• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

one_kill

Functionally, they do the same thing, so it all comes down to preference.

But the D-Pad can't do analog controls that is available on a control stick/circle pad, so functionally, it isn't the same. It honestly puts those who use the D-Pad at a disadvantage. But I guess preference and comfortableness come first, so it sucks in that sense D-Pad controls are not available.

Sorry about my previous post, I did not mean to insult anyone, or shit on anyone's preference. It's just they didn't explain the significant difference between digital vs analog for Smash.
I understand the limitations of the D-pad, but I'm finding it difficult to adjust to the circle pad. To me, it just doesn't feel good.

But you can't be pro and win evo and stuff without an arcade stick ;D
Did you miss this year's EVO??

LouffyEVO.jpg

JoeInky

"This game definitively isn't fun based on nothing but my speculation, which has proven to be very inaccurate in the past"

To be fair, this isn't speculation, people have the game now, I have the game now. I do not like the implications of the VI mechanic, I've been playing in For Glory all morning and watching people go for combos that they think are going to work, but just won't connect at percentages as low as ~38% all because I held the stick slightly away and it leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

The game favours defense, so I fuck up and they finally get a risky attack in and what do they get? 8% off of a fair and the game resets to neutral. I don't enjoy that.

The only time I remember being wrong was saying that Ness was completely awful, but even then I still think he's relatively bad compared to the rest of the cast due to only having a few good moves. I wasn't wrong about multiple air dodges being too much or the fact that the game isn't a "mix of 64 and Brawl" at all, I stand by all that I said in that topic.

Beats

More VI/KBI testing here:

Test Information

Attack: Mario's (fresh) Usmash, not charged
Stage: Final Destination form Battlefield
Testing: Affect of Vector Influence on Survival
Mario's Percent: 0%

Results: Link

No Vector Influence: Link dies at exactly 126%
Upward VI: Link dies at exactly 108%
Downward VI: Link dies at exactly 178%

Results: Pikachu

No Vector Influence: Pikachu dies at exactly 107%
Upward VI: Pikachu dies at exactly 94%
Downward VI: Pikachu dies between 153% and 154% (I got lazy on testing, whatever though close enough)

jorgejjvr

Where can you see in the demo the amounts of coins you have? and how do you guys know the amount of coins that will be transferred over? What's that amount?

NotLiquid

More VI/KBI testing here:

~50% difference is completely insane. Vertical KO's are a thing of the past for characters that can't follow up easily like Mega Man and Sonic.

That said most low % combos seem to be mostly unaffected by it and horizontal KO's will probably not be as much of a deal since the game already has a bigger focus on edgeguarding/gimping and off-screen play. The tests also don't factor into the Rage Effect so it's all going to be really circumstantial.

Lord Phol

To be fair, this isn't speculation, people have the game now, I have the game now. I do not like the implications of the VI mechanic, I've been playing in For Glory all morning and watching people go for combos that they think are going to work, but just won't connect at percentages as low as ~38% all because I held the stick slightly away and it leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

The game favours defense, so I fuck up and they finally get a risky attack in and what do they get? 8% off of a fair and the game resets to neutral. I don't enjoy that.

The only time I remember being wrong was saying that Ness was completely awful, but even then I still think he's relatively bad compared to the rest of the cast due to only having a few good moves. I wasn't wrong about multiple air dodges being too much or the fact that the game isn't a "mix of 64 and Brawl" at all, I stand by all that I said in that topic.

Not that your facts are wrong or that I 100% disagree but you have a very special mindset on how you want the game to be and play like. That makes your comments somewhat judgemental and while they might not be factually wrong they do tend to read a bit anti-smash 4 at times. I can see how some people would take that the wrong way and turning a bit defensive.

In the end we all want the game to be good, but things that are crucial to some might not matter at all to others. Personally I believe there's been alot of jumping to conclusions lately.

emb

Where can you see in the demo the amounts of coins you have? and how do you guys know the amount of coins that will be transferred over? What's that amount?
The vault.

I've heard it's 500, but obviously no one knows for sure with the EU/American game yet.

Every time someone complains about a lack of D-Pad movement on the 3DS (and the eventual lack of it on the Wii U version), I cry on the inside.

Look at what you did Sakurai, poor people don't know how much analog controls are needed for Smash.

I'm pretty sure 99% of the people complaining about the lack of D-Pad support for movement would be returning to the slide pad after one match played with the D-Pad lol.

PKrockin

Not that your facts are wrong or that I 100% disagree but you have a very special mindset on how you want the game to be and play like. That makes your comments somewhat subjective and while they might not be factually wrong they do tend to read a bit anti-smash 4 at times. I can see how some people would take that the wrong way and turning a bit defensive.

In the end we all want the game to be good, but things that are crucial to some might not matter at all to others.
"Very special mindset"? He's far from the only one not wanting Smash to be a game of 8% pokes and killing at 160%.

All that about subjectivity honestly goes without saying.

Formless

Someone ran an experiment on VI.

Test Information
  • Attack: Mario's (fresh) Usmash, not charged
  • Stage: Final Destination form Battlefield
  • Testing: Affect of Vector Influence on Survival
  • Mario's Percent: 0%

Results: Link
  • No Vector Influence: Link dies at exactly 126%
  • Upward VI: Link dies at exactly 108%
  • Downward VI: Link dies at exactly 178%

Results: Pikachu
  • No Vector Influence: Pikachu dies at exactly 107%
  • Upward VI: Pikachu dies at exactly 94%
  • Downward VI: Pikachu dies between 153% and 154% (I got lazy on testing, whatever though close enough)

AdaWong

I'm pretty sure 99% of the people complaining about the lack of D-Pad support for movement would be returning to the slide pad after one match played with the D-Pad lol.
I'm pretty sure 99% of the people complaining about D-Pad actually want it because... They are much, much more comfortable with it?

I played SSFIV with the D-Pad on PS3. I plaued UMVC3 with a D-Pad. I played Project M with a D-Pad. I play every single fighting game with a pad.

I want a D-Pad because I want it (surprise) not because I just want to complain, lol.

Formless

Yeah even if combos are still possible (which the cool ones which are aerial follow ups probably aren't anymore), that kill percent is awful.

Same tester didn't notice that you could break out of some combos starting from 0% with Mario. It's probably different up higher, but yeah.

EDIT: Also a lot of these vectoring tests assume perfect technique. Usually when I'm upsmashed (by the CPU in the demo) it catches me off guard, for what it's worth.

Someone should test kills that go diagonally off the corner and VI down+left or down+right, because in theory that would be even more effective in increasing survival.

emb

Same tester didn't notice that you could break out of some combos starting from 0% with Mario. It's probably different up higher, but yeah.

EDIT: Also a lot of these vectoring tests assume perfect technique. Usually when I'm upsmashed (by the CPU in the demo) it catches me off guard, for what it's worth.
I feel like it's more along the lines of some tester not noticing you could combo at all with Mario at 0%. Seriously, the way most moves pop people out, how long the hit stun is, the way air dodging works, it feels like they were trying not to include any guaranteed combos. Even if the happy accident happens to be intentional, it still seems like most of the time you just get 40-60 percent at the beginning of a stock, then not much works after that. Guys with the game, is my impression completely wrong on that last bit?

But yeah, mixups are probably key with it. In past games this was important too. If you tricked your opponent into DIing the wrong way, they would get stuck in a nasty setup. Some players have better reactions/decision points, so they won't get fooled very easily. But like in the Mario example, if you have a free punish somehow, switch it up between u smash or f/d smash. Though all those moves might be slow enough that an experienced player will react, it's still nice that different VIs are needed.

JoeInky

Not that your facts are wrong or that I 100% disagree but you have a very special mindset on how you want the game to be and play like. That makes your comments somewhat judgemental and while they might not be factually wrong they do tend to read a bit anti-smash 4 at times. I can see how some people would take that the wrong way and turning a bit defensive.

In the end we all want the game to be good, but things that are crucial to some might not matter at all to others.

See, I don't think that I do have a very special mindset, I want a game that's accessible enough to be enjoyable by everyone that actually offers well balanced gameplay mechanics with that and I honestly feel like sakurai has been slacking a bit in the gameplay design in favour of designing content.

I'd love for Smash to get joint directors for this same reason, with Sakurai handling all the content and fan service, but someone else that seems a bit more interested in truly making Smash a game for all levels rather than shutting out what the original fanbase found so exciting about high-level smash gameplay, I want more of the well designed aspects that were found in 64 and melee, not Brawl with a few changes.

I'm completely alright with people disagreeing with me people like different things, but I really don't care for how outright defensive about the game people can become at times, everything that I say has a basis to it and I'll usually at least try to make sure my reasoning is in that post, if people are seeing that as too "anti-smash 4" then that's them investing too much in their hype for the game.

I mean I could maybe understand it a bit more when it was all based on pre-release footage, but now it just seems outright dismissive at times.
People act as if I don't want this game to be enjoyable or don't want to give it a chance when I just spent £90 of money that I don't have to be able to play it 3 weeks early, I wanted the game to be anything but disappointing to me.

And it's not as if I've outright dismissed it either, I'm still enjoying it at some level just because it's new, but the recent developments have made me weary of what the future of competitive smash 4 will turn out like and whether I want to be a part of it.

emb

Was this posted yet?

The "Rage Effect" in Super Smash Bros for the 3DS

Basically, you know the steam at 100% or above? It actually does something more than cosmetic. It's akin to Tekken's rage mode when you have low health. Watch the video to learn more.

This can have an effect on testing VI, by the way.
I believe I did see it posted.

Does the steam actually have an effect though? I didn't pay close attention, but it seemed like the video was just saying there was some knockback scaling with your own percent, rather than a jump at the steam.

Formless

Uair killed at 109%, even after he had used it twice just before? I wonder if it's bad VI, or uair is just that strong. (Seems like a good match btw, enjoying it.)

Some of the extreme complaints I've seen on-stream seem to come from people using non-kill moves, or characters that just don't have very much knockback, on heavy characters. Although the data above doesn't lie.

I'm pretty sure 99% of the people complaining about D-Pad actually want it because... They are much, much more comfortable with it?

I played SSFIV with the D-Pad on PS3. I plaued UMVC3 with a D-Pad. I played Project M with a D-Pad. I play every single fighting game with a pad.

I want a D-Pad because I want it (surprise) not because I just want to complain, lol.

I'll give you that. Yet, I think you are underestimating how uncomfortable the D-Pad on the 3DS can be. Not only it is small, it is also placed at an awkward position which, considering how input heavy smash is, would make the hand cramps people are complaining about even worse.

Seriously, I don't like the fact that they didn't include the D-Pad as movement option. I'm all for more options. But I don't think many people would end up using it in practice.

DaBoss

What I want to be tested with VI is the amount that a bad VI prediction can affect a throw. Be it used for a kill or for a follow up.

What I mean by that is let's say someone is using Ness against a Mario at kill percentage from a back throw, but can be saved by VI.

Most people would think the Ness player will do a back throw (so for this scenario, the back throw would go left if it is done). That means the the Mario player would VI down-right. But the Ness player knowing what the Mario player is going to do does a forward throw. Would that be able to kill them?

Now in an example of a throw being used and lead into a follow up. Zero was using Sheik doing many forward throws (forward would be right for this example) into double/triple f-air. Now let's say the player, using Mario, knows this, and decides to VI away (up-right would be the best option to stay away from the f-air follow ups). The Sheik player guesses that the player knew, and decides to do a back throw instead, which means the player would be launched to the left. Would the VI be strong enough that it will cause the back throw to be strong enough to make the Mario player still be close enough for a follow up for Sheik to be possible?

And I don't even know what difference that the vertical VI in both of these examples would even make a difference.

What exactly does it do? I'm unable to watch the video right now.

It's the game's "comeback" mechanic. You get more knockback on your moves as you are damaged.

Actually, I'm not sure it'll actually be used for the losing player to catch up, because usually when somebody gets a stock on another player they're at high percent and a stock up so it could potentially mean momentum too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom