• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 15: Two Guys Play

sjay1994

We're so inclusive people leave us because we're too inclusive.
rip in peace creeperblocks, snakeismyuncle, and many more.

Allow me to overuse another joke

giphy.gif

Jeff said something on the Bombcast about treating every podcast like it's a listener's first one. I think that's something SBF should think about.

Every time I tune into the podcast, I immediately feel like I've lost the plot. Kinda like how I feel when I enter this thread....

The thread matches the tangents of the podcasts pretty well.

But yes, they could use some better introductory material.

Jeff said something on the Bombcast about treating every podcast like it's a listener's first one. I think that's something SBF should think about.

Every time I tune into the podcast, I immediately feel like I've lost the plot. I get the sense that something hilarious is being discussed, but I have no context for it. Kinda like how I feel when I enter this thread....
I don't think there's anything to get, really. The random tangents they open with are random tangents.

The only hump is just knowing who's who.

Every time I tune into the podcast, I immediately feel like I've lost the plot. I get the sense that something hilarious is being discussed, but I have no context for it. Kinda like how I feel when I enter this thread....
Yeah I remember him saying that a couple weeks ago as well. It really is something that they need to improve upon. I think Woolie tried to have them introduce themselves for the first few podcast but just gave up at some point.

Zenfalcia

The SBF Cast does not adhere to that mentality. Rather it just rolls with it and if you don't know you really get left out..

You don't really need much context for the thread except the best friends. As long as you know about them you're pretty good.
WE SHOULD CALL THIS PLACE THE DEVILS THREAD! KIDS WILL FUCKING LOVE IT!

I wish they would introduce themselves for new viewers, but unlike the bombcast, I think a majority of their listeners already watch their videos. But I'm not ignoring the fact that there are probably still new listeners out there that just don't understand what's happening.

Also, don't even bother trying to keep up with this thread. I've been here since OT1 and I still don't get it. Just jump in and say whatever.

I've heard of this mentality in the context of comics, too. That's why every issue you pick up has a brief summary of the current arc and a general recap of the latest "big event" at the beginning because it can potentially be someones first issue of not only the hero, but of the medium as a whole.

And as for the thread, you can either shit-post like the rest of us or start a new topic. We've derailed this community enough that we can't really judge someone for that

Well that's a pretty big hump to get over.

Imagine talking about Woolie lore in front of someone who has no clue who the Best Friends are.
I'm also a selfish asshole and I love dumb stupid podcast openings.

They could introduce themselves when they say "welcome to podcast ###", and they always say names when they do weeks, but it's a fair complaint.

Alfebit

Banned

I remember during one of the podcasts Pat and Woolie talked about how they never say the name of the podcast or what their names are and that they should change that and then they proceeded to never do it again.

I'm never going to stop hearing this, am I?

ysuS0.gif

Ants

While it might help to have that mentality, I'm willing to bet a non-trivial amount of the appeal of the Best Friends is the huge continuity.

mrmyhthef

I think they've been lax on that front since they expect listeners to already be into their youtube stuff. Though I get what you say, can't hurt to spend a couple seconds to establish who's who.

That reminds me:

Do people that come into the thread look at the OT and understand who the Best Friends are and why they're so entertaining?

Because I can understand how some of that gets lost if all were doing is making in-jokes and talking bullshit about a podcast you have to keep following to enjoy.

What is the absolute beginners guide to the Best Friends?

Giant Bomb has Metal Gear Scanlon an their intro video on their site. What do we have?

Zenfalcia

That reminds me:

Do people that come into the thread look at the OT and understand who the Best Friends are and why they're so entertaining?

Because I can understand how some of that gets lost if all were doing is making in-jokes and talking bullshit about a podcast you have to keep following to enjoy.

Giant Bomb has Metal Gear Scanlon an their intro video on their site. What do we have?
We have the wiki.

That reminds me:

Their REvil2 and Downpour playthrough?

Ants

Hey, you're a member now. conglaturations.

Oh hey, you're a Member. Congrats yo

Thanks! I've got an idea for a thread but I want to get some screenshots and stuff. It'll probably get ignored anyway, but, hey, at least I'll put out something good.

That reminds me:

That's actually a really great point. I used to have specific videos I linked to people, but that was back in the days when Machinima stuff was the bulk of their content.

I think The Evil Within is a decent starting playthrough. There's some shit in there they got roasted for but it was in a genre they loved (mechanically and narratively) and they exhibited some expertise early on in how they tackled the game (when they get to the upgrade system, for example, Pat dumps points straight into accuracy and damage, noting that the scarcity of ammo makes those two stats arguably the most important). It's got a decently high energy level, some great jokes, and has them a bit more cerebral than some other playthroughs. It's also "only" 30 episodes.

Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden is pretty good, too, although I wouldn't say it is representative of their content.

Portal 2 and Duke Nukem Forever are good Machinima videos. Arkham City is really good, too.

360pages

Thanks! I've got an idea for a thread but I want to get some screenshots and stuff. It'll probably get ignored anyway, but, hey, at least I'll put out something good.

That's actually a really great point. I used to have specific videos I linked to people, but that was back in the days when Machinima stuff was the bulk of their content.

I think The Evil Within is a decent starting playthrough. There's some shit in there they got roasted for but it was in a genre they loved (mechanically and narratively) and they exhibited some expertise early on in how they tackled the game (when they get to the upgrade system, for example, Pat dumps points straight into accuracy and damage, noting that the scarcity of ammo makes those two stats arguably the most important). It's got a decently high energy level, some great jokes, and has them a bit more cerebral than some other playthroughs. It's also "only" 30 episodes.

Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden is pretty good, too, although I wouldn't say it is representative of their content.

Portal 2 and Duke Nukem Forever are good Machinima videos. Arkham City is really good, too.

Eh...I'd say something like Prison Break is pretty good as a start.

The Best Friends are like the Giantbomb of liking japanese games, character action, anime sometimes, fighting games, and hype shit. Try out the podcast or give Silent Hill Downpour a go. Also never give up. Be the best you that you can be before you die.

I like this description Skrams posted on Page 1.

Ants

I took them out 2-3 threads ago. I wanna rework them somehow to not be 75% of the OP, but I'm not sure how to go about it yet.

Maybe you could make 4 images in a 2x2 square, and the images have a quick breakdown of the "personality" of the person pictured in them?

I usually point people toward the Heavy Rain LP or Machinima episode, depending on how much time they're willing to invest. The LP was current when I started watching the stuff on their channel, and it's still one of my favorites.

Heavy Rain is good too! I was gonna mention that, but I forgot.

That's actually one of the better starting ones, I think.

beinfilms

I usually point people toward the Heavy Rain LP or Machinima episode, depending on how much time they're willing to invest. The LP was current when I started watching the stuff on their channel, and it's still one of my favorites.

That reminds me:

Aside from currently running LPs, the recommended videos should be
Silent Hill 2
The Downcoming saga
Heavy Rain & Indigo Prophecy
Deadly Premonition
Resident Evil 2
Barkley Shut Up and Jam
Super Best Friends Brawl Anarchy Reigns and Mario Kart
Friday Night Fisticuffs Street Fighter 3 Third Strike

beinfilms

Silent Hill 2
The Downcoming saga
Deadly Premonition
Resident Evil 2
Barkley Shut Up and Jam

Fuck, I should really go back and watch Barkley, huh? I didn't have the time to watch it when it was new, and I keep forgetting to go back to it.

Forget everything but this thread. That's how we've burned through 15 threads in a year.

Eh...I'd say something like Prison Break is pretty good as a start.

Silent Hill 2
The Downcoming saga
Deadly Premonition
Resident Evil 2
Barkley Shut Up and Jam

I started at downpour after having seen their xbox live indie games episode.

Ants

I thought about it a little more than not at all, and here's my suggestion for intro videos:

Full LPs:
Downpour (beat out Man vs. Wild as the Matt/Pat LP due to Axe Throw)
Indigo Prophecy
Barkley
Double Dragon Neon
Guacamelee!
I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream

These are pretty much all short LPs and it's a variety of casts. It gives an idea of what everyone's like and requires less of a time investment than some of the other playthroughs (lookin at you Dark Souls). Additionally, they're basically all games that the Zaibatsu was passionate about, in some way. Overall I'd say they're pretty representative of what you can expect, while also being some of the better ones.

I'd be interested to know if there's more LPs that contribute to the lore that are good starting points.

===

One-Offs:

Cryme Tyme: 50 Cent BULLETPROOF
Fisticuffs: Injustice Gods Among Us
Classic Scrublords: Divekick
Machinima: Spider-Man Games
Machinima: Persona 4 (although it does have a mid-game spoiler, it's one of the better videos)
Machinima: Man Vs. Wild

Largely the same reasons, and a higher proportion of Machinima games cuz it represents more of the content. There can be more or less recommendations, but I think these are all fairly representative and good entries.

Top Bottom