• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 8: "You know, we really are the Super Best Friends Play"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd love to live in a small town where people know me. Living in a cold metropolis can get pretty lonely.

People are callus and indifferent as fuck. If I didn't have to give up creature comforts like great restaurants and entertainment, I'd happily move to small town Murica.

I'd say it's a "grass is greener on the other side" thing. Though, I grew up in a small rural town where everyone keeps to themselves, so it was both far away to even get to a grocery store and pretty lonely.

In an ideal situation, I'd probably want to move to a large few acre plot of my own land, that's only 10-15 minutes out from a shopping centre.

So, how exactly does this secret santa work? After a certain time, do I get an email with who I'm supposed to send shit?

As I understand it, we get an email when the signup ends (today) and we have to gift something for that person. I believe our understood minimum is $5 and the limit is $40.

If the person you're gifting for is overseas, then you can just send something digital, don't feel obligated to make it physical.

-----------

I think I should draft up a google doc for people to list their platforms they can game on, so people can know if they don't have a PC but have a Mac, only have a PS3, etc.

Beloved

I'd love to live in a small town where people know me. Living in a cold metropolis can get pretty lonely.

People are callus and indifferent as fuck. If I didn't have to give up creature comforts like great restaurants and entertainment, I'd happily move to small town Murica.

Well, it's not that I don't like small towns. I should elaborate that I don't like small towns that aren't close to anything decent, like a movie theater or a mall, and that are filled with people that have extremely different views to my own.

Living in a smallish town that's within a 20 minute drive of great food and fun, is right up my alley.

That's actually the problem, in most small cities people are still callous and indifferent, there's just less to do and stores close early. You have to go really small to get that feeling of intimacy, but the trade-off means you have like, one store and one bar, and even then people are usually pent up being cooped up in a small town all their lives. There's no really good middle ground, unfortunately.

Albany Oregon is a bad middleground, where we're big enough that there's no intimacy but small enough that they're absolutely nothing to do and no businesses stay around. We open and close a hobby shop once every six months here, it's super depressing.

Well, it's not that I don't like small towns. I should elaborate that I don't like small towns that aren't close to anything decent, like a movie theater or a mall, and that are filled with people that have extremely different views to my own.

Living in a smallish town that's within a 20 minute drive of great food and fun, is right up my alley.

Sounds like parts of Long Island.

You'd fit right into NYC.

I'd be down for the Secret Santa but between actually buying a birthday gift for the gf, my nieces wedding in VEGAS, Christmas and a WWE show in LA, I'm beyond poor.

That's actually the problem, in most small cities people are still callous and indifferent, there's just less to do and stores close early. You have to go really small to get that feeling of intimacy, but the trade-off means you have like, one store and one bar, and even then people are usually pent up being cooped up in a small town all their lives. There's no really good middle ground, unfortunately.

Albany Oregon is a bad middleground, where we're big enough that there's no intimacy but small enough that they're absolutely nothing to do and no businesses stay around. We open and close a hobby shop once every six months here, it's super depressing.

So small towns aren't very personable and everyone knows your name type of deals?

Not trying to cutter up the thread, but I wanna ask again. Should I make a list of platforms for Secret Santa so people don't buy people games for consoles/systems they don't own?
So small towns aren't very personable and everyone knows your name type of deals?
Some really small ones, but it really depends on the people there.

Beloved

Definitely not.

But where I grew up, was actually a good balance. "Southern hospitality" is a great thing, you don't need everyone to know you, to have that feeling of fellowship and understanding in a smaller community. Of course you'll still have your issues and encounter assholes, but that happens everywhere.

And all the "cool" places, were all within 15-20 minutes away.

ultimax

This gif is actually my favorite ever. Everytime I lose my shit when I see it.
Its literally the perfect reaction gif
As I understand it, we get an email when the signup ends (today) and we have to gift something for that person. I believe our understood minimum is $5 and the limit is $40.

If the person you're gifting for is overseas, then you can just send something digital, don't feel obligated to make it physical.

-----------

I think I should draft up a google doc for people to list their platforms they can game on, so people can know if they don't have a PC but have a Mac, only have a PS3, etc.
^this is a good idea

I know a guy from Long Island and he's hilarious. One time we were ordering pizza and he kept calling them "pies"! Everyone had a great laugh that day.

But they are called pies. Pizza pies. Pies for short.

Definitely not.

But where I grew up, was actually a good balance. "Southern hospitality" is a great thing, you don't need everyone to know you, to have that feeling of fellowship and understanding in a smaller community. Of course you'll still have your issues and encounter assholes, but that happens everywhere.

And all the "cool" places, were all within 15-20 minutes away.

"Bless his heart" needs to be in my New York vernacular one day.

Southerners are experts at passive aggressive comments. North easterners are a little more blunt.

I'd never really thought about that before but you are absolutely correct.

This is what I found when I was looking for Southern insults a few weeks ago.

http://www.countryoutfitter.com/style/southern-insults/

I knew a redhead girl who went to my college from the South and she always had the best insults. She was also the best at being passive aggressive.

Oregon calls it Soda.

In North Carolina, when we went to visit family, it was called "pop" or "fountain beverage".
Annoyed the hell out of me for no particular reason.

Beloved

This is what I found when I was looking for Southern insults a few weeks ago.

http://www.countryoutfitter.com/style/southern-insults/

I knew a redhead girl who went to my college from the South and she always had the best insults. She was also the best at being passive aggressive.

In North Carolina, when we went to visit family, it was called "pop" or "fountain beverage".
Annoyed the hell out of me for no particular reason.

"I'm just sayin'" is absurdly common on social media from Southern people. The rest are often said in a genuine way, not a passive aggressive way, though it does happen sometimes or jokingly.

Also the "northern" southern states like North Carolina, Kentucky, Virginia, etc are more prone to saying things like "pop".

You never hear someone call soft drinks "pop" in Alabama/Mississippi/Georgia etc

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
We call it pop here in Ohio, but I've noticed myself slowly transitioning over to calling it soda, probably because I think "pop" sounds silly.

Also, I remember seeing a map that showed what people called it by county/region, and noticing that Miami was the only place in Florida that called it something other than "coke" (a lot of places in the south call all soda "coke"). I brought this up to my friend from Miami and a day later he tells me "...I just realized why we don't call it coke".

I laughed pretty hard.

Not trying to cutter up the thread, but I wanna ask again. Should I make a list of platforms for Secret Santa so people don't buy people games for consoles/systems they don't own?

Some really small ones, but it really depends on the people there.

Make sure to include regions for the region locked consoles.

We call it pop here in Ohio, but I've noticed myself slowly transitioning over to calling it soda, probably because I think "pop" sounds silly.

Also, I remember seeing a map that showed what people called it by county/region, and noticing that Miami was the only place in Florida that called it something other than "coke" (a lot of places in the south call all soda "coke"). I brought this up to my friend from Miami and a day later he tells me "...I just realized why we don't call it coke".

I laughed pretty hard.

I visited Michigan last year and the gf says "pop". I want to shake it out of her.
IT'S SODA!!

Bill-Hader-Holding-in-Laugh.gif

Beloved

I say soft drink and occasionally soda when I don't want to confuse people who aren't from here.

I really dislike the word pop for carbonated beverages though xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom