• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Games Done Quick 2016 OT | July 3rd - July 10th | Gotta go fast!

I know this is kind of late to post here but hey GUYS HELLO I'm ready for another SGDQ with you, I have a lot of problems right now but I will try to keep my mind busy and be happy

Coonce

What's the story behind that "apologies for the good ending" tweet that was shown on stream? I haven't been watching closely.

Bloodthunder was running Bioshock 1, and there was a donation incentive for bad ending, which ended up winning.

He screwed up and loaded a backup save from a previous night, which had the good ending loaded up instead.

Bioshock endings work by how many little sisters you harvest, so if you save them all you can't change it by the end of the game.

also I have to mention -

when I got to this part in Dishonored, I was like really?
another betrayal?
I felt like I saw it coming from a mile away.

Yesss torn between worrying about the kid who got his first job and used it to donate almost 1500 dollars, and celebrating getting to see Knife of Dunwall

Wait, did I miss Dishonored or was it the DLC that was scheduled?

i've had dishonored sitting in my library for years, i gotta play this, it looks really good
It's really good. I didn't expect to like it as much as I did. Played it super stealth, no alarms, no kills and had a blast. Definitely give it a shot.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
This is so monumentally boring after Dishonored.

SGDQ feels like it is honestly being dominated by games like this one where it's more about fast play and layout memorization not particularly technical or high level play.

Like for example this TNO run feels super unimpressive, I just feel like I'm watching a really fast LPer who is skipping cutscenes and already knows where all the exits are.

A good speed run is one that has you going "there is no way I could ever do that" but runs like this make you think "yeah I could probably do this after 5 play throughs of the campaign".

I think on one of my TNO achievement runs I finished the game in like slightly over 3 hours which is only an hour over the estimated run of the game and that makes the run feel even more unimpressive when I remember just how effortless my run felt, if the runner was finishing the game in like 45 minutes I'd be mind blown.

It's kind of hard to explain but I feel like games like this aren't suited to being speed run because they're so straightforward and I also feel like what makes a speed run interesting at it's core is the movement, if there isn't a weird movement gimmick it some how feels less technically impressive.

You know what game would make a great speed running game? Return to Castle Wolfenstein, because you can bhop in that game, and the levels are absolutely huge and probably full of crazy skip potential.

But maybe I'm just getting too picky and losing sight of what the event is all about.

I considered making a thread about just how off GDQ events have felt for the last few years ,where ever since they ran that burger king game it feels like every runner is trying to find their own "meme" game to run at the event in hopes of recreating that glorious moment but they're forgetting that it's all about the timing and attitude of the runner which makes the whole thing not the game you're running, and because of this I feel like we've gotten a bunch of "why the fuck are we even running these games?" games in these events, like that caveman run last night where he ran the rapid angel.

For what purpose? No one had heard of the game, the game isn't exactly a hidden gem, and the run was an absolute snooze fest but at least it was only 25minutes long and thankfully cavemandcj is pretty funny but still I couldn't help but feel like it was just a total filler event with absolutely no thought put behind it.

But again maybe im just being overly cynical about this and I've had the misfortune of missing the great runs we've had this weekend.

Cyrano

But again maybe im just being overly cynical about this and I've had the misfortune of missing the great runs we've had this weekend.
You're definitely being overly cynical. The reason you don't see monumentally technical runs is because it's impossible to execute those runs consistently. Without consistency it's difficult to actually show those runs to people. And as you say, a lot of the runs are about commentary and explaining how breaking any individual game works, which is in many cases impossible for the player while playing at the same time in highly technical runs. There is an entertainment aspect here that I think you're missing as well as a nostalgia one for people who are newer to GDQ.

These players are not trying to set WR times or beat the game with new tricks never revealed before, because doing that is risky and jeopardizes the run itself. What's more, there's also just the factor that a lot of the very technical pieces of runs are invisible, such as Four Swords Adventures where they needed 12 frame-perfect inputs to get through a wall. That's extremely difficult to do but it's difficult to show to somebody when the result is just passing through a wall rather than the game going crazy.

A good speedrun for a speedrunning marathon is one that is consistent (Mario speedruns, Zelda, etc.) and has an audience (Pokemon, Mega Man, etc.) or is particularly entertaining (Burger King). Only a handful will be both technical and consistent. It disqualifies a lot of games from the outset, but for the purposes of not having issues of failed runs (because it screws up the timing of the rest of the marathon) or people being really disappointed when a trick doesn't work (and thus leaving the stream thinking the runners aren't skilled/don't know what they're doing), I think it's worth it. Losing the audience is the worst thing you can do in these charity marathon streams and having games where things are likely to fail is going to exacerbate those issues.

Top Bottom