• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Community Thread |OT| Next Super Smash Bros. Discussion

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
SAKURAI

GIVE ME THIS BABY

aqgoit.gif

I sense a lot of forum arguments on which Alolan starter should be in Smash between the Fire and Grass starters coming in the future.

And then Sakurai adds the Water starter

Golnei

And then Sakurai adds the Water starter

Probably the least likely of the three, but I'd actually really like to see them included, their body type would be very distinct - the changes in silhouette between the reclining neutral position and being more upright along with the hair's shifting shape could make them a very visually dynamic character.

SAKURAI

GIVE ME THIS BABY

tumblr_inline_ofppowyE1i1tty6ps_500.gif

Golnei

Decidueye would probably be more interesting, but I needed a cat fighter in Smash like yesterday.

We might have come close to having a panther...

571bf0d6e96cc62f4ffab55117464f57.jpg

Even if it's just part of a taunt or victory animation, I'd like to see the Beast Within forms integrated into Bayonetta's portrayal - they did such a great job of capturing the rest of her moveset.

All of a sudden I find myself agreeing with what was once known as Sceptile logic, we need a grass starter for... starter type representation or something.
I have suddenly come around on this line of thinking as of Gen 7, and what a coincidence, it's an Owl!

Javier

Another game I would love to see represented is Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Even if we don't get a character, at least put the Battle Arena as a stage.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Really, Heath? You and I both know I was pushing far harder for Ridley. Also Bayonetta. That said, I have no idea why everyone rules out Shovel Knight on SmashGAF after how large the "leak" thread was. Again, he's definitely on the radar now.[/SPOILER]

I should have add /s . I thought it would be obvious since I added the picture to it but I was so wrong.

76 more days :)

Man, y'all are really hyping up for the Owl3, are y'all?

jph139

Another game I would love to see represented is Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Even if we don't get a character, at least put the Battle Arena as a stage.

I'd settle for trophies at this point. Anything to keep those designs alive - I feel like it's one of those games that's just gonna be forgotten by everyone, though...

Ryce

Decidueye seems way too "manufactured" a pick to me -- it's like Smash fans have the preconceived notion that there needs to be a starter trio and are treating Decidueye like a shoo-in because of it. We don't know what Game Freak/TPC has in store for Decidueye. Greninja won a ton of "best new Pokémon" polls long before it was revealed for Smash Bros., and it was given a prominent role in the anime. Its popularity felt organic. Decidueye looks kind of cool, but its popularity among Smash fans mostly strikes me as a forced desire for a grass starter. I'm not sold on it yet.

Richie

Decidueye seems way too "manufactured" a pick to me -- it's like Smash fans have the preconceived notion that there needs to be a starter trio and are treating Decidueye like a shoo-in because of it. We don't know what Game Freak/TPC has in store for Decidueye. Greninja won a ton of "best new Pokémon" polls long before it was revealed for Smash Bros., and it was given a prominent role in the anime. Its popularity felt organic. Decidueye looks kind of cool, but its popularity among Smash fans mostly strikes me as a forced desire for a grass starter. I'm not sold on it yet.

I really don't see this as a Zoroark type of deal...Whereas the fire starter's line elicits complains for feeling too generic, and the water starter and its evos are very divisive in the community, the Rowlet line is easily the most popular and well received of the three. Sun and Moon's anime may not have started but the love toward the owl newcomers is tangible and I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if it gets to star in Smash because of its popularity (with the personal addendum that I'd love if it was yet wouldn't mind if it wasn't).

Being a Grass/Ghost type is just icing on the cake. Sakurai could get some serious fun out of a moveset with ghost elements I'm sure. Not that Greninja had stuff beyond the Water type, but hey.

PK Gaming

I don't know about shoe-in, but Decidueye really lends itself to fighting, is the most unique out of the 3 starters, and it's cool as fuck.

I think the 3rd point is the most relevant considering the Smash's team's fetish for "cool" characters.

Zubz

Banned
Feraligatr is 1 out of maybe 20 (and I'm being generous there) memorable Pokemon that debuted in Gen 2. Say what you will about the Gen 2 games themselves, but the new Pokemon were mostly forgettable, if not outright bad.

Gen 2 had a number of great designs, although I'll admit I'm biased because I also feel Gen 2 was the definitive Pokemon experience. That said, Heracross is also one of my most wanted Smash characters, both because it works and because I love the goshdurn thing.

SAKURAI

GIVE ME THIS BABY

aqgoit.gif

I'm definitely pushing Decidueye for representation (We already have a Fire-Starter, a Dark-Starter, and hand-to-hand combat Pokemon... Plus having a wrestler reduces Hawlucha's future chances)/both are great but Owl Ghost Archer is a bit cooler. That said, the lariat does make a convincing argument...

It's still important to keep in mind that Greninja was added to Smash 4 in the prototype stage. Greninja's popularity ended up being organic, but that was just because Sakurai had an eye for what people like. And as much as people like Incineroar, people love Decidueye.

That said, it also does fit in very well mechanically (Our only archers use a bunch of other weapons, too) and thematically, so that definitely helps. But it's also super cool and I'm sure GF/Sakurai took notice (Plus it's a starter, so a good chunk of players are going to use it), so if Smash Switch does want to add a Gen 7 Pokemon right out of the gate, Decidueye's probably the best choice outside of adding HOT RED (TM) as his own fighter.

I want Decidueye mostly because it's probably going to be the only shot for Smash to have a true archer type fighter ala Hawkeye from Marvel vs Capcom without resorting to some obscure ass Fire Emblem character.

I'm going to make time to jump back to for glory. Any tips for kicking Bayo's ass including good counterpicks? Last time I played I couldn't find good opportunities to punish her. All her attacks bounce right off the shield like Sheik's fish. I have the hardest time grabbing her, and I swear her counter is the worst thing in this game.

I can't wait until Smash 4 Switch to remove Cloud completely from the game and give everyone $5.99 refunds :^)

i'm kidding

No you're not.
Get that fucker out of here.

I'm going to make time to jump back to for glory. Any tips for kicking Bayo's ass including good counterpicks? Last time I played I couldn't find good opportunities to punish her. All her attacks bounce right off the shield like Sheik's fish. I have the hardest time grabbing her, and I swear her counter is the worst thing in this game.
Heh, I still remember the first time I fought a Bayo: I'm usually not fussed about counters because I just bait them out and grab, so I thought I'd be fine... then I found out she's immune to grabs during the animation ¬.¬

Against a lot of cruddy Bayos you'll find on for glory you can almost exclusively beat them by blocking their slide-kick and punishing as it's not exactly safe on shield. Obviously against any half-decent bayo you'll have to find a slightly better technique though :3

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I want Decidueye mostly because it's probably going to be the only shot for Smash to have a true archer type fighter ala Hawkeye from Marvel vs Capcom without resorting to some obscure ass Fire Emblem character.

Definitely this. I'm not rooting for Decidueye because he's a grass starter or a popular character. I'm rooting for him because I really like it's design, and I believe he would be a great full-fledged archer, only if Sakurai found the pokemon interesting enough to be in Smash Bros.

Also, no character should be considered as "Shoo-in" to be in Smash Bros anymore because it could be hard to tell what would happens. Also especially what happens with DLC development. People were wrong on many accounts.

Definitely this. I'm not rooting for Decidueye because he's a grass starter or a popular character. I'm rooting for him because I really like it's design, and I believe he would be a great full-fledged archer, only if Sakurai found the pokemon interesting enough to be in Smash Bros.
:3

I just find his hands to look super goofy with how big they are.
I just find it goofier that his special attack is a spinning T-pose :p

Zubz

Banned
Also, no character should be considered as "Shoo-in" to be in Smash Bros anymore because it could be hard to tell what would happens. Also especially what happens with DLC development. People were wrong on many accounts.

I dunno. I think most of the characters people considered "shoo-in's" (Except for Ridley, and maybe Dixie if we're generous) made it in. At this point, the mentality should be that any character can make it in, seeing how we got both Cloud and Bayonetta.

I just find it goofier that his special attack is a spinning T-pose :p

... And now I no longer find the move as cool.

We need some NES Pro Wrestling reps
Pro_Wrestling_The_Amazon.png

Nah, man. We need Star Man in here.

Top Bottom