• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

I thought the ways it was built for 3D was actually detrimental to the gameplay in a way I hadn't considered before playing. The camera angles in a couple stages seem meant to accentuate the 3D effect, but does a poor job at showing you what you need to see. There are deliberate sacrifices made for the 3D, and worse is how turning on 3D doesn't really help with those problems. It's for visual appeal, which isn't bad because the game looks stunning in 3D, but the camera suffered a bit.

The camera and control quirks are the only two problems with this game (if you ignore the ridiculous requirements to unlock the last stage). I can't tell if it's my mind playing tricks on me or if the game switches between digital and analog control for different stages. Sometimes I can't make fine turns, while other times I'd be running to the right and notice I'm moving slightly downwards too.

KarmaCow

Is the last stage actually good? Even though the special worlds were better than the main game, I'm not really motivated to just run through the game again.

Hollywood Duo said:
You can kick them.

Edit: Oh I think you meant straight up in the air? Nah. You can kick them upwards since it is 3d :).

ha. yeah, i meant straight up in the air to, like, hit blocks above your head. old school style. but you cant. oh well! haha.

Murrah

Banned
KarmaCow said:
Is the last stage actually good? Even though the special worlds were better than the main game, I'm not really motivated to just run through the game again.

If you played the last stage in Galaxy 2 it's of the same mold, though personally I thought it was harder than that since I wasn't using a tanooki suit

I thought the last segment of the level was a cute throwback to World, too

KarmaCow

Murrah said:
If you played the last stage in Galaxy 2 it's of the same mold, though personally I thought it was harder than that since I wasn't using a tanooki suit

Alright then, that sounds good. Really wish Nintendo didn't hide the level behind such lazy padding though.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
The 3D effect is so good :eek:
First game after OoT that will be played and finished in 3D.

pa22word

KarmaCow said:

Not really, honestly.
Some of the jumps require you yo be stupidly precise with your forward momentum, to the point that if you don't bring a Tanooki suit you're going to die quite a bit.

The Perfect Run is a much, much better designed stage than S8-Crown is.

I've been playing this in small spurts since Monday and I'm totally blown away. Just passed W3-2 and loved the under water physics. Can't wait to play more.

And which level is the
Zelda
homage?

Reluctant-Hero said:
I've been playing this in small spurts since Monday and I'm totally blown away. Just passed W3-2 and loved the under water physics. Can't wait to play more.

And which level is the
Zelda
homage?

You should be coming up to it real soon. You'll know because it has
a top town perspective

StrikerObi said:
You should be coming up to it real soon. You'll know because it has
a top town perspective
I barely even noticed it was that stage until the music queue hit. I kind of thought it was only because I had read about it previously but didn't know for sure. Wasn't overly impressed.

Asked this before but didn't get an answer: am I right to assume that in this game Bowser can't be defeated with fireballs or do I just need to pound him a lot more?

Agent Unknown said:
Asked this before but didn't get an answer: am I right to assume that in this game Bowser can't be defeated with fireballs or do I just need to pound him a lot more?
Don't know for sure but that certainly isn't the intended way to get him

I've been working through the S8 World going back through every stage, getting all the star coins I can. I was planning to do that eventually, but now I feel like I'm being forced to do it to see the last level. Some of those stages I really don't want to play. Fuck anything with auto scrolling or the platforms that disappear to the beat.

CrisKre

Slevels are tough. damn. So to see the final level i have to complete every level as Luigi as well right? is there any indication to know which levels Ive completed as him? do i have to get golden flags with him too?

Sinthetic

I have gotten my ass handed to me on a few stages post game. Seriously, I die, then do the same mistake and die, then die again, from the same exact jump at the same wrong time.

*Bashes head*

Berordn

CrisKre said:
Slevels are tough. damn. So to see the final level i have to complete every level as Luigi as well right? is there any indication to know which levels Ive completed as him? do i have to get golden flags with him too?
There is an indicator that shows who's beat what, but you don't get it until you complete certain objectives. You only need to get golden flags once, though.

Kazerei

Banned
I'm up to four stars! Just gotta replay all the levels as Luigi and pick up a few yellow flags now...

So what's everybody's death count? Mine is 308

Glix

I'm just so impressed. While I was expecting good things, I was also expecting something that I usually don't from Nintendo products... a rushed game.

It is ANYTHING but that. The controls are beautiful (I know that some people have a philosophical issue with them, but even if you do, they are implemented beautifully)

There is a ton of content, the game is a joy to play, and the levels are great.

I had very little faith that you could give a game the 2d mario feel in 3d, but they managed to accomplish it better than I ever could have imagined.

EAD Tokyo, I love you.

EDIT - I have issues with crouch jumping. Do you have to be moving to get the high flip jump out of it? I feel like sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Beat World 8 earlier. I very much enjoyed the stages so far, the Bowser battle was pretty fun,
keeping things focused on platforming for the Bowser showdown has worked well twice now with NSMB wii being the other candidate
I look forward to starting the special stages. If the quality keeps up this may become one of my top Mario games.

Cynosure

I think I've encountered a glitch.

In W8-1, I jumped up to hit a question box and got stuck inside it. I can move around with just Mario's legs showing inside the box. And as I move, I get coins.

Cynosure said:
I think I've encountered a glitch.

In W8-1, I jumped up to hit a question box and got stuck inside it. I can move around with just Mario's legs showing inside the box. And as I move, I get coins.
Thats normal :lol

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
KarmaCow said:
Alright then, that sounds good. Really wish Nintendo didn't hide the level behind such lazy padding though.

Is it really lazy tho? There's already
tons of S worlds just for beating the game.

The way I see it, older games never did anything tangible to reward you for maxing them out. Yoshi's Island, Mario 64, Mario Sunshine... get perfect scores, collect all items, all stars, and nothing happens except, maybe, an extra thank you screen.

That's fine, but it would have been nice if there would have been a gameplay reward for totally blowing the game out.

I guess that's how I see the final hidden levels in Galaxy 2 and 3D Land.

Kai

Murrah said:

What are you guys talking about? Is there a special last level?

I have beaten worlds 1-8 and Special 1-8 with all Coins and Flags - just need to get the 5th star by beating all the levels again with Luigi... is there something after that?

Kard8p3

Kai said:
What are you guys talking about? Is there a special last level?

I have beaten worlds 1-8 and Special 1-8 with all Coins and Flags - just need to get the 5th star by beating all the levels again with Luigi... is there something after that?

correct

zigg

Berordn said:
There is an indicator that shows who's beat what, but you don't get it until you complete certain objectives.

Sigh, what was that "certain objective" again? I forgot and I'm not keen on picking through the last several pages of this thread.

Raw64life

So I just read about touching the top of the flagpole on every stage being a requirement to unlock something. Is there any way to tell if you've done that or not? Because I'm halfway through World 5 and it would be pretty annoying to have to go through every stage again to figure out which ones I need to do over.

Roto13

Raw64life said:
So I just read about touching the top of the flagpole on every stage being a requirement to unlock something. Is there any way to tell if you've done that or not? Because I'm halfway through World 5 and it would be pretty annoying to have to go through every stage again to figure out which ones I need to do over.
There's a little gold flag on the lower right corner of the top screen on the world map when you're standing on a level you've gotten the gold flag on. And you have to do every level again, anyway, as Luigi.

Shakala

Raw64life said:

Should be a golden flag at the bottom right corner of the top screen when you're standing on a level in the world map

I like the game so far. About to finish world 3, and though I must say, it is a little easy so far. This is coming from someone who usually sucks at mario games

jokkir

Shakala said:
Should be a golden flag at the bottom right corner of the top screen when you're standing on a level in the world map

I like the game so far. About to finish world 3, and though I must say, it is a little easy so far. This is coming from someone who usually sucks at mario games

It'll get harder.... ohohoho

Raw64life

Roto13 said:
There's a little gold flag on the lower right corner of the top screen on the world map when you're standing on a level you've gotten the gold flag on. And you have to do every level again, anyway, as Luigi.

And I'm assuming you only need one gold flagpole between them? Not so bad if that's the case.

Roto13

shadyspace said:
So when do you need to play as Luigi? Also, is collecting all the every single star coin necessary for anything?
You have to complete every level as both Mario and Luigi and collect every star coin and hit the top of every flag pole to unlock the last level.
Raw64life said:
And I'm assuming you only need one gold flagpole between them? Not so bad if that's the case.
Yeah, they share the flagpoles and star coins.

Doorman

I'm trying as best I can to avoid reading a lot about the postgame stuff (aside from knowing about Luigi, at least). I'm about halfway through world 5 and what I've been afraid of has been cropping up. I've been having fun with it and all, but...I don't know, I just haven't felt particularly wowed or excited about anything I've encountered yet. Moving through the levels has felt almost businesslike, just rolling from one obstacle to the next, and finding all of the special coins hasn't taken more than one or two repeats of a level.

Mario was a series that I never thought I'd experience franchise fatigue with, but I'm wondering if that might be what's happening to me here. This feels more to me like New Super Mario Bros than it does Super Mario Galaxy, which isn't a bad thing from a pure play perspective, but the experience also seems just a little too familiar. I'm really hoping that the later levels pull out some surprises.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Like the Galaxy games before it once I got Luigi I never looked back...until the game made me beat all those levels again with Mario.

Grisby

This game is a great compliment to playing Skyrim.

Definitely the best 3DS game. Easy, but I'm having a ton of fun and the 3D is great.

Mistle

How does this game hold up in terms of the art style, visuals, and terrain Mario explores? I was playing Galaxy the other night and judging from what I've seen on 3D Land, it doesn't even hold a candle to Galaxy.

Happy to be proven wrong however!

Also, is the gameplay as creative (even though I realise it's a very different style)? Are there heaps of "wow" moments in terms of level design and gameplay mechanics?

Yeah, when I switch to Luigi it says I've still gotten the stars and flag. And when I replay a level, there's no difference in display. How can you tell you did it or not?

Sinthetic

Mistle said:
How does this game hold up in terms of the art style, visuals, and terrain Mario explores? I was playing Galaxy the other night and judging from what I've seen on 3D Land, it doesn't even hold a candle to Galaxy.

Happy to be proven wrong however!

Also, is the gameplay as creative (even though I realise it's a very different style)? Are there heaps of "wow" moments in terms of level design and gameplay mechanics?

There are sections in the game where it is stunning. Stylistically they are very similar, it's just 3D Land is more simple.

I swear on the very final boss, there is a section with rain hitting the terrain, I was speechless, couldn't believe it was on my 3DS.

The parts where you go to Toad's house is home to some of the most beautiful looking parts of the entire thing, it looks like a snowglobe.

Top Bottom