• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Community Thread |OT| Next Super Smash Bros. Discussion

I miss both Melee Kirby stages; they were two of my favorites from that game.

At the very least, I'd much rather have Green Greens over Dream Land.

PK Gaming

That was a great video

Point #3 is by far the most important consideration for me when deciding to main a character. Playstyle and viability are important, but I always use characters I like.

N64 main
Ness: Cool psychic kid with a unique moveset.

Melee
Roy: Ness got fat. Cool fire sword kid with a sword.

Brawl
Pit: Roy got cut. Cool bow & arrow / dagger fighting style.

Smash 4
Robin & Corrin: At this point it should be obvious that i'm Fire Emblem trash now. Robin's sword & book fighting style is matched only by Corrin's stretchy limbs and sword-combo oriented fighting style.

I play characters I like. My most played characters in Smash 4 are Mewtwo, Ganondorf, Roy, Doc and Toon Link (in that order). They have absolutely nothing in common, gameplay wise.

I always have a hard time saying I "main" a character because I generally play whoever I feel like playing. If I get a thought in my head or see something during the day, I might play that character. For example, last night I did a bunch of rounds as Mario because of Mario 64's anniversary being on my mind, even if I don't usually play Mario (I prefer Doc).

Neoxon

So ESPN released an article for the 2016 Top 10 eSports Draft. Melee got 6th, while Smash 4 got 9th. The author cited the Smash games lagging behind Street Fighter V competitively as a result of Nintendo not actively supporting the Smash scene like Capcom is for Street Fighter V. This is more so for Smash 4 since, according to the author, it doesn't have the history that Melee does (& it being sidelined at EVO this year).

NeonZ

It actually did cause performance hits with 4 players in Melee, especially characters like Ice Climbers.

In Brawl, the reflections would have been higher quality reflecting higher quality models and I'm not sure the Wii would have been able to run that smoothly.

I actually like what Project M did, by making it just sparkly water. That's how it is in Nightmare in Dreamland, so it's not like it's something new, and the mirror water hasn't really aged that great if you go back and play Melee. But Sakurai wouldn't do something like that.

The mirror water wouldn't be that different from the screen in Pokemon Stadium though. The content from Melee kept in Brawl was ported directly from Melee and modified, rather than recreated, so I don't think it'd be due to technical difficulties.

Zero lost to a Palutena lmao

Edit: Ally just lost to some random Corrin

Edit 2: Abadango is tied with some random Palutena... never mind he just won

What even is this tournament

Zero seemed so off his game though, and I say this as a guy that dislikes Zero.... glad to see that these wins will shake up the character usage now in competitive play though!

Palutena Main <3

RedSwirl

Still worth paying $60 for the Wii U game at this point? Plus another $20 on a (probably used) Gamecube controller adapter? Plus like another $50 for the all-in-one collection and the stage bundle DLC for 3DS and Wii U?

To be honest I haven't had enough time to play Smash since I got the 3DS version at launch, but I'm having company for the next couple weeks that'll probably want to play it. I'm sure in the next 12 months (before the NX version drops, man I hope there's some kind of discount) I could probably find the time to get $100 of value out of it. I think.

Still worth paying $60 for the Wii U game at this point? Plus another $20 on a (probably used) Gamecube controller adapter? Plus like another $50 for the all-in-one collection and the stage bundle DLC for 3DS and Wii U?

To be honest I haven't had enough time to play Smash since I got the 3DS version at launch, but I'm having company for the next couple weeks that'll probably want to play it. I'm sure in the next 12 months (before the NX version drops, man I hope there's some kind of discount) I could probably find the time to get $100 of value out of it. I think.

It's worth as much as you think it'd be. The DLC includes 7 characters and 8 stages IIRC, so you're getting a pretty good value if you want to live the dream of Mario and Sonic fighting Ryu and Cloud on the pirate ship from Wind Waker. Plus most of those stages should be compatible with 8-player smash which tends to go over well at gatherings from what I can say.

Ultimately it depends on whether you think not only you can get value out of it, but your company can too.

Eggman would totally be a shoo-in if third-parties ever got multiple characters. I hear people suggest Tails a lot, and SSB's MO seems to be prioritizing sidekicks/secondary protagonists over villains (see: Luigi, Falco, Diddy being added before Bowser, Wolf, and Walrus Guy From Tropical Freeze), but I feel like Eggman would be a great choice just because of how much crazy stuff he could do. Plus he's funny.

Eggman would totally be a shoo-in if third-parties ever got multiple characters. I hear people suggest Tails a lot, and SSB's MO seems to be prioritizing sidekicks/secondary protagonists over villains (see: Luigi, Falco, Diddy being added before Bowser, Wolf, and Walrus Guy From Tropical Freeze), but I feel like Eggman would be a great choice just because of how much crazy stuff he could do. Plus he's funny.

If Tails were to not be picked, I would totally be okay with Eggman!

PtM

Banned

You're good without the DLC.
K. Rool, you heathen!
I don't care.

Boney

Banned
Palutena's bair eats Diddy's fair and spits on him. It's beatiful and had no freaking clue that dash attack was such a good kill move. Palu can actually go through diddy's wall.

Her only real problem is her ground moves except for jab 1 and up smash. Running grab end lag on whiff is atrocious.

I guess people and myself included haven't been paying attention to the myriad of small buffs she's gotten over the year.

Sad to hear Jade got eliminated but lez go Prince Ramen!

PK Gaming

Re: Smash at CEO

Man, what a healthy metagame

Upsets and good play. The gap between players is super tight. Contrast that with last year's CEO when the only thing I remembered is Dabuz kill his opponent at super low % with uair.

Nice Megaman and Robin wins at CEO. I'm guessing with so many characters in Smash 4, people are gonna have trouble with certain matchups. Too many to learn

Ferulci

Re: Smash at CEO

Man, what a healthy metagame

Upsets and good play. The gap between players is super tight. Contrast that with last year's CEO when the only thing I remembered is Dabuz kill his opponent at super low % with uair.

I feel the same, the metagame really seems balanced and healthy To see Palutena, Megaman, some Wario yesterday and my ma(i)n Robin doing so good is wonderful.

Mr Swine

Banned
Eggman answered on why he isn't in Smash Bros
https://mobile.twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/746464552838008833?lang=en

He's simply too powerful, he'd be impossible to unlock

Palutena's bair eats Diddy's fair and spits on him. It's beatiful and had no freaking clue that dash attack was such a good kill move. Palu can actually go through diddy's wall.

Her only real problem is her ground moves except for jab 1 and up smash. Running grab end lag on whiff is atrocious.

I guess people and myself included haven't been paying attention to the myriad of small buffs she's gotten over the year.

Sad to hear Jade got eliminated but lez go Prince Ramen!

Bleh, people need to stop wanting Knuckles and Tails in Smash, we need more villains like Eggman :(

Zebei

Now we have a Robin (Dath) taking a set off of Mr R's Sheik

This tourny is great man.

EDIT Commentator's curse extends to spectators apparently

EDIT2 Nairo got eliminated so early. Damnnnnnnn

RedSwirl

Shit, Smash Wii U has Event Battle?!

Just looking at this board is giving me PTSD flashbacks of Melee.

Oddly though I don't remember Brawl having Event Battle. I don't know if I played some and forgot about it or never actually noticed it.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Shit, Smash Wii U has Event Battle?!

Just looking at this board is giving me PTSD flashbacks of Melee.

Oddly though I don't remember Brawl having Event Battle. I don't know if I played some and forgot about it or never actually noticed it.

Yeah, Brawl have it. Smash 64 is only Smash that didn't have Event match mode so far.

Top Bottom