• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 6: Six Threads and a Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not much of a spoiler to be fair, and it's way past the statute of limitations
I guess. I'm just wary since people who haven't seen the show are in this thread and some people are currently watching it.

It's just something to avoid in general. Nobody likes spoilers.

Thoughts on the new Star Wars film? It recently finished shooting

They didn't need to bring the old actors in. Do a fresh story.

I guess I just don't get Eva. It's not something I really relate to and I'm that kind of person that falls more on the side of "why is Shinji such a little bitch" camp. I get the reasons why he's characterized as such but I'll never understand while it's held up in such a godlike way by anime fans.

Director reason:
He did it to show the fans how messed up they were for liking characters like asuka sexually? i guess. Don't quote me on that, but it was a response to the fans who enjoyed EVA. TLDR; the Director hates the fans.
It's more of a general take that at anime fandom that like their waifus way too much. Hell, Rei is supposed to be a deconstruction of what Anno felt was an otaku's "ideal woman" and is why she's so emotionless and creepy.

And yet it all backfired spectacularly.

sjack

Banned

I guess I just don't get Eva. It's not something I really relate to and I'm that kind of person that falls more on the side of "why is Shinji such a little bitch" camp. I get the reasons why but I'll never understand while it's held up in such a godlike way by anime fans.

Merchandising and consumerism!

360pages

It's more of a general take that at anime fandom that like their waifus way too much. Hell, Rei is supposed to be a deconstruction of what Anno felt was an otaku's "ideal woman" and is why she's so emotionless and creepy.

I honestly, love how much it backfired, He pretty much launched an entire trope of characters.

360pages

I guess I just don't get Eva. It's not something I really relate to and I'm that kind of person that falls more on the side of "why is Shinji such a little bitch" camp. I get the reasons why he's characterized as such but I'll never understand while it's held up in such a godlike way by anime fans.

Did you watch the rebuild movies. Usually people who dislike the first series usually like the rebuilds and vise versa.

The one thing that makes me like EVA enough to say "I like this," is that you can feel it was being made by somebody undergoing depression and coming to terms with it.

It's overrated for sure, but there's my take.

Did you watch the rebuild movies. Usually people who dislike the first series usually like the rebuilds and vise versa.

That's 1.1-3.3 and all that, right? The ones that introduced the glasses girl? Honestly I still didn't like them... It's been a while since I saw them, but if I recall correctly it was because it was basically just the same story, point to point, with no questions being answered in a satisfactory way.

360pages

That's 1.1-3.3 and all that, right? The ones that introduced the glasses girl? Honestly I still didn't like them... It's been a while since I saw them, but if I recall correctly it was because it was basically just the same story, point to point, with no questions being answered in a satisfactory way.

What? 2.22 and 3.33 are really different for the most part. 1.11 is a remake of the first 7EP I think.

It became big in the west when anime wasn't really a thing that people watched yet. It was also one of the first shows to come over that was 'deep'. Also babbies first anime. Also emotional 90's teens.

I like the show, but I think it get's more praise than it deserves. Or get's praise for the wrong reasons, at least.

Zenfalcia

He tried and not many people actually got the message. Maybe if they did maybe it would've been less of a failure.

Also, quite a few character building scenes are cut, which ruined some characters.

What? 2.22 and 3.33 are really different for the most part. 1.11 is a remake of the first 7EP I think.

To clarify my point, I felt like it was just treading on the same ground as the original series. Oh no we gotta stop the angels 'cause angels are bad and what exactly are the angels, who gives a fuck? Who are these characters, why does Asuka suddenly hate everyone? Rei still stays a blank slate and people just die because.

I am thinking of the right thing, yes? Where it ends with
Shinji pulling out the 'fake' spears and causing the thing they had been trying to prevent the entire time?

360pages

He tried and not many people actually got the message. Maybe if they did maybe it would've been less of a failure.

Also, quite a few character building scenes are cut, which ruined some characters.

To be fair, the whole (You just didn't get it) can only work for the over arcing story of Eva, if people ended up enjoying the characters for the wrong reasons I think it's the failure of the writer in terms of that.

Well they are awful movies. That's for sure.

As an Eva fan, I understand that the series isn't for everyone. I don't bother to recommend it to those who I know won't give it a chance to make an impression.

I like Eva, because it took what I don't like about the mecha genre, and simply threw them out. I felt the characters were a breath of fresh air, and I like the exposition.

360pages

To clarify my point, I felt like it was just treading on the same ground as the original series. Oh no we gotta stop the angels 'cause angels are bad and what exactly are the angels, who gives a fuck? Who are these characters, why does Asuka suddenly hate everyone?

I am thinking of the right thing, yes? Where it ends with
Shinji pulling out the fake spears and causing the thing they had been trying to prevent the entire time?

I can see that, but I think 3.33 could have been really good if they actually
focused on third impact. But nope, Shinji is super mopey and lost is Rei Waifu

Zenfalcia

To be fair, the whole (You just didn't get it) can only work for the over arcing story of Eva, if people ended up enjoying the characters for the wrong reasons I think it's the failure of the writer in terms of that.

Sure. Also sometimes the viewer can overlook the details. I know i did for some series. Isnt it also why people have such different opinions on Eva. One of the camp of Get in the robot shinji and people enjoying the "deepness" and story of depression.

wow holy shit, I didn't expect this at all. Misato was a great scene, Asuka was a great scene, Ritsuko was all right. The unarmed defenceless surrendering workers getting executed is pretty fucked up as well. The flame thrower scene was also really fucked up and I'm guessing that has extra weight in Japan. It's weird, in live action movies with execution scenes like that I feel nothing but for some reason they bugged me a little here.

360pages

Well they are awful movies. That's for sure.

