• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re:Zero

I don't understand this guy's obsession with Emilia.

He's interacted with Rem about 10 times more than Emilia. His position that Emilia was nice to him when he first came to the world is only even true from a certain intentionally ignorant perspective.

I mean in some sense it's just as bad that Rem is okay with Subaru being basically unhinged.

I'm a couple if weeks behind but I generally agree as well. It's love at first sight bullshit as the narrative doesn't really support Subaru's obsession with her.

Seriously.

Did you know that there's actually a what-if side story oneshot written by the author of the LN that's about Subaru and Rem running away, hooking up, and having two kids?

This is one of the rare cases where I'd be totally all for the show just going "screw it" to the LN and just going with that, considering what I've read of the spoilers.

/XX/

I wish Crunchyroll offered uncensored versions of shows. It's really annoying watching JoJo's Bizarre Adventure with black bars everywhere.
I have a question somewhat related to this; has Crunchyroll ever substituted the 'on-air' version of an episode with a later released one for any of the shows they offer on their service?

Theonik

I have a question somewhat related to this; has Crunchyroll ever substituted the 'on-air' version of an episode with a later released one for any of the shows they offer on their service?
They do when they have the option to. Or at least when asked they claim it is so.
I can't think of any specific examples though. At the end of the day they put up what they are given. In part it is also why they are trying to have more content they have some leverage on recently.

Qurupeke

New Game 1

I didn't expect something good, but it was still disappointing. Cute, young looking girls doing fun things at their workplace. I'll give it one more chance, in case the jokes get better and and the show becomes more interesting. I like the characters though.

e_i

I been .listening to the Kizumonogatari audiobook. It's quite good, but the English VA for Hanakawa makes her sound too cutesy.

/XX/

They do when they have the option to. Or at least when asked they claim it is so.
I can't think of any specific examples though. At the end of the day they put up what they are given. In part it is also why they are trying to have more content they have some leverage on recently.
Yeah, I remember the case when they had to negotiate at a later time to add OVA episodes of some Aniplex Inc., productions but at the expense of having to show them only in quality deemed as 'standard definition'.

I always felt that while Shirabako 'set up' the five girls as main girls, in truth it only really followed three of them seriously and really treated them as main characters. In truth I'd argue the director for instance was more of a main character than, say, CG girl. Heck even voice-actor chan was probably more of a secondary character than a main.

Yeah, I think that some of the issues here might be that someone looking at the show as being "five main girls and some supporting characters" has fundamentally missed where the character development is happening.

Characters like Kinoshita and Tarou are far more important to the story (and more developed) than any of Aoi's friends. For the most part, the Musashino Animiation staff are the protagonists (as Kinoshita might say). Someone like Zuka-chan is certainly set up early on and has her own role in the story, but for the most part it's happening in the background.

Mendrox

Seriously.

Did you know that there's actually a what-if side story oneshot written by the author of the LN that's about Subaru and Rem running away, hooking up, and having two kids?

This is one of the rare cases where I'd be totally all for the show just going "screw it" to the LN and just going with that, considering what I've read of the spoilers.

No, no, no. Him admiring/loving Emilia like this is a very big characterization point of Subaru. The current arc also already showed how flawed he is and what his core problem is. It's a deep problem which also is a problem all his life.

Edit: But it will be shown later a bit more.

T-Rex.

Banned
is this secretly a masou gakuen hxh post?
walterwhiteyougotme.gif

Usually those are things that don't happen till bluray releases, or in particular cases smut sometimes airs uncensored depending on the channels it appears on.

You can watch some smut like Ladies vs. Butlers or Yosuga no Sora uncensored on CR for example.

Usually when that happens it's after the post-airing release has been done in the licensors country. With Jojo, I wouldn't be surprised to eventually see uncensored versions of parts 1, 2, and 3 show up at least on Viz's site if anything.
Ah ok, I thought it was a Crunchyroll thing rather than a TV/studio thing. It's one way of trying to boost blu ray sales I suppose.

JulianImp

That HxH show... sheesh. It's actually hilarious how out of their way some ecchi shows go to justify the harenchi stuff. Looks like Prism Illiya's going to have some serious competition this season...

Meanwhile Ram doesn't even get screen time anymore.

I'd say that happened because she was mostly set up as a foil to Rem, and she kind of got over most things while bonding with Barusu far more than any other character, setting Rem up as his one and only "true ally".

The best part is that Subaru's being so much of a moron with a messiah complex that it makes Rem's feelings for him feel like a complete waste, all while he obssesses over helping Emilia for absolutely selfish reasons, and only because he has what amounts to impenetrable plot armor.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Is Rem the new Saya the fan favorite girl who's already lost the moment she appeared on screen?

Rem is the most popular character by a lot, but it's a bit ambiguous what happens in the later web novels since none of them are in English.

The anime is an adaptation of an LN which itself is the adaptation of a web novel. They could technically make a lot more of it if they adapted the web novel directly.

Mandelbo

The best part is that Subaru's being so much of a moron with a messiah complex that it makes Rem's feelings for him feel like a complete waste, all while he obssesses over helping Emilia for absolutely selfish reasons, and only because he has what amounts to impenetrable plot armor.

I think that's one of the saddest things about this for me. Rem's spent her whole life thinking it'd be better if she were dead, and that everything she does is only a fraction as good as what Ram could do, and in Subaru she's found someone that makes her feel as if life is worth living, that she isn't just a replacement. Subaru's seemingly voluntary ignorance of this in favour of endlessly chasing Emilia is infuriating to watch - when he's on the carriage back to the mansion after
Rem put him to sleep, the fact that he comes to the conclusion that she did it because she thinks he's worthless rather than because she wants to protect him
is mind boggling.

Seriously.

As far as we know this is the true ending! The author is just playing Emi shippers for a bit longer, then he'll just swap in Rem.

trejo

Some pretty cool discussions going on here for the past few pages. Looks like I'm going to have to check out shirobako at some point after all.

And hi there /XX/. Cuanto tiempo, eh?

Clov

Man I just realized, this season is gonna be rough for you if you're a fan of Berserk and Danganronpa.

Yeah, it probably is. At least my expectations for it are low from the start!

I really need to catch up on anime, but I've been too busy between work, traveling, and playing ZTD. I'll try to watch some new stuff tonight!

blurr

Come to think of it I have heard similar criticism towards Shirobako earlier although the person put it bluntly it came off in the wrong way but this discussion is a lot more insightful. I do remember the predicament of each of the main characters distinctly while they didn't exactly get the same amount of screen time it didn't feel like someone got "left out". I was mostly focused on the anime production and the challenges involved in each role. The characters felt real enough within the context of the whole show i.e. learning about anime production and the challenges involved.

CGI girl was interesting in the sense that her issues were more on grounds of repitition induced ennui in her previous job and whether it is worth risking her more secure job for a more volatile field in which she can avail a sense of satisfaction. Secondly, when she realizes that anything can come in useful in anime creation when she was praised for making great tyres. I don't know if CGI has much relevance beyond reducing the animator's work(feel free to point out anything I'm missing) so even if they could add more to her I don't know what.

John Blade

NOTE: THERE WILL BE SPOILER SO, IF YOU NEVER WATCH THIS SHOW, DON'T READ MY POST.

Impression Note:

Thank god Nagisa is okay as she only have a slight fever after the incident when she was in the rain without an umbrella. Kinda stupid she didn't bring one during a rainstorm as it's just common sense but as I start to know her personality a bit, she isn't the brightest characters as of now. Also, she is very weak person so...just be more careful of herself.

For Nagisa parent, I start to notice her dad look like an older version of Tomoya as they kind of have some same personalities trait when you hear them talking. Just a hunch right now but have a feeling they might have a strong bonding between them during this show. Also, like to know more of Nagisa parent as they look like an interesting couple.

Also, the same scene in the last two episode is here but this time you start to see some sort of story is coming out from it. Now, I am interested to see this small short story as it look like the young Nagisa is trying to teach the broken robot and from the look of it, the robot never feel this feeling before. Maybe foreshadowing something later?

Damm....this show is throwing in so many new characters which is going to be hard to develop tghem at all if they can keep on doing this. I guess we do a very quick list.

They is another new female characters who came in the bakery where Tonoya give her the cake for free. Can't say much and from the look of it, she know the parent well. Guess it might be the doctor but can't say.

A new male character, Yusuke, is introduce in a weird situation. I guess he talk too much to the point you have no clue what he is talking about at all (which is what you see after a small incident of a dent of someone else car). Look like he use to be a former musician but left for some reason. Can't say much of him really. Don't know if he will do anything much in this show but it's too early.

Another new female character, Yukine is introduce but this time in the library (or old unused one). She basically like to help people if they need some and you can see this when she help Tonoya and Nagisa for the club (well...more toward Nagisa to help her be confidence in speaking). Look like she know more about the school library based on what she talk with the two MC of the show.

I guess we need some more comedic relieve as we got to see Youhei getting shot down twice. Once at Tomoyo when he try to see if she is actually a male dress in female clothing (you wonder what make him decide this answer) and also when trying to pet a boar and get shot down at Kyou . Also, he is much more dumb than I expect after an incident when he overslept and Tonoya wake him up as is been 100 years past. Don't much to say about him as I don't sorry for him at all.

The scene where Tonoya saw Nagisa is eating with a sad face and she look up and then smile and wave at him is very touching. You kinda feel like she is trying to be more happy toward him for what she found out from the incident and feel sorry for it (even though it's not really her fault). At least the MC manage to keep her happy by asking her to call him if she need someone to talk to which is nice. Kinda want to pad Nagisa head over this few time. You can see she is very quiet and want to help even though she isn't really the right person to solve the issue sometime.

Ahh Fuuko is back again and basically another fun comedy skirt with her with Tonoya and Nagisa. I kinda like her a bit for the silly girl who like to make a wooden star. Basically, she want to get her knife back which Tonoya took and after few incident (which show she isn't another smart girl), she got it back. I don't know how important she is really in the story but she is just another random character who do funny scene and I have a feeling I won't able to light this all of the time so, hope she doesn't come back doing the same thing over and over.

The whole drama club and seeing Nagisa explain why she want to start the club to Tonoya is hard to watch as she doesn't really have a good answer from it. She eventually explain why she want to start it which is very strong speech and should have been use as an introduction of the club. Also, more discussion about Dango which look like she love it quite a bit. Unfortunately, this club might be in jeopardy as they didn't inform the student council about this. Not very smart......

Overall, another okay episode. It start to have too many random stuff now which might be fine if you like those slice of life show like me but it kinda push the main storyline on the side a bit and slow the pacing. Not saying this is a bad thing but I actually want to see more of the two MC and how they will develop during the show. The rest of the stuff doesn't look like important right now but I guess some of them will be important later on. Will see where it will go next.

ibyea

Banned
Zero Time Dilemma

We are not worthy of a game like Zero Time Dilemma. Good fucking Lord. Good luck to anyone even attempting to create something as compelling and incredibly complex as the Zero Escape series.

Yeah I personally liked it a whole lot, even if I do see why many don't like it as much.

ibyea

Banned
Man I just realized, this season is gonna be rough for you if you're a fan of Berserk and Danganronpa.

As a Danganronpa fan, I am going in with very low expectations, so it's okay. Although I went in Ace Attorney anime not expecting much and I was still disappointed...

As a Danganronpa fan, I am going in with very low expectations, so it's okay. Although I went in Ace Attorney anime not expecting much and I was still disappointed...

I'm going in just like I did with ZTD. I was sooo skeptical. All signs pointed at the game being rubbish (I mean, let's be real those trailers and gameplay vidsdid not do the game any favours) forgetting what is most important about the Zero Escape series, the writing and story execution. Game blew me away and far surpassed my expectations.

Maybe the Danganronpa anime will do the same. But just like with ZTD, things don't look that hot right now.

lonely

Not sure how I feel about the first half of Kuromukuro. It starts off strong then dips a little with poorly executed mecha tropes then picks it's self back up a bit before ending on an infuriating cliffhanger. Ken is a great main character though and his man out of time elements were my favorite part of the show. I'd recommend a binge on it but it might be better to wait until October to watch the whole thing in one go.

I feel sorry for all those Berserk and Danganronpa fans this season. I really do.

I know what it's like waiting for another entry in a series you love only for it to turn out as something that's the complete opposite of what you wanted it to be.

I'm sorry folks. I really am.

Gvitor

Zero Time Dilemma

We are not worthy of a game like Zero Time Dilemma. Good fucking Lord. Good luck to anyone even attempting to create something as compelling and incredibly complex as the Zero Escape series.

It's nice hearing good reactions to this game. I feel like the spoiler thread is filled with negativity, goddamn. Glad you enjoyed it as much as I did.

Yeah, by ep3 things are still slow and confusing, and way too many characters. It gets better around episode 4 or 5, actually, and then it's pretty damn good up until S1's end, imo.

--

Baby Steps 07-12

Maruo x Araya

Great match, even if I don't like the ending so much...

After they said there would be no tiebreak and them holding serve with Araya leading and Maruo tired as shit, it became very clear at which point it would end and who would win. During the match itself I was still on the fence. I also feel like they felt Araya should win because he never won, since Takuma was always there. I don't really like that, and it may very well not be true, but that's the impression that I had.

Mandelbo

I'm kinda glad that I got off the Danganronpa train after I played Another Episode. I imagine that me from a few years ago wouldn't be all that pleased with the plot from the original games getting wrapped up in an anime, given the quality of the original adaption :p

MSMrRound

I only wished that the upcoming Danganronpa anime went to a more capable animation studio but nooooo, we had to go back to Lerche, which did the uninspiring first season of Danganronpa.

Heard they handled Assassination Classroom in a pretty decent way so maybe there's some hope...but wait a minute...Seiji Kishi's handling the series? Oh boy...Danganronpa sacrificed itself to save other animes.

Still, we got the original creator writing the scenarios, so hopefully it can turn out halfway decent...*fingers crossed*

TUSR

Banned
Subaru's fascination with Emilia probably has something to do with her being originally introduced as Satella. There is no way he's not being playing.

It's either magic or bad character development.

The upcoming Danganronpa anime is supposed to be anime-original story, right? I'm tentatively more hopeful since that means it technically shouldn't suffer the same flaws that an adaptation would.

The upcoming Danganronpa anime is supposed to be anime-original story, right? I'm tentatively more hopeful since that means it technically shouldn't suffer the same flaws that an adaptation would.

It won't suffer from the same flaws as an adaptation.

But don't worry, it can still suffer from the inherent flaws of being directed by Seiji Kishi.

Tsukiuta The Animation Episode 1
CmsSDXpXEAApYjd.jpg:small
CmsW4OKXgAICjbn.jpg:small

Having a shota as the person in the typical otome lead role was kind of refreshing. It was funny since he didnt even knew who he was hanging out with for most of the day, and also really awesome when they made the reveal. Ill miss syunpei.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
New Game 1
I am amazed that Dogakobo animator managed to consistently make great character animation. The movement was great! This is still introduction episode, so not much happening other than introducing cast quirk. I did chuckle when Aoba stuck outside since the same thing happened to me before.

Never manage to find someone with no pants during work, but i did work with someone who decide to go topless due to broken AC. Will keep watching it since i need something comfy.

T-Rex.

Banned
Subaru's fascination with Emilia probably has something to do with her being originally introduced as Satella. There is no way he's not being playing.

It's either magic or bad character development.
My memory isn't the best so I could be wrong, but wasn't it established in the earlier episodes that he was a shut-in NEET in his own world? It's not a leap that a guy like that would cling to the first girl to show him some kindness in the new world he's ended up in.

I'm also on the Emilia is Satella train, though.

blurr

Idolm@ster CG S2 07

Damn, this was a very tense episode with a lot of conflicting choices for Anastasia and Rin. Director essentially made an offer they can't 'simply' refuse, not that there's a lot of materialistic incentive to it but that it really resonated with them personally. Picking that choice would mean that the Cinderella Project would be potentially jeopardized. They can continue to be in the same group but they are making it difficult for themselves.

The episode boils down to the themes: taking an opportunity and if you have already done that, further challenging yourself. Question is, at what cost.

The entire conflict between the Director and the Cinderella Project team was on the notion that they were restricting the amount of freedom girls had. The Director made a tempting offer and played their own card against them challenging the Producer to leave it to the girls. In hindsight, this was a smart move by her considering idols dropped out of the groups she formed out of personal distaste for it. Rightfully, she reaped the benefits of it as Anastasia and Rin decide to take up her offer by the end of it.

Karen and Nao saw it as long awaited opportunity appear in front of them in a form better than they had anticipated - they acknowledge it is difficult for Rin to agree to it and they do leave to her discretion but they make it clear that they are very keen on grouping up with her. Nao was empathetic towards Rin so she makes no protest to Rin's refusal but later changes her mind - empathy is good but is it really at the cost of your own future/dream? perhaps not but it's worth making it clear on what's at stake to the person in question even if it is difficult for them.

I have felt somewhat of a disconnect with Anastasia but her side of the story had clear messages regardless of that. She takes up the offer out of an urge to challenge herself, this was after learning about how others she knew were doing the same. It's not clear if that's a right/going to be a good thing to do but she won't know until she tries it.

Towards the end of the episode while both of their decisions had obvious consequences, it actually ended Rin's side of the story with a surprising consequence. I'm not sure how that came to be but let's see.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, I think that some of the issues here might be that someone looking at the show as being "five main girls and some supporting characters" has fundamentally missed where the character development is happening.

Characters like Kinoshita and Tarou are far more important to the story (and more developed) than any of Aoi's friends. For the most part, the Musashino Animiation staff are the protagonists (as Kinoshita might say). Someone like Zuka-chan is certainly set up early on and has her own role in the story, but for the most part it's happening in the background.
I mean, it didn't help that the show essentially set up the premise of girls in a club who conveniently work in a specific anime department ending up working in anime in the same positions. I took Aoi as the main, POV character, but I definitely expected the others to be as developed than the other cast members.

I mean, it didn't help that the show essentially set up the premise of girls in a club who conveniently work in a specific anime department ending up working in anime in the same positions. I took Aoi as the main, POV character, but I definitely expected the others to be as developed than the other cast members.

I think there's a bit of a mismatch between marketing and reality when it comes to Shirobako. Miyamori is the only main character - she receives the most screen time and through her life as a production assistant she is able to provide a central fulcrum around which all the other characters revolve. The other 4 club alumni are developed to various degrees, but not more so than the rest of the non-Miyamori characters who make up the cast. So if you're sitting around wondering why the other 4 girls aren't showing up more often, you're not going to be able to properly enjoy the show.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think there's a bit of a mismatch between marketing and reality when it comes to Shirobako. Miyamori is the only main character - she receives the most screen time and through her life as a production assistant she is able to provide a central fulcrum around which all the other characters revolve. The other 4 club alumni are developed to various degrees, but not more so than the rest of the non-Miyamori characters who make up the cast. So if you're sitting around wondering why the other 4 girls aren't showing up more often, you're not going to be able to properly enjoy the show.
Well, even then, for me Zuka is still the most interesting of the 5 girls anyway for reasons stated above/previously.

Well, even then, for me Zuka is still the most interesting of the 5 girls anyway for reasons stated above/previously.

Yeah, like I said earlier, she falls into the myth of the starving artist that is perhaps most easily understandable by a wide range of people when compared with the difficulties the others are experiencing in their artistic careers.

/XX/

Wow! On this day, around this time five years ago THE IDOLM@STER started its airing:

はりあ。 on Twitter: "ついに放送開始!!! と期待を膨らませたのも5年前。 アニメから入った方ももうベテランPですね。 https://t.co/3LPwZMhvvn"
https://twitter.com/hosizoraharrier/status/750707264781099008

Already? Time goes fast but in GORIPON I'll always trust!

And hi there /XX/. Cuanto tiempo, eh?
Lo siento, pero... ¡si aún no tienes cara no puedo reconocerte! :-D

Surprisingly, you have been more active lately in these threads than me, surpassed me... and because of this it is now your duty to continue like that and start watching SHIROBAKO, please. Share regularly those impressions! :)

P.D.: Keeping a tab open on SeHNNG's latest version of the series' glossary translation as you watch it is always recommendable.

Twin Star Exorcists Episode 13 – Your Courage, My Courage - Zero Millimeters Apart

Twin Star Exorcists really loves to
let the protagonists live for another day

Good episode especially at the climax moments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom