• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Community Thread |OT| Next Super Smash Bros. Discussion

Chase17

The streamer mentioned that it was he first time at a big tournament that Smash 4 had more views than melee.

Of course melee being on Saturday night and many people waiting for SFV (tournament was running late) may have effected that.

Either way 60k viewers for CEO is pretty good!

Smash 4 has certainly gotten more exciting.

Props to the patches, development team.

Also players learning and been better.

Can't wait to see what Evo's got in store for us. I actually like that fact they're so many characters that players use, nothing more hype then pulling out a pocket character

KingBroly

Banned
Smash 4 has certainly gotten more exciting.

Props to the patches, development team.

Also players learning and been better.

Can't wait to see what Evo's got in store for us. I actually like that fact they're so many characters that players use, nothing more hype then pulling out a pocket character

I'd definitely say it's the most balanced Smash game. There's like 8-10 viable characters right now with 15-20 counter-pick characters.

Man, I don't care that he used Cloud, that was all ANTi. It's insane that he could be that good with so many characters. I'm glad the guy that was the most into the hype, with the crazy stage entrance and pop off, was the guy to win CEO. This was an incredible tournament. S/O to Zinoto though for managing to beat DaBuzz and so many other good players, and resetting the bracket at GFs. Dude put in the work.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
That ZSS nerf really killed nairo's game, I kinda feel bad cause its almost like sakurai went out to specifically get him lol

PK Gaming

Yeah Smash 4 is infinitely more fun to watch now

For ya'll who thought patches were pointless, this is the result

Also Anti used like 6 characters, haha. Props to him for winning

Zebei

He was so hyped he had half a mind to just dive over the top ripe. Gotta love the excitement.

Missed a bit of finals for family stuff but this has been the best tournament i've seen and i've been loving all the character diversity instead of bayo/cloud/sheik only.

Now we just need Palutena to rise beyond Zero slayer to become Tourny slayer

random25

CEO was just one hell of a crazy train ride with all the ridiculous upsets. So hype! And congrats to ANTi. Barring tournament results, he is probably the best Smash 4 pro player right now with the variety of characters he play on tournaments.

Neiteio

Man, I don't care that he used Cloud, that was all ANTi. It's insane that he could be that good with so many characters. I'm glad the guy that was the most into the hype, with the crazy stage entrance and pop off, was the guy to win CEO. This was an incredible tournament. S/O to Zinoto though for managing to beat DaBuzz and so many other good players, and resetting the bracket at GFs. Dude put in the work.
Is there a video to the full match where Anti's Cloud beats Diddy?

Well well well, it looks like model importing is now possible in Smash 4's modding scene.

https://twitter.com/smb123w64gb/status/747296573055348736

Cl7uMagVAAUM_Wv.jpg

Yeah yeah it's from Undertale, but it's still pretty cool nonetheless that someone got this to happen.

PtM

Banned
I got my hands full with the initial game anyhow, couldn't care less about modding. Then again, haven't created a single stage either.

Boney

Banned
I still don't understand why Limit is both chargeable and gives the extra mobility. At the very least one or the other!

That ZSS nerf really killed nairo's game, I kinda feel bad cause its almost like sakurai went out to specifically get him lol
Should have never gone to Japan.

Still ZSS still has fantastic punishes, amazing frame data and mobility, some relatively save kill options (up tilt wtf) and insane recovery. Elevetah was dumb dumb

I was there when Abadango went Pac-man. Literally everyone in the room was cheering for him when that happened, and even harder when he took a game off of Zinoto with him.

By the way, Cloud may be the only real Diddy counter in this game. Glad there's at least one character to keep that darn chimpanzee in check.

Fandangox

I was there when Abadango went Pac-man. Literally everyone in the room was cheering for him when that happened, and even harder when he took a game off of Zinoto with him

Yeah that was the best part of the top 8. That match was so good that I didn't even realize it was about to time out.

Richie

Last night I was enjoying the songs in the game. Then I wondered just how many songs hadn't made the cut from Melee/Brawl. Turns out a Reddit user had already compiled them all in a great post! Gonna copy and paste their list in here; click on the link if you want to hear the songs themselves:

BRAWL

•Main Theme
•Opening (Super Smash Bros. Melee)
•Ground Theme 2 (Super Mario Bros.)
•Gritzy Desert
•DK Jungle 1 Theme (Barrel Blast)
•The Map Page / Bonus Level
•The Great Sea
•Molgera Battle
•Opening / Menu (Metroid Prime)
•Yoshi's Island
•Forest / Nature Area
•Checker Knights
•Wild Pokémon Battle! (Diamond / Pearl)
•Mona's Pizza
•Mona's Pizza (Japanese)
•Mike's Song
•Mike's Song (Japanese)
•Ai no Uta
•Ai no Uta (French)
•Tane no Uta
•Humoresque of a Little Dog
•You Call This a Utopia?!
•All Metal Gear Solid songs (hi Jawmuncher)
•Scrap Brain Zone
•Emerald Hill Zone
•Sonic Boom
•Super Sonic Racing
•Famicom Medley (Brawl version)
•Power-Up Music (still plays when Golden Hammer is picked up, not a stage song choice anymore)
•Douchuumen (Nazo no Murasamejo)
•Mii Channel
•Wii Shop Channel
•Charge! (Wii Play)
•Shaberu! DS Cooking Navi
•Balloon Trip
•Results Display Screen
•Tournament Registration
•Tournament Grid
•Tournament Match End
•Classic: Results Screen
•All-Star Rest Area
•Sticker Album / Album / Chronicle
•Coin Launcher
•Stage Builder
•Target Smash!!
•Adventure Map
•Step: The Plain
•Step: The Cave
•Step: Subspace
•Step: Subspace Ver. 2
•Step: Subspace Ver. 3
•Save Point
•Credits

MELEE

•Opening
•Battlefield
•Jungle Japes
•Fourside
•Mushroom Kingdom
•Mushroom Kingdom Finale
•Mushroom Kingdom II Finale
•Saria's Song
•Balloon Fight
•Break the Targets
•Multi-Man Melee 1
•All- Star Rest Area
•Tournament 1
•Tournament 2

Missing quite a few songs, aren't we? I wonder the rationale behind omitting perfectly good remixes that aren't really gonna be used anywhere else...Oh well. I hope they find a way to sneak as many of these back in future games as possible.

Last night I was enjoying the songs in the game. Then I wondered just how many songs hadn't made the cut from Melee/Brawl. Turns out a Reddit user had already compiled them all in a great post! Gonna copy and paste their list in here; click on the link if you want to hear the songs themselves:

BRAWL

•Main Theme
•Gritzy Desert
•The Map Page / Bonus Level
•The Great Sea
•Molgera Battle
•Opening / Menu (Metroid Prime)
•Yoshi's Island
•Checker Knights
•Wild Pokémon Battle! (Diamond / Pearl)
•Mona's Pizza
•Mike's Song
•Ai no Uta
•Tane no Uta
•Humoresque of a Little Dog
•You Call This a Utopia?!
•All Metal Gear Solid songs (hi Jawmuncher)
•Scrap Brain Zone
•Emerald Hill Zone
•Sonic Boom
•Super Sonic Racing
•Famicom Medley (Brawl version)
•Douchuumen (Nazo no Murasamejo)
•Mii Channel
•Wii Shop Channel
•Shaberu! DS Cooking Navi
•Balloon Trip
•Sticker Album / Album / Chronicle
•Step: The Plain

MELEE

•Jungle Japes
•Fourside
•Break the Targets
•Multi-Man Melee 1

Edited your post to reflect what songs I would've liked to see return. Still surprised Humoresque of a Little Dog didn't come back for Onett; would've fit like a glove.

That reminds me: did the SmashExplorer mod get any more beginner friendly or...?

Last night I was enjoying the songs in the game. Then I wondered just how many songs hadn't made the cut from Melee/Brawl. Turns out a Reddit user had already compiled them all in a great post! Gonna copy and paste their list in here; click on the link if you want to hear the songs themselves.

Gives us a billion mixes of DK Island Swing, brings back the jungle japes stage but not the melee theme which is the best version of it in Smash, instead we get Kongo Jungle 64.
I DON'T UNDERSTAND!

Really don't get why Wario Ware and some Mother/Earthbound tracks didn't just make the jump either.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Shaberu! DS Oryouri Navi is one of the best pieces and it is sacrilegious it didn't get included - especially as after Brawl the series did come out in the West (though I believe it was the sequel that got localised). Thank you Smash modding.

Ai no Uta French version will not be missed (unlike 75% of the song).

•Molgera Battle
•Checker Knights

These two make literally no sense being cut. With some of the songs, there was a new remix or something. Or it was already a remix and maybe there was licensing issues or whatever.

But these two are direct game rips with no replacement in Smash 4. One is Nintendo first party, the other is HAL. There should be absolutely no licensing issues. They were just outright cut. It hurts even worse because both of these songs' "home stages" returned for Smash 4 (Pirate Ship and Halberd)...

These two make literally no sense being cut. With some of the songs, there was a new remix or something. Or it was already a remix and maybe there was licensing issues or whatever.

But these two are direct game rips with no replacement in Smash 4. One is Nintendo first party, the other is HAL. There should be absolutely no licensing issues. They were just outright cut. It hurts even worse because both of these songs' "home stages" returned for Smash 4 (Pirate Ship and Halberd)...

Checker Knights actually does have an excuse: it was one of the Kirby Air Ride songs lifted from the Kirby anime, and Brawl's sound test credits the composition copyright to the show's composer, Akira Miyagawa. My guess is that they had enough Kirby songs to the extent they didn't want to spend time going through any red tape.

No Molgera is a shame, though.

Checker Knights deserved an orchestrated remix, like Legendary Air Ride Machine

Well... is that even orchestrated? Hard to tell, although it seems like it is. That would make it one of the only Brawl songs that was an actual orchestra, which makes me thing it isn't actually orchestrated and just really nice midi instruments.

Checker Knights > Frozen Hillside

I distinctly recall the Japanese OST having an orchestral direction for several songs, so it's possible.

Kirby Air Ride's soundtrack in general is just fantastic. Celestial Valley and Frozen Hillside work wonders on TGCO. The City Trial theme would've worked great, too.

My thinking that it's orchestrated is because it has a certain "warm" feeling to it that you'd get if it was a live band. And it always stood out a bit in Brawl's soundtrack. Especially when you had this garbage three stages over.

Eight years later and I'm still wondering what the thought process behind that arrangement was.

"Great job on that Area 6 arrangement, Wakai-san! Now, uh, could you remix the same song again except make it completely shitty and not fit the stage at all? Also, we need it in like twenty minutes, thanks!"

Honestly, it's even more confusing than Smash 4's fascination with DK Island Swing to me lmao. Probably the only Smash arrangement I'd call flat-out bad.

Richie

So to the folks that wanted Magicant to be in the Wii U version...lookie here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjku_e7LHUo

Still a WIP in obviously, but it's still pretty cool anyway.

The community is a treat to behold, seriously. Here's hoping we're playing Magicant in Smash NX in the big screen...

Well fellow Smashers, off the Internet for a whole month. I'll request a timed ban for it. Ye all keep boarding that hype train, folks! Catch ya in August.

Top Bottom