As an Eva fan, I understand that the series isn't for everyone. I don't bother to recommend it to those who I know won't give it a chance to make an impression.

I like Eva, because it took what I don't like about the mecha genre, and simply threw them out. I felt the characters were a breath of fresh air, and I like the exposition.

Eh, I think it's more the fact that the series changes from a deconstruction to a full on different genre is why a lot of people dislike it.

Everything after EP 16 really wasn't planned much, it was a direct result of depression and not really trying to connect the story up to that point. As a result, people who was there for the mechas and deconstruction do have a right to be a little lukewarm to the series.

Eva is a great delve into the human mind, but I wouldn't recommend it to mecha fans the same way I can Meduka to Magical girl fans. Because it stops being a deconstruction at that point.

Eva is a great delve into the human mind, but I wouldn't recommend it to mecha fans the same way I can Meduka to Magical girl fans. Because it stops being a deconstruction at that point.

Madoka is immensely entertaining and has great twists on the genre. At least the plot is... consistent, is the right word?

Eh, I think it's more the fact that the series changes from a deconstruction to a full on different genre is why a lot of people dislike it.

Everything after EP 16 really wasn't planned much, it was a direct result of depression and not really trying to connect the story up to that point. As a result, people who was there for the mechas and deconstruction do have a right to be a little lukewarm to the series.

That's true.

Since I'm not a fan of mecha, when the show stopped focusing on them, I felt the show took off. I'm way more interested in how the human mind works, and I think Eva is a great look into the mind of a depressed one.

wow holy shit, I didn't expect this at all. Misato was a great scene, Asuka was a great scene, Ritsuko was all right. The unarmed defenceless surrendering workers getting executed is pretty fucked up as well. The flame thrower scene was also really fucked up and I'm guessing that has extra weight in Japan. It's weird, in live action movies with execution scenes like that I feel nothing but for some reason they bugged me a little here.

I feel like most of it is due to the attachment that you had during the series. Also watch the intermission. It gives you time to recollect. It's also a great scene if you get what they did when they first put it into theatres in Japan.

I feel like most of it is due to the attachment that you had during the series. Also watch the intermission. It gives you time to recollect. It's also a great scene if you get what they did when they first put it into theatres in Japan.

I watched it, it did give a good break.
there was literally no connection to be had with the people though, it was just nameless faceless works just doing their jobs, maybe its because I can connect with them on that level? oh well, who knows

360pages

That's true.

Since I'm not a fan of mecha, when the show stopped focusing on them, I felt the show took off. I'm way more interested in how the human mind works, and I think Eva is a great look into the mind of a depressed one.

Yeah, it's also the fact that I honestly think it was just supposed to be a pure deconstruction but you know what happened with the budget and depression. I do what kind of series it would have ended up if that didn't happen.

Sure. Also sometimes the viewer can overlook the details. I know i did for some series. Isnt it also why people have such different opinions on Eva. One of the camp of Get in the robot shinji and people enjoying the "deepness" and story of depression.

fkXy8Mv.png

Yeah, it's also the fact that I honestly think it was just supposed to be a pure deconstruction but you know what happened with the budget and depression. I do what kind of series it would have ended up if that didn't happen.
I think Rebuild was supposed to be that, but clearly lost the thread somewhere along the way.

I watched it, it did give a good break.
there was literally no connection to be had with the people though, it was just nameless faceless works just doing their jobs, maybe its because I can connect with them on that level? oh well, who knows

If I remember correctly,
They had a small scene where there is just an audience in the movie. I believe what they did was they had filmed the audience of first showing of the movie and put it in during the intermission. people were leaving for the restrooms, but it was all packed. It made me feel really insignificant while watching it because of that scene showing I'm that small person in a huge group.
I could be wrong tho. I haven't watched it in a while.

360pages

I think Rebuild was supposed to be that, but clearly lost the thread somewhere along the way.

I think it was the disconnect between 2.22 and 3.33 I honestly think the completely scrapped their first draft/ version of the 3.33 movie and rewrote it. Which would explain why the 2.22 ending didn't match up with 3.33 and entire scenes from previews and clips were cut in 3.33.

Unrelated to the Eva talk, but I just wanna shout out to fucking Crunchyroll. Their editorial staff is surprisingly good and their review scale is probably my favorite.

Their Bayo review seems incredibly fair, even with their bringing up of the sexual stuff as a negative, their point is pretty fair, since they're primarily reviewing it for teenagers who use their site.

ultimax

Unrelated to the Eva talk, but I just wanna shout out to fucking Crunchyroll. Their editorial staff is surprisingly good and their review scale is probably my favorite.

Their Bayo review seems incredibly fair, even with their bringing up of the sexual stuff as a negative, their point is pretty fair, since they're primarily reviewing it for teenagers who use their site.
Damn I didn't know crunchy roll did game reviews lol

Squishy3

i'm pretty sure the teenagers' parents who use crunchyroll would have a fit if they saw some of the stuff that is on crunchyroll, like cross ange

I don't think anything will turn me off of working with a person for a story as much as me saying, "Hey I'm interested in this story idea of yours, let's discuss it," and the response back is basically, "Ok."

Squishy3

Cross Ange... I still haven't been able to bring myself to watch it. But still, it's at least an understandable point.
it's really really bad but i just put it on in the background and laugh whenever someone gets horribly killed

i literally have no idea what the plot is

that show was so goddamn promising

i haven't even watched anything past the 2nd or 3rd episode of it, the first episode was the best
We've discussed it here a few times, apparently it's just boring until it gets ridiculous and over the top. I have an irrational hatred since my friends are really into it and I think it sucks.
So I just tried my hand at the Platinum Ticket in Bayo 2, and I think it took some years off of my life. Good fucking god.
I really need to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom