• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

Bentendo said:
Are you serious? Like Galaxy I've been doing a media blackout on that so I wouldn't know.

Anyway, I've also got good news. I just went to the Iwata Asks for Super Mario Galaxy and in volume 3 with the sound team Iwata clearly states that he came BACK to Kyoto to talk to the sound team, Mahito included. So I guess him working on EAD Tokyo games is just coincidence (and besides, I forgot he did do Twilight Princess).

Yeah, the Other M teaser site had a nice mellow dramatic piano piece on it.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Well EAD Tokyo seems to skip a year or two (or three) between releases, so I think he's free to compose elsewhere.

2007: Super Mario Galaxy
2008: New Play Control: Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
2008: Flip Note Studio
2010: Super Mario Galaxy 2

But they have been hiring consistently. So I think their second team is much more capable now. Maybe working on a 3DS game? Donkey Kong 3DS? Star Fox 3DS? Who knows.

I haven't heard this in years but I instantly remembered every nuance... a tragedy that it wasn't used elsewhere. Hopefully Mahito Yakota is given some interesting roles in the future. If not Zelda, something similar.

Well Mahito Yokota did do one orchestrated song in Twilight Princess. The attract song played during title screen i think.

But it's not like Yokota is the absolute best composer. He was just given the ability to shine without using the ancient Koji Kondo EAD Sound Team Midi Libraries. You give some of the EAD Musicians the same orchestra budget, and you may get equally sounding genius. Kenta Nagata! (1080 Snowboarding!), Taro Bando (F-Zero X). Hajime Wakai (Star Fox 64) etc.

Eteric Rice

Anyone worried that Nintendo may never be able to top this? Or any company for that matter?

The only ones that have a shot in hell if you ask me are Naughty Dog and the guys making Epic Mickey.

Eteric Rice said:
Anyone worried that Nintendo may never be able to top this? Or any company for that matter?

The only ones that have a shot in hell if you ask me are Naughty Dog and the guys making Epic Mickey.

I don't think topping it should be a priority.
Rather, they should try to go sideways from it.
Make something that is equally great, but completely different.

D-Pad said:
What's going on you guys? These reviews... The music... Are we sure we mortals are allowed to play this?

Of course we aren't.
However, like Prometheus stole fire from the gods, we mortals have taken their treasure once more.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Anyway, I've also got good news. I just went to the Iwata Asks for Super Mario Galaxy and in volume 3 with the sound team Iwata clearly states that he came BACK to Kyoto to talk to the sound team, Mahito included. So I guess him working on EAD Tokyo games is just coincidence (and besides, I forgot he did do Twilight Princess).

No. Yokota and Kawamura both work in the Tokyo office physically. They may have traveled to Kyoto for the interview since Kondo works in the Kyoto office. But I don't think there is anything stopping them from making music for Kyoto games.

Miau

Neo Member
Neiteio said:
Oh my goodness...

The theme to Melty Monster Galaxy is AMAZING.

Give it a listen... And cry sweet tears of Mario World nostalgia knowing the below fellow makes his return. :D

super-mario-galaxy-2-20100224002508630_640w.jpg

Oh my God. Can't stop listening.

FUCK YOU NoE.

AceBandage said:
I don't think topping it should be a priority.
Rather, they should try to go sideways from it.
Make something that is equally great, but completely different.
the term you're looking for is heterogeneous goods

Bentendo

Shikamaru Ninja said:
No. Yokota and Kawamura both work in the Tokyo office physically. They may have traveled to Kyoto for the interview since Kondo works in the Kyoto office. But I don't think there is anything stopping them from making music for Kyoto games.

I was just curious. I see you posting a lot and you seem to know a lot about how Nintendo works. How do you know all of this? :lol

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I was in Gamestop today paying off the rest of my SMG2 pre-order, when all of a sudden I heard a worker in the back tell a guy "Dude, trust me... you'll like this game ten times better then both of those". I turned around to see the worker hand the guy a copy of Uncharted 2. As a gamer, my attention had already been won over. I must know what those other titles were. So me being the curious monkey that I am, I stretched my neck out extra far to see what the guy was putting back. I saw him lay down a copy of the PS3 version of RE5 and then walk over to the Wii section and placed SUPER MOTHER FUCKIN GALAXY back on the rack. I literally gasped out loud but caught it right before anyone really noticed.

Look, I understand that Uncharted 2 is a great game (only played the demo, so just going off the popular opinion). But how do you suggest anything over Galaxy to a random guy, especially considering he didn't even ask if he liked Platformers or shooters, whether or not he placed story over gameplay, or even if he had ever played Uncharted and/or a Mario before. And what if the dude just wanted a co-op online RE4?

I tell ya, I've never wanted to pimp slap a salesman more then I did at that moment.

Skiesofwonder

AceBandage said:
I doubt that GS employee even has a Wii, so I wouldn't worry about it.
He's just pimping out his favorites like most employees.

I'm all cool with people pimping out their favorite games. But (if what you suggest is true) to say a certain game is TEN TIMES better then something you haven't even played (and when that something is Galaxy) to some random dude you know nothing about, then that's not cool.

I wouldn't of even cared THAT much until I saw look on the guy's face after he put Galaxy back. It screamed "But.... I thought this game was supposed to be awesome", and that made me kinda..... sad.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
As tough as it may be to understand (I'm not saying this sarcastically) the image is as or more important than "the play" for a lot of people. There's still a lot of people who think Galaxy 1 is, as they say, "A silly little twitch game with a fat plumber". Which, in a manner of speaking, is true.

I already know a few people who actually have a Wii and are not interesting in Galaxy 2 at all, because, and I am not kidding, it doesn't have "an innovative story". As one guy said "Why should I care about it? Bowser kidnaps the princess again. I crave originality." This is a direct quotation.

Now, why the guy who said that has a Wii in the first place, I do not know.

LOCK

OMG I shouldn't have listened to the final boss music. Its so amazing.

I haven't been this excited for a game since Majora's Mask.

Kaijima said:
As tough as it may be to understand (I'm not saying this sarcastically) the image is as or more important than "the play" for a lot of people. There's still a lot of people who think Galaxy 1 is, as they say, "A silly little twitch game with a fat plumber". Which, in a manner of speaking, is true.

I already know a few people who actually have a Wii and are not interesting in Galaxy 2 at all, because, and I am not kidding, it doesn't have "an innovative story". As one guy said "Why should I care about it? Bowser kidnaps the princess again. I crave originality." This is a direct quotation.

Now, why the guy who said that has a Wii in the first place, I do not know.

10 to 1 he has all the CoD games.

cory

Banned
Uncharted 2 is the culmination of what games have been leading up to in the past generation or so in terms of presentation and gameplay, Galaxy is taking what you loved about videogames as a kid and pushing that to it's creative extreme.
Both are amazing in their own ways.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Yokota's normally awesome, but he fucked up the Bowser level music from SM64 and SMG. :(

Speevy

Banned
DeathbyVolcano said:
edit: let me just take this out entirely, just read below:

...have you listened Galaxy 2's version?

I'm not letting you get away with that stupid quote about Uncharted 2 being Tomb Raider with guns. Clearly you've never played the game if you think that.

Now back on topic.

Alex

Now we reach the part of the thread where people combat huge franchises against one another in order to satisfy an incredibly awkward superiority complex!

Alex said:
Now we reach the part of the thread where people combat huge franchises against one another in order to satisfy an incredibly awkward superiority complex!

I have nothing against the CoD games, and I loved Uncharted 2.
But I just find it hilarious when people say they want originality, and you can instantly tell what games are their favorites.

Alex

AceBandage said:
I have nothing against the CoD games, and I loved Uncharted 2.
But I just find it hilarious when people say they want originality, and you can instantly tell what games are their favorites.

Console warrior caricature is actually pretty easy to spot across all platforms. This current back and forth is a pretty good example of it!

cory

Banned
I probably will only get an hour or 2 in for this game before I go on vacation for a week :(
But maybe this is the kind of game that's better in smaller chunks, instead of all at once.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Alex said:

Could be worse.

We could be pitting games in the same franchise against each other, like with Zelda threads.

Skiesofwonder

Alex said:

I was hoping this wasn't going to happen. Why the gamestop worker is so much a douche is that he forced his opinion on someone without even considering what the customer would like. He should of asked him if he liked previous Mario games, if he likes platformers, and if he puts gameplay over story. If he answered no to all of those, then you can tell him "you know what.... Glalaxy probably isn't for you".

But to place one great game in someone's hand and then to basically tell him to discard another (calling it ten times worse) without even knowing one single thing about his gaming taste.... that is a grade A douche in my book.

So this has nothing to do with comparing Uncharted and Galaxy. I just hate the thought of someone being verbally forced to put down such a great game like Galaxy when it could of potentially been better suited for him.

At least he did recommend a good game though.

Skiesofwonder said:
I was hoping this wasn't going to happen. Why the gamestop worker is so much a douche is that he forced his opinion on someone without even considering what the customer would like. He should of asked him if he liked Mario games, if he like platformers, and if he put gameplay over story. If he answered no to all of those, then you can tell him "you know what.... Glalaxy probably isn't for you".

But to place one great game on someones hand and to basically tell him to discard another (calling it ten times better) without even knowing one single thing about his gaming taste.... that is a grade A douche in my book.

this has nothing to do with comparing Uncharted and Galaxy. I just hate the thought of someone being verbally forced to but down such a great game like galaxy.

At least he did recommend a good game though.

Usually I have found that people that work in videogame stores either have no clue what they are talking about or are completely closeminded.

I think it's the shopper's fault to let some stranger persuade him what to buy.

The worker here probably falls in the "you look older, Mario is for the younger crowd", some stupid bullshit like that.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
DeathbyVolcano said:
oh god what have you done

Guilty as charged!

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Or talking about Rosalina's complexion or lower back.

Dude, have you entered a Pokémon thread where Dabookerman is a participant?

I'd never thought anyone could think of Misty like that...

gumshoe

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
Could be worse.

We could be pitting games in the same franchise against each other, like with Zelda threads.

I think SMG 1+2 go hand in hand. If you want the full experience you have to play both.

Skiesofwonder

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Usually I have found that people that work in videogame stores either have no clue what they are talking about or are completely closeminded.

I think it's the shopper's fault to let some stranger persuade him what to buy.

The worker here probably falls in the "you look older, Mario is for the younger crowd", some stupid bullshit like that.

Not if you know almost nothing about gaming. When I'm at Home Depot trying to fix whatever, and one of the workers comes up to me and says "yeah... this item will do the job ten times better" then you can bet that I'm usually going to believe him (unless of course I actually took the time before hand to research the subject).

Skiesofwonder said:
Not if you know almost nothing about gaming. When I'm at Home Depot trying to fix whatever, and one of the workers comes up to me and says "yeah... this item will do the job ten times better" then you can bet that I'm usually going to believe him (unless of course I actually took the time before hand to research the subject).

The problem with that analogy is you are comparing entertainment against tools, one is more subjective.

The bigger problem with it all is that a really strong tool convinced a really tasteful shopper to put back the game of the year.

Nothing against Uncharted at all but I think in its genre, it will be eventually toppled while Galaxy 2 seems to set a new benchmark and likely never will be especially with the lack of developers even trying platformers on non-Nintendo systems.

Top Bottom