• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Community Thread |OT| Next Super Smash Bros. Discussion

Sonic's mouth is better than Ganondorf's weird... puppet mouth thing. Even his teeth are wrong.

mKWusXI.png

Ganondorf in TP has very pronounced canines. I assume to emphasis his beast form. In Smash 4, all his teeth are the same size and shape and aren't even human, let alone beast like.

I'm not sure how they managed to mess him up so bad after he looked perfect in Brawl.

Some how, the game on a glorified GameCube managed to give Ganondorf more personality and definition in his face
hoy1mqU.png
screen-1.jpg

Also his costume colors are all de-satured and not as nice. And the scar is stupid.

I wonder what characters will look like if someone imported the Brawl textures and replaced the Smash 4 verisons. Most of the textures for veterans in Smash 4 are simplified versions of the Brawl incarnations, so someone like Ganondorf might look better with the darker pre-baked shading from Brawl back on his face?
Brawl Dedede's Textures
SSB4WiiU_DEDEDE_early.png

Smash Wii U Dedede's Textures
SSB4WiiU_DEDEDE_final.png

I refuse to believe that post about Ganon's fucking TEETH is serious. Like, holy shit.

It's part of a character's design. Ganondorf's teeth don't even look human in Smash Bros, let alone what they actually look like. And maybe a cartoon grin works for someone like Mario, but not for Ganondorf. He just ends up looking dopey. Besides, it was a reply to a complain on Sonic's mouth. So we're already complaining about character's mouths.

Subtle design elements add to the character. Pronounced canines make someone look more beast like and savage, which is part of Ganondorf's personality, especially in Twilight Princess.

It's something I'm picky on, and part of the reason I hate Ganondorf's design in Hyrule Warriors. It's missing subtle design elements consistent with Ganondorf's design nobody even notices until they're missing. HW Ganondorf is missing his teal and red sash. This is a consistent design choice between all three canon versions of Ganondorf, and is something Hyrule Warrior's just discarded for who knows what reason. Even if such a design element was likely included to provide a sense of consistency between the three Ganondorfs, who are the same person.

You really think every Yoshi player sucks? It's 99.98% more likely that Yoshi simply isn't that good lol.

I'm telling you, you just need to get good at the matchup. Nobody's perfect; I suck at fighting DDD, for example.

I can give you an objective Yoshi flaw btw; his roll sucks ass and his grab game is poor.

EDIT: Wait a sec...i'm pretty sure you're a Yoshi main. Did you just bait me.

INSIGNIFICANT SPECK OF FECULENT SCUM! HOW DAAAARE YOU.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

It's part of a character's design. Ganondorf's teeth don't even look human in Smash Bros, let alone what they actually look like. And maybe a cartoon grin works for someone like Mario, but not for Ganondorf. He just ends up looking dopey. Besides, it was a reply to a complain on Sonic's mouth. So we're already complaining about character's mouths.

Subtle design elements add to the character. Pronounced canines make someone look more beast like and savage, which is part of Ganondorf's personality, especially in Twilight Princess.

It's something I'm picky on, and part of the reason I hate Ganondorf's design in Hyrule Warriors. It's missing subtle design elements consistent with Ganondorf's design nobody even notices until they're missing. HW Ganondorf is missing his teal and red sash. This is a consistent design choice between all three canon versions of Ganondorf, and is something Hyrule Warrior's just discarded for who knows what reason. Even if such a design element was likely included to provide a sense of consistency between the three Ganondorfs, who are the same person.
You're insane. IT'S A FUCKING TOOTH.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Adding his scar back was such an odd decision. Even if he is based on TP's design, at least without the scar you could handwave him as a general Ganondorf, especially when they decided to remodel his whole facial structure.

Adding his scar back was such an odd decision. Even if he is based on TP's design, at least without the scar you could handwave him as a general Ganondorf, especially when they decided to remodel his whole facial structure.

Yep. Even though the Zelda characters in Smash use a design from a specific game, their animations and general design allow you to imagine them working as a generic version of the character. But Ganondorf's scar grounds him firmly as Twilight Princess Ganondorf.

It literally

LITERALLY

doesn't matter because Melee Dorf is better anyway
I have to say, Melee Ganon has one hell of a profile
SSBM_Portrait_Ganondorf.png

Dat nose

You're insane. IT'S A FUCKING TOOTH.
Maybe you don't notice minor details, but I do. Especially on characters I like.

NeonZ

They added an engraving of the Gerudo emblem around some runes to his front chest plate (it's almost unnoticeable though since it's all metallic blue, rather than receiving a different color to highlight the symbols). I guess they considered that was enough to reference his Gerudo origins and so the sash wasn't needed anymore. Some of the discarded designs for HW Ganondorf had the white with green and red markings pattern on his pants, coat... or even a piece of cloth covering his crotch. So, they seemingly noticed that design element, but decided to drop it anyway.

woopWOOP

Hey so did anybody here actually use the WiiU stage editor a few times? Uploaded a few stages?

I'm asking because me and a long distance buddy are doing a thing now where we pick random characters with random custom builds and fight on the coolest and (mostly) crappiest stages we can find through Smash's online gallery. With items on high ofcourse.

Just wondering if I can add some of GAF's best works into the mix for our next session ;D

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Hey so did anybody here actually use the WiiU stage editor a few times? Uploaded a few stages?

I'm asking because me and a long distance buddy are doing a thing now where we pick random characters with random custom builds and fight on the coolest and (mostly) crappiest stages we can find through Smash's online gallery. With items on high ofcourse.

Just wondering if I can add some of GAF's best works into the mix for our next session ;D

Made some ages ago, but never uploaded them, but since you asked here's two I made:

Ice Climbers - Bonus Summit

Super Mario Bros 2 - Vase

NeonZ

Linking the miiverse posts is pointless though, unlike in Mario Maker, right?

Anyway... I just realized that I haven't uploaded my newest stages. Here are the old ones uploaded, although I'm not sure it helps. Anyway, note that the bottom of these stages often isn't visible (at least not without the free pause camera available in custom stages) and it's beyond the boundaries.

Original Stages

Wario's Factory
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkKwSBwXA

Venus Lighthouse (Golden Sun)
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHjnp7x7zw

Murasame Castle Ceiling

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHjnp-a5AQ

Icicle Top (original stage inspired by Ice Climbers)
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHjnpVkLFA

Remakes of old stages

Great Fox 64
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHjnqXsDow

Saffron City 64
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkMOD6kGg

(made before the actual DLC stages were reveaked)

Pirate Ship
Medium size
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkQ9JLRaw

Big size
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkNLaYWVQ

Hyrule Castle 64
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHjnqaKiVQ

Mushroom Kingdom 64
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHjnp8EVRQ

woopWOOP

Uploads only stay a month or something, if I recollect correctly.
Yeah, it also only shows a maximum of 100 of the most recent uploaded stages too. Although you can search by country and map size, uploads from the US & Japan tend to get buried within 5 days or so by the amount of uploads sadly.

If anybody feels like reuploading some of their old ones tho that'd be great! I really like the Warioware and Venus Lighthouse stages, NeonZ, but it looks like I'm a couple of months too late for that :p
Made some ages ago, but never uploaded them, but since you asked here's two I made:
Thanks! These are wonderful. I like those accompanying miiverse doodles too haha

NeonZ

Alright, just reuploaded Venus Lighthouse and Wario's Factory.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAADAAB2V0ew6oUyRQ
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAADAAB2V0ew63Ty1A

Also, randomly uploaded a stage that I created for Ken's theme. It doesn't have anything special aside from that though (like in the custom Pirate ship stages I made, the bottom of the ship is bellow the camera's movement range during gameplay to give the impression that it's not flying in the air).

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAADAAB2V0ew60cmgQ

Actually, I hadn't thought about it before... what happens if you download a stage with a bgm track from a DLC you don't own?

woopWOOP

Thanks!

Since you can't alter any downloaded stages I'm guessing the music stays the same? Even if you don't buy DLC you'll still get the DLC stages in online rotation so it's not like vanilla players are missing data.

Actually, that probably explains all those Battlefield and Final Destination knockoffs I'm seeing with FFVII and Bayonetta BGMs.

God they fucked up his character model so bad. Smash Wii U has to have some of the widest variance in character model quality I've seen in a fighting game.

I really hope Breath of the Wild has useable character designs for Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf to use in the next Smash, but I'm not holding my breath.

NeonZ

I wouldn't be surprised if the actual reason they kept the TP designs was just SS's lack of popularity, rather than the excuse about wanting to keep the designs uniform. Unless the "next" Smash turns out to be just a port, then BotW certainly will be the source for the designs.

Neoxon

I wouldn't be surprised if the actual reason they kept the TP designs was just SS's lack of popularity, rather than the excuse about wanting to keep the designs uniform. Unless the "next" Smash turns out to be just a port, then BotW certainly will be the source for the designs.
Unless BotW doesn't have viable designs for Zelda & Ganondorf. And I thought that Skyward Sword did well in both sales & reviews?

PK Gaming

I hope, I hope, I hope, I hope, I hope they use new designs for Link, Zelda and Ganondorf in the next Smash game.

And new movesets would be nice.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Any time I think of Skyward Sword, I think of Egoraptor's amazing rant on it. That's pretty much the only joy the game has given me.

You surprise me Beef. Honestly, I felt Egoraptor's rant about Zelda in that video was one of the whiniest and worst I've heard like ever.

I think ultimately they stuck with the TP incarnations of Link, Zelda and Ganondorf because they're the most "franchise neutral" design they could possibly pick. It's kinda true, whenever I think of those characters, the TP designs come to mind.

Like, I don't really see BOTW Link being included because Sakurai probably thinks that well, when people think of Link, they think of his iconic green tunic and hat, which BOTW Link seems to lack.

Like, I don't really see BOTW Link being included because Sakurai probably thinks that well, when people think of Link, they think of his iconic green tunic and hat, which BOTW Link seems to lack.
With the amount of clothing options BotW has I think the likelihood of the green tunic and hat not being present in some form is pretty small. The two things I would be more concerned with are a boomerang and hookshot.

NeonZ

Unless BotW doesn't have viable designs for Zelda & Ganondorf. And I thought that Skyward Sword did well in both sales & reviews?

TP is the best or second best selling 3d Zelda game, depending on how you add up the sales (if you add up GC and Wii versions of TP vs N64 OoT, TP comes ahead. But then if you just compare Wii vs N64 OoT, OoT is ahead. And OoT is ahead again if you add up the 3DS version sales).

SS barely beats Majora's Mask sales as far as 3d console Zeldas go, it's nearly the worst selling console 3d Zelda game. The reason the TP designs stand out as iconic and relevant is just because it's a much more popular game in the first place.

Neoxon

TP is the best or second best selling 3d Zelda game, depending on how you add up the sales (if you add up GC and Wii versions of TP vs N64 OoT, TP comes ahead. But then if you just compare Wii vs N64 OoT, OoT is ahead. And OoT is ahead again if you add up the 3DS version sales).

SS barely beats Majora's Mask sales as far as 3d console Zeldas go, it's nearly the worst selling console 3d Zelda game. The reason the TP designs stand out as iconic and relevant is just because it's a much more popular game in the first place.
There's also the fact that the Zelda of Skyward Sword is just too innocent from a design & character standpoint and that there's no Ganondorf design to go off of (before you bring up Sheik, she was indeed planned for Twilight Princess). If we have non-contemporary designs (or to be more specific, non combat-ready designs) for Zelda & Ganondorf, they'll likely stick with the Twilight Princess designs for Smash 5.

As for Skyward Sword, also consider that the Wii was at the tail-end of its life.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I love you, SmashGAF. <3

SmashGAF is definitely one of my favorite group on NeoGAF. I just wish that some members would post little more in this thread. I'm talking about members who mainly complained about Smash 4 Official Threads being taken over by players with matchmaking comments and discussions so they felt that they couldn't post there, should able to post their thoughts and discussion. They are the biggest reason why I made the thread so they could have a place to discuss about Smash Bros franchise but they wouldn't able to keep their words on their ends.

I did, and I did so terrible with some custom stages. I think there is only stage that I actually felt proud of, which is not perfect Tetris stage. I did made same thing for Brawl as well.

Ice Climbers - Bonus Summit

That's awesome. I'm pretty clueless when it come down to downloading the stages from website so how could I do that?

Also I was surprised that Sakurai didn't even bother to include Ice Climbers' stage as homage in Smash 4.

Uploads only stay a month or something, if I recollect correctly.

wow, I didn't even know that. I thought they would stay up on site for good time.

Excellent choice of location for Golden Sun. I wish that Isaac actually have a chance but that's shame that they wouldn't able to make in the game like ever again.

God they fucked up his character model so bad. Smash Wii U has to have some of the widest variance in character model quality I've seen in a fighting game.

I really hope Breath of the Wild has useable character designs for Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf to use in the next Smash, but I'm not holding my breath.

I have a doubt that they would change the models in Smash NX (if they are going to strongly based it on Smash Wii U and 3DS). Again, I don't really have any problem with Smash U's Ganondorf. I do get that some people aren't fan of current Ganondorf but I don't really mind it at all.

PtM

Banned
With the amount of clothing options BotW has I think the likelihood of the green tunic and hat not being present in some form is pretty small. The two things I would be more concerned with are a boomerang and hookshot.
With all that climbing business, there better be hookshots!

jnWake

There's also the fact that the Zelda of Skyward Sword is just too innocent from a design & character standpoint and that there's no Ganondorf design to go off of (before you bring up Sheik, she was indeed planned for Twilight Princess). If we have non-contemporary designs (or to be more specific, non combat-ready designs) for Zelda & Ganondorf, they'll likely stick with the Twilight Princess designs for Smash 5.
Yeah, SS Zelda is a great character but definitely not a warrior. TP Zelda is the only one that actually seems could fight. Well, also Tetra but that's an entirely different design and nobody wants 3 Zeldas in the game I hope.

PtM

Banned
Yeah, SS Zelda is a great character but definitely not a warrior. TP Zelda is the only one that actually seems could fight. Well, also Tetra but that's an entirely different design and nobody wants 3 Zeldas in the game I hope.
Oh no the quotas!

Golnei

Since Samus is genetically a human/Chozo/Metroid/X hybrid at this point, and Cloud underwent five years of experimentation that included the implantation of sentient Jenova cells, breeding them would have to be more mad science than traditional eugenics. Though not quite to Red XIII/Aerith levels.

There's also the fact that the Zelda of Skyward Sword is just too innocent from a design & character standpoint

Yeah, SS Zelda is a great character but definitely not a warrior. TP Zelda is the only one that actually seems could fight.

Wait, what? Do Yoshi, Ness, Kirby and Co look like hardcore warriors to you people or something? :p

I'm always baffled by the bizzarro reasoning people come up with for why a character or aesthetic they don't like can't be in smash, especially when the existing roster is sufficient to prove their arguments wrong :/

PtM

Banned
Wait, what? Do Yoshi, Ness, Kirby and Co look like hardcore warriors to you people or something? :p

I'm always baffled by the bizzarro reasoning people come up with for why a character or aesthetic they don't like can't be in smash, especially when the existing roster is sufficient to prove their arguments wrong :/
I'm always baffled by the guys who seemingly go out of their way to not understand reasonings they oppose.
NOT.

PtM

Banned
Then you'll have no problem with me then because I have absolutely no idea what the heck you're talking about :/
I'll give you that SS Zelda is not much more mellow than OoT Zelda, but those cartoon characters you've brought up all come from a violent background in comparison.

I'll give you that SS Zelda is not much more mellow than OoT Zelda, but those cartoon characters you've brought up all come from a violent background in comparison.
What fighting did OoT zelda do when not in sheik form? What combat did Twilight Princess Zelda do that wasn't just Ganon using her body as a puppet? Unless you mean that one part she shot light arrows, which is literally the full extent of her 'violent background' :/

If this is the argument then we should be playing toon zelda because at least she smacked stuff about as a phantom while in statues :p

edit: actually, maybe a better 'combat zelda' would be the one in hyrule warriors. She fights more than any other Zelda incarnation (and she has a Skyward Sword alt nobody complained about as a bonus too :3 )

PtM

Banned
What fighting did OoT zelda do when not in sheik form? What combat did Twilight Princess Zelda do that wasn't just Ganon using her body as a puppet? Unless you mean that one part she shot light arrows, which is literally the full extent of her 'violent background' :/

If this is the argument then we should be playing toon zelda because at least she smacked stuff about as a phantom while in statues :p

edit: actually, maybe a better 'combat zelda' would be the one in hyrule warriors. She fights more than any other Zelda incarnation (and she has a Skyward Sword alt nobody complained about as a bonus too :3 )
TP Zelda at least held a weapon once. as far as I know, SS Zelda only held a harp. That may be enough for Musou, but Musou is BS.
As for OoT Zelda, read again.

Top Bottom