• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeInky

That (not very good, but very dedicated) player was doing solid with Ness right?

They were spamming PK thunder on intensity 2.1 classic mode, I don't think that's a good indicator of the characters strengths.

I mean he doesn't even have a hit box anymore during his yo-yo smashes (not to mention the range on them is also awful), dair is awful, PK fire has massive, massive endlag, PK Flash still useless, PSI Magnet does nothing when you're playing against something with no energy projectile still, his tilts are slow and quite weak.

His disjointed hitbox moves (dash attack, fair) are pretty alright, but I wouldn't say there's much else to him.

I need more time with him obviously, but as a Ness Main for almost the entirety of Smash, he's very disappointing in this game, atleast initially.

FSLink

Banned
Can also confirm Ness feels terrible. His up air still feels okay from the few seconds I tried him, but yeah fair and yoyo attacks suck and PK Fire has lots of endlag.

Blue Aether for Ike is so awesome. Glad they fixed this.

J3euW6I.gif

GO UNLOCK CUSTOM MOVES PEOPLE
About damn time!

emb

RIP Short Hop Lasering

Both Fox and Falco land after a laser, smoke a cigarette, then slowly put their gun away
Aw. Well, RIP Falco in general then. He had his shine taken away last game, then his lasers and dair taken away this time. And he lost his dthrow chaingrab from last game. Nintendo hates Falco confirmed.

Edit: Yep, and now seeing it on Zero's stream just further confirms. Not liking the changes for Falco.

Blizzard

Banned
2 stocks 5 minutes is better than being timed matches. I wonder if they changed that after complaints (or maybe I'm just misremembering it being time only).

Lag is disappointing, this is going to be Brawl online 2.0.
it's a shame but anybody who expected different doesn't know what's up.
Is JoeInky playing from North America, Japan, or somewhere else?

*edit* According to Forkball's profile, Forkball is USA.

JoeInky

Is JoeInky playing from North America, Japan, or somewhere else?

UK, comments about it being just the same as Brawl are overblown. It's generally less laggy than Brawl was and this is using servers from halfway across the world, the game should be fine for most people by the time it releases worldwide.

Lunar15

Pac Man is really fun. His moves are nutty.

If you had told me a year ago that Pac Man, Duck Hunt Dog, and Bowser Jr. were getting in smash, I would have recoiled in disgust because honestly, those sound horrible.

But leave it to Sakurai to make them charming enough that I really really enjoy their inclusion. It's insane how he and his team manage to do that.

Blizzard

Banned
UK, comments about it being just the same as Brawl are overblown. It's generally less laggy than Brawl was and this is using servers from halfway across the world, the game should be fine for most people by the time it releases worldwide.
Thanks. *constructs enormous worldwide chart of players vs. lag experience* =P

Of course, ultimately I guess it might be hard to tell since someone could be playing right next to a server in Japan, yet their opponent could be from the U.S. unless matchmaking is finding someone local. I'm guessing for privacy reasons there isn't any way to see what geographical region your opponent is from?

Blizzard

Banned
Any less bummer online impressions? Or is it a unanimous bummer?

Just did three online matches. All as LUIGI and FOR FUN.

First one looked like it was at 30 fps with about two or three pauses where the Smash loading logo popped up.

Second match was almost flawless and I got a flaming uppercut on Ike (get rekt). I lost in sudden death to Mario

Third match was the same as the second. Online isn't inheriently broken, I guess it depends on who you pair with.

He's from the USA I think from the profile.

ec0ec0

just saw falco on zeros stream...

Anth0ny... its actually worse than what you said!!

Falcos forward air has to be the most pathetic move i have seen in smash...

and. that. down. air. what. BibleThump

A nerfed Ness? WTF, he had things bad enough already.

Also, can anyone say if Marth feels more like his Melee incarnation? He doesn't need to be Melee good, but he felt all wrong in Brawl. Not sure I'll keep him as my main, but 12 years has been a long time.

JoeInky

Thanks. *constructs enormous worldwide chart of players vs. lag experience* =P

Of course, ultimately I guess it might be hard to tell since someone could be playing right next to a server in Japan, yet their opponent could be from the U.S. unless matchmaking is finding someone local. I'm guessing for privacy reasons there isn't any way to see what geographical region your opponent is from?

No it doesn't say anything about where they're from, though it's a pretty good indication that they're not in Japan when they have a english username.

The online does fumble in 2v2s at the moment though, the game froze and a loading icon came up for about 5 seconds before the game resumed again.

A nerfed Ness? WTF, he had things bad enough already.

Also, can anyone say if Marth feels more like his Melee incarnation? He doesn't need to be Melee good, but he felt all wrong in Brawl. Not sure I'll keep him as my main, but 12 years has been a long time.

Not played him myself yet, but general consensus is that he's been massively nerfed as well.

No it doesn't say anything about where they're from, though it's a pretty good indication that they're not in Japan when they have a english username.

The online does fumble in 2v2s at the moment though, the game froze and a loading icon came up for about 5 seconds before the game resumed again.

Not played him myself yet, but general consensus is that he's been massively nerfed as well.

Honestly, I'd be OK with him getting hit with the nerf bat if only he could feel right to me again. Guess I'll find out for myself with the NA release. Fingers crossed (Although I'm not super hopeful).

Drago

Still need to unlock

Ganondorf (doing right now)
Jigglypuff (apparently you need to beat classic mode w/ customizattions but I did that and nothing happened)
Mr. Game and Watch
ROB

How do I unlock those last two? VS matches aside

Lunar15

As someone who actually really likes Spirit Tracks, I think the Spirit Tracks stage looks amazing. Plus, it has fantastic music.

Hatchtag

Banned
Man I've been spending an hour and a half in a cafe just downloading smash 4. I feel like I'm gonna get looks sooner of later man.

Muzy72

Banned
I know that if you beat Classic once you unlock
Falco
, but what if I use a character like
Mario or Pit
first, which corresponds with a specific character?

FSLink

Banned
I know that if you beat Classic once you unlock
Falco
, but what if I use a character like
Mario or Pit
first, which corresponds with a specific character?

It does not. Why are you spoilering Mario and Pit?
I used Mario the 2nd time after unlocking Falco with Robin, didn't unlock Doc.

emb

Honestly, I'd be OK with him getting hit with the nerf bat if only he could feel right to me again. Guess I'll find out for myself with the NA release. Fingers crossed (Although I'm not super hopeful).
From what I could tell when I tried (and what I've heard), he feels like the direction he was taken in Brawl, but more. He has even shorter range, more cooldown on his moves, and just felt weird. That was just the demo and chaotic, but other impressions to go along with that.

JoeInky

Dr. Mario doesn't have Mario's Dthrow combos due to having higher throw knockback, his fair is also not a Meteor Smash (which is actually better honestly with the new meteor system), Dr. Tornado can't be used to help recovery much seeing as it has high endlag (and recovering horizontally is really easy in this game anyway), his UpB does more knockback.

The rest seems unchanged, I'm going to bet that Dr. Mario is going to be pretty high tier again but we'll see, Marios better combo game might actually make up for the useless fludd.

E: Oh, Dr. Mario's cape doesn't stall his fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom