• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 |OT| with >NEW< hat!

rhino4evr

SnowWolf said:
I just bought subscriptions to both IGN and Gamespot to thank them for giving Galaxy 2 perfect scores and bumping the metacritic average, and I encourage everybody else to do the same! My new favorite gaming sites.

my favorite post so far this year. Congrats.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Kamille

The hype is getting to me. Planned on waiting to get this as I know I won't have time to play it anytime soon, but I just caved in and pre-ordered it from Amazon. I honestly didn't expect it to be as good as people who've played it are saying.

pakkit

Banned
OH SHIT I JUST GAVE THE GAME A 10 OUT OF 10 WITH MY MIND

GOTY HYPE LEVEL CRAZY

but seriously i just wanna play the game

JRW

BowieZ said:
2myakvp.png
:lol

Vizion28

Banned
I feel like a kid again so hyped to get my hands on a new Mario adventure game. I felt the same way when I anticipated Mario 3, Mario World, and Mario 64 and now Galaxy 2 (I was a gamer on and off in my life so I didn't care for Mario Sunshine).

Funny thing is when I played Galaxy in '07 I didn't think it was all that great of a game. I don't know, maybe I a lot of things going on in my life at that time that prevented me from appreciating the game. I gave the game another playthrough 2 months ago and it is by far one of the greatest game I've ever played. It blew my mind.

I've read about people rewatching films such as 2001 Space Odyssey to appreciate it. Sometimes people need to experience a masterpiece a 2nd time to fully "get it".

Lamel

Banned
Vizion28 said:
I feel like a kid again so hyped to get my hands on a new Mario adventure game. I felt the same way when I anticipated Mario 3, Mario World, and Mario 64 and now Galaxy 2 (I was a gamer on and off in my life so I didn't care for Mario Sunshine).

Funny thing is when I played Galaxy in '97 I didn't think it was all that great of a game. I don't know, maybe I a lot of things going on in my life at that time that prevented me from appreciating the game. I gave the game another playthrough 2 months ago and it is by far one of the greatest game I've ever played. It blew my mind.

I've read about people rewatching films such as 2001 Space Odyssey to appreciate it. Sometimes people need to experience a masterpiece a 2nd time to fully "get it".

m-night-shyamalan.jpg

Speevy

Banned
A 10 does two things. First, it solidifies Galaxy 2 as a standard-bearer and reason for everyone to become reacquainted with their Wii consoles if they aren't already.

Second, it gets the "You scored this low because it's a Wii game." crowd off their backs for an entire generation.

I have no doubts that Galaxy 2 deserves the praise it's receiving, but make no mistake, there's absolutely no downside or potential for backlash in these reviews.

Indeed this series is the only one which can consistently dazzle the eyes after playing Uncharted 2, and any motion, tilt, or pointer implementation actually helps these games rather than making them in any way awkward.

They're what a Wii game should be, and although it's a shame to say this, only Nintendo knows or cares how to put all these fantastic elements together on its own console.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Soundtrack is ridiculous thus far on first listen. So glad they followed up on SMG1's efforts.

BowieZ

Banned
Alright, after having listened to a good half of the soundtrack on YouTube... someone really ought to post a separate thread about it. Meh, I'll probably get shit for suggesting that, but wider GAF really ought to hear it and buy a Black Wii because of it.

Speevy

Banned
BowieZ said:
Alright, after having listened to a good half of the soundtrack on YouTube... someone really ought to post a separate thread about it. Meh, I'll probably get shit for suggesting that, but wider GAF really ought to hear it and buy a Black Wii because of it.

Trust me, this is the kind of thing that has you starting your last thread here.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Reading post after post about the game's music, has me (really)looking forward to hearing it for the first time.

SaintZ

This thread made me go back to SMG and get the last 4 stars I was missing with Luigi... so rewarding :D I'm so pumped for this and I'm not gonna be able to get the game right away! UGH >__<

JRW

Vanille said:
Soundtrack is awesome, but so far nothing has matched Buoy Base.

Ya unfortunately SMG1 has more epic tracks than part 2, but rest assured the gameplay / experience of part 2 is still amazing.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I want to complain about the fact that Amazon won't get it to me until Tuesday, until I remember the plight of our European and Australian friends, and I feel bad.

JRW

AceBandage said:
So, it seems this game is pretty decent, huh?

Absolutely, Im also loving the fact its actually a little more difficult than the first game so far, im only midway through world 2.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
seady said:
I think one of the main reason why people carried the perception of this being 'more of the same' is stemmed from the very first reveal trailer they put out at E3 last year.

Unlike other trailers that rely way much on CG or cutscenes over gameplay, SMG2 trailer was all gameplay footage. When people look at the very first trailer of Mass Effect 2 or Halo Reach, they are watching a movie trailer (not a criticism). Had those games first put out first trailer full of gameplay footage, the perception would have been the same like SMG2. Same thing for the other way around.

It shows how important a first sight is to people's perception.

It shows how fucking backwards it is that people focus on cinematics instead of gameplay.

Combine

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
It shows how fucking backwards it is that people focus on cinematics instead of gameplay.
It's mainly that the marketing geniuses haven't yet figured out how to deliver good glimpses of gameplay to the public via 30 second ads.

I actually thought it was "more of the same" until the Gametrailers video review.

I wouldn't score the game a 10 though I have a feeling as I'd dock a few points from the overall score for the unexcusable fact that it ends.

Bentendo

-WindYoshi- said:
I haven't heard this in years but I instantly remembered every nuance... a tragedy that it wasn't used elsewhere. Hopefully Mahito Yakota is given some interesting roles in the future. If not Zelda, something similar.

Oh believe me... this guy is TOTALLY doing Zelda. I mean, he has to be doing it, right? He is definitely the next Koji Kondo, but something that worries me is that since he joined Nintendo, everyone of his games has been a Nintendo EAD Tokyo game (sans Brawl).

JRW

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
I actually thought it was "more of the same" until the Gametrailers video review.

I wouldn't score the game a 10 though I have a feeling as I'd dock a few points from the overall score for the unexcusable fact that it ends.

:lol good call, although 240 stars will keep us busy for awhile at least.

Im certainly going for all of them.

Bentendo said:
Oh believe me... this guy is TOTALLY doing Zelda. I mean, he has to be doing it, right? He is definitely the next Koji Kondo, but something that worries me is that since he joined Nintendo, everyone of his games has been a Nintendo EAD Tokyo game (sans Brawl).

I think, that with the huge critical fawning over the orchestrated music in SMG 1 and 2, we'll see more of this from Nintendo in their big franchises.

Speevy

Banned
Bentendo said:

Well EAD Tokyo seems to skip a year or two (or three) between releases, so I think he's free to compose elsewhere.

Bentendo

AceBandage said:
I think, that with the huge critical fawning over the orchestrated music in SMG 1 and 2, we'll see more of this from Nintendo in their big franchises.

I really think only Mario, Zelda, and Kirby NEED an orchestrated soundtrack. Metroid sounds good with MIDI, but I've always thought that it could use a good piano piece (does that sound weird?). If handhelds ever get the sound quality of their console counterparts, then Pokémon will also need an orchestration for at least a couple of the songs.

I hope the critical praise this game is getting helps Zelda.

I mean, the way things are going, this one is going to be hard to top not that it's a contest or anything but Nintendo when it wants to.....likes to make statements.

Of the three big titles though, I knew this one was the safest bet to be stellar with Zelda close behind and The Other M at the back of the pack.

I wonder how long they will stick with the Galaxy engine and series because it looks like they may have reached the ceiling:lol

Well, Other M IS getting it's own little piano piece.

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
I hope the critical praise this game is getting helps Zelda.

I mean, the way things are going, this one is going to be hard to top not that it's a contest or anything but Nintendo when it wants to.....likes to make statements.

Of the three big titles though, I knew this one was the safest bet to be stellar with Zelda close behind and The Other M at the back of the pack.

I wonder how long they will stick with the Galaxy engine and series because it looks like they may have reached the ceiling:lol

We might see a Galaxy on the 3DS, but I think this is the last console one we'll get.
I really have no idea how they'll top it, but you can never expect anything from Nintendo.

Bentendo

AceBandage said:
Well, Other M IS getting it's own little piano piece.

Are you serious? Like Galaxy I've been doing a media blackout on that so I wouldn't know.

Anyway, I've also got good news. I just went to the Iwata Asks for Super Mario Galaxy and in volume 3 with the sound team Iwata clearly states that he came BACK to Kyoto to talk to the sound team, Mahito included. So I guess him working on EAD Tokyo games is just coincidence (and besides, I forgot he did do Twilight Princess).

Top Bottom