• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I'll just say that that's usually a minus in my book. Because if you really can't guess where the plot is going, that often means the narrative is not following any rules of logic but instead pulling out constant "shocking" twists to try to surprise the audience instead of having believable character motivations and an internally consistent world. That's cheap, disposable storytelling.
Well, I get what you mean. However, what I'm specifically referring to is, specifically to me, the ability to know exactly where a shitty/generic story is going right from the get go. I don't think that's good storytelling, just super boring. What I really enjoy is thinking I know what's going on and having the show intelligently subvert my expectations which this show does quite well. One of my all-time favorites that also does this is Hunter x Hunter. Both keep the narrative and the internal-logic constant, but the characters aren't the only things living in the world. They're affected by their environment.

This show is absolutely great.

Phatmac

Again, I don't think her intention is to change the future so she doesn't marry her husband and not have her baby. I think her intention is to cherish the memories she had with her friends, and to possibly try and save this friend because he died very tragically. I'm sure near the end of the letter she'll tell her past self to be with the red haired dude because she loves her family.

If the show really ended with them saving him and then a new future where she's married to him, I'm pretty sure that'd be tasteless as fuck.
That's why I'd hope for but I feel they'll drop the husband plot and just end on the mc and Kakeru being a couple at the end. Hopefully it's written better than I expect.

That's why I'd hope for but I feel they'll drop the husband plot and just end on the mc and Kakeru being a couple at the end. Hopefully it's written better than I expect.

I feel the show has enough hype and ratings where if that's the ending it wouldn't be nearly as well regarded. But I can't exactly spoil myself with no info out there on how it ends.

Mailbox

Jeez I'm going to give a try to that stupid Re:Zero thing, am I right?

Sure, give it a go. But if you do, you'll have to at least get through until the end of 1B. 1A really doesn't show you what the show is really about.

Also, don't listen to NaDannMaGoGo. Bad tastes and always hating.

Jarmel

Banned
Sweetness and Lightning-
mS19PLM.jpg

This is how teachers get into trouble.
I don't normally like this type of show but I really connected with this one for a number of reasons. I think the mother aspect gives it a haunting feeling that gives the show another component so it's not just happy happy times for all. It not only makes the father more human and relatable but also makes his interactions with his daughter more meaningful as a result. The animation in the first episode was suprisingly good as there's a sense of weight to many of the characters' movements even just from shifting left to right.
I thought this was a good segue into the flashback, reminds me of something I would see in live action. The daughter is too cute.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Re:Zero?

More like Fate/Zero.

Urobuchi eat your puppet heart out.

Thinking of dropping it. The concept of leaving behind your family in order to try and save someone from high school is just insulting. Hopefully they can remain friends instead of erasing the child she has in the future.

In her naivety, I don't think she understands the risk she is provoking with the letter, she hasn't stopped to think carefully the consequences, right now she only wanted to save him and avoid regrets.

Of course, we don't know how the hell she has sent a letter to the past in the first place!

gargles

Euro 2016 - Final

This is the perfect ending. Santos, I hate you. But at the same time... I fucking love you. I love you all.

European Champions. This won't happen again. Not with this kind of plot, not with this kind of progression. But it ended like this. What a dream. Please don't wake me up.

(Subaru's suffering was nothing compared to this)

I'll just say that that's usually a minus in my book. Because if you really can't guess where the plot is going, that often means the narrative is not following any rules of logic but instead pulling out constant "shocking" twists to try to surprise the audience instead of having believable character motivations and an internally consistent world. That's cheap, disposable storytelling.

I respectfully disagree.

Not knowing where the plot is going can be a huge factor that can add to one's enjoyment of a show.

I had no idea where Eureka Seven, Madoka Magica, and Gurren Lagann, were going and those ended up as some of my favorite shows with tons of believable character motivations and an internally consistent world.

I especially hate it when I see people say that Madoka relies on shock value. It's like they're ignoring everything about the characters and their motivations for making their wishes. I went into Madoka completely blind, completely lost as to where it was going and it blew me away. If I knew that Homura
was actually a time traveler and everything we've seen in the show up until episode 10 was an iteration of events that she's been through hundreds of times
going into the show, it wouldn't nearly have had the same impact. That's a good example of a shocking plot twist. It completely shatters everything you knew about the show's world beforehand and makes you see everything in an entirely new way. Done well, that can be a fantastic element of a show.

That's not to say there are some cases where you're right on what you're saying. Cross Ange would be an example in that regard as a show that has absolutely no logic or good character moments and the only reason people kept talking about was for all the plot twists and shock value, despite how poor everything else was.

Now I know you're going to reply to this post and say, "but what about Samurai Flamenco?", and I'll respond with my belief that the show still has genuinely good character moments and logic despite all the twists it throws at you.

A show that's unpredictable can be very good. It's about how the show handles its plot twists in relation to how it handles its characters, and the world those characters live in.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Re:Zero 15

AOTY, hands down. Love Jojo, but is amazing, and surprising in new ways, week after week. Remember those hater posts about how we all need to quit watching this edgy edgelord filth cause it's just going to be lame?

We would have missed this delightful suffering with amazing animation, amazing soundtrack, and insane voicework.

so.... more edgelord stuff? no thanks

Phatmac

It's a shame such a strange story has a poor adaptation especially for anime-only people. This show only really pleases VN fans since it's highlighting some fun parts from the early game. It's surprised to be an original route though so I'll keep watching. I forgot how amazing the OST is for the game and hearing it again is a blast. The OP is incredible so no complaints there.

Dragon Ball Super 51

Black did the thing where you catch a bunch of bullets mid air and crush them. I love that every single time I see it. Black's smart tho, if I was a villain I'd kill Karin first so they couldn't get any more bullshit senzu beans.

I hope every arc has Beerus and Whis lazing around eating food and getting annoyed when people ask them to help.

Ange Vierge 01

Wow this is too crappy even for me. And I like Cross Ange, Symphogear and watched all of Valkyrie Drive but this show isn't like any of those. This is just boring with tons of bad exposition and meaningless terms. Although its pretty shamelessly goofy that everyone just sits in baths nude when not fighting generimonsters. The show switches to different characters three times and each time the groups are nude and in a different bath. Except they are also naked in common areas and while sleeping and everything else???? Even the robots???? There are like twenty fucking characters in this first episode so whenever anyone talks to each other they say their full name or their long ass title in the most awkward who gives a shit way possible. This is some Absolute Duo tier garbage.

And it also has no Nana Mizuki. Trash.

Concrete Revolutio 23

Hi, Aikawa.

Yeah, the detonation of the atomic bomb isn't going to bring as much peace as you think, Satomi.

You can really feel how the show is crunching at the end here to get in all the story it wants to tell within the allotted episode count. The very end of this episode, when Kikko was narrating, was clearly "Oh shit, the last episode is coming up so we need to throw in some fast-forward exposition to set up the final battle." This speaks to poor planning, perhaps, since the Vietnam and especially the Olympics episode could have been excised in favor of more episodes devoted to elaborating more central plot threads. Maybe even some of the stories from the first season could have been cut, though I really liked most of them and am liking how much of them are being referenced now in the climax. In the end, it comes down to being a little more ambitious than the production constraints allowed for.

Still, I'm enjoying this ultimate working out of the interesting societal and moral themes. What is justice?

phaze

Jeez I'm going to give a try to that stupid Re:Zero thing, am I right?

It's like Turin Turambar's tale but without the incest.

(I reread Silmarillion a week ago and I've been dying to make some kind of dig relating to your namesake and his story, sorry ! )

Gilles de Rais just showed up in Re:Zero.
Let's not insult true Gilles de Rais by ascribing his name to that so historically inaccurate blasphemy that is F/Z's caster !

It's like Turin Turambar's tale but without the incest.

(I reread Silmarillion a week ago and I've been dying to make some kind of dig relating to your namesake and his story, sorry ! )

Given this is anime we are talking about, it feels weird saying "but without the incest". Usually it would be the other way around! :p

And this is why James Cameron is the greatest director to have ever lived. Numbers don't lie.

And the Academy Award for Sweet Explosions Bro goes to...

Michael Bay

*applause*

This is Michael Bay's fiftieth nomination and fourty second win, his previous awards being given by all of the sick fucking fire in Transformers when the scene was all WOOSH and KAPOW

Eumi

Man, I should watch Re:Zero.

But I probably won't.

I also shouldn't watch Danganronpa when that starts.

But I probably will.

Why am I here? Just to suffer?

ibyea

Banned
Again, I don't think her intention is to change the future so she doesn't marry her husband and not have her baby. I think her intention is to cherish the memories she had with her friends, and to possibly try and save this friend because he died very tragically. I'm sure near the end of the letter she'll tell her past self to be with the red haired dude because she loves her family.

If the show really ended with them saving him and then a new future where she's married to him, I'm pretty sure that'd be tasteless as fuck.

You underestimate anime's ability to be tasteless as fuck. :p

You underestimate anime's ability to be tasteless as fuck. :p

I haven't read it myself, but I've seen a lot of praise for the Orange manga (which is complete) from a wide array of sources. I find it difficult to believe people would praise it so much if the story boiled down to "I'm going to kill my baby through time-travel so I can hook up with a different high school crush."

Kieli

eh, depends on how timelnes work

is this one where when hers change, it all changes

or is it the one where futures diverge so that future-her is different from present-future-her.

ibyea

Banned
I haven't read it myself, but I've seen a lot of praise for the Orange manga (which is complete) from a wide array of sources. I find it difficult to believe people would praise it so much if the story boiled down to "I'm going to kill my baby through time-travel so I can hook up with a different high school crush."

Sorry, I was mostly joking. ^_^

If they save Kakeru I dont understand how it would be tasteless if she somehow ends with him. Its not like she and Suwa married when they were 17 before Kakeru tragically died in an accident.

eh, depends on how timelnes work

is this one where when hers change, it all changes

or is it the one where futures diverge so that future-her is different from present-future-her.

she already changed one thing she did differently, an the future timeline didn't change so butterfly effect didn't seem to change. But we're only two episodes in I guess we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom