• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

blurr

Oh btw my watch queue is freed up a bit now that I've finished Death Parade - thinking about Samurai Flamenco but do tell me if there's anything else I could watch (preferably 13-26 episodes only). My MAL.

Cornbread78

Oh btw my watch queue is freed up a bit now that I've finished Death Parade - thinking about Samurai Flamenco but do tell me if there's anything else I could watch (preferably 13-26 episodes only). My MAL.

Kanon (2006)
Barakamon
Little Busters! (almost 40 episodes though)
Yona of the Dawn

Aikatsu! Stars 21

I didn't think too much about Yume's "power" at first because there really wasn't much to make of it before besides it making her give incredible performances despite her limited skill like some sort of Idol Tebow. Which, frankly, doesn't even need to be a "power". It could just be Yume performing best in an actual stage than in her training and practicing.

But it's a power, and apparently, this power is limited (much like Tebow). Except that if she uses this power too much/runs out of it/doesn't learn to control it, she will die. Like, actually die. At least that's what the headmaster's comment about "repeating the tragedy" seemed to imply.

So yeah, this element, assuming I'm understanding this correctly (and the show has still barely expounded on what this actually is), is stupid and I hate it. Too much drama is the one thing I don't want in my Aikatsu! and this screams it.

And somehow Hime is involved? I dunno. Maybe I'm misunderstanding and this is all way more benign than I'm making it out to be. Still, at least right now, I'd prefer if they just left this out altogether.
wtf? I need to catch up.

It's on your plan to watch list so why not watch Blue exorcist and its movie? It will prepare you for the *second season* and it's a very good shonen. It is very much worth the time.

And if you do, watch it dub, it's the best way to watch it.

Edit: I also suggest Soul Eater and Knight of Sidonia.

Line_HTX

So, will Stella no Mahou be better or worse than New Game? :p

What is this... Oh no. It's a MikeHattsu type of show.

You don't need to go the drama route, you can easily stick to more slice-of-life comedy without having to be shallow. But given the source material, there wasn't any real hope for New Game to begin with in that regard.

Though I fullly admit I have higher standards on the subject since a good portion of my career was in game development.

Xia is Yagami Ko IRL. :O

epxmVQ1.png

There needs to be a crossover between Euphonium and Shigatsu Kimi no Uso. Have an older Kousei transfer in as the keyboard/piano dude.

EWWW, no April please.

Gunslinger Girl would be worth your time.

Personally I couldn't finish watching Samurai Flamenco. I suspect it's a show best appreciated by those who have experience in and affection for toku/sentai shows.

blurr

It's on your plan to watch list so why not watch Blue exorcist and its movie? It will prepare you for the *second season* and it's a very good shonen. It is very much worth the time.

And if you do, watch it dub, it's the best way to watch it.

Edit: I also suggest Soul Eater and Knight of Sidonia.

Kanon (2006)
Barakamon
Little Busters! (almost 40 episodes though)
Yona of the Dawn

I probably shouldn't have linked my MAL -__- my actual list is in my phone but thanks for the suggestions.

Watch SamFlam

Cool

Gunslinger Girl would be worth your time.

Personally I couldn't finish watching Samurai Flamenco. I suspect it's a show best appreciated by those who have experience in and affection for toku/sentai shows.

I will check it out, thanks

Your Lie in April is... well, the anime is probably close to the best you could expect from an 100% faithful adaptation of the manga but the manga has a lot of flaws, painfully awkward juxtaposition of comedy and drama being foremost among them, that it would have been nice to see addressed.

Anime in general has that issue of awkwardly combining drama with comedy/anime tropes.

That edgy af show shonen action looking show that aired some seasons ago (if not last year) that also doubled as harem comedy hijinks lost any chance of being decent when one second they have the murder of a whole village an the next they have like a girl squishing her breasts onto the lead's face while the tsundere beat him up savagely.

Syrinx

wtf? I need to catch up.
I mean, I don't want you to get disappointed when you watch and get a completely different impression than what I have. I'm really doubting my own instincts here tbh.

See what Sterok or someone else watching this feels before you get any ideas about this element of the show.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes 030

That marks two times in this series the solution to a problem was "Lets strap a bunch of big-ass engines to this big-ass thing and move it"

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Amaama to Inazuma Episode 10

Man they have really been bad with knife safety in the past couple of episodes.

The student is a slut for food wow.

phaze

I want to know how Doga kobo manage to do that in almost every slice of life anime they made.
I wonder if there's any interview about how their studio work.

New game latest
Aoba just now realizing that she is a wageslave. Ah well, such is the reality of VG industry. Nice to see nene worried about Aoba. Hifumi and Ahagon remain best girls.

Lol, that Aoba face after ED song is greaaat.

Should be of interest then.

Speaking of which:
1. God he made two posts within last 2 months, what is this sorcery.
2. There's an Ilya vs Orange article on art direction which seems interesting.

Anime in general has that issue of awkwardly combining drama with comedy/anime tropes.

That edgy af show shonen action looking show that aired some seasons ago (if not last year) that also doubled as harem comedy hijinks lost any chance of being decent when one second they have the murder of a whole village an the next they have like a girl squishing her breasts onto the lead's face while the tsundere beat him up savagely.
Berserk ?

Don't watch Samurai Flamenco.

Arakawa/Mushishi/Texhnolyze/Saraiya Goyou/Ouran from your to do list I'd say. Additionaly Mononoke and Shigurui (the latter only if you don't mind blood)

phaze

?? Berserk's tone is fairly uniform in the Golden Age Arc, it then changes tones as it goes along to eventually be a more light hearted jrpg party game sure.

Well Puck is in current arc that's enough to call it awkward combination of drama and comedy.

Also, Akame ga Kill which you were probably thinking about was already 2 years ago so you can't blame for stretching your time coordinates and putting in a currently running show !

Twin Star Exorcists Ep 22

OK this has become one of my favourite anime, it's fluff but goddam what well made fluff. One thing that stood out to me this week in particular is how wthe music complements the scenes. Bass heavy electronic music for the kegare but to separate and emphasise Suzu the show gives her a metal theme. I particularly like Suzu the Basara getting herself 3 hype women one of whom has a classic boom box which makes everything better by default.

OK so the anime original arc is working out so far, the main risk with it is likely to be Sae related.
I suspect she's either the foretold child of the Twin Stars or she's the universe encouraging them to get on with it 'Hey you're both good with kids'

2. There's an Ilya vs Orange article on art direction which seems interesting.
Very good blog post cheers for pointing it out because yeah Ilya's background art is really goddam terrible thus season. I'm starting to suspect the only reason for the giant crater is to save on art costs

phaze

Casshern Sins 05

Plot-sama has arrived.

I'm willing to bet you misinterpreted those words since the sentence wasn't finished. Cue in, that moment in episode 23 where she realizes her vengeance was misguided.

Ascheroth

Twin Star Exorcists #22

I'm not sure what I expected from the new Basara, but definitely not a Metal Idol with her own group lol.
Interesting episode with the Dragon Spots, Magano spilling over into the real world and the mystery around Sae. Filler arc is delivering so far, this is going to be fun.

Twin Star Exorcist 22

McG0kdR.jpg

This episode was great and with this I can kinda assume I will like the filler.

I liked the show decided at random to go super blood/humanity is trash mode with that
Man and his wife.

Overall good episode and an interesting villain! Twin stars staying a great watch.

Even if the NX is the handheld/console hybrid I think I'm going to keep my limited edition majora's mask N3DS for the sentimentality

it's so pretty
I keep all my systems, LEs or not. I still have my Game Boy Color with Pokemon and it is both pristine and still works. I get attached to the things after spending so many hours with them.

Verelios

man i forgot how much shirobako's generic girl style kinda blew chunks
I feel like having that unbelievable moe blob style helped make the Zuka sections more palatable (not depressing) for every young post college NEET watching the show. Wouldn't want reality to hit too fast!

What if I haven't owned a PS4 yet though?

Well I'm speaking for myself here.

Even then for new users, you may as well just grab a regular PS4 which is $100 cheaper. I'd say it's a solid investment if you own a 4K TV. But then again, if what I am reading is correct, the system doesn't output legit 4K. And they showed me 0 proof that games will look that much better on the Pro. I mean I see 3rd party games on PC already, running on Ultra, and I am still okay with what I see on my vanilla PS4.

Anyway, not the right thread to talk about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom