• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 8: "You know, we really are the Super Best Friends Play"

Status
Not open for further replies.

MormaPope

Banned
Okay lets not turn this into a circlejerk. I'm well aware that any group I could actually ask is necessarily biased. The last thing I want to do is cause a pity party, but I just need to try and get a feel on things. Woolie and I spoke about this. You can look at the youtube comments, which are vile, 4chan, which is likely even viler, here and the reddit, which basically suck our dicks. There's no inbetween. Hmph. Well I guess facebook, but that's iffy too. Hard to read, for one thing.

If you want critical feedback based on all the playthroughs you've done, here is my list of playthroughs/features that had bigger issues:

Nuzlocke (Boring, no one really wanted to continue, strong ending though.)

Prison Break (The game was so bad and simple that you can't shit on it for long. It felt like a podcast with just you and Matt. The game had no surprises or peaks, nothing new to commentate on except that its still shitty.)

Walking Dead Season 2 (The season itself is a lot weaker, there was nothing at stake story wise or emotion wise, which made the playthrough feel pretty vapid. Not much excitement for newer episodes.)

The Amazing Superfriends (Really, really mixed quality wise. Some great episodes like Aquaman and Judge Dredd, a lot of episodes meld together which lead to a really middling feeling. Rustlemania trumps it tenfold.)

Shitstorm 3 (Less to do with the commentary, more to do with the formatting. Fan voted and everything, but the original format worked a lot better when it came to humor and anticipation for newer episodes. Bug Island was also pitch black, Rule of Rose is extremely narrative based and plodding. Felt like there was a lack of momentum until the original format came back the last week. Playing confirmed great horror games or unknown indie ones seems better options for next year. Don't give bigger no name games a chance unless a lot of research is done.)

Yakuza 4 (Dragged on for too long, brawler gameplay feels a lot better to play than it is to watch. Storyline wasn't outlandish enough to stay fresh every day.)

If you want critical feedback based on all the playthroughs you've done, here is my list of playthroughs/features that had bigger issues:

Prison Break (The game was so bad and simple that you can't shit on it for long. It felt like a podcast with just you and Matt. The game had no surprises or peaks, nothing new to commentate on except that its still shitty.)

Walking Dead Season 2 (The season itself is a lot weaker, there was nothing at stake story wise or emotion wise, which made the playthrough feel pretty vapid. Not much excitement for newer episodes.)

The Amazing Superfriends (Really, really mixed quality wise. Some great episodes like Aquaman and Judge Dredd, a lot of episodes meld together which lead to a really middling feeling. Rustlemania trumps it tenfold.)

Shitstorm 3 (Less to do with the commentary, more to do with the formatting. Fan voted and everything, but the original format worked a lot better when it came to humor and anticipation for newer episodes. Bug Island was also pitch black, Rule of Rose is extremely narrative based and plodding. Felt like there was a lack of momentum until the original format came back the last week.)

Yakuza 4 (Dragged on for too long, brawler gameplay feels a lot better to play than it is to watch. Storyline wasn't outlandish enough to stay fresh every day.)

I can dig those complaints. The shitstorm though, that's tough to fix. There just aren't enough horror games to do 31 every year.

Plus everything you hear about the game is how he didn't want to make it, but Bethesda wanted him to.

The first thing I heard about this game was how he's displease about the direction of survival horror games, which probably just means Resident Evil.

I never heard about that until after the game came out.

Zoning? What a shameful way to play kanji.

He actually has much better long range options than this guy let's on. You can do a whole thing of lighting, charge tackle combo/lightning, it's actually pretty cool.

I really hope they give his air combos and his lightning persona invincibility back in the next update, at least one or the other.

MormaPope

Banned
I can dig those complaints. The shitstorm though, that's tough to fix. There just aren't enough horror games to do 31 every year.

I think going with the best of the best or more prolific horror titles would work. Silent Hill 2 and Silent Hill 4, one is a classic, the other is weird as fuck in all of the right ways. Killer 7 is another LP I'd love to see during Shitstorm month. Making a list and then saying "do that!" is of course easier said then done, not to mention my own preferences are just that.

Most of my constructive criticism are for LPs that, actually, Pat isn't involved in, but

These three I definitely agree with. Also obviously some sections of Dark 2 became really hard to watch.

Also I can echo complaints of FNF needing more salt. The casual nature of it only works when the game is super hype and awesome. Otherwise it's like a low energy podcast.

Prison Break is one my favorite things you guys have done though.

demidar

I think going with the best of the best or more prolific horror titles would work. Silent Hill 2 and Silent Hill 4, one is a classic, the other is weird as fuck in all of the right ways. Killer 7 is another LP I'd love to see during Shitstorm month. Making a list and then saying "do that!" is of course easier said then done, not to mention my own preferences are just that.

Yeah, going back to the best-ofs of the horror genre would be good, dedicate 1 week to each because a different game per day is unsustainable. Obscure horror games could also work.

Here's a few games I would like to watch: Obscure 1/2 (multiplayer horror game, up on Steam but who knows how good the port is), Haunting Grounds (obscure-ish game), Clock Tower series, Clive Barker's Jericho. Horror adventure games could also work, provided someone has knowledge on the topic (I enjoyed the IHNMAIMS LP).

Zenfalcia

To go back to youtube comments. I forgot to mention that even though the comments are incredibly negative they are still criticism extreme or not they are pointing out something that could be adressed or is a problem, which can be small.

These three I agree with. Also obviously some section of Dark 2 became really hard to watch.

Also I can echo complaints of FNF needing more salt. The casual nature of it only works when the game is super hype and awesome. Otherwise it's like a low energy podcast.

Especially when the crossbow was used rather than taking the chance to just use melee weapons to fight.

More salt or more practice? So it won't be everyone not knowing what they are doing and just using normals and specials randomly. At least some basic combos? It might be asking a lot since not everyone will have time to practice or want to play seriously.

More salt or more practice? So it won't be everyone not knowing what they are doing and just using normals and specials randomly. At least some basic combos? It might be asking a lot since not everyone will have time to practice or want to play seriously.

No, I don't expect that at all, that would take way too much time, It's just that a lot of the entertainment from a Brawl depends on how each player is trying to constantly shit on everybody else.

Just implementing a tournament style system on it wouldn't help, but as it is now, I'm only excited when it's a game like Alpha 3 or Third Strike.

Some things like Battle Fantasia have nobody playing being that invested while also lacking my own personal interest. It's a game-to-game complaint though.
If you want that change made to FnF then it needs to be changed to once every 3 months and Matt and Liam get kicked out.
I realize actually making them Brawls is unfeasible, yeah.

Like, no offense to Liam or Matt, but with Liams crippled ass hands and general enjoyment of fighting games and Matts unwillingness to practice, if you want super competent play you need to give Woolie and I the entire video and do one a month max.

Nah, I like the casual laid back style of FNF. There are plenty of competitive fighting game youtube channels out there. Its rare to see one where they're just laid back playing whatever for an hour a week. Seeing more competitive fighting game videos around the channel would be cool though. Some ocassional Woolie vs Pat Ultimax or USF4 matches where they do post commentary on what happened would be really cool. Kinda like the Matt/Woolie KI video

Zenfalcia

If you want that change made to FnF then it needs to be changed to once every 3 months and Matt and Liam get kicked out.

That wouldn't be good. So it'd be better to keep it as is. It's still enjoyable to watch the FnFs and see new fighting games. What would be the reason behind those decisions, don't answer if you don't want to. I'm assuming due to time to play the games, and other factors?

Edit: i didn't notice your other post until now. Hmm.. ok. Understandable.

That wouldn't be good. So it'd be better to keep it as is. It's still enjoyable to watch the FnFs and see new fighting games. What would be the reason behind those decisions, don't answer if you don't want to. I'm assuming due to time to play the games, and other factors?

Woolie and I are way better than they are at fighters and it takes a while to gain even general competency, and it decreases over time. If you play a lot of fighters you should know that. There's only maybe 15 total fighters that we've gotten "good" at, and FnF is weekly. We started it because we just love fighters in general.

Woolie and I are way better than they are at fighters and it takes a while to gain even general competency, and it decreases over time. If you play a lot of fighters you should know that. There's only maybe 15 total fighters that we've gotten "good" at, and FnF is weekly. We started it because we just love fighters in general.

Yo what's Woolie's standard for a "good" fighting game anyways? I wanted to see you guys play more weird shit (and a specific one in mind) but maybe he'd be like "This is too garbage"

Nah, I like the casual laid back style of FNF. There are plenty of competitive fighting game youtube channels out there. Its rare to see one where they're just laid back playing whatever for an hour a week. Seeing more competitive fighting game videos around the channel would be cool though. Some ocassional Woolie vs Pat Ultimax or USF4 matches where they do post commentary on what happened would be really cool. Kinda like the Matt/Woolie KI video
I don't even mean that I dislike how they are now, it just seems that occasionally videos have a fighter that nobody really cares about being played. With commentary lacking discussion of what's being played. That's just something that comes with being a weekly series though, I suppose.

Occasional competitive things would be sick. That Matt/Woolie KI video was neat.

MormaPope

Banned
Like, no offense to Liam or Matt, but with Liams crippled ass hands and general enjoyment of fighting games and Matts unwillingness to practice, if you want super competent play you need to give Woolie and I the entire video and do one a month max.

Realistically the series would have to revert back to Best Friends Brawl with no fighting games, with Friday Night Fisticuffs turning into what you just posted. I don't really want that to happen though.

Plus what I just posted is something that will happen eventually. Around this time next year you guys will have played any fighting game worth playing, the series will either have to be changed up or end in the future. I mean, a year from now is 52 weeks, 52 more fighting games.

Maybe one FNF a month should be just that then, and the other 3 be the regular casual ones?

The series is already changing up, though. That being said, ALL fighting games are worth playing. I can see why you would disagree, but we believe that even the rancid garbage or super boring is deserving of at least a half an hour look. Its why we love this series. For weekly viewers though, if you're not obsessed with fighters, I can get how you can be like, wtf, why isn't this third strike/ultimax/guilty gear/alpha/etc.

Easiest way to get the Zaibatsu salty would be to have something tangible worth fighting over. Like the Gurren Blu-Rays for example. Have a monthly brawl to determine who keeps it in their apartment. Liam can mediate since he already has the set

Zenfalcia

No, I don't expect that at all, that would take way too much time, It's just that a lot of the entertainment from a Brawl depends on how each player is trying to constantly shit on everybody else.

Just implementing a tournament style system on it wouldn't help, but as it is now, I'm only excited when it's a game like Alpha 3 or Third Strike.

Some things like Battle Fantasia have nobody playing being that invested while also lacking my own personal interest. It's a game-to-game complaint though.

I over inflated my expecations of being actually feasable. Yeah it wouldn't be phsycially possible to do what i had in mind.

A tournament style would not be good at all since not everyone is at the same skill level and have not invested the same amount of time.

I actually quite like seeing quirky new fighters. Sure not all of them are super interesting but it does bring them to the spotlight.

Yes, i realized at how impossible my idea was. That's because you play a new fighting game a week and also need time to practice, which would take even more effort to get to a certain skill level and keep up that skill into the day of the game to be played.

I meant for his own amusement outside of the LP.

oh.. ok.. that makes sense now.

The series is already changing up, though. That being said, ALL fighting games are worth playing. I can see why you would disagree, but we believe that even the rancid garbage or super boring is deserving of at least a half an hour look. Its why we love this series. For weekly viewers though, if you're not obsessed with fighters, I can get how you can be like, wtf, why isn't this third strike/ultimax/guilty gear/alpha/etc.
In that case I'm going to be a huge scumbag and say PLEASE PLAY GROOVE ON FIGHT if you can even find a way to do that. I have the dumbest reason for wanting to see this on the channel
Easiest way to get the Zaibatsu salty would be to have something tangible worth fighting over. Like the Gurren Blu-Rays for example. Have a monthly brawl to determine who keeps it in their apartment. Liam can mediate since he already has the set
I think they gave the other set to someone that's not the 4 of them? I might be misremembering though

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I love FnF the way it is, and honestly I'd like to see some more "obscure" fighters played on it. Like, not quite Scrublords-tier stuff, but more stuff outside the usual SF/KoF/Tekken/etc. spectrum. The Waku Waku 7/Galaxy Fight episode is great. I'd love to see more like that.

Also, Guilty Gear Isuka. It's trash, but it could be fun to watch since you've got four players.

In that case I'm going to be a huge scumbag and say PLEASE PLAY GROOVE ON FIGHT if you can even find a way to do that. I have the dumbest reason for wanting to see this on the channel

The only reason anyone ever plays Groove On Fight is the
underboob

Personally I prefer the SBF brawl videos though, where even something as simple as an imaginary pride on the line makes you guys play even harder and crazier and talk even more amazing shit to each other =p

"You guys are the DEEPEST motherfuckers!"

"Isn't this easier?! Isn't this your natural state?!

MormaPope

Banned

This is actually neat to know.

Because that means you'll eventually have to play Dong Dong Never Die https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kZQhZbJevM. I found a Rom for it last year. It still exists.

Favorite FnF was Bloody Roar, that game looks raw as fuck.

grimmiq

While I'm sure Matt and Katawa Liam will get super hype for SFV when it comes out and there'll be a great FnF, but if they're unwilling or unable to practice to a competent level with upcoming fighting games, it would be cool to have once a month or every 2nd week a Pat and Woolie vs BestGAF with Guilty Gear Xrd, Mortal Kombat X, Ultimax, Tekken 7, etc. Especially with the Silent Protagonist intro for FnF being a BestGAF player.

Alright, thanks for replying. I guess it's just a different strokes thing. The only one that I really disliked was stuff like TMNT smash up, but that was for turtles week. There's a good number of obscure ones that were kickass, like Galaxy Fight.

I think they gave the other set to someone that's not the 4 of them? I might be misremembering though

Because that means you'll eventually have to play Dong Dong Never Die https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kZQhZbJevM. I found a Rom for it last year. It still exists.

Don't worry about Groove on Fight. We have a working and recordable saturn, so it's defacto on the list. Woolie is a lot of things, but I am routinely amazed at how he finds new fighters none of us have ever heard of EVERY WEEK. The mans got an addiction. Also we're all very familiar with Dong Dong. It's on the list, eventually.

Personally I prefer the SBF brawl videos though, where even something as simple as an imaginary pride on the line makes you guys play even harder and crazier and talk even more amazing shit to each other =p

"You guys are the DEEPEST motherfuckers!"

"Isn't this easier?! Isn't this your natural state?!
I love the Anarchy Reigns Brawl so fucking much

What the actual fuck oh god that screen tearing
Then they can wager LP rights. Pat vs Woolie vs Liam for the right to be the player in a Bloodborne LP would be glorious in its sodium content
That would be some intense shit

Zenfalcia

While I'm sure Matt and Katawa Liam will get super hype for SFV when it comes out and there'll be a great FnF, but if they're unwilling or unable to practice to a competent level with upcoming fighting games, it would be cool to have once a month or every 2nd week a Pat and Woolie vs BestGAF with Guilty Gear Xrd, Mortal Kombat X, Ultimax, Tekken 7, etc. Especially with the Silent Protagonist intro for FnF being a BestGAF player.

One person or a lobby perhaps? It could also include matt and liam for some fights and dialogue about the game or stories?
I am mad of you guys, always playing smash when I am sleeping.

(insert unbelievably adorable "angry" anime girl gif)

It's finne..

Also the girl is from an anime called kyoukai no kanata.. i think i got the name right.

