• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D Land |OT| Jump Into a New Dimension!

Neiteio

I... what? So, I need to delete my save file and start over for the bonus? o_O;
The "bonus" is just some meaningless sparkles on the stars on your save file. You can still completely 100% the game the way you are now. The sparkles are purely aesthetic and just say you beat every level without dying enough for the cheat items to appear. Cheat items appeared for me on one level so I lost the chance to have sparkles, but I didn't care because I can still open all the levels, even the super secret last one, and get all the star medals and flagpoles and so on and so forth. I could still get all five stars on my file, which means I completely beat it. And so can you. So don't start over.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I find myself wanting more to do with all these coins.

The games aren't challenging to the point I really need 99 lives.
And there are some cool stunts or "secrets" you find yourself pulling off that I really wish I got rewarded for more than just useless coins. I know that's a staple but it's one area I wish evolved more with the times. You don't even have a "score" anymore to add the coin totals too so I don't feel incentivized much to collect all of them.

now that's an idea... now featuring NEW HAT! upgrade mario wardrobe! spend those g's

TheExodu5

Banned
Just looked up a video for S8-Crown...well I can say I'm glad I didn't bother grinding for that. What a disappointing finale. Very boring design, and too many unpredictable jumps (like having to jump off toad's head).

edit: by boring design, I mean visually.

This game is awesome. And it's the first 3DS game/app where it's actually incentivizing me to play with the 3D on all the time. I don't really feel it's helping with gameplay, but you can tell that the team crafted a lot of sequences with the 3D in mind. This game makes me actually care about experiencing that.

I beat the first eight worlds, and I'm loving how the final bosses in this and NSMBWii are essentially platforming challenges. Onto the next part of the game.

vall03

The "bonus" is just some meaningless sparkles on the stars on your save file. You can still completely 100% the game the way you are now. The sparkles are purely aesthetic and just say you beat every level without dying enough for the cheat items to appear. Cheat items appeared for me on one level so I lost the chance to have sparkles, but I didn't care because I can still open all the levels, even the super secret last one, and get all the star medals and flagpoles and so on and so forth. I could still get all five stars on my file, which means I completely beat it. And so can you. So don't start over.

eh? this is the first time I heard this, oh well. I have to be honest. I used the Golden Tanooki suit to beat Bowser because I got lazy to quit the game and farm for suits.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Picked this up today. And have managed to beat around 3 worlds so far, and man this is really awesome, much like super mario galaxy it seems to be getting even closer to capturing the charm and feel of the 2D games with the added 3D platform, the difficulty is a tad on the easy side though, but the level design is ace at least. Can't wait to play more.

This is also the first 3DS game where I've really found the 3D effect to be noticeable, good stuff.

orioto

Good Art™
Finally i'm pretty happy with the game (i didn't like the demo weirdly). Currently beating the special course.

There are even some (not enough) areas that bring me the special feeling i had when playing a Mario as a kid, this magical thing.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Is it a first impression or is the second half of Mario Land better than the 1st? I did 4 stages only but I like what I saw :)

elektrixx

Banned
I've just finished the first world. It bothers me how the illusion parts actually don't work in 3D. It's like the game encourages leaving 3D off until these illusion bits.

dock

The fact that it fails you the first time the cheat items appear is ultra harsh, if you don't even use them. Thanks for the tip, I'll ignore the lure of the shinies and save that for a second playthrough of the game, after I 100% it. :)

Javier

do i really need 50 coins to get into the world 5 castle? seems i am stuck
Yup.

But honestly, I think it's better to just play the game without worrying too much about Star Coins the first time around. If you see one you can easily pick up, pick it up, but if you miss a well-hidden one don't worry too much and move to the next level. The game gives you a reason to go through every stage twice anyway, so there's always a reason to go back.

I did it like this, and I didn't start going back for coins until
Special World 8

I've just finished the first world. It bothers me how the illusion parts actually don't work in 3D. It's like the game encourages leaving 3D off until these illusion bits.

Yes, I think when the gray [3D] Icon appears, you are supposed to turn off the 3D slider to fully enjoy the illusion of perspective

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ok, the
8-Crown
is what differentiate the experts from the children.
And so far... I feel so much like a child :(

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
awww yeah mine just arrived. going to be hard to wait till I finish dutch class this evening :(

what is annoying is my new 3ds won't connect to my club nintendo account. gives 'wrong credentials' all the time. annoying as fuuuck.

jarosh

yessss :D

smb3dstars.jpg

To
"Luigi Flag"
every level, do you just have to beat it with him, or do you have to Gold Flag it with him as well? Also, is there any kind of visual marker to show you've beaten the level with him? Because so far I have not seen any...

Also, final Bowser in World 8 was so fucking cool. Just platforming madness at its finest (so far)

EloquentM

aka Mannny
To
"Luigi Flag"
every level, do you just have to beat it with him, or do you have to Gold Flag it with him as well? Also, is there any kind of visual marker to show you've beaten the level with him? Because so far I have not seen any...

Also, final Bowser in World 8 was so fucking cool. Just platforming madness at its finest (so far)

You just have to beat every level with him. Once you beat s8-bowser with him it'll make you play w8-bowser beat that with hime open up your save file and it'll tell which levels you've beaten with which character.

I think its pretty lame that the shiny stars don't show up if the box even makes an appearance. It showed up once through my entire play through and I didn't even use it.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I think its pretty lame that the shiny stars don't show up if the box even makes an appearance. It showed up once through my entire play through and I didn't even use it.

why is it lame? its basically a nintendo achievement for bragging rights. it doesnt take anything away from the game.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
That's the same system from NSMB Wii right? I think it's kind of silly to have no indicator on the levels and no way to go for that achievement other than starting a new save game. Because the accomplishment itself is totally reasonable and fun to shoot for, so I don't see the need to make it so user-unfriendly. Hell, drop it to three lives, but at least make it transparent. The way the system is currently set up (afaik), once a single box pops up, you might as well just grab the suit on every hard level as far as the game is concerned since there's no distinction between using it and not on a level-by-level basis.

w/e really loving the game and just to be clear that's a super minor complaint

Holy shit does the difficulty ramp up in S3. I've died more times in the first two levels than I did during my entire play through of the main game. :O

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
On to world 5 now, and man as good as this game is, I think there's a real missed opportunity that they didn't have a score system akin to the 2D mario games in this game, it would have been a perfect fit for the short length of the levels.

So, I've never laid my hands on a 3DS, but I tried this out for a few min today at BB. Damn.. I was almost gonna buy the thing on the spot. Felt really tight and the 3D effect was actually impressive. Is this the same dev team that made the Galaxy games? If so, they're probably the best development team on the planet right now as far as I'm concerned.

Truth101

Banned
What score system would that be?

2D Mario games have a score system based on time, creatures stepped on, coins, power-ups ect...

So, I've never laid my hands on a 3DS, but I tried this out for a few min today at BB. Damn.. I was almost gonna buy the thing on the spot. Felt really tight and the 3D effect was actually impressive. Is this the same dev team that made the Galaxy games? If so, they're probably the best development team on the planet right now as far as I'm concerned.

Indeed it is the same team.

zigg

I've personally thought the score system has been rendered pretty obsolete since the games got saving. I'm a huge fan of the coin/1UP setup they have going now.

But... per-level scoring might have been an interesting addition, to go with your best time.

jyoung188

Played the first few worlds, loving it so far. This is the first 3DS game that I've been able to play in 3d without giving me a headache. I couldn't play Zelda oot or Pilotwings in 3d at all without feeling carsick. I play this with the slider about halfway up and it looks great.

PKrockin

The shiny stars are for being good at the game, not for refusing to give up.
Actually they're for being good at the game the first time you play it. I can beat the levels without being offered the cheat items now, but to 100% the game I can't just go back and beat the one level I failed on, I have to start a new file and do EVERYTHING over again. As far as I'm aware all the other collectibles needed to complete the game are presented to you and not missable, so why is this one?

It doesn't bother me much, but to those who like to 100% their games it's a bit of a slap in the face and I understand how they feel.

Roto13

Actually they're for being good at the game the first time you play it. I can beat the levels without being offered the cheat items now, but to 100% the game I can't just go back and beat the one level I failed on, I have to start a new file and do EVERYTHING over again. As far as I'm aware all the other collectibles needed to complete the game are presented to you and not missable, so why is this one?

Because it's not a collectible. It's a mark of pride/shame.

Scarecrow

Does the jumping in the game bug anyone else? I never feel like I'm running as fast as Mario should, and can't seem to make a bunch of jumps. I don't feel as precise as I should. Yes, I'm holding down the run button.

Top Bottom