• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 13: "The Storm Has Come And So Have I" 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2

ultimax

Thought on new avatar?

Sly%252520Cooper%252520Logo.jpg

Xiraiya

HAPPY 1 YEAR CLOSER TO BEING EVEN MORE SHIT AT VIDEO GAMES DAY.
Personally I find that to be a myth, it's just people getting lazier as they get older so they don't try as much as they use to, and from all of that laziness it ends up being harder to absorb all the knowledge they need to get good and then when they suck, they cop out by saying "Oh I'm too old now"

I'm already well past the age where my reaction times have decreased.

That's why I said even more shit :)

Personally I find that to be a myth, it's just people getting lazier as they get older so they don't try as much as they use to, and from all of that laziness it ends up being harder to absorb all the knowledge they need to get good and then when they suck, they cop out by saying "Oh I'm too old now"

Oh yeah, I was just joking around lol. If I took everything Pat said to heart, I'd probably be bald too.

Curious, has anyone noticed this yet?

I have a feeling Matt is both very excited and very conflicted.
This got linked in here 3 times or so :p
Oh so guys, some minor changes are coming my way in a few months. I'm planning on moving in with my best friend's wife, that way I can help her out and keep me from being so isolated and reclusive. Then I'll be moving to Washington with her and the kiddos that way we'll all be closer to my best friend. I've saved some money and I'm already looking at apartments and for a job there
Nice. Sounds good.
Eventually there's a point where reaction times and reflexes are worse. What exact age that is? Ehhhhh.

Neol

They're all great, so you should watch the other two. Lock Stock was Guy Ritchie's first film, and Rock'N'Rolla is really good. They all follow the same type of formula, so you know what you're getting into.

Sounds good. Can always go for a good crime movie here and there.

For those who've watched it, how is House of Cards? I heard it was great, and I love Kevin Spacey, so i'm interested. I just figured i'd get some of your opinions.

Xiraiya

That's why I said even more shit :)
Oh yeah, I was just joking around lol. If I took everything Pat said to heart, I'd probably be bald too.
I think that might be my favorite thing anyone has said in awhile.

Really it just means Pat cares less about games than he use to.

But I like to call it the Giant Bomb effect, where your favorite Japanese anime you know every detail of and theorized about constantly, slowly starts to become that one chinese cartoon from taiwan you don't care to try and understand anymore.

OT14: If we took everything Pat said to heart, we'd probably be bald too.

Squishy3

For those who've watched it, how is House of Cards? I heard it was great, and I love Kevin Spacey, so i'm interested. I just figured i'd get some of your opinions.
It's real good. Kevin Spacey wants a PS Vita™ and loves him some Killzone 3™ on his PS3™ and his Sony™ headphones.

Xiraiya

Eventually there's a point where reaction times and reflexes are worse. What exact age that is? Ehhhhh.

Well obviously, but that's irrelevant on the scale we're talking, my grandfather in his 50's was better at some (Mostly racing) games than I was at 11, so the degrade in reaction time and reflexes is negligible from a gaming standpoint.

How old are you know? Well it's that age. Science proved it, you can't contest it, Science.
320swyu40407.gif

Well obviously, but that's irrelevant on the scale we're talking, my grandfather in his 50's was better at some (Mostly racing) games than I was at 11, so the degrade in reaction time and reflexes is negligible from a gaming standpoint.
Practice is always most important, but you're gonna get wildly different answers on how much age affects different people. You can't really just use anecdotal evidence.

ultimax

320swyu40407.gif

Practice is always most important, but you're gonna get wildly different answers on how much age affects different people. You can't really just use anecdotal evidence.

i will always be one of the best gamers because i got all the classics. classics. haventplayedityet. classics.

Xiraiya

Not putting a healer in your party in any RPG is fucking weird to me.

I don't know, I did just fine in Arcanum without a healer, we had a dog with expert Melee and Dodge training, a thousand year old undead skeletal warrior that had flesh restored through Dragon Blood, a smartass necromancer from a wealthy dynasty who raised the dead for shits and giggles, a Dwarf with a clan complex and mass murderer that had to be banished to another realm just because he was too awesome to be killed.

No one ever really did much of any healing.

Ilvocare

Yeah, it got posted here before. You probably weren't there when it was posted.

This got linked in here 3 times or so :p

Damn. The only reason I noticed is because one of the Best Friends posted it on the Facebook page.

This thread moves at the speed of sonic light, man...

I really like the music. Don't tell me I'm going to get sold on Persona 5 because of the music.
The last time somthing similar happened was when I watched the Skyrim trailer, hype oozed out of me back then.

All the Persona games have great music. At the very least, the latter games have great music, can't speak for 1 and 2.

Why does Liam refuse to put Toadstool in his fucking party!?

Because they don't know/appreciate Peach.

I always differentiated the two by saying that Toadstool is a light brunette while Peach is blonde.

I played SMRPG and like 90% of FFIII without a dedicated healer. Hell, I find the idea of a party member whose SOLE purpose is healing really debilitating in JRPGs. The dynamic changes when you move to an SRPG format, though. In those, I'm fine with that.

Uh question? My does Geno Whirl exist???

It's the best single damage move in the game, once you get the timing down.

It can go for 9999 damage.

Well they don't really need one yet. They are burning through a ton of items but money seems to be a non issue in the game, they would rather waste their FP doing Geno's specials poorly

Their FP management is so very poor here. Fuck bowser, put Mallow in and let him cast spells on multiple enemies!

Ilvocare

Uh question? My does Geno Whirl exist???

It exists as the point of both extremes: one of, if not the weakest spell in the game when you don't land the timed hit, but when you DO, then literally everything that isn't a boss eats shit.
Also the game straight up lies about where the correct point to time it is.

It exists as the point of both extremes: one of, if not the weakest spell in the game when you don't land the timed hit, but when you DO, then literally everything that isn't a boss eats shit.
Also the game straight up lies about where the correct point to time it is.

Where was the timing again? It's before the whirl hits the enemy?

It's the best single damage move in the game, once you get the timing down.

It can go for 9999 damage.

Their FP management is so very poor here. Fuck bowser, put Mallow in and let him cast spells on multiple enemies!
no but Mallow is garbage tho

It bugs me as well but no where near the level the Nuzlocke achieved. As long as they keep talking about how their friends are secretly just packages of hot dogs in sweaters and other bullshit I'm entertained.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
I got some fan translations of the Haruhi light novels from my local anime store and I don't know whose fault it is, but there are grammar mistakes and the dialogue feels awkward. This is an excerpt from the first one:
"Hey hey."
I casually turned my head around, with that airy smile all over my face.
"The stuff you said in your intro, were you being serious?"
With her arm crossed on her chest, lips sealed together, Suzumiya Haruhi kept her posture, then
stared right into my eyes.
"What 'stuff in my intro'?"
"The stuff about the aliens."
"Are you an alien?"
She looked very serious.
"... No."
"If you are not, then what do you want?"
"... No, nothing."
"Then don't talk to me. You are wasting my time."

Does this seem kind of awkward to anyone? Like, some slight mistranslations?

Also, that feel when you get Yuffies Ultimate weapon in FFVII w/ 4X cut and do like 9999 damage each hit. Just demolish everyone.

Goddamn I love that game.

I think that might be my favorite thing anyone has said in awhile.

Really it just means Pat cares less about games than he use to.

But I like to call it the Giant Bomb effect, where your favorite Japanese anime you know every detail of and theorized about constantly, slowly starts to become that one chinese cartoon from taiwan you don't care to try and understand anymore.

OT14: If we took everything Pat said to heart, we'd probably be bald too.

Giant Bomb is definitely a lot more jaded when it comes to games than the best friends are, but I really enjoy their personalities, and listening to Jeff's take on gaming can either range from really insightful to absolutely hilarious. Its the personalities of the crew that'll either make or break it for you since its pretty reflective of that website in general.

When you realize that having a damage dealer instead of a healer in a three member party is actually viable because of how hard you wreck enemies in battles before they can even deal that much damage.

Xenoblade was the point I realized this and it was magical.

I got some fan translations of the Haruhi light novels from my local anime store and I don't know whose fault it is, but there are grammar mistakes and the dialogue feels awkward. This is an excerpt from the first one:
Does this seem kind of awkward to anyone? Like, some slight mistranslations?
That's pretty common for translations of light novels, since the translators aren't that skilled and they probably don't have an English major editing the stuff to make it sound good.

Also, LN's fucking suck at dialogue tagging, so there's that too.

Top Bottom