• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Community Thread |OT| Next Super Smash Bros. Discussion

Wolf in Brawl is gaudy as hell. Fox's Brawl/SSB4 design is also pretty bad (Falco's okay), so I say bring on the Zero designs, but I don't see them changing the designs of veterans in the case of an updated remaster.

Golnei

Wolf in Brawl is gaudy as hell. Fox's Brawl/SSB4 design is also pretty bad (Falco's okay), so I say bring on the Zero designs, but I don't see them changing the designs of veterans in the case of an updated remaster.

Roy got a fairly significant redesign from Melee - it might not be completely comparable, but I don't think it'd be totally impossible to take influence from Zero were Wolf to be added.

Roy got a fairly significant redesign from Melee - it might not be completely comparable, but I don't think it'd be totally impossible to take influence from Zero were Wolf to be added.

He said "in the case of an updated remaster.". Roy wasn't in Brawl so that gave them the opportunity to redesign him. Fox and Falco on the other hand have their designs firmly established in Smash 4.

Golnei

He said "in the case of an updated remaster.". Roy wasn't in Brawl so that gave them the opportunity to redesign him. Fox and Falco on the other hand have their designs firmly established in Smash 4.

I thought that extended to Wolf too - I agree about Fox and Falco, but I don't think giving Wolf some design changes if he's added to a Switch port would be too different to Roy's new design alongside his addition as DLC.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
character-wolf.png

I really like this look. Still has the spikes and blue colors, but with a better look snout and a nice turtle neck. And larger, deeper red eyes. He looks intimidating.

His head was weird in Brawl (the pose of his official art doesn't help either, it's an odd angle to show off his facial features as the angle just has a giant blob of grey, rather than showing off his headpiece)
latest

I'm also not entirely sure why they unzipped his vest from Assault. And the weird dog collar...

coz he's a wild man, like you need to show you have a collar but have no leash since you're wild!

and you gotta unzip that jacket to give you total movement!

turtlenecks don't scream "I fight like a werewolf!"

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Oh geez, I'm an old man at 24. The recent bet on the Pokemon anime makes me think GAF bets are still a thing. So, I guarantee you that if Smash for Switch happens, and Shovel Knight's not in it, I will... Um... Create a system like a swear jar. Every time I post using the words "honestly," "literally," or "boat" (Presumably my 3 most used words that aren't integral to sentence structure), I'll throw a dollar in.

add Shovel Knight to those words :p

We talking about Solid Snake in here?

well, he might have a chance for you to believe in.

xpHfCvF.jpg

Boss Doggie

in any case, Wolf's look in Brawl definitely highlights his fighting style there. While I vastly prefer his Assault look at any given day in any of his incarnations, the feral wolf doesn't really mesh well with any of his "official" looks (and that's assuming we actually know his whole body look - this is why I love Assault - it's the only game that rightfully gave everyone full body models).

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Corrin's only really trash in the fan fiction tier story that is Conquest, which makes sense because again, fan fiction tier writing. She's kind of grating in the others at times but she definitely has her moments.

Excuse me for a moment. I happened to notice you used a female pronoun to refer to Corrin. While you are free to describe Corrin as a girl, I must inform you that Nintendo sees Corrin, by default, as a male character and all promotional items will reflect that. So please do not become attached to the idea that she is female because Corrin's Amiibo will be a male one.

Have a good day.

Excuse me for a moment. I happened to notice you used a female pronoun to refer to Corrin. While you are free to describe Corrin as a girl, I must inform you that Nintendo sees Corrin, by default, as a male character and all promotional items will reflect that. So please do not become attached to the idea that she is female because Corrin's Amiibo will be a male one.

Have a good day.
I wonder how many people reading this post will realise who it's aimed at and how :p

PtM

Banned
Collar = wild... Yeah right.
Just give him a leather jacket with finger gloves. Any kind of street-brawler look would match his fighting style.

Boss Doggie

A leash-less collar = wild, escaped, etc.

and what, when was the last time you see street brawlers bite people, crouch on all fours, claw people, and howl?

jacket is too impeding. a vest is better. open.

So are we assuming Wolf is going to be in or are there peeps who think Wolf might still not make the cut in switch? :eek:
There's only 3 vets left and I wonder how important they are to Sakurai. I notice peeps talking ice-climbers but I wonder how well they'll do with smash 4's chain-grab protection system :p
And nobody seems particularly vocal about Pichu's chances of returning XD

edit: I'm not ignoring Snake, I just think Konami's messy break-up with Kojima essentially dooms him to the point that I'm not sure there's much to discuss.

PK Gaming

Not the biggest Wolf fan but if its any consolation I thought his Brawl outfit was pretty great

If makes does make it in please make his Fox specific win quote better :eek:

PtM

Banned

and what, when was the last time you see street brawlers bite people, crouch on all fours, claw people, and howl?

It's either escaped or wild, not both.

A jacket is more fitting for a pilot, plus it'd be more consistent with Fox' and Falco's outfits.

Any look would work because it still will be an anthro wolf inside.
Not the biggest Wolf fan but if its any consolation I thought his Brawl outfit was pretty great

If makes does make it in please make his Fox specific win quote better :eek:
"You'll be seeing your dad soon."

I don't know, I think Wolf could come back I really don't wanna say he's a "shoo-in" after, you know, how we thought he was a shoo-in for Smash Wii U/3DS's DLC...and look how that turned out.

Either gender of Robin's okay, Male is still better one because he sounds better

Cam Clarke (and the other voices for Male Corrin for that matter) sounds terrible, that I'd rather go Female Corrin for that reason alone.

When will I be swarmed for preferring Male Robin now?

Wolf is an anthropomorphic wolf in a world of talking, anthro animals.

Wearing a leash in this context would be extremely out of place.

I don't know, I think Wolf could come back I really don't wanna say he's a "shoo-in" after, you know, how we thought he was a shoo-in for Smash Wii U/3DS's DLC...and look how that turned out.

I actually don't think Wolf is a shoe-in either. But I'd be surprised if he didn't make it. If that makes sense.

holy shit i forgot ivysaur and squirtle existed. RIP :(

honestly the Brawl cuts hurt because unlike the clones from Melee these were brand new awesome characters that didn't make it in again.

I loved how Squirtle played. Small and speedy with a lot of mobility.

On his own without a dumb stamina mechanic, he'd be pretty great, I think.

He also had fun cartoon sound effects. And Squirtle is my favorite 1st gen starter. Even if Charizard is my favorite first gen starter final form.

I'm not really sure Squirtle or Ivysaur have much of a chance of ever coming back though. I wouldn't mind if Ivysaur was "cloned" into Bulbasaur, who was 100% identical, but based on a more popular Pokemon. Having the OG Ash team in Smash of Pikachu, Charizard, Squirtle and Bulbasaur would be amazing.

The only way I can see Squirtle and Ivysaur coming back is if they did a Mortal Kombat Trilogy type of deal where they intentionally designed a Smash game to have every Smash character ever. But considering how good Smash is at retaining veterans (over sixty characters in franchise history and only like seven missing in SSB4) I don't see the big appeal in doing that. There's really only three veterans not in SSB4 that anyone cares about (Ice Climbers, Snake, and Wolf, and I'm not entirely sure about Wolf)--Squirtle, Ivysaur, Pichu, and Young Link aren't drawing a crowd.

I remember there were people that thought they were gonna close out on the Smash Broadcast back in December last year with fucking Pichu, lmao. Imagine the shitstorm.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
So are we assuming Wolf is going to be in or are there peeps who think Wolf might still not make the cut in switch? :eek:
There's only 3 vets left and I wonder how important they are to Sakurai. I notice peeps talking ice-climbers but I wonder how well they'll do with smash 4's chain-grab protection system :p
And nobody seems particularly vocal about Pichu's chances of returning XD

edit: I'm not ignoring Snake, I just think Konami's messy break-up with Kojima essentially dooms him to the point that I'm not sure there's much to discuss.

People should know all characters aren't guaranteed to be in the game, even Ice Climbers and Inklings because there are always a way to prevent it from happens.

I remember there were people that thought they were gonna close out on the Smash Broadcast back in December last year with fucking Pichu, lmao. Imagine the shitstorm.

Really? I know there are few people strongly believe that we are getting Pichu but expecting Pichu to close the direct. That actually surprised me.

Pichu feels like Doc, in that he's such an easy character to add to the game, that's pretty much his only hope.

Of the cut Melee vets, I wouldn't at all consider Doc the most popular, but he was the one who made it back first, pretty much entirely because of how easy he was to add. And then they added Mewtwo and Roy, the two I'd consider the "popular" Melee cut vets (with Mewtwo being wayyyy more popular than Roy). After Doc.

Adding Pichu would also allow Jigglypuff to go back to not being a joke character. At bare minimum he needs an Up Smash, some taunts and some victory animations. At best, maybe a couple new move animations and a better run animation (Pikachu's didn't down scale very well at all in Melee).

Some day I'm going to need to come to terms with the fact that Pichu is never going to be in another Smash Bros game, and Gen II is basically going to be entirely forgotten in Smash Bros

It should also be noted that Doc was actually planned as an alternate costume for Mario, which makes enough sense because it's just Mario in a doctor's outfit. Pichu on the other hand has completely different proportions from that of Pikachu, so it wouldn't work.

It should also be noted that Doc was actually planned as an alternate costume for Mario, which makes enough sense because it's just Mario in a doctor's outfit. Pichu on the other hand has completely different proportions from that of Pikachu, so it wouldn't work.

Pichu wouldn't work as an alt, but they can still re-use Pikachu's animations, just scaled down (like they did in Melee for Pichu and Young Link).

Zubz

Banned
add Shovel Knight to those words :p

Really, Heath? You and I both know I was pushing far harder for Ridley. Also Bayonetta. That said, I have no idea why everyone rules out Shovel Knight on SmashGAF after how large the "leak" thread was. Again, he's definitely on the radar now.

... And it sounded like Sakurai was leaving Smash after the DLC, which means this next version may only have minimal input from him. I'm not saying Ridley's back on the table, but I am saying I wholeheartedly expect him again.

Gen 2 is forgotten because it had the weakest Pokemon lineup in the entire series.

Feraligatr alone would like to have a word with you.
Or, like, everything from Gen IV that wasn't Lucario.

Feraligatr alone would like to have a word with you.
Or, like, everything from Gen IV that wasn't Lucario.

Feraligatr is 1 out of maybe 20 (and I'm being generous there) memorable Pokemon that debuted in Gen 2. Say what you will about the Gen 2 games themselves, but the new Pokemon were mostly forgettable, if not outright bad.

Sponge

Banned
No doubt in my mind we'll see something Smash related. January will make a year since those Amiibo were announced and they still haven't been released.

Boss Doggie

It's either escaped or wild, not both.

A jacket is more fitting for a pilot, plus it'd be more consistent with Fox' and Falco's outfits.

Any look would work because it still will be an anthro wolf inside.
Pretty sure it can be both.

That's the thing though, he should NOT be consistent with Fox and Falco. They are not his team. He fights differently from them.

And yes, an anthro wolf, but unlike Fox and Falco, he embraces the more feral side. Then again that's for good, since a feral pheasant would be weird.

Wolf is an anthropomorphic wolf in a world of talking, anthro animals.

Wearing a leash in this context would be extremely out of place.

We don't know Lylat's fashion sense. Considering Leon being into BDSM though, it works.

Top Bottom