• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

hQJTe47.gif

Somewhere out there DTL is fawning over this gif....

JulianImp

Yes, you need to get tickets from L-tike/Lawson with a specific time:
http://l-tike.com/event/madogatari/

Let me know if you'd want to meet up and go on the 24th or 25th.

Oh, and there's a limit of 2 tickets per person.

Nice! Guess I'll try to coordinate with my friends so that I can try purchasing the tickets later today. We leave Tokyo and head towards Osaka on the night of the 24th, so if anything we'll probably be there in the afternoon if we can. Otherwise, we might have to attend on the 22nd or 23rd, but I'm definitely not going to be missing out on this!

Nice! Guess I'll try to coordinate with my friends so that I can try purchasing the tickets later today. We leave Tokyo and head towards Osaka on the night of the 24th, so if anything we'll probably be there in the afternoon if we can. Otherwise, we might have to attend on the 22nd or 23rd, but I'm definitely not going to be missing out on this!

If you want goods you should probably go in the morning at 10:00.

Jintor

yeah it's just pleasant to watch and mildly yuri. also has really good animation for some fucking bizarre reason. and occasionally dope beats, god knows why.

delete persona. delete .gifs.

Why do I like New Game.....

Maybe because despite it being another run-of-the-mill CGDCT show, it doesn't take place in another freaking high school club room for once, and it has more diversity than others as well.

At least that's the impression I got from the little I've seen of it.

Cornbread78

It's the first time I've ever seen an anime ship two adult females, lol. Well, of course it's still "unofficial" but yeah, they will hook up in the final couple episodes, lol.

Maybe because despite it being another run-of-the-mill CGDCT show, it doesn't take place in another freaking high school club room for once, and it has more diversity than others as well.

Pretty accurate.

blurr

Maybe because despite it being another run-of-the-mill CGDCT show, it doesn't take place in another freaking high school club room for once...

that and it had some really well executed jokes/hilarious reactions paired with nice characters - Aoba's innocence and her presumptions towards work adds a lot to the charm

as someone who watched Yuru Yuri in parallel this has significantly less yuri moments

Jintor

I'm just glad it stopped making the "lol look she sleeps at the office in her undies" joke that got stale like five minutes before they even made the joke

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Did it improve past the first three episodes?
It's never very funny. The characters are well designed and likable, which maybe goes far enough for me. I should just watch more Amanchu though.

blurr

I assume these happen from episode four onward.

Yes, past the first three episodes.

I think one of the more memorable ones was
when the motion team (genki)girl fantasizes about being the president of the company, following which everyone say they'd leave the company if she was one leaving her devastated (we see her fantasy visually breaking down hilariously).

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
yeah it's just pleasant to watch and mildly yuri. also has really good animation for some fucking bizarre reason. and occasionally dope beats, god knows why.

I want to know how Doga kobo manage to do that in almost every slice of life anime they made.
I wonder if there's any interview about how their studio work.

New game latest
Aoba just now realizing that she is a wageslave. Ah well, such is the reality of VG industry. Nice to see nene worried about Aoba. Hifumi and Ahagon remain best girls.

Lol, that Aoba face after ED song is greaaat.

sonicmj1

delete persona. delete .gifs.

Why do I like New Game.....

dimb flaemed at him and tried to blew him up. But then the waifu gifs fell and they were trapped and not able to flame.
“No! I must kill the otaku” he shouted
The radio said “No, dimb. You are the otaku”

project itoh Harmony

I feel like I was suppose to feel some things while watching this, but I never felt much of anything else then bored and lost. Sure, some images were shocking and all but they never got me. From the looks of it though that ending was quite depressing.

Barakamon 2-END

This was funny, full of happiness and was super pretty. I really liked Handa, Naru and the rest of the villagers. They all felt unique and intesresting. Also boy did I tell how pretty this show is?

Garo the animation 1-4

This is fine. I like the characters designs so far and the fights look cool. It's a shame I'm not very fond of the music in the opening since it looks so nice and cool, it is also one of the rare jam project songs I don't really like. The ending is cool though.

blurr

Death ̶N̶o̶t̶e̶ Parade 10-12 END

Hmm, its (somewhat deliberate) misunderstanding of humans and consequently, the spitefully deceptive test of judgement with a binary output left a sour taste in my mouth early on and unfortunately it stuck around way longer than expected.

Despite the show admitting to those fundamental flaws which was also core to its overarching plot I was not a fan of how indulgent it was before the revelation was made. I couldn't really feel the gravity of the drama involving those being judged knowing how wrong everything already is at a fundamental level. The second episode talked about the subtleties of human emotion which was very interesting to watch and hear but that moment was brief and is undermined by the more glaring issues with the plot.

Through the course of the show, I had hoped for two things: one being its admittance to misunderstanding people which was a tad late but it took place really well. Secondly, I had hoped it would question its binary output - does it really acknowledge that their current criteria for executing a person's judgement implies that everyone is capable of reincarnation, heaven or what not. This was not explicit in the show at the very least and I am a little disappointed at that considering how significant it is to the overarching plot.

The show's excuse for their judgement system was cited to be because it was basically easier and that human empathy will only make it difficult for them to perform their role. It was also implied that they officially disregard any understanding or knowledge of how the world is from a moral/philosophical point of view. Implications are cool things to present/talk about a universe but I don't really think they are a good thing for something so fundamental to its setting.

My qualms aside, I will admit to some episodes being genuine entertaining and intense albeit they were few and I felt it really could've used more of them early on. It was nice to see Decim finally gain an understanding of humans through empathy with his experience interacting and observing Chiyuki so the conclusion was good in one sense.

It is terrific in terms of character animation as it showcased it a wide range of situations - nuanced, emotionally agitated and even during an intense action sequence. It's definitely a treat for sakuga fans.

Overall I really like the narrative goals but I am so not happy with the way it was progressed and presented. From what I had heard, I had high hopes for this show and I going by what I saw, I don't think I overestimated it. It just didn't go well with me.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

The main issue is that Shirobako set a pretty high bar for this type of show.

New Game is a fluffy cute girl 4-koma. It's serialized in a Manga Time Kirara magazine after all. So despite being set in a workplace, it's a very different kind of work from Shirobako, which is a conflict-filled workplace drama fundamentally grounded in the real world despite fanciful embellishments.

Copper

Hibike! Euphonium 1-13

Finally got around to watching this so I have the second season to watch in the fall.
Really solid series. As someone who's been heavily involved in high school band I can relate a lot to what the characters are going though. I really loved how detailed everything is this series was. The instruments we're very well drawn and I'm not sure but it sounded like that actually had real concert bands play for music. I really like how they went the extra mile here and it pays off. Looking forward to the next season. The yuri baiting is strong.

blurr

It is closer to Sore ga Seiyuu than Shirobako albeit I think even then New Game pales as a drama in contrast. Sore ga Seiyuu can be thoughtful while New Game is borderline trivia.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
New Game is a fluffy cute girl 4-koma. It's serialized in a Manga Time Kirara magazine after all. So despite being set in a workplace, it's a very different kind of work from Shirobako, which is a conflict-filled workplace drama fundamentally grounded in the real world despite fanciful embellishments.
Exactly. Last time i checked, new game never talked about the glory of exterior collisions.

Aside from the setting it never really implied a Shirobako-level drama/narrative.
Yup. At no point have I felt that New Game was pretending to be anything outside of a cute girls doing cute things except the girls are in their 20s and set in a video game dev company.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Aside from the setting it never really implied a Shirobako-level drama/narrative.

You don't need to go the drama route, you can easily stick to more slice-of-life comedy without having to be shallow. But given the source material, there wasn't any real hope for New Game to begin with in that regard.

Though I fullly admit I have higher standards on the subject since a good portion of my career was in game development.

Syrinx

Aikatsu! Stars 21

I didn't think too much about Yume's "power" at first because there really wasn't much to make of it before besides it making her give incredible performances despite her limited skill like some sort of Idol Tebow. Which, frankly, doesn't even need to be a "power". It could just be Yume performing best in an actual stage than in her training and practicing.

But it's a power, and apparently, this power is limited (much like Tebow). Except that if she uses this power too much/runs out of it/doesn't learn to control it, she will die. Like, actually die. At least that's what the headmaster's comment about "repeating the tragedy" seemed to imply.

So yeah, this element, assuming I'm understanding this correctly (and the show has still barely expounded on what this actually is), is stupid and I hate it. Too much drama is the one thing I don't want in my Aikatsu! and this screams it.

And somehow Hime is involved? I dunno. Maybe I'm misunderstanding and this is all way more benign than I'm making it out to be. Still, at least right now, I'd prefer if they just left this out altogether.

blurr

As someone who is in the games industry as well, I was certainly hoping for it to be comparable to Shirobako and I understand in that sense. While unfortunately it wasn't, to my surprise it turned out to be charming regardless of its relevance to the games scene in Japan.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
As someone who is in the games industry as well, I was certainly hoping for it to be comparable to Shirobako and I understand in that sense. While unfortunately it wasn't, to my surprise it turned out to be charming regardless of its relevance to the games scene in Japan.
Even though my tolerance of cute girls doing cute things isnt high, I'll see where it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom