• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

Roto13

After you beat the S8 castle, you'll be in front of the regular 8 castle. Do that regular last castle again and it will start to show which brother has beaten which levels.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
mazeedibeedi said:
Does the game show you the levels each bro has beaten?

On the top screen, while on the 'World' map, it will display a M for Mario, L for Luigi and a Gold Flag if you have touched the tip of the flag pole.

branny

Grisby said:
This game is a great compliment to playing Skyrim.
Ahh! I agree 100%, though it's mainly for when my game is taking forever to do stuff (PS3 version...for now). Like when I'm storing things after a long quest. I just use my toe to spam square while I'm running around in Mario, haha.
*cries*

I was worried I'd hate this game because I'm one of those people who strongly dislikes 3D Mario games. I forced myself through Super Mario 64 and kept running into issues with Galaxy 1. That's totally not the case here. I'm having sooo much more fun with this. If you're like me and only really like SMB3 and SMW, give this game a try. Seriously!

I know it's stupid but and premature but I can't wait to see what they do with a sequel to this game.

It's near perfect but leaves a lot of room to even go crazier in design.

tanuki

I love everything about this game, but I wish there was an option to turn off Mario's voice. I'm ok with him talking in cutscenes or the title screen, but hearing him every time you press the jump button is too much.

Busaiku

So just beat Special World and Bowser with Mario.
Just that Luigi run left.

Honestly, the Special World stages were not that bad.
Most of the level 2's were actually the easiest levels in the game.
For all the other levels, the Tanooki Suit just destroyed everything.
Even without Tanooki Suit though, I'd say it's only as bad as Super Mario Galaxy.

Really there was never any power up that felt this broken in Super Mario Galaxy 2/New Super Mario Bros Wii.
Propeller Suit was pretty powerful, but you couldn't just stroll through everything like you can with the Tanooki Suit here.

Zebra

Obsessed said:
FUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCK
Shadow Mario.

YES. I was having so much fun with this game until
that bastard
showed up to stress me the fuck out.

Also, I stumbled upon a minor, completely inconsequential easter egg. If you
go to the toad house that has the photo album, and open up the picture of Luigi sitting on the Tanooki tree with Peach that you get from beating the final level in W8, you can roughly shake the 3DS and hear Luigi fall from the branch. I actually had a difficult time recreating this, but I got it to happen a few times. Not sure if it will work with the Mario picture, I didn't bother trying
. Yeah, really boring, but it's something.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Busaiku said:
So just beat Special World and Bowser with Mario.
Just that Luigi run left.

Honestly, the Special World stages were not that bad.
Most of the level 2's were actually the easiest levels in the game.
For all the other levels, the Tanooki Suit just destroyed everything.
Even without Tanooki Suit though, I'd say it's only as bad as Super Mario Galaxy.

Really there was never any power up that felt this broken in Super Mario Galaxy 2/New Super Mario Bros Wii.
Propeller Suit was pretty powerful, but you couldn't just stroll through everything like you can with the Tanooki Suit here.

Indeed. I think if some of the S-World stages forced you to do a no-power up / no-damage run, it would have been really challenging. But for those that do want that sort of challenge, they can enforce some rules on themselves.

rhino4evr

Up to world 3. Gotta say it's actually harder then I was expecting with so many folks claiming its "easy". Now New Super Mario Bros, that was easy. But I've died quite a few times. Of course I have like 30 lives already, which really just shows that it's way too easy to get 1ups..which has been a factor since Super Mario World on SNES.

Like that the levels are short and fun, but have little details and secerts. Great portable game.

Its so tempting to get this game. I have never played a 3D Mario game before. My last Mario game was Super Mario World on GBA. But my buddy picked this up and let me try it out on his 3DS and it was exhilarating and confusing. Im so used to 2D Mario, that its like re-learning how to walk when I tried Mario 3D. Im still not convinced yet....but getting there.

SpaceBridge said:
Its so tempting to get this game. I have never played a 3D Mario game before. My last Mario game was Super Mario World on GBA. But my buddy picked this up and let me try it out on his 3DS and it was exhilarating and confusing. Im so used to 2D Mario, that its like re-learning how to walk when I tried Mario 3D. Im still not convinced yet....but getting there.
You are Miyamoto's pet project.

Gonna buy the game tomorrow, can't wait.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
SpaceBridge said:

Although it appears to be '3D', most of the levels are very 2D (and linear) by design. You're not confronted with the open worlds in most cases, like Super Mario 64. I think if you enjoyed Super Mario World, there's no way you won't enjoy this.

hatchx

Banned
EvilMario said:
Indeed. I think if some of the S-World stages forced you to do a no-power up / no-damage run, it would have been really challenging. But for those that do want that sort of challenge, they can enforce some rules on themselves.

I'm on S-5, finding the levels and 3 special coins quite hard. Losing some of my disgusting stock-pile of lives.

Can anyone explain the streetpass for this? I got a few houses with random mii's showing up...how does that work?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
hatchx said:
I'm on S-5, finding the levels and 3 special coins quite hard. Losing some of my disgusting stock-pile of lives.

Can anyone explain the streetpass for this? I got a few houses with random mii's showing up...how does that work?

I think it's challenging enough to be rewarding, especially when you're going after coins. I do love the no-damage runs in the Galaxy games though.

Berordn

hatchx said:

Streetpasses for Mii Plaza will give you items for the Toad Houses, the more times you meet a particular Mii, the better gift you get. Streetpasses for 3D Land specifically will share a challenge box they've cleared with you, and it seems to give preference to ones you haven't gotten yourself yet (it seems to be prioritizing the special gold boxes too, but that's just me going on experience).

nluckett

Just have to pop in and heap praise on this game as well.

This is one of the tightest, most engaging portable games ever. The 3D makes the game canvas feel deep and large, the levels are super smart and Mario controls like a dream. Everything is super polished, include the menus and the little shaky storybook pictures drawn in a classic Mario style.

Ridley327

Zebra said:
that bastard

go to the toad house that has the photo album, and open up the picture of Luigi sitting on the Tanooki tree with Peach that you get from beating the final level in W8, you can roughly shake the 3DS and hear Luigi fall from the branch. I actually had a difficult time recreating this, but I got it to happen a few times. Not sure if it will work with the Mario picture, I didn't bother trying
You can also do this with the pic you unlock for completing
the Special World and beating Bowser again.

Speaking of, that picture you get is going to launch soooooooooooo much fan fiction.

Punisher

Neo Member
Zebra said:
that bastard

Heh, I didn't even know that
you could manipulate the photos by shaking the 3DS,
pretty nice touch.
I didn't have any trouble to get the Luigi falling soundbytes by the way. No luck on getting Mario to fall, he only enjoyed the breeze more.

Poor Luigi.

I've been loving this game! I'm a lifelong Mario fan, but I'm pretty sure I'm willing to say this is my favorite Mario game ever! And a lot of that is because the final boss battle is incredibly well done! So much fun!

WTF this is the hardest Mario game I've played in a long time. It might be because of the camera honestly. I don't know how many times I jumped off a ledge because it looked like I was going to land on a platform, only to find myself over shooting it. I've died a total of 242 times lol... With that said, I've probably had as much fun with this game as I did with Galaxy, and Galaxy is probably my favorite Mario game. This game was well worth the wait, and it's an absolute must for any Mario fan or 3DS owner.

Now I just need to finish the game with Luigi.

When people say you have to beat all the levels with Mario and Luigi, does that include the Special levels? And do I have to get a yellow flag with both bros or just one?

Berordn

StickSoldier said:
When people say you have to beat all the levels with Mario and Luigi, does that include the Special levels? And do I have to get a yellow flag with both bros or just one?
Yes, and just one.

dvolovets

Are the levels labeled in any way for you to know where you got gold flags? I know I missed a few, but I don't remember where exactly...

Busaiku

EvilMario said:
Although it appears to be '3D', most of the levels are very 2D (and linear) by design. You're not confronted with the open worlds in most cases, like Super Mario 64. I think if you enjoyed Super Mario World, there's no way you won't enjoy this.
The problem is how much it encourages the use of Tanooki Suit.
I think everything in the game except maybe 2 Star Coins can be done with the Tanooki Suit, however, not everything can be done without the Tanooki Suit.

Murrah

Banned
dvolovets said:
Are the levels labeled in any way for you to know where you got gold flags? I know I missed a few, but I don't remember where exactly...

Lower right corner of the upper screen during level select

I like this game a lot now. After getting to World 8 I definitely felt it began to fit more into my expectations. Really enjoying the challenge level. For a handheld game it shouldn't be too demanding or frustrating.

I actually love the "pacing" of challenge in this game.

I guess in a sequel, the levels could start on like "World 3" level but I think it's brilliant how almost always, the level following another one is crazier and more creative.

I'm cool with the first levels though, they're relaxing to mess around with and practice your skills.

Kai

Ok serious question - I loved this game. I'm done now and was wondering - is New Super Mario Bros. Wii a good single player Mario game like this?

This game makes me want to scratch some more platforming itches. I have already beaten Galaxy and Galaxy 2 so I want to decide on NSMBWii, Rayman Origins, BK: Nuts & Bolts or Sonic Generations next...

I have NSMBWii and BK: Nuts & Botls both sealed and just in my back pile.... Would have to go get Sonic Generations or Rayman Origins (I should consider DKC Returns too I guess).

Help me choose Gaf!

dwu8991

Banned
DanteRavenkin said:
I've been loving this game! I'm a lifelong Mario fan, but I'm pretty sure I'm willing to say this is my favorite Mario game ever! And a lot of that is because the final boss battle is incredibly well done! So much fun!

Does that mean 3DS final battle is better than SMG final battle???

Busaiku said:
The problem is how much it encourages the use of Tanooki Suit.
I think everything in the game except maybe 2 Star Coins can be done with the Tanooki Suit, however, not everything can be done without the Tanooki Suit.
You could say the same thing about the fire flower and Boomerang. I recall there were quite a few star coins that were specifically designed to make use of the boomerang and a few that made use of the fire flower.

Berordn

dwu8991 said:
Does that mean 3DS final battle is better than SMG final battle???
Worlds better.
It's more like the NSMBWii final battle in that it's all a platforming challenge, though Bowser's a bit more varied in what he does here.

Busaiku

Lord_Byron28 said:
You could say the same thing about the fire flower and Boomerang. I recall there were quite a few star coins that were specifically designed to make use of the boomerang and a few that made use of the fire flower.
There were 2 for the Boomerang that I can recall (which I noted). And even still, I think it might be possible to get 1 of them with the Tanooki Suit.
And I don't recall any of the Star Coins were given out by lighting the torches, just a bunch of regular coins.

Neiteio

Busaiku said:
There were 2 for the Boomerang that I can recall (which I noted). And even still, I think it might be possible to get 1 of them with the Tanooki Suit.
And I don't recall any of the Star Coins were given out by lighting the torches, just a bunch of regular coins.
Nope, you're wrong.
5-2's second star coin required a fire flower, and the boomerang star coins could only be reached by boomerang as they'd be on elevators, etc, that the tanooki couldn't return to since they'd elevate above him.
It's a pretty even spread when it comes to the powerup-exclusive star coins.

Anyway, I just finished Special Crown. INTENSE.
I held my breath as I dashed across the green flip panels spelling "THANK YOU!!" at the end, with less than a minute on the clock.

Kai said:
Ok serious question - I loved this game. I'm done now and was wondering - is New Super Mario Bros. Wii a good single player Mario game like this?

This game makes me want to scratch some more platforming itches. I have already beaten Galaxy and Galaxy 2 so I want to decide on NSMBWii, Rayman Origins, BK: Nuts & Bolts or Sonic Generations next...

I have NSMBWii and BK: Nuts & Botls both sealed and just in my back pile.... Would have to go get Sonic Generations or Rayman Origins (I should consider DKC Returns too I guess).

Help me choose Gaf!

I'd pick up DKC R. It's an absolute blast, looks gorgeous, and it's really tough. Lots of life balloons will go 'pop'! For me, a real ode to the SNES platformers, yet feeling fresh and energised once again.

Nuts and Bolgs isn't much of a platformer, but tinkering around building stuff is fun.

Javier

Kai said:

Help me choose Gaf!
NSMBWii is a great game. The full experience comes from the multiplayer, but it's still great for single player. It's traditional Mario platforming and if you like that, there's no reason to skip on this one.

DKCR is amazing, but notoriously harder than NSMBWii (I'd say it's the hardest game I've played on the Wii) so I suggest to go through NSMBWii first.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
And finally I'm with you, guys!

P9Jzv.jpg

Played till 2-3. Great, so far.
Very good graphics (even with 30fps and not 60, but the image is very clean, also, if not especially, in 3D), good music so far, great level design and an awesome Mario atmosphere. The controls are very tight, and the run button is justified by the level design itself. So far, great implementation of 3D, which IS linked to the level design.
Great game.

P.S. Level 2-3 is AMAZING.

Nicktendo86

Only got to play the first level last night (while waiting for the girlfriend to get off the TV so I could please skyward sword) but I liked what I played. Was really worried about the 8 way control with the slider but it played fine, in fact the best 2.5D control I've ever had. Thumbs up so far, what is the difference between the 3D levels though if you press down on the d-pad? Couldn't really work out what was changing...

Okay, I wasn't expecting much from this game at all but I picked it up because I saw it in a store. Played through the first world last night, and the charm has totally got me in an uproar. Holy shit @ the
first bowser boss, total throwback to Super Mario 1 but in 3D. Sooooo amazing.

Roto13

Neiteio said:
Nope, you're wrong.
5-2's second star coin required a fire flower, and the boomerang star coins could only be reached by boomerang as they'd be on elevators, etc, that the tanooki couldn't return to since they'd elevate above him.
It's a pretty even spread when it comes to the powerup-exclusive star coins.
The first coin you "need" the boomerang for can be gotten with the Tanooki Suit. I know because I did it. :p

Barrett2

Feels like the level design really starts to pop in world 4. So much cool stuff going on.

As someone who never owned a Wii or played the Galaxy games, im' in heaven.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Nicktendo86 said:
Only got to play the first level last night (while waiting for the girlfriend to get off the TV so I could please skyward sword) but I liked what I played. Was really worried about the 8 way control with the slider but it played fine, in fact the best 2.5D control I've ever had. Thumbs up so far, what is the difference between the 3D levels though if you press down on the d-pad? Couldn't really work out what was changing...

Pressing up on the d-pad, there is the "exiting" 3D: you see the action nearer to the screen; with this option on, there are pop out, thing exit from the screen, but the horizon scale is limited due to the vicinance.

Pressing down, you have the "entering" 3D: it's the normal 3D option you can find as default on all other 3DS games (Zelda, Star Fox... ).
You see everything IN the screen, deeper, but pop out effects are limited.

Chorazin

Man, the Special Worlds are just perfect, the difficulty spikes and it feels like I've finally gotten in the meat of the game. Plus beating every mission multiple times now is making it last longer, but not in a bad way. (Once with Mario, once with Luigi, and repeat if coins were missed.)

Nicktendo86

Mpl90 said:
Pressing up on the d-pad, there is the "exiting" 3D: you see the action nearer to the screen; with this option on, there are pop out, thing exit from the screen, but the horizon scale is limited due to the vicinance.

Pressing down, you have the "entering" 3D: it's the normal 3D option you can find as default on all other 3DS games (Zelda, Star Fox... ).
You see everything IN the screen, deeper, but pop out effects are limited.

Cool, thanks for that. Will just leave it on the default then!

Top Bottom