• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 13: "The Storm Has Come And So Have I" 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2

I disagree. Skyrim is super fun and so is fallout 3. I'm not going to argue these because what you hated I loved.

Probably. Pausing in the middle of battle is one of my most hated things about games that aren't turn based or strategy and those games' combat system heavily revolve around doing that. Its a shitty comparison, but if something like Dark Souls actually had pausing in the middle of battle to heal or switch weapons or magic, and the game's combat was actually designed around that kind of thing, I don't think I'd even remotely like the game as much as I do.

Skrams

Sometimes I feel like I'm one of the few people who just explore games like Fallout 3 or Skyrim. I put 200 hours into Fallout 3 and did just about everything, but most of that time was just me picking a place to fast travel to then I'd walk in a direction. Since they put the unlit green arrows on your HUD it was easy to find new places to explore. I did about the same with Skyrim for 100 hours, but got nowhere close to finishing the main quest or a lot of the side quests. Of course if you don't enjoy the world or dislike the gameplay then I can see why just walking in a direction would be boring.

I put a few hours into New Vegas, but I kind of just stopped for no reason besides oh god, do I really want to sink my teeth into this 100+ hour thing right now?

Xiraiya

Sometimes I feel like I'm one of the few people who just explore games like Fallout 3 or Skyrim. I put 200 hours into Fallout 3 and did just about everything, but most of that time was just me picking a place to fast travel to then I'd walk in a direction. Since they put the unlit green arrows on your HUD it was easy to find new places to explore. I did about the same with Skyrim for 100 hours, but got nowhere close to finishing the main quest or a lot of the side quests. Of course if you don't enjoy the world or dislike the gameplay then I can see why just walking in a direction would be boring.

I put a few hours into New Vegas, but I kind of just stopped for no reason besides oh god, do I really want to sink my teeth into this 100+ hour thing right now?
I get immersed easily, and it's rare something breaks my immersion to a point of disliking a game, so just exploring is the best part of every Bethesda game, basically.

Probably. Pausing in the middle of battle is one of my most hated things about games that aren't turn based or strategy and those games' combat system heavily revolve around doing that. Its a shitty comparison, but if something like Dark Souls actually had pausing in the middle of battle to heal or switch weapons or magic and the game's combat was actually designed around that kind of thing, I don't think I'd even remotely like the game as much as I do.

You can go all of new vegas with out ever touching vats. I've done it multiple times and it plays way better because of it

Mathaou

legacy of cane

I do the same thing. I love exploring those games. Especially NV. Way better than 3.

I constantly went around with a tired party, so often when I would get caught by the super strong enemies, there was really no way out before I died.
Other times I got impatient, and tried to fight the boss while tired without saving so my bitchass party wouldn't ditch me and make me waste another night.
Not ideal but I'd rather spend my time doing anything but gameplay in that fucking game

So you're saying that you would like the game more if you were to
6a2.jpg

You can go all of new vegas with out ever touching vats. I've done it multiple times and it plays way better because of it

Agreed. VATS is the wrong way to play that game.

I constantly went around with a tired party, so often when I would get caught by the super strong enemies, there was really no way out before I died.
Other times I got impatient, and tried to fight the boss while tired without saving so my bitchass party wouldn't ditch me and make me waste another night.
Not ideal but I'd rather spend my time doing anything but gameplay in that fucking game

If you ever want to take another swing at it, P3P gets rid of the tired party in the middle of a dungeon mechanic. You lose the anime cutscenes but you also get full party control

Well. You really only have yourself to blame.

New Vegas is the only world I actually felt cohesive enough to enjoy in that way, especially since it's bolstered by actually competent sidequests.

Watching all this DBFC gameplay makes me wish it was out in the west. It also makes me realize how insane the damage output in Ultimax is.
If you ever want to take another swing at it, P3P gets rid of the tired party in the middle of a dungeon mechanic. You lose the anime cutscenes but you also get full party control

You don't just lose the anime cutscenes. You lose the in game cutscenes and the ability to free roam. It basically becomes a VN.

semisonic

Banned
So you're saying that you would like the game more if you were to
6a2.jpg

Agreed. VATS is the wrong way to play that game.

Yes
this is true
But the gameplay is such a slog that I'm not even sure I'd want to.
Plus the social links you have access to quickly seem to largely suck ass
and I don't really want a 20 hour barrier to having fun in this fucking game I've restarted a bunch of times because I fucked things up
I've restarted a BUNCH of times for dumb reasons, and with that slow a start it's hard to get invested again
Well. You really only have yourself to blame.
For real, fuck that mechanic. It's the worst thing about that game so far, and because I would rather be doing other stuff than tartarus for 5 nights(and I was interested in completing all the Elizabeth requests, soooo I was already grinding too much.)

Xiraiya

Something that made Skyrim more fun to me was modding dungeons to scale randomly, so you could encounter like a level 20 something Draughr Overlord at like level 6, it made those places really tense and actually made the traps somewhat invaluable, it was a lot of fun beating ruins and stuff like that, felt a bit like Morrowind.

You don't just lose the anime cutscenes. You lose the in game cutscenes and the ability to free roam. It basically becomes a VN.

True enough, I forgot about the in game scenes. I hated the free roaming thing, the quick travel button was one of the top improvements in the game for me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

croten

Something that made Skyrim more fun to me was modding dungeons to scale randomly, so you could encounter like a level 20 something Draughr Overlord at like level 6, it made those places really tense and actually made the traps somewhat invaluable, it was a lot of fun beating ruins and stuff like that, felt a bit like Morrowind.

Yes but combat still consists of swinging foam swords, shooting foam arrows or using shitty magic.

You have a good laptop now, please just don't do that. Seriously, just don't.

wait for the next steam sale, it frequently does down to $2.50 for the base game and $5 for the edition with all the DLC

And it has controller support so you can just play like it's a console game.

I think I'll just risk it and go with the PS3 version if I ever decide to play it. Even if its a mess and more expensive. I really really don't like downloading and playing games on my laptop. That's not what I bought it for.

Zenfalcia

For real, fuck that mechanic. It's the worst thing about that game so far, and because I would rather be doing other stuff than tartarus for 5 nights(and I was interested in completing all the Elizabeth requests, soooo I was already grinding too much.)

5 nights? You don't need that many days to complete the requests for the 3-4 quests for each floor. 1-2 days should be more than enough, i think you were just tackling the dungeoning all wrong.

Skrams

That already sounds like a big improvement. I'll have to get around to it one day when I have more time and feel like buying it on my ps3.

Jesus Christ Why

New Vegas is the only world I actually felt cohesive enough to enjoy in that way, especially since it's bolstered by actually competent sidequests.

Yeah, I can understand wanting to feel like the world is actually a thing which can be backed up pretty well by the sidequests. I don't need that as much. I'd like to just walk and see what I find. If I find a cool building with super mutants and I find a few notes inside the building that give it some character then it's usually good enough for me. Man, there were a few manhole/sewery places just spotted around the Fallout 3 map. Sometimes you'd just find one, enter it, find a guy who killed himself and his family because no food left, you take their shit, and leave. It's just fun to find that kind of stuff.

Yes but combat still consists of swinging foam swords, shooting foam arrows or using shitty magic.

Eh, sneaking around with the broken stealth in bethesda games makes them pretty fun to me. Especially when I get up in their face and just kill them with one arrow or a dagger to the face.

I think I'll just risk it and go with the PS3 version if I ever decide to play it. Even if its a mess and more expensive. I really really don't like downloading and playing games on my laptop. That's not what I bought it for.
I only bug you over it since it has less glitches and bugs on PC, and is $5. It's fine.
It's fine, really. I actually like it. Especially getting a great status and just plowing through.

HA! If you'd complete even half of them, you'll wish they weren't even in the game (aside from the ones where you take Elizabeth out) Other then that fuck those requests

Isn't every Bethesda engine game that was put out on ps3 broken? I don't know, don't complain to us and say the game is bad when you chose the worst version, I guess

Well, I just finished my re-playthrough of Alpha Protocol. Man, I love this game so much. It's one of my all time favorites. Since it's been a while, I had forgotten a lot, which really helped.

It's not that bad, learn to enjoy things a little.
It kills any fun I have with that game.
what about mirror's edge
kappa
You joke and It's rudimentary as fuck, but I think disarms are ok I guess
I haven't played it myself, but from the clips I've seen, Dark Messiah of Might & Magic looks like it has good first person melee combat.
Looked it up, it looks better than Skyrim for sure. Them kicks are basically Dark Souls kicks.

semisonic

Banned
Well I've got p4g to go too, as well as other shit like suikoden 2
I'm not really sure where to put it on my backlog, considering it's already been largely spoiled for me by internet, and that I got a new hard drive so I've gotta restart it AGAIN

HA! If you'd complete even half of them, you'll wish they weren't even in the game (aside from the ones where you take Elizabeth out) Other then that fuck those requests
I just wanted to 100% because doing that is my crack
but I guess that's maybe the wrong way to persona
this makes me sad

Top Bottom