• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

I have played through world 4 so far and have not been completely impressed. Granted, my expectations for a mario game are always sky high, but nothing has wowed me yet. Level design is decent, and the linear 2.5D levels don't exactly wow me. It kinda reminds me of the 3D levels in Super Paper Mario, but now we have the option to view it in 3D. Miyamoto claimed 3D in Mario would make the difficult levels with depth easier to navagate because of the 3D, but it really doesn't improve the sense of depth for me. No doubt this is the best original game for the 3DS ( OoT3D is not original ), but given the poor library we have that's not saying a whole lot. Maybe the game will grow on me and my opinion will change while playing through the second half of the adventure.

Duallusion

I'm seriously thinking of buying 3DS and this game. One of my first forays into gaming was getting Game Boy with Super Mario Land (I must've played that game for dozens of hours altogether - even with my Game Boy turned upside down..) so it just feels right to do it.

But... how forgiving are time limits? I hate being rushed through anything in any game ever.

Also; how many hours of playtime are we talking here, to finish all levels, including bonus ones?

Sinthetic

I'm seriously thinking of buying 3DS and this game. One of my first forays into gaming was getting Game Boy with Super Mario Land (I must've played that game for dozens of hours altogether - even with my Game Boy turned upside down..) so it just feels right to do it.

But... how forgiving are time limits? I hate being rushed through anything in any game ever.

Also; how many hours of playtime are we talking here, to finish all levels, including bonus ones?

Do it!

Time limits are never an issue, you will finish every level with loads of time remaining, there are time add ons available in almost every level anyway.

I've spent 25 hours plus on it, including the main game, the speed runs, doing the game without Tanooki suit. It's amazing value for money, you can easily expect 15 - 30 hours of play time depending on how invested you are in the game.

BowieZ

Banned

Cleverly, if you go exploring, you will find a sufficient number of collectible stopwatches that give you extra time.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
This game.

This game.

vall03

fuck! I spent the whole day just playing this game! I only finished World 1 yesterday and now Im at Special World 1! looks like its time for a break...

vall03

Wait...you can do the special worlds without beating World 8?

sorry, what I meant is that I was at World 1 yesterday and today I just played through Worlds 2-8 non-stop and now Im at the Special Worlds, but then again, the stages are pretty short...

Barrett2

Just finished world 8. What a fantastic final level.

Time to jump into the special worlds!

Honestly, as great as it all is... there's something a bit boring about being on 150 lives.

The contrast between this and the original Super Mario Land -- where I probably had to restart my game 150 times the first time I played it (and still to this day I fail a handful of times en route to beating Tatanga) -- is pretty amusing.

Surely there's a happy medium between the two? I just kinda miss finding it very difficult to get to Bowser. That used to be my motivation to play and replay Mario games: "I forget what the final castle is like and want to beat Bowser again... time for a brand new play-through."

IMO Nintendo are masterful at dealing with this. They retain the 'lives' system to give the player motivation to hit blocks for coins, look for 1UPs, etc., and generally incentivize you to continue playing the game like you've always played Mario games, with the conceit that they will give you more lives than you will need. I think the idea is that the real challenge no longer lies in the dread of facing a game over screen, but rather your ability to get every gold coin, every top of the flagpole, navigate all the special levels, etc.

However, it would be interesting if at the beginning of the game there was an option for hardcore mode, you get three lives, a max cap of 3 lives at any point during the game, and 0-3 continues, or something like that.

BowieZ

Banned
Honestly, as great as it all is... there's something a bit boring about being on 150 lives.

The contrast between this and the original Super Mario Land -- where I probably had to restart my game 150 times the first time I played it (and still to this day I fail a handful of times en route to beating Tatanga) -- is pretty amusing.

Surely there's a happy medium between the two? I just kinda miss finding it very difficult to get to Bowser. That used to be my motivation to play and replay Mario games: "I forget what the final castle is like and want to beat Bowser again... time for a brand new play-through."

Sinthetic

Trust me, when you see the final level, you will really be glad the rest of the game wasn't THAT hard.

It's the most punishing level in any Mario game I can remember.

Honestly, might be the best surprise of the year. Even though it was EAD Tokyo, people kept saying to expect a "lite" version of Galaxies, but this is really quite something. The levels are a ton of fun, and it's a totally focused experience. The more you play, the more you realize they accomplished something amazing - they made a portable 3D mario game tailored perfectly to being portable. Shorter, slightly linear levels with the three coin hunt going on, lots of extra levels to play. It reminds me of Mario Land and Mario 3, where the levels aren't particularly long, but you don't mind as you digest it in smaller chunks.

Trust me, when you see the final level, you will really be glad the rest of the game wasn't THAT hard.

It's the most punishing level in any Mario game I can remember.

died twice

any level in the back half of SMB1, or any of SMB2j, or a good chunk of SMB3, is way harder than that

01DragonFly

I just got this game and it is amazing, it like playing galaxy in my 3ds , and the 3d effect does not bother me in the highest like other games. I have only played for about 30 minutes since I sleep like 4 hour the day before(I almost fell sleep during class) too bad that I just got Zelda and have halo remake and skyrim to play>.<(this weekend is going to be awesome)

mjc

I thought that 8-6 and the final level were the special extras, and I was a bit disappointed, but then I saw the eight special worlds after that.

This game went from great to superb with the extra worlds. So AWESOME!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Any amazing gifs for this game yet? That was my favorite part of the Galaxy thread.

I made one a while back:

SM3DL-CourseClear.gif

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Beat World 8 on the bus home today and was surprised to see that I was only half done with the game. Amazing.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So what happens if you beat a level using the cheat star mario thing? I did it early on without realizing what it was but I don't see a specific marking indicating that level was cheat beaten.

AniHawk

So what happens if you beat a level using the cheat star mario thing? I did it early on without realizing what it was but I don't see a specific marking indicating that level was cheat beaten.

you don't get shiny stars on your profile. just normal ol' boring stars.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
you don't get shiny stars on your profile. just normal ol' boring stars.

So if you use the cheat to beat a level is there any way to ID it and go back and replay it? I can't seem to tell them apart. Also I presume it's OK for the cheat to show up as long as you don't use it.

AniHawk

So if you use the cheat to beat a level is there any way to ID it and go back and replay it? I can't seem to tell them apart. Also I presume it's OK for the cheat to show up as long as you don't use it.

if the cheat shows up and you don't use it, you also don't get any shiny stars. once you lose more than five lives in a single level, it shows up and you're stuck with boring old normal stars unless you turn off the system when it shows up.

The last level.
S8-Crown.

What the fuck.

it's too bad that the game finally started being this at the very last possible moment. the game should have been more like this from the start.

dock

Been trying to get star coins as much as possible, but I'm completely stuck! The first coins on 1.4 and 2.1 are stopping me from filling out those levels. I know I'll kick myself when I finally see the solution!

Did the 1up trick, recorded a little video. :) http://yfrog.com/mc7ukz

dock

if the cheat shows up and you don't use it, you also don't get any shiny stars. once you lose more than five lives in a single level, it shows up and you're stuck with boring old normal stars unless you turn off the system when it shows up.

Ahh!! I have definitely used the cheat a few times! o_o Is there no way to tell? Maybe I should go through all the levels I've done again just to be certain, and avoid the cheat items in future.

Roto13

Ahh!! I have definitely used the cheat a few times! o_o Is there no way to tell? Maybe I should go through all the levels I've done again just to be certain, and avoid the cheat items in future.

Once you use the white tanooki suit or P-wing, that's it. There's no going back.

Top Bottom