MormaPope

Banned
Don't worry about Groove on Fight. We have a working and recordable saturn, so it's defacto on the list. Woolie is a lot of things, but I am routinely amazed at how he finds new fighters none of us have ever heard of EVERY WEEK. The mans got an addiction. Also we're all very familiar with Dong Dong. It's on the list, eventually.

Never doubted that, but it hypes me up knowing that the bottom of the barrel fighters are going to be played. Broken and garbled fighting games even everything out skill gap wise.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Anyway, we'll know FnF has run out of steam when they decide to do Capcom Fighting All-Stars. THAT'S when FnF is dead. :lol

Also, to throw out a couple more things I'd like to see, ArcSys Sengoku Basara and Rumble Fish would be great.

737007.gif
Sure. it would be interesting.

Sure. Go for it.

I dunno guys, are you sure?
Yes definitely

Can't sleep and can't talk about anything else so here goes.
That's actually not a delay. People don't actually react instantly to scares. The only moment I can ever point to, out of work that I've done, where the desync is noticeable, is in part 33 of Deadly Premonition

Spoilers, obviously

http://youtu.be/kIscJq6bmcY?t=38m8s

Matts timing on "Zach" was actually spot on, and it bothered me that I couldn't seem to make the audio fit. I feel stupid that it took me this long to notice it exactly, I just ran two audio tests on a goof while testing some other equipment stuff.

Also, I don't want to come off like an ass, but the synch issues vary wildly because it depends who's editing it. Matt consistently forgets to actually do the initial synch test and that totally fucks him up when he has to just ballpark it. I've been slowly pulling the gang around to my hyper anal version of editing where you're paranoid and you check and recheck shit all over.

I hate it. I HATE it. I hate that every LP I edited from Revengeance back, I used the default re-sampling setting and it ends up looking blurry. I hate that we didn't know about the PS3s weird audio video settings when we did RE2 and Heavy Rain and those games audios are fucked up. I hate HATE HATE how I fucked up a setting on the brand new el gato and RUINED the first two parts of deadly premonition. How I left the similar setting on during a later part including a final boss fight that led to having echoey audio. I hate that I accidentally left the sync test in "Candles". Ugh. It's fucking bullshit. None of them can be fixed, at this point, either.
I really hate that as well. I run my crappy little channel as best as I can. First it would be just go with it since it was mainly game audio only then when I finally got commentary, I had to deal with that as well. I would make slates by clapping with captured video of my desktop and audacity but since I've been told my audio sounds crap, I switched to another method which makes syncing a little harder. It just sucks when it goes fine then it doesn't sync after a few minutes. Such a pain so I feel you on that.
Man why the fuck did I read Evil Within comments. This is a bummer. It's like this on Dark Souls too. Walking Dead as well. People seem to basically lose their shit if we either aren't doing great, or if we don't like something. I'm seeing a ton of comments about people raging that everything I complained about in 23 was my fault, despite the fact that i was dealing with magic doors, instant shooting enemies, and ammo prompts that would literally disappear inside the letterbox. I guess we have to pick LPs a lot more carefully because this can't possibly be good for the channel.
Fuck comments. I understand frustrations and things but people bitching about missing things or not doing things a certain way can fuck off. I loved the TLOU play through and I just don't get the bullshit about how it was fucked up or whatever people want to complain about. My online true gripe is Woolie exhaustion. He does great work behind the scenes and podcast but his play style is so hard to watch in LP'S. If you're thinking about having Matt & Liam sit out for FNF'S, I think Woolie can sit out LP's for awhile.
The worry is more or less that the quality is decreasing and that's causing the swell in negativity. And considering I rely on people caring to make a living, it's worrying. Seriously worrying.

We'd never not do something because of the comments, that's absurd, if that was the case we would never have thought to do Dark Souls, but the worry is that the actual quality is decreasing and that's worrying.
I don't think it's decreasing. Shit happens and you obviously care about the quality otherwise you wouldn't think about it.
All I can say is play some Ninja Masters. That's my shit and I use a little bit of the OST as my channel intro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom