• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Community Thread |OT| Next Super Smash Bros. Discussion

At Launch on the 3DS, Olimar was basically unplayable. His Pikmin would just decide they didn't want to live anymore and wander off a cliff or just refuse to do anything
I don't know if this is still true or not after patches, but if an Olimar spawned on the bottom left platform on Gaur Plain in the 3DS version all three of his Pikmin would fall right down the pit after Olimar plucked them.

The 3DS version was the roughest Smash ever at launch.

I don't know if this is still true or not after patches, but if an Olimar spawned on the bottom left platform on Gaur Plain in the 3DS version all three of his Pikmin would fall right down the pit after Olimar plucked them.

Yep, thanks 3DS version!

I cannot fathom a person making the argument that Olimar was unbalanced with more than three Pikmin. Five could have been a good number just for balance, but instead we got three because 3DS.

He used to feel more like he did in actual Pikmin because, well, he used to have more Pikmin.

I spend more time managing Pikmin with him than I do anything else now. Please change him back in the future :(((

PK Gaming

Yep, thanks 3DS version!

I cannot fathom a person making the argument that Olimar was unbalanced with more than three Pikmin. Five could have been a good number just for balance, but instead we got three because 3DS.

He used to feel more like he did in actual Pikmin because, well, he used to have more Pikmin.

I spend more time managing Pikmin with him than I do anything else now. Please change him back in the future :(((

He was. It wasn't the thing that pushed him over the edge, but it was one of the many aspects of his character that made fighting against him unbearable. More projectiles on hand = less time reloading, and Olimar's projectiles are amazing.

And having to spend more time managing Pikmin is a good thing. It means Olimar players won't be able to get away by with auto piloting and spamming Pikmin throw.

Smash 4 in general was hell of a lot rougher back then than it is today.

Hoo-hah.

Launch Smash 4 was barely better than Brawl as a fighting game. Current Smash 4 is extremely respectable as an unconventional fighting game.

Yea, and Olimar is a good example of just why Ice Climbers would not work at all. Pikmin basically have AI that rivals some items, and yet even then, the 3DS struggled with managing.

There were serious improvements though. Pikmin now work basically as well as they do on the Wii U, and even the Vs CPU AI is more in line with the Wii U, while they were totally brain dead before patches.

Patches were fantastic for Smash 4.

PMS341

Never messed with the character too much since he was so rough in the beginning, but Olimar (specifically Alph) has found his way into my rotation of characters as of late. Great combos, good spacing ability, quick neutrals, etc.

Richie

Apropos of nothing, how do you guys feel about Smash songs that are great on their own right but don't necessarily fit a fighting mood? Like Bramble Blast or Midna's Lament. Would you like more of such songs in the game?

Zebei

Apropos of nothing, how do you guys feel about Smash songs that are great on their own right but don't necessarily fit a fighting mood? Like Bramble Blast or Midna's Lament. Would you like more of such songs in the game?

Bramble Blast is one of, if not the best remix in smash

More of that, less of Enviornmental Noises.

NeonZ

I liked how Brawl used some of those songs for the credit sequences of corresponding characters. Keeping them as fighting music too didn't hurt. I don't get why they returned to a generic credits music here.

Funny how I couldn't feel more differently about those two songs. IMO, Bramble Blast/Stickerbrush Symphony is one of the greatest remixes to grace Smash and I think Naruke did a great job translating it to a chaotic fighting game.

Midna's Lament, meanwhile, is just waaaaaaay too depressing to fight to. I can't think of anything else in Smash that's that somber.

Richie

Bramble Blast is one of, if not the best remix in smash

More of that, less of Environmental Noises.

Funny how I couldn't feel more differently about those two songs. IMO, Bramble Blast/Stickerbrush Symphony is one of the greatest remixes to grace Smash and I think Naruke did a great job translating it to a chaotic fighting game.

Midna's Lament, meanwhile, is just waaaaaaay too depressing to fight to. I can't think of anything else in Smash that's that somber.

I liked how Brawl used some of those songs for the credit sequences of corresponding characters. Keeping them as fighting music too didn't hurt. I don't get why they returned to a generic credits music here.

Definitely agreeing with the quality of Bramble Blast. A friend pointed out that it's quite different from the original, which got me imagining -that- one being in Smash. Much more mellow than Naruke's take. Which got me thinking, what if we had gotten the original as is, would have most been receptive to it? It's one of the most beloved tunes in all of Donkey Kong Country but I wonder if Smashers in overall would have a bone to pick with its more relaxed nature.

Case in point, Midna's Lament. An absolute standout in Twilight Princess' soundtrack but far from what you'd expect in the frenetic ambiance of Smash. I personally don't mind the song being there, why, my brother (enamored with TP) had it as the most favored on MyMusic for a while. At the same time MrSaturn99's got a point.

NeonZ is, too, right recalling that some of the less action-y tunes (first that comes to mind is Snowman for Ness's campaign) felt pretty fitting as credits' themes, and having them at your disposal in normal Brawling was a great "bonus". It didn't happen in Sm4sh, but a story mode a lá SSE is, I think, a good way to present those songs in a more fitting context, while also letting you play them in normal matches.

*shrug* I only care if the music is good. That's why I turned off all the music on Palutena's Temple except for one song.

Definitely agreeing with the quality of Bramble Blast. A friend pointed out that it's quite different from the original, which got me imagining -that- one being in Smash. Much more mellow than Naruke's take. Which got me thinking, what if we had gotten the original as is, would have most been receptive to it? It's one of the most beloved tunes in all of Donkey Kong Country but I wonder if Smashers in overall would have a bone to pick with its more relaxed nature.

Case in point, Midna's Lament. An absolute standout in Twilight Princess' soundtrack but far from what you'd expect in the frenetic ambiance of Smash. I personally don't mind the song being there, why, my brother (enamored with TP) had it as the most favored on MyMusic for a while. At the same time MrSaturn99's got a point.

NeonZ is, too, right recalling that some of the less action-y tunes (first that comes to mind is Snowman for Ness's campaign) felt pretty fitting as credits' themes, and having them at your disposal in normal Brawling was a great "bonus". It didn't happen in Sm4sh, but a story mode a lá SSE is, I think, a good way to present those songs in a more fitting context, while also letting you play them in normal matches.

It is very different, but that's what I love so much about it, although that may be due to that Bramble Blast was never one of my favorite DKC2 themes. Sacrilege, I know, but as far as DKC2 ambience goes, I'm more of a Forest Interlude guy.

On a side note, I'd LOVE to see if they could do something similar with Aquatic Ambiance. The true king of ambient DK themes.

It's funny you mention Snowman since I saw that mentioned once as not fitting fight sequences either, but I find that comes with the territory for the beautifully heartfelt Mother arrangements (Pollyanna, Magicant, Mother 3 Love Theme, etc.). Same goes with several of the Animal Crossing themes. Personally, I like that they try to something different.

*shrug* I only care if the music is good. That's why I turned off all the music on Palutena's Temple except for one song.

You don't like KI:U music?????

Granted, I don't think the remixes are up there with Smash 4's best barring maybe Wrath of the Reset Bomb (actually, I think Destroyed Skyworld was one of the weakest).

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

I turn them off. Well with modding I've just replaced them lol Midna's Lament is a nice song but it's not really that suitable for fighting. Saying that, some relaxed music can work. The Mother arrangements I keep on. It's not necessarily the frantic pace of Smash it has to suit, but the stage.

Though I haven't made it much of a secret that I'm not the biggest fan of the Stickerbush Symphony arrangement.

Kid Icarus's soundtrack selection was near flawless. I was really disappointed that Lightning Battle didn't make it since it was by far my favourite from Uprising and I thought it was a lock to be in the game, but Thunder Cloud Temple is a rearrangement of the same core melody so I can live with it (plus it's a great track too).

Dog's Theme is one of my favourites but it's not really suited for fighting, unless they remixed it heavily. I can't get over how a random dog who appears in such a small portion of the game has such a nice theme.

Weyard is a bit of an odd duck in the listing, but it was still nice to throw a bone to Golden Sun.

Just realized that the Supposed top 5 Smash 4 characters are all Female except Cloud.
Would been a good excuse to have Cross dressing Cloud.

I think that once someone plays Ryu Seriously enough, He'll be the best character. I feel some characters are ignored because it takes to much effort, but I could be wrong

The only bad song on Palutena's Temple is Hades's theme, and that's only because it's like ten seconds long and doesn't properly loop.

There's actually a noticeable amount of songs in SSB4 that don't properly loop, kinda bugs me.

You don't like KI:U music?????

Granted, I don't think the remixes are up there with Smash 4's best barring maybe Wrath of the Reset Bomb (actually, I think Destroyed Skyworld was one of the weakest).
I only use Boss Battle 1. Everything else sucks.
Same.

Pittoo's theme is my fav

I just only want to hear his lol

Sometimes I'll listen to that one, but when I'm trying to play I just stick with BB1

PK Gaming

I finished playing Fire Emblem: Binding Blade (Roy's game) and I came across this during the credits section:

qNBnRpX.png

Melee came out a bit before Binding Blade, which is fascinating to me. Sounds like the Melee staff helped out with FE6's development? Also, Like Corrin for NA/EU, Roy also functioned as an advertisement for his game in Japan. Speaking of Roy, here are his attack animations from FE6:

It is incredibly disappointed how none of this was incorporated into his moveset in Smash Bros! His sheathe adds a ton of style to his moveset, and his ranged attack is awesome. It was understandable in Melee, but with Smash 4 I really wish they changed his neutral B to function like his ranged attack from his source game (rather than have it be his final smash)

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
The only bad song on Palutena's Temple is Hades's theme, and that's only because it's like ten seconds long and doesn't properly loop.

There's actually a noticeable amount of songs in SSB4 that don't properly loop, kinda bugs me.

Like Cloudtop Cruise - Smash Remix? That song is so epic. If only it didn't loop.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I finished playing Fire Emblem: Binding Blade (Roy's game) and I came across this during the credits section:

qNBnRpX.png

Melee came out a bit before Binding Blade, which is fascinating to me. Sounds like the Melee staff helped out with FE6's development? Also, Like Corrin for NA/EU, Roy also functioned as an advertisement for his game in Japan. Speaking of Roy, here are his attack animations from FE6:

It is incredibly disappointed how none of this was incorporated into his moveset in Smash Bros! His sheathe adds a ton of style to his moveset, and his ranged attack is awesome. It was understandable in Melee, but with Smash 4 I really wish they changed his neutral B to function like his ranged attack from his source game (rather than have it be his final smash)

I thought the thanks in the credits was because putting Roy (and Marth) in Melee is what got Fire Emblem localized in the states.

FSLink

Banned
I thought the thanks in the credits was because putting Roy (and Marth) in Melee is what got Fire Emblem localized in the states.

Melee came out before FE6, so that wouldn't make sense unless it was a thanks from the fan translators and they added that in or something.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Isn't the first half of the song just both the normal and inside the thundercloud versions of the song playing at the same time? It sounds a bit lazily done at times.

They are blended together, yes. The blend is what I like about it. That and that it is my favorite MK8 stage.

I only use Boss Battle 1. Everything else sucks.

nooooooooooooooooo

qNBnRpX.png

Melee came out a bit before Binding Blade, which is fascinating to me. Sounds like the Melee staff helped out with FE6's development?

They're in the Special Thanks section, apparently, so I'm assuming they're just thanking the team for putting Roy in the game. (Especially since he ended up appearing in Melee before Binding Blade came out)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Elbow your opponent in the face and when they're howling in pain throw their fighter off the stage.

Any tips vs Ryu? last tournament I was in last month I got bodied by a Ryu....I have absolutely 0 experience fighting him. I felt embarrassed at how I could not handle his elbow poke (Utilt I think?) trap. Bleh.

At least I made it second place in Doubles.

Ryu secondary here. What are you having trouble with specifically?

Ryu secondary here. What are you having trouble with specifically?

I just remember him having me on serious Lock down, haven't had that happened to me since the first few months with Smash 4.

Im starting to think I should trying picking zoning characters vs him, did not get a chance to try out Robin vs the guys Ryu.

What are his weaknesses?

This got brought up on my Facebook. Warning: some really grim news ahead.

An active and well-known Smash player named Christina Grimmie died last night after being shot at a concert she was holding. The shooter then shot himself at the scene.

Man, I can't imagine. She's even younger than me. =(

This got brought up on my Facebook. Warning: some really grim news ahead.

An active and well-known Smash player named Christina Grimmie died last night after being shot at a concert she was holding. The shooter then shot himself at the scene.

Man, I can't imagine. She's even younger than me. =(

Wait she was a smash player!? Wow.....not that it matters (she did more stuff then just smash is what I meant), RIP, amazing voice.

I just remember him having me on serious Lock down, haven't had that happened to me since the first few months with Smash 4.

Im starting to think I should trying picking zoning characters vs him, did not get a chance to try out Robin vs the guys Ryu.

What are his weaknesses?

Ryu has a very predictable recovery, so take advantage of that. Zoning is alright against him but unless you're Villager it's not going to be the solution.

Top Bottom