• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Community Thread |OT| Next Super Smash Bros. Discussion

Ryce

Erdrick is the star of Japan’s most popular Dragon Quest game (III), and the first three games in the series are referred to as the Erdrick Trilogy. I believe he’s referenced in some of the newer DQ games, too. He’s kind of like the Marth of the Dragon Quest series.

The problem is that nobody outside of Japan knows much about Dragon Quest, and global recognition seems to be a priority regarding guest characters.

Chase17

I would love to see the dragon quest 5 hero in smash. You could have part of his move set incorporate some of the monsters like slimed and saber as a nod to the monster catching/training mechanic in the game. Also maybe for the final smash he can call in his kids or something. Really any DQ representation would be amazing though.

Was surprised to see that Apex was last week. Remember that being one of the biggest tournaments a few years ago and now it passed and I practically missed it.

Ryce

Globally, Slime is much more recognizable than that dude from the first few games
Nobody from Dragon Quest is mainstream enough outside of Japan to be included on recognition alone (anecdotally, none of my gaming friends know what a Slime is), so in the unlikely event that Smash Bros. gets a Dragon Quest character, I think a main character is far more probable than a generic enemy. Every series in Smash Bros. with a viable protagonist has had that character included first. Slimes are only important in a few spin-off games; in the main series they're the DQ equivalent of a Goomba. They make far more sense as an assist trophy, Smash Run enemy, and/or Mii hat than a playable character.

Nobody from Dragon Quest is mainstream enough outside of Japan to be included on recognition alone (anecdotally, none of my gaming friends know what a Slime is), so in the unlikely event that Smash Bros. gets a Dragon Quest character, I think a main character is far more probable than a generic enemy. Every series in Smash Bros. with a viable protagonist has had that character included first. Slimes are only important in a few spin-off games; in the main series they're the DQ equivalent of a Goomba. They make far more sense as an assist trophy, Smash Run enemy, and/or Mii hat than a playable character.

It would be comparable to Goomba if Goomba had multiple spin offs and was the mascot of the entire series.

Ryce

Yeah, I see slime as much closer to being like Pikachu. Even if it's not nearly as popular outside of Japan.
Pikachu is a playable character in the very first Pokémon game, and it's not like Pokémon Trainer would have been feasible on N64.

PK Gaming

It'd sure be nice if the Persona 5 Protagonist was playable in the next Smash game

2750229-p5_dps-scan_02-11-15_top.jpg

Smash needs an Atlus rep, and I think he'd fit right in with the rest of the human like characters

Tons of moveset potential too

Chase17

Pikachu is a playable character in the very first Pokémon game, and it's not like Pokémon Trainer would have been feasible on N64.
I'm just talking about how they represent their respective series. They each have become prominent monsters and mascots for their series, although they can only appear as a common enemy (or an optional part member),
and they each have gotten their own spin offs.

I'd agree that if there is a DQ rep in smash it probably wouldn't just be a slime.

Edit: thinking about it I'd be down for playable knight slime lol

It'd sure be nice if the Persona 5 Protagonist was playable in the next Smash game

Smash needs an Atlus rep, and I think he'd fit right in with the rest of the human like characters

Tons of moveset potential too

Who is the most popular SMT protagonist out there, exactly? For some reason I tend to think of the Demi-fiend from the third game when I think of SMT.

PK Gaming

Who is the most popular SMT protagonist out there, exactly? For some reason I tend to think of the Demi-fiend from the third game when I think of SMT.

Definitely Demi-fiend, but if we're taking megaten as a whole then he's long since been surpassed by the Persona 4 protagonist.

Bulbasaur

Banned
My wii U is in storage and I got the smash itch so I gave it a play on 3Ds for the first time in forever. I was impressed by how smooth 1v1 For Glory is, I worry about my circle pad though haha

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
As in, something that even us non-DQ players recognize?
I think of slimes before any human.
Alternatively, if I saw a jrpg kid that didn't look like Crono but was in the same art style, I'd assume it came from DQ

Yeah, non-DQ players. I haven't really play Dragon Quest much as I would like to so I'm curious about members' opinions here.

It's interesting to see several different opinions here, and I wonder what is most common requests for Dragon Quest franchise during Smash Ballot?

My wii U is in storage and I got the smash itch so I gave it a play on 3Ds for the first time in forever. I was impressed by how smooth 1v1 For Glory is, I worry about my circle pad though haha

That's one of few issues I had with Smash. During battles, I always worried that I might break circle pad. I do still play Smash 3DS once in awhile because of their stage library.

I'd love to see Yu in Smash but...

http://orig02.deviantart.net/7537/f/2016/050/5/4/robin_vs_yu_narukami_by_dynamo1212-d9sd3yc.png[/mg]

Wouldn't he overlap?!

All kidding aside, I think P5MC's inclusion would generate more hype (not only for Smash but Persona 5 when it comes out too). I'd be fine with either character though.[/QUOTE]

Awakening wasn't fun though. Persona 4 is also the greatest game I have ever played.

People are saying Demi-Fiend but he's not as iconic as the cyberpunk protags of SMT 1 and 2. Those games had a shit ton of ports versus Nocturne's lone version. Nocturne is only looked as fondly as it is because it was everyone's first SMT game outside of Japan.

Jack Frost tho.

kirby_fox

Banned

Mine I had to glue back on. I'm also certain that my L button is messed up because of smash

that 4koma is cute

also if we're talking SMT reps I think Jack Frost or Aleph are the most likely suspects, followed by perhaps Demi-Fiend or Flynn. Basically, a protagonist from a mainline SMT game. Demon summoning needs to be involved somehow.

If we're talking Atlus in general, I think it should be someone who is synonymous with Atlus at this point. Of course, I can only think of one character who fits the bill.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It's pretty amazing. On serious note: which character would make sense to rep for Dragon Quest franchise? If we follow the example with Cloud being playable and repping Final Fantasy franchise.

Well my support is for Jessica, but as a personal wish rather than arguing for the most appropriate. DQ8 was actually the first DQ game for Europe so is global recognition is a factor it's probably important to consider that, though thanks to ports in recent years Europe has been exposed to the older titles as well now. Also she has appeared in DQ spinoffs, including a Nintendo crossover so she clearly has some popularity. That and her primary weapon is a whip so she wouldn't be another sword fighter.

However, since the monsters are often the staples of DQ, one could make an argument for Slime Knight. Not only does it incorporate the iconic Slime but Slime Knight has even been a party member in past DQ games.

So with Super Mario 64 being 20 years old now, it's pretty cool to look back and see how quite a bit of Mario's moveset in Smash Bros seems to draw from it.

Jab Combo:

Mario_PPK.gif

Mario_AAA_Combo_SSBM.gif

Down Smash:

latest

Mario_Down_Smash_SSBM.gif

Dash Attack:

latest

MarioDashAttackSSBM.gif

Back Throw:

oyXvofx.gif

200px-Weight_Comparison_1_Brawl.gif

Every game in the Smash Bros series has had a stage based on Super Mario 64 in it. Peach's Castle in 64 and both versions of 4, both main Mario series stages in Melee, and Rainbow Cruise in Brawl.

The only other games to hold that distinction are Kirby's Dreamland (DL64 in four of the games, and Brawl having Green Greens) and Donkey Kong Country (Jungle Japes is in 3/5 of the games, while Kongo Jungle is in the other two).

Star Fox 64, Super Mario Bros and Super Metroid were close, but Smash 4 Wii U messes up all three of those.

Earthbound is close too. Just missing a stage in 64.

And Smash 4 3DS, although I guess Magicant could be for both games, but it's pretty distinctly designed to be from Beginnings.

Depending on where you view the origins of Zebes 64 and Brinstar Depths to be (either Super or Metroid, although I consider them Super stages, but it's not clear. Both are kind of generic and could apply to either game), then Metroid would also just be missing Smash 4 3DS.

Chase17

And Smash 4 3DS, although I guess Magicant could be for both games, but it's pretty distinctly designed to be from Beginnings.

Depending on where you view the origins of Zebes 64 and Brinstar Depths to be (either Super or Metroid, although I consider them Super stages, but it's not clear. Both are kind of generic and could apply to either game), then Metroid would also just be missing Smash 4 3DS.
Ah, I suppose Magicant is a bit of a stretch to count for earthbound.

Was earthbound the only series with a playable character to get no stage in 64? Edit: F-Zero as well

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Well my support is for Jessica, but as a personal wish rather than arguing for the most appropriate. DQ8 was actually the first DQ game for Europe so is global recognition is a factor it's probably important to consider that, though thanks to ports in recent years Europe has been exposed to the older titles as well now. Also she has appeared in DQ spinoffs, including a Nintendo crossover so she clearly has some popularity. That and her primary weapon is a whip so she wouldn't be another sword fighter.

However, since the monsters are often the staples of DQ, one could make an argument for Slime Knight. Not only does it incorporate the iconic Slime but Slime Knight has even been a party member in past DQ games.

I was surprised that it took awhile for someone to mention Jessica (which is you) because I felt that she is one of most popular character in the franchise because she was basically everywhere in the past but I'm not sure if it has changed. I remember that she and slime was first two characters being front on the cover with Mario and Yoshi for Fortune Street, and she was quite popular character in Dragon Quest 8, along with Yamcha which is obvious why she got in Dragon Quest Heroes.

Why does Sakurai think people want Green Greens all the time

it's not even that good

Fountain of dreams pls

I know some people liking the stage because it had random aspect in the game which would change the battle in their favors. Also the stage is pretty fun when you want to play with friends or in the party. (FFA, mind you)

I was surprised that it took awhile for someone to mention Jessica (which is you) because I felt that she is one of most popular character in the franchise because she was basically everywhere in the past but I'm not sure if it has changed. I remember that she and slime was first two characters being front on the cover with Mario and Yoshi for Fortune Street, and she was quite popular character in Dragon Quest 8, along with Yamcha which is obvious why she got in Dragon Quest Heroes.

I know some people liking the stage because it had random aspect in the game which would change the battle in their favors. Also the stage is pretty fun when you want to play with friends or in the party. (FFA, mind you)

Yeah I've brought it up before (hey I totally called the Geno Mii Gunner costume!).

It's funny how I thought Jessica might be considered too lewd for Smash, and then we get Bayonetta.

Also, it's Yangus, not Yamcha lol

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Wait, why are we talking about an Atlus rep again? Something happen?

Oh that's just me being very curious with the choice of Dragon Quest character if Sakurai decided to include Dragon Quest in Smash Bros. Since Cloud being in the game really change discussion landscape in many way because we can't longer focus on Nintendo only, first protagonist of the game or most recurring mascots (Chocobo or Moogle) anymore.

Yeah I've brought it up before (hey I totally called the Geno Mii Gunner costume!).

It's funny how I thought Jessica might be considered too lewd for Smash, and then we get Bayonetta.

Also, it's Yangus, not Yamcha lol

Haha, my bad. I don't know why I said Yamcha. :lol: That's awesome that you called for Geno Mii Costume.

Yeah, I think they probably adjust the costume for Jessica, just like Dragon Quest Heroes team did.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Dragon Quest 8 does have the lowest age rating in Japan. In fact the 3DS version adjusted her magic bikini outfit in order to keep that rating, but her standard attire was left intact.

NeonZ

Why does Sakurai think people want Green Greens all the time

it's not even that good

Fountain of dreams pls

I think it was kept in Brawl over Fountain of Dreams because it was the best representation of Kirby's generic ground areas. SSB4 had the Gameboy stage though and it seems like they had planned to add Dream Land 64 too, so it wasn't needed there.

I think it was kept around for Brawl because FoD had that mirror effect that I'm going to assume was tricky to get working to port it forward.

While not sure if it was porting, performance, or anything else, the mirror effect sounds like a sensible culprit. I remember seeing it for the first time (keep in mind I was playing Brawl for a year by then) and being in awe for this working as it did for a second.

I always figured Sakurai included Green Greens and Yoshi's Island over FoD and Yoshi's Story because the former stages had more unique layouts while the latter two share similar designs to Battlefield and thus he figured that'd they be redundant to bring back or something.

While not sure if it was porting, performance, or anything else, the mirror effect sounds like a sensible culprit. I remember seeing it for the first time (keep in mind I was playing Brawl for a year by then) and being in awe for this working as it did for a second.

It actually did cause performance hits with 4 players in Melee, especially characters like Ice Climbers.

In Brawl, the reflections would have been higher quality reflecting higher quality models and I'm not sure the Wii would have been able to run that smoothly.

I actually like what Project M did, by making it just sparkly water. That's how it is in Nightmare in Dreamland, so it's not like it's something new, and the mirror water hasn't really aged that great if you go back and play Melee. But Sakurai wouldn't do something like that.

Top Bottom