• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Been sort of down on Re:Zero for a while because most of it was just really boring, but this week's episode was actually really impressive. In spite of the sometimes cheap looking character designs that really start to pop up as you veer into the Witch's Cult, there is a finer visual eye that highlights a strong attention to detail. Characters are extremely expressive, and this episode in particular highlights both the subtle and over the top character acting. Whenever horrific or violent imagery enters the picture it feels thoughtfully framed enough to actually match the tone of despair that the show strives for. It does not really revel in its gore for shock value, and the moments in which it becomes graphic tend to feel like they coincide with the more intense emotional peaks.

Even with a villain almost hamming it up to a point that is exceedingly goofy, this episode's disturbing and almost hauntingly hopeless imagery still hit their marks. The pacing deployed here is kind of remarkable. Even with a main character that was basically catatonic, that low point felt like it had been properly established, and the gradual fall to a point even further down was inevitable. But while things are there the contempt for this over the top villain is built up, and we do see just the right glimmer of hope that reignites the main character to focus his desire to change things on a very specific goal. You get the cheery sunset, and there's definitely something to how it fades in the background as the characters march back to a scene that we know will be dark, but the visual imagery works to surprise the viewer and reveal new information.

In the clutter of all these other adaptations that often feel like train cars jerking back and forth until they completely derail themselves, having an episode this carefully storyboarded is something pretty special. It not only fits into the larger narrative, but it feels very satisfying and worthwhile as its own distinct piece. Not really going into "whoa, anime of the year" territory or anything close to that, but there is a lot of stuff to like here.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Re:Zero Episode 15

Oh man the Geuse was better than I expected.

Rem is Love

Cool to see Puck's real form, but he's kind of an asshole lol.

Qurupeke

Even with a villain almost hamming it up to a point that is exceedingly goofy, this episode's disturbing and almost hauntingly hopeless imagery still hit their marks. The pacing deployed here is kind of remarkable. Even with a main character that was basically catatonic, that low point felt like it had been properly established, and the gradual fall to a point even further down was inevitable. But while things are there the contempt for this over the top villain is built up, and we do see just the right glimmer of hope that reignites the main character to focus his desire to change things on a very specific goal. You get the cheery sunset, and there's definitely something to how it fades in the background as the characters march back to a scene that we know will be dark, but the visual imagery works to surprise the viewer and reveal new information.

The villain was definitely goofy but I think that was exactly the point. The motif of the episode was about madness and the viewer witnessed both a passive and an aggressive form of insanity. His character didn't seem out of place, his cartoonish appearance and behavior just added an even more disturbing vibe to the atmosphere. I really liked how energetic he seemed, while Subaru was chained and motionless. His entire monologue and actions were the perfect antithesis to the main character's mental condition, the two sides of the same coin. Tbh, I'm really impressed, as I had noticed him on the second OP but I was certain he would be a pretty standard "clown-like" villain.

Concrete Revolutio 24 END

I'm not sure if this is Shou Aikawa and Seiji Mizushima's best work, since the ending was very compressed. But it's certainly the work where Aikawa et al had the most to say and got a lot of it out in a fairly meaningful manner. Honestly, I can't think of a more ambitious anime right now, both in the number of plot threads it attempts to follow and connect and in the multitude of social/political/historical/philosophical/ethical questions and issues it engages with. Perhaps it bit off a bit more than it could chew, but normally when I say that about an anime it means that it was trying to concoct a preposterously complicated fantasy world not that it was seriously raising so many real-world problems. For that alone, Concrete Revolutio deserves praise.

Go_Ly_Dow

France vs Portugal - Euro 2016 Finale

For a typical shounen hero, Ronaldo sure does like to keep things unpredictable and suspensful. Normally these shounen heroes like to take the limelight and save the day and Ronaldo did just that with his touchline appearance at the end rallying his boys on.

10/10.

g.r.e.

The credit roll scene was perfect, it felt like when you play Castlevania and you get the bad ending. ;_;

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The villain was definitely goofy but I think that was exactly the point.
Yeah, it's very easy for those kinds of characters to go wrong, but the context and animation really let this character work for many of the reasons you described.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I want a story about the two witch cult members that were looking at each other. They remind me of Henchmen #21 and #24 from Venture Bros.

Dude, you said this was a normal job that you found at a job fair. Now we have black robes on, we are falling through the floor, and our boss is crazier than Krazy Glue.

KraytarJ

ReLife END
Well that was dumb, such a cliched and dumb ending. Show was okay on the whole I guess, not particularly great or anything. An overall very okay start to the summer season.

France vs Portugal - Euro 2016 Finale

For a typical shounen hero, Ronaldo sure does like to keep things unpredictable and suspensful. Normally these shounen heroes like to take the limelight and save the day and Ronaldo did just that with his touchline appearance at the end rallying his boys on.

10/10.

Watch ginga e kickoff in honor of Ronaldo sama.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
VWmIaAM.png
When you despair so hard you grow a realistic nose and mouth.

Holy shit, I can't even. This is the one that just made me really fall in love with this anime. I can't believe how dark this shit is, but Subaru really shines in how human he is. Well to me at least.

Ok I just finished Zeta Gundam and apart from certain women which drove me insane I enjoyed it but I have one big question about the ending.

Does Kamille just go insane at the end?Is it because of Scirocco psycho pressure? Or is it something else?

Also how could Char survive that explosion...

