• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive |OT| It's Always Sunny in the Apocalypse

So I got home yesterday, loaded the game, and got presented with the hot chick body type, pixie faced, pigtails, hotpants, bikerboots and the layered tank top. This conversation followed my amazement (please note that we were in seperate rooms):
- "Honey, have you been playing Sunset Overdrive?"
- "Yes, I wanted to try it out. I played around with the character creator for a bit, hope you don't mind, you change it back to whatever you want right?"
- "Yeah, no problem, I was just wondering.... the outfit you pic"
- "I thought it looked cool, so I went to the store." at this moment she steps into the living room rocking pigtails, wearing hotpants and a tanktop "I couldn't find the bikerboots, though, so I hope these high heeled boots are good enough."

Almost no SO was played yesterday.

Almost?

E92 M3

Welp, I'm pretty much done with this challenge. Not sure how the top dude got 5682, but kudos to him.

7MNeeTul.jpg

I need to get on the challenges and start beating your scores ;)

p3tran

Banned

well, I have to tell you that from my ..experience, putting down a good score on these challenges is a game of its own.
every little step counts. and every little misstep ruins everything.

I still only go for gold, and will not try to beat the leaderboards until I'm ready to put time to it.
hopefully, leaderboard scoring will not be borked/broken/cheat-infested/etc, so it will always provide a good - and fair - challenge.

So, how would you guys rate this in comparison to Insomniac's overall output?

I have an Xbox One and this game coming tomorrow (along with Wolfenstein....VERY excited to finally play it). REALLY looking forward to this game. SO and Halo MCC pushed me over the edge into purchasing an XB1.

I'd definitely put it on par my favorite ps3 game Rachet and Clank:tools of destruction. There is a ton of similaritys between the 2 games so much that it felt like I was playing a playstation game on my Xbox (if that makes sense to anyone).

It's one of those games (and I've heard this from a lot of people) that once you zip through the 15-20 hour story (which you will, the game is like crack) you'll still keep playing because it's still just so much fun. Not a lot of games do that to me anymore, usually I reach a point in most games where the fun wears off and I have to check the Internet to see how much longer I have to beat it.

The more I play, the more it's hilarious to me how dead wrong that Videogamer dot com "preview" was.

I'm still confused by that preview. It's really not worth thinking about anymore, though. We know the game is incredible. All we can do is ignore that man's opinions on games as we know his taste in gaming does not match ours.

Ending wasn't that amazing.

Loved the celeb appearance though, not a big name so it was a surprise.

Thanks for letting me know... before I have finished the game.

Considering this is an open world game it is amazing in that regard as I generally hate games in this mold but the style and presentation just make it.

What's the quickest way to get into an online match. Can you jump to those booths on your map?

Grisby

Anyone know of Xbox live is down? My console says its connected to the Internet and very other device works but the X1 still has that connect to the Internet box on the side.

faer0n

Thanks for letting me know... before I have finished the game.

Considering this is an open world game it is amazing in that regard as I generally hate games in this mold but the style and presentation just make it.

What's the quickest way to get into an online match. Can you jump to those booths on your map?

Use quick travel to the downtown base. There is a booth near The travel point

dankir

How much do I have left in the campaign?

I just started missions for the Day of the Dead chicks in the hospital.

E92 M3

well, I have to tell you that from my ..experience, putting down a good score on these challenges is a game of its own.
every little step counts. and every little misstep ruins everything.

I still only go for gold, and will not try to beat the leaderboards until I'm ready to put time to it.
hopefully, leaderboard scoring will not be borked/broken/cheat-infested/etc, so it will always provide a good - and fair - challenge.

Indeed. I've been focusing on the other parts of the game, but will revert back to challenges once I'm done with missions. That said, I've gotten golds on traversal challenges - which are my favorite.

Mdk7

Working on a little fanart, i plan to turn Fizzie into a vintage mascotte (probably with a full background, kinda like an old poster for the Overcharge Delirium XT as if it came out in the 30s!)... Still a WIP, consider this as just a small preview - but i surely appreciate all kinds of feedbacks, so bring it on guys! :)

sBrGruq.png

Working on a little fanart, i plan to turn Fizzie into a vintage mascotte (probably with a full background, kinda like an old poster for the Overcharge Delirium XT as if it came out in the 30s!)... Still a WIP, consider this as just a small preview - but i surely appreciate all kinds of feedbacks, so bring it on guys! :)

sBrGruq.png
Oooo what if they themed a DLC on converting a part of the city to an other time?

Could be cool. Radioactive weapons :) I guess we'd kind of loose rock though...

Zomba13

Does the Xbone have a way to take pics like the PS4? Kinda want to share some of my character outfits and don't want to have to resort to bad phone pics.

Also that vintage Fizzie is cool.

Korosenai

What is the best way to level a weapon up? I was thinking maybe a challenge where enemies constantly spawn, but I'm not sure which one does that.

I woke up this morning and someone had beaten my score. A new strategy and 30 minutes later, i'm number 1 again. These challenges are seriously addicting.

What is the best way to level a weapon up? I was thinking maybe a challenge where enemies constantly spawn, but I'm not sure which one does that.

I woke up this morning and someone had beaten my score. A new strategy and 30 minutes later, i'm number 1 again. These challenges are seriously addicting.
I haven't done this, but it should work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhEhesKXtwo

It was linked from
http://www.ign.com/wikis/sunset-overdrive/Weapons
I was looking for what the shocker was good against, it still isn't filled out yet.

I picked up Sunset Overdrive last night. Here are some of my first impressions (played for an hour an a half):

1. Traversal is awesome. It's a lot of fun going from one side of the city to the next. I can't wait to pick up the air dash.
The night defense games are difficult. I was lucky enough to beat the first one on the first try but there OD all over my Overdrive vats. If I had to hold on for another couple of seconds, I wouldn't have beat it.
3. The game is pretty funny. I heard all about the grating sense of humor but I can't play for long stretches so what I have seen has given me a good chuckle or two.
4. Combat is fun but I think I need to upgrade my weapons because they aren't getting the job done yet. Amps add a lot of variety and force you to try different loops around an arena. It's rare that a shooter does that.

I would like to try out some Chaos Mode with people. Add me if you need someone to play with: GT: Vercingtorax.

flkraven

Sunset Overdrive crashed for me a few times last night. When I'm in the menus and I try to look at the global rankings for the different challenges, it tries to load them, and I get pushed back to desktop. From there, I have to restart SO. Happened 3 times in a row so I gave up checking. I actually find that the challenge/score/ranking integration in general is a little slow, glitchy, and clunky. I had to replay one of the vat defense missions because it didn't show that I had scored gold.

Besides this, the game runs flawlessly. Anyone else have these issues?

Xando

A bit off-topic but i'm thinking about buying a XB1 + SO bundle, is there a thread where i can ask a few things about hardware/set up?

Pedersen

In the
Get the band back together
mission. When you have to jump from drum to drum, there's an endless stream of OD.

derFeef

sBrGruq.png

Awesome work as always!

Ont

Sunset Overdrive crashed for me a few times last night. When I'm in the menus and I try to look at the global rankings for the different challenges, it tries to load them, and I get pushed back to desktop. From there, I have to restart SO. Happened 3 times in a row so I gave up checking. I actually find that the challenge/score/ranking integration in general is a little slow, glitchy, and clunky. I had to replay one of the vat defense missions because it didn't show that I had scored gold.

Accessing leaderboards for challenges have made my SO crash. Has not crashed anywhere else, so I try to avoid leadboards for now.

I just got to the LARP missions, there are not many games that can make me laugh, but this is one of those.

Dead

well not really...yet
I love the character creator in this game.

Was messing around with it until it hit me I was currently playing as Nicki Minaj.

I still am :lol

If my Internet went down while I completed the game and watched its credits, will I get the achievements the next time I hope online with it? Or do I need to replay the final boss?

Does the Xbone have a way to take pics like the PS4?
No, it's one of those things I love and use so much on my PS4 that to not have it on the Xbox One is jarring. There's been so many moments in Sunset Overdrive where I've thought to myself "that's gorgeous, I sure wish I could screencap that."

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Does the Xbone have a way to take pics like the PS4? Kinda want to share some of my character outfits and don't want to have to resort to bad phone pics.

No screenshot feature yet but instead of taking pictures with your phone just record 30 seconds of video and take a screencap of it.

You can find your videos at http://xboxclips.com/. Just put in your gamertag.

Korosenai

I haven't done this, but it should work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhEhesKXtwo

It was linked from
http://www.ign.com/wikis/sunset-overdrive/Weapons
I was looking for what the shocker was good against, it still isn't filled out yet.
wow, this spot is almost too good. Thanks for the link.

In the
Get the band back together
mission. When you have to jump from drum to drum, there's an endless stream of OD.
Takes too long to get there. The one trouble maker posted is a lot better.

ekim

Errm... I played the game for 20 hours now and completed the story... I encountered this guy the first time right now... Anyone seen this before?

imagednu7f.jpg

He just stood there, I shot him and He vanished into some portal on the ground. Creepy stuff.

B-Dex

Errm... I played the game for 20 hours now and completed the story... I encountered this guy the first time right now... Anyone seen this before?

imagednu7f.jpg

He just stood there, I shot him and I vanished into some portal on the ground. Creepy stuff.

It's from an Amp. Forgot the name but he will spawn and kill more enemies.

imagednu7f.jpg

He just stood there, I shot him and He vanished into some portal on the ground. Creepy stuff.
Grim reaper amp. I'm not sure I've ever seen him fight though - combat can be hectic enough - I just see him standing there like that after the battle is done, looking all mean and eldritch.

arhra

No screenshot function yet, sadly.

If you don't have a capture card, your best option is to take a GameDVR clip (double-tap the xbox button, then hit X for the last 30s, or snap GameDVR for a longer clip, or to start a manual recording), then download it via xboxclips.com when it shows up there (they're automatically synced to the cloud, but might take a few minutes to upload), then take screenshots of the video using your media player app of choice.

We've had reports of crashing when viewing the leaderboards, we're looking into it.

Top Bottom