• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Community Thread |OT| Next Super Smash Bros. Discussion

G.ZZZ

A Tetra alt for Zelda would be amazing, especially if they don't whitewash her hard like what they did when she transformed in Zelda. It'd be nice to have a non-white female character from Nintendo.

Just look at that! She even has a sword already!

TP Zelda at least held a weapon once. as far as I know, SS Zelda only held a harp. That may be enough for Musou, but Musou is BS.
As for OoT Zelda, read again.
Ironically it's sheik that uses the harp in the Musuo game, though it works pretty well as a weapon for her (also my favourite sheik design, aesthetically) :3

The main point is, the mainline versions of Zelda are all low to no combat, TP included.
I've always felt the real reason people are against SS zelda being a skin or the rep in smash is just because she's upbeat, which is why I brought in the super cute smiley and often oblivious kirby as an argumental point. Yoshi falls much under the same umbrella too.

In terms of non-violence and general lack of aggressive nature i think Rosalina kind of stands out. I don't think she ever got her hands dirty at all (I haven't played Mario Galaxy 2, so feel free to correct me if she fights in that) Yet she's still in smash anyhoo, treating her beloved star-children as disposable as she does so :p

A Tetra alt for Zelda would be amazing, especially if they don't whitewash her hard like what they did when she transformed in Zelda. It'd be nice to have a non-white female character from Nintendo.

Just look at that! She even has a sword already!
Yeah, Tetra would make a lot of sense, though I'd argue her moveset would be so different that she's basically a different character (one I'd personally be fine with seeing added) :3

PtM

Banned
Rosalina is a good example for how SS Zelda would probably get a whole new, abstracted move set. Even more since she's not even a magic user, right? Or not, to be honest, it could go either way.

Golnei

SS Zelda has more canon experience launching people off floating platforms into the void than any other incarnation of the character, I don't know why people always doubt her Smash credentials.

NeonZ

TP Zelda at least held a weapon once. as far as I know, SS Zelda only held a harp. That may be enough for Musou, but Musou is BS.
As for OoT Zelda, read again.

Smash Zelda mostly fights with magic though. I could understand the "fighting doesn't fit" if she had a rapier focused moveset, but her only weapon use is the light arrow final smash.

I mean, visually, the Skyward Sword skin for Zelda in HW fits just fine for the Wind Waker or the Dominion Rod. It's only the rapier moveset that looks odd for her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM_ppJuSd5g

SS Zelda was skipped over because her design is lame. Smash has enough doe eyed blonde princesses, let Zelda be regal and fierce.
In my eyes, TP Zelda is more bland and humourless than regal or fierce :p
I'm not a huge fan of princesses to be honest, especially 'doe eyed blonde' ones, so SS actually appeals to me because she's actually a character rather than a princess stereotype :p

zelda_confronts__banner-auto-cropping.png

edit: actually, now that I think on it, Zelda was actually a student at the knight academy along with link so not only was she actually combat trained but she could've potentially ended up with her own knight's uniform :D

Of course, remember how Zelda took part in the Skywing race?
She was acting goddess for the ceremony at the end of the race. Whether that excludes her from the race or if she already graduated and so didn't need to race was never made clear. We only see her in her goddess ceremony garb because the entire start takes place during the setup of the wing ceremony, the first time you see her being when she's showing off her outfit :p She has a room in the boarding school that's exclusively for those in the academy though so make of it what you will.

jnWake

Wait, what? Do Yoshi, Ness, Kirby and Co look like hardcore warriors to you people or something? :p

I'm always baffled by the bizzarro reasoning people come up with for why a character or aesthetic they don't like can't be in smash, especially when the existing roster is sufficient to prove their arguments wrong :/

I'm always baffled when people get angry and assume things of people based on their opinions. I just pointed out that of all Zelda incarnations, TP is the one that fits a fighting role the most. Sorry it made you so angry dude. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I don't really have any problem with the designs for Zelda, Ganondorf, Link, Sheik and Toon Link in Smash Bros 4, but I wonder what it would be like if we see Link, Ganondorf and Zelda were inspired by Hyrule Warrior templates.

I'm always baffled when people get angry and assume things of people based on their opinions. I just pointed out that of all Zelda incarnations, TP is the one that fits a fighting role the most. Sorry it made you so angry dude. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Dude? I'm angry? After all that talk of assumptions is this post of assumptions meant to be ironic? :p
No need to apologize for something that never happened, but thanks :3

I think I tackle why I disagree with your stance on her being the most apt for fighting well enough in the posts that follow too :D

TrueBlue

Disagree. I think it's a great amalgamation of the 3D Zelda designs while retaining its own feel.

The only real negative is perhaps the thigh window.

EDIT: Then again, I don't really dislike any of her designs. TP Zelda is a personal fave.

Neoxon

I don't really have any problem with the designs for Zelda, Ganondorf, Link, Sheik and Toon Link in Smash Bros 4, but I wonder what it would be like if we see Link, Ganondorf and Zelda were inspired by Hyrule Warrior templates.
That depends, does Nintendo own the designs from Hyrule Warriors, or is it a Kingdom Hearts situation where Nintendo owns the pre-existing characters while Tecmo Koei owns the designs?

PtM

Banned
She was acting goddess for the ceremony at the end of the race. Whether that excludes her from the race or if she already graduated and so didn't need to race was never made clear. We only see her in her goddess ceremony garb because the entire start takes place during the setup of the wing ceremony, the first time you see her being when she's showing off her outfit :p She has a room in the boarding school that's exclusively for those in the academy though so make of it what you will.
So there's another building where she would normally live?
Smash 4 is the best Zelda's ever looked in my opinion. Her face is too cute.

2409383-1994153830-scree.jpg
She always looked a tad aggressive to me. I like that.
A the end of TP, Zelda becomes a queen.

To me, that makes TP Zelda the best. She finally became a queen.
TP Zelda is Queen from the start.
Too animu.
The only worse Zelda design than Skyward Sword's is Hyrule Warriors'.
My man!

PtM

Banned
~shrug~ Do we find out where any of the other knight's homes/family are outside of Pipit? It's been a while so I don't recall.
I'm pretty sure we don't. The point still stands anyhow that she's just living there as the headmaster's daughter.

Hey so did anybody here actually use the WiiU stage editor a few times? Uploaded a few stages?

I'm asking because me and a long distance buddy are doing a thing now where we pick random characters with random custom builds and fight on the coolest and (mostly) crappiest stages we can find through Smash's online gallery. With items on high ofcourse.

Just wondering if I can add some of GAF's best works into the mix for our next session ;D

I don't mess around with it too often. Looooooove the new backgrounds but I'm not too crazy about the limitations.

Personally, I have great fun with the Trophy Diorama photo studio.

Golnei

That depends, does Nintendo own the designs from Hyrule Warriors, or is it a Kingdom Hearts situation where Nintendo owns the pre-existing characters while Tecmo Koei owns the designs?

As an aside, I think Square-Enix actually does still own the Kingdom Hearts designs for all FF characters which show up in that series. The costumes showing up in Dissidia without a single mention of Disney's ownership would seem to suggest that, at least.

Neoxon

As an aside, I think Square-Enix actually does still own the Kingdom Hearts designs for all FF characters which show up in that series. The costumes showing up in Dissidia without a single mention of Disney's ownership would seem to suggest that, at least.
I was thinking more of how Disney owns Sora but Square-Enix owns Sora's costumes.

woopWOOP

I don't mess around with it too often. Looooooove the new backgrounds but I'm not too crazy about the limitations.

Personally, I have great fun with the Trophy Diorama photo studio.
That reminds me, I never figured out how I could play around with the photo studio all this time... I can get one trophy to appear in a fancy surrounding, but that's it. Although it's not like the game allows me to save any pictures without a SD card anyway (??).

The new editor is pretty dang clunky for sure and the missing features aren't helping much, but I've come to appreciate the fluid shapes you can place in there. I like it better than Brawl's now honestly. If only you could change the layers of the floors and drag existing pieces around then it would be perfect. ...Well, perfect as it can be without the other missing hazards and whatnot.

PS: If you have any old levels laying around, upload them anyway! :V

RomanceDawn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9H9se_xhR8

That Began guy is at it again, not sure if you guys have seen it. This guy is really putting in some interesting work on Ridley. Love that Brawl design, though I think I'd be much happier if he had smaller wings like he does in ALL of his 2D appearances. The small wings just gives Ridley a much more alien/exotic look to me.

BalladofWindfish go hate on Ridley in the only place it belongs! The Other M thread!

Neoxon

Smash 4 was tied for 8th for NeoGAF's Favorite Fighting Game. Hell, my quote was even used in the description for Smash 4.

That reminds me, I never figured out how I could play around with the photo studio all this time... I can get one trophy to appear in a fancy surrounding, but that's it. Although it's not like the game allows me to save any pictures without a SD card anyway (??).

The new editor is pretty dang clunky for sure and the missing features aren't helping much, but I've come to appreciate the fluid shapes you can place in there. I like it better than Brawl's now honestly. If only you could change the layers of the floors and drag existing pieces around then it would be perfect. ...Well, perfect as it can be without the other missing hazards and whatnot.

PS: If you have any old levels laying around, upload them anyway! :V

You need to use the GamePad for the Photo Studio.

I've made two levels: one where Cranky Kong is smacking DK over the head with his cane and a small floating ship in the sky. Maybe I'll share them sometime, although I'm a little embarrassed how the former accidentally looks lewd.

That Began guy is at it again, not sure if you guys have seen it. This guy is really putting in some interesting work on Ridley. Love that Brawl design, though I think I'd be much happier if he had smaller wings like he does in ALL of his 2D appearances. The small wings just gives Ridley a much more alien/exotic look to me.

BalladofWindfish go hate on Ridley in the only place it belongs! The Other M thread!

I dunno, I kinda like how the big wings make him look more imposing. I know it's supposed to be a hype trailer but some of those moves look super cheap, haha.

Anyway, lately Ridley mods have been pretty impressive. Might be time for me to cast aside my skepticism...

When he stands next to Samus, he doesn't really look that small. I thought he'd look weirdly out of scale, but they seem to have done a much better job than older mods to make him not seem crunched down in size.

um I don't think ridley is allowed to participate because he is supposed to be able to fly forever

For real though I want Ridley in an official Smash so bad and these mods only get me hungrier!

Given the current state of Metroid I'm not holding my breath for a playable Ridley in the future.

Can you imagine if the Other M abomination was made playable? It would truly be Smash's greatest monkey's paw.

I guess something is wrong with me because I'm a huge Metroid fan and I love Other M Ridley. One of the best parts of the game for me. He's scary looking to me.

The Ridley KO icon still cracks me up. So cruel.

Honestly, I've always enjoyed Metroid representation in Smash before 4.
I did too actually. 64 and Melee came in the interim between Super and Prime/Fusion so I was pretty happy to see anything Metroid related and Brawl was primarily made up of Zero Mission and actually acknowledging that the Prime games happened.

SSB4 fucked up bad by being so hardcore focused on Other M, to the point that the Prime series was basically ignored entirely outside of a couple colors and an Assist Trophy. One new stage across both versions and it's a location from Other M, a game with the absolute blandest environments of any Metroid ever and it's populated by the most annoying stage hazard in the series who happens to look like that... thing I posted a couple posts back. The fact that Ridley's "idiot helper boss" depiction in SSB4 was done with the best of intentions probably makes it worse.

I still can't believe there isn't a single music track in SSB4 from Prime 3 but Other M has two music tracks that aren't the Ridley theme.

EDIT: The divvying up of new music in SSB4 was way skewed all around in comparison to Brawl anyway.

One thing Metroid did alright with in Smash 4 are the assist trophies, especially since to managed to snag a whole three of them (Metroid, Dark Samus, Mother Brain).

Meanwhile Donkey Kong has gone without one single AT for two games in a row despite there being a very obvious candidate...

gameplay_03_rambi.png

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Metroid is repped by:
Two Samuses
Two bosses - Ridley and Mother Brain
The Metroid itself
Dark Samus
Screwball item
Three stages (two of course are returning stages)
Plenty of trophies

I'd say that's pretty good representation.

I think there's... one Metroid trophy that isn't from Other M that isn't a character, item, or assist. The fuck is up with that.

One thing Metroid did alright with in Smash 4 are the assist trophies, especially since to managed to snag a whole three of them (Metroid, Dark Samus, Mother Brain).

Meanwhile Donkey Kong has gone without one single AT for two games in a row despite there being a very obvious candidate...

gameplay_03_rambi.png
"Donkey Kong? What's that?"

I think there's... one Metroid trophy that isn't from Other M that isn't a character, item, or assist. The fuck is up with that.

Dark Suit Samus is the only one.

However, Nightmare and Queen Metroid use Other M's models, but make no mention of Other M on the trophy, and just treat them as generic depictions of them.

Dark Suit Samus is the only one.
Did they forget to ask for Prime character models from Retro when they got the Donkey Kong enemy models? Or vice versa?

However, Nightmare and Queen Metroid use Other M's models, but make no mention of Other M on the trophy, and just treat them as generic depictions of them.
True, and the Queen Metroid's model in Other M is actually pretty good (which I can't really say for the Nightmare, but small favors).

EDIT: Looking at the Queen Metroid trophy again I think the normal Metroids around it are actually the Assist Trophy Metroid model and not the one used in Other M, but they appear so briefly in Other M it's hard to remember.

Top Bottom