Handa-Kun 1

First episode was good, really enjoyed the fourth walling breaking bit with the Handa fan club or whatever there name was. Only thing that bothered me was the change in VA for Handa, from Daisuke Ono to Nobunaga Shimazaki. It's not like Shimazaki is bad or anything, and I think he does suit the character, but I can't really forget Handa with Ono's voice and that's who I think of when I think of that character so, I dunno if I'll be able to get used it or not.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey

Holy shit, I can't even. This is the one that just made me really fall in love with this anime. I can't believe how dark this shit is, but Subaru really shines in how human he is. Well to me at least.
He's going to humanly and realistically turn deranged and psychotic, because it's pretty much a one way ticket with all the mental and physical abuse the dude's taken.

It would be pretty wild if he does end up as the Witch's servant, even though, dare I say it, his pride won't let him? This is the only show that makes me eagerly look forward to it each week.

tuffy

Ok I just finished Zeta Gundam and apart from certain women which drive me insane I enjoyed it but I have one big question about the ending.

Does Kamille just go insane at the end?Is it because of Scirocco psycho pressure? Or is it something else?
Kamille goes into some sort of spaced-out comatose state brought on by Scirocco's intense Newtype aura, and the need for a new lead for Gundam ZZ.
And Reccoa is just the worst.
Also how could Char survive that explosion...
The Hyaku-Shiki comes equipped with the finest plot armor.

Copper

Holy shit that Re:zero episode was something else. I was literally speechless and shed a tear which is something I rarely do. I'm already crafting some theories though. Subaru is going to have to pull something crazy if no ones ends up dying.

Also why does Re:zero not have its own thread?

Cornbread78

Tales of Zestiria the X ep.2

I really liked this the way they animated this early scene from the game. Great introduction of Alisha and Sorey as their adventures cross paths and their fates collide. Still love the music they added from the game as well as anime original

The Disastrous Life of Saiki K. Episode 6 Hot-Blooded! Dodgeball! (Part 1)

The sound effect when he tosses the ball into the cart is the best. Someone had fun selecting the sound for that. Also the random screen when Saiki gave the smirk about going full power.

Hairo is perfect in this anime.
CnCnE_DXYAAFu06.jpg:small

Whew I had to join in on the fun downstairs. Toronto is literally about to shut down because of the Euro. I live in a Portuguese neighborhood so it's nice to be able to celebrate with your own. Tons of pics were taken, tons of high-fives, shouts, and just pure joy.

Now I'll go despair a little with Re:Zero. This time for real.

Thoraxes

Hundred - 12

Deus ex machina.

When the sister got her legs healed I laughed.

I regret wasting the time it took to finish finish this.

gargles

Whew I had to join in on the fun downstairs. Toronto is literally about to shut down because of the Euro. I live in a Portuguese neighborhood so it's nice to be able to celebrate with your own. Tons of pics were taken, tons of high-fives, shouts, and just pure joy.

Now I'll go despair a little with Re:Zero. This time for real.

After these 120 minutes... better, after this whole month?, they could throw at me every inch of suffering they have I would handle it perfectly. This Euro was the perfect training program to handle suffering and despair.

And congrats!

(but yes, that Re:Zero episode is tough to watch. But it's brilliant. Still not my AOTY and behind Kiznaiver and Rakugo, but it does has a big chance to get the trophy)

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Rezero 15

The best single episode of anime I have seen in years. Chills from start to finish. Gulf between this show and anything else I've watched this year was already high, but this episode is literally perfection.

He's going to humanly and realistically turn deranged and psychotic, because it's pretty much a one way ticket with all the mental and physical abuse the dude's taken.

It would be pretty wild if he does end up as the Witch's servant, even though, dare I say it, his pride won't let him? This is the only show that makes me eagerly look forward to it each week.

I gotta agree with you there, I haven't had this in a while where I was really looking forward to a show's new episode every week.

Also it would make some sense that the Witch needs him for something though at least, so far we don't know jackshit about the motives, but this week we finally got a sliver of a hint it seems.

After all the praise for it I started Concrete Revolutio even though I got the impression that it wouldn't be type of show. Am liking it so far.

Now some of you mentioned that the Japanese political background of some period provides some more context/reference to stuff going on here and I was wondering if there's anything I should read up to get more out of this show.

Narag

After all the praise for it I started Concrete Revolutio even though I got the impression that it wouldn't be type of show. Am liking it so far.

Now some of you mentioned that the Japanese political background of some period provides some more context/reference to stuff going on here and I was wondering if there's anything I should read up to get more out of this show.

Not really. Almost anything of importance has a real world analogue with similar results though. Think there's a list of the first cour stuff that KenjiGlove compiled in the ConRevo OT for later review.

Kamille goes into some sort of spaced-out comatose state brought on by Scirocco's intense Newtype aura, and the need for a new lead for Gundam ZZ.
And Reccoa is just the worst.

The Hyaku-Shiki comes equipped with the finest plot armor.
Alright, that's what I was thinking but for all the praise Zeta gundam was getting I wasn't expecting such an ending. Anti-climatic and all.

Also quick observation but for all the complaints Kira got for surviving the aegis self-destruct in SEED I think Char doesn't give his place with that explosion lol.

ibyea

Banned
Concrete Revolutio: 21
Real world event comparison wise, there is the bit of the OPEC induced oil crisis of the 1970s mentioned.

Huh, for once Jirou isn't exactly sure what he should be doing when confronted with the point of views whether justice should be held by establishing order and defending the state versus violent means.

I do really have to commend the action scene with Raito. I wish I had other words for it other than awesome.

And damn do I appreciate all the callbacks and reappearance of plot points from previous episodes. It really does make you feel like it all matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom