focus to the actual "fight" between Jotaro and Forever. (yes, the orangutan's named after a Wu-Tang album :p)

John Blade

One thing I will say is they is too many flashback scene in this episode to the point it take up around half of the episode of flashback. Now, the story start to get interesting but kinda funny it end with a cliffhanger. Weird...

You found out a bit more of the dark past 5 years ago which you heard a bit in this episode and also how it's kinda repeating as all the super robot team are literally fighting to destory the monster which is multiplying. For Anna, I think she realize how much important Goh is to her when she think about it during this trouble time to the point he kinda save her in one incident when she is trying to go back to the base.

This is where you got to see both super robot back in action and this time without Anna help as Mira manage to control her robot. I guess this is where she is now squeeze into the story and might be the tension between Anna and Goh as she is basically Goh previous lover. Guess this will get interesting in the 2nd season.

Overall, one of the better episode as the plot start to pick up and now the problem they're facing is more serious than ever before.

Update: Also meet another mysterious guy who drive Anna back to the base. He is someone important as the picture he have in the truck (and across his entire truck) look familiar. Will found out more in season 2.

Taruranto

Punished Munakata #6

A man devoid of all Hope (and waifu)

It was nice to see Kirigiri do some detective work. I mean, not even checking Gozu's face? Were these people for real?

I wonder who's the culprit. If we discharged body doubles and Monaka, the only ones left are Fedora, Yamakan and Sweet-tits. Boxer is super-obvious too in his devotion to Munakata. Unless.. we are looking at it from the wrong angle? Maybe the people getting killed are the evil ones? I mean, Weedman did say this game anime will have an happy ending.

Or the culprit is a 13th person hiding on the celling that no one acknowledged?

That's actually one of the more disappointing parts of this adaptation, the shot of Anne in the hallway while Forever looms over her is in the manga, but it's only one panel before it switches focus to the actual "fight" between Jotaro and Forever. (yes, the orangutan's named after a Wu-Tang album :p)

With things like the 'Speedwagon" foundation and characters named "Zeplin" I'm not even surprised.

Exalted

I've been binge watching Hunter x Hunter for the last week, and have already reached the arc about ants, which sounds like a bit strange concept,
( creppy human animal hybrids?
) but will see how it goes. It's a great series, had no problem watching multiple episodes in a row, the story is exciting enough that you have that ' just one more episode' situation where you can't stop your curiosity and end up watching far to many episodes .The auction house arc was my favorite of the bunch so far.
But it is also shonen as fuck, both the main cast and the enemy do some really stupid decisions and mistakes ,but it is best not to think to much about stuff.
'Why didn't the spiders just read Hisoka mind in the auction arc, if they though he couldn't talk about IT.'
Also Gon is a really stubborn kid, and Gin is an ass hole dad.

Do Kurapika and Leorio become relevant again later? Kurapika was a great character, and as Leorio, don't think he has done anything really relevant so far, lol.

I've been binge watching Hunter x Hunter for the last week, and have already reached the arc about ants, which sounds like a bit strange concept,
( creppy human animal hybrids?
) but will see how it goes. It's a great series, had no problem watching multiple episodes in a row, the story is exciting enough that you have that ' just one more episode' situation where you can't stop your curiosity and end up watching far to many episodes .The auction house arc was my favorite of the bunch so far.
But it is also shonen as fuck, both the main cast and the enemy do some really stupid decisions and mistakes ,but it is best not to think to much about stuff.
'Why didn't the spiders just read Hisoka mind in the auction arc, if they though he couldn't talk about IT.'
Also Gon is a really stubborn kid, and Gin is an ass hole dad.

Do Kurapika and Leorio become relevant again later? Kurapika was a great character, and as Leorio, don't think he has done anything really relevant so far, lol.
Nah Kurapika and Leorio are pretty much gone now until the anime resumes in 2050 :'v

Get on Yona of the Dawn it's excellent, I meant to write up some longer thoughts at one point but never did. Suffice to say the MC grows in a believable fashion, the villain is actually complex in ways a lot of media fails at and the animation is a cut above. It ends before resolving the overall story but at least does so with grace and at a reasonable end point.

I want more Yona so bad

The manga gets *so good* so Im desperate for a new season or two of Yona.

Qurupeke

Macross Zero 1-2
It's that story from the Ranka Lee movie in Frontier! I'm surprised. I liked both of the sisters, but I'll root for Mao.
I remember that Mao is Sheryl's grandmother and there's going to be an underwater kiss scene with her. It looks like I finally made the right choice.

The CGI is a bit rough looking, though not really terrible, but the art and the animation make up for it. The OVAs so far look remarkably good, I really like the colour palette. Also, I like that despite having all the elements of a Macross series, it still feels very different. No giant ships and space battles so far, it's a lot more grounded on that aspect, but it seems it will still have a crazy story to tell.

barybll

Banned
All I can think when watching the DR3 anime is

"Oh don't worry, UDG isn't relevant to the plot at all! No need to play the game!"

ROUND VERNIAN VIFAM #39 Breach the Net!

The plot of the episode was Clare finding the pervy books in Scotts trunk, lol. Scott is always hilarious in these scenes since hes so awkward and such, Roddy and Barts have too much fun with him.

Action was pretty awesome especially when key characters were pinned down.

John Blade

banner-godannar.jpg

Wow...I didn't expect to finish the 1st season this quickly but I guess this might be the best time of what I think about the show. Overall, the show is entertaining if you like more of super robot fighting against the monster than the plot and character development.

Watching this and trying to follow the development of the characters feel like a waste of time for majority of the characters. Not saying all the characters you interact is unlikable. It's quite the opposite. Majority of the characters have either two dimensional or stereotype personalities which make them basically generic. For those who have backstory, it didn't really improve too much. Only the main character, Anna and Goh, have somewhat decent backstory and character development. Most of the development come down to their marriage and how they try to work it out issue they have to face either on or off the battle. This get even more hard when Mira shows up, and Goh need to face this issue of his death lover who he try to move on. This didn't help when Anna is trying to find a way to work around this but it will get to the point where misunderstood cause their relationship to falter. Nothing too crazy really but it's one minor thing which is working in the show. Another thing I notice in the characters is the overacting tone. I don't what it's but when the characters (or any really) have a major scene, they kinda overact to the point you feel like you're watching those old Super Sentai show. It's not bad actually and I kinda like it when I see it.

As for story of the show, I think the ADV preview of this show explain it quite well.

Nothing too crazy in the story and in a way it kinda feel like those generic storyline we see quite a bit in most anime. It doesn't help that the action pack episode didn't take a break or two to develop the storyline and characters. You don't really know what really happen 5 years ago except they is a big battle against the monster which cause part of the world destroy and people die. That's really it. Majority of the time, you got to see mech fighting monster action or close shots of the female's body (either the breast or the butts) which is quite common (to the point you wonder if they're doing this just so people will stick with this show till the end). Still, what their lack in story, they make do in the mecha battle which is still fun to watch.

For the music, generic as hell here. Nothing special to talk. The soundtrack work when it need to work but I don't think you will go download it and listen to tell the truth (except the opening theme music).

The artwork look nice and might be one of the brighter point of the show. It look very nice to see and also the female animation look great to watch which is what you will be watching most of the time. They're not hiding it at all as the creator know why you're watching the show. It's literally in your face whether you want it or not.

You going to see this quite a bit in the show. Better like it.

So, what I think about the show? If you're going into this series for action fun entertainment, then you will most likely like it. Don't get too serious when watching as the show didn't take it too seriously which make sense with so many fan-service. Now, buying this series might be a no go as they isn't much stuff which make you want to get the DVD or Blu-ray of the show unless you like the fan-service and want to see it in crystal clear.
tumblr_ntgcobDrKK1rjxyrgo1_500.gif

D.Gray-Man Hallow 110

Thank you Allen for stopping this vision I don't think I could've seen
Yu stab Alma so much any longer
. It's a shame about Alma really, I was such a fan of his design. Also knowing what's coming, the gory scenes are far from over.

Arslan 29 DUB

This was a good episode! nothing more to say then Daryun is cool and that Elam is the best. I love that him and Deku have the same VA.

Cheer Boys!! 3 DUB

I really like how, while we get introduced to new characters the rest of the cast develop at the same time. Haru remains the best and his personality makes him the best boy. I also love the ending and all those little animations with the chibis are so cute.
qoAzQEt.jpg
GZECXpd.jpg

Little witch academia
This was very trigger and it made me think of luluco with a little more thought behind the story. The girls were fun to watch and the animation was very very good. But it's probably my least favourite trigger show.

Little witch academia the enchanted parade

Idem from above, but I did like that characters had a little more interaction. I also finds the DUB for this quite average. They lacked power with the way the lines were delivered.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Epic scale is fine, but it should be visually interesting.

Cloud vs Bahamut in FF7:AC was interesting.
Master Asia vs Death Army, interesting.
Homura vs Walpurgisnacht, super interesting.

In fact I just discovered a wonderful giant enemy sequence in Yozakura Quartet: Hoshi no Umi:
https://sakuga.yshi.org/data/8f2b4b5a491c2a6559f2d49555780664.webm

Wilhem and co vs Whale, dull. Maybe I'm expecting too much from this show but they could've done a lot more with the setup than they did. I didn't even understand the point of all those ground troops if they never had a way of grounding the whale.

They didn't know they couldn't ground the thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom