• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

FSLink

Banned
I don't see where the "casual vs. competitive" viewpoint comes from. From my own casual perspective, it wouldn't matter to me if rage didn't exist or if KDI/VI/whatever was just DI or didn't exist either because I'd play the game in the same casual way as always. I don't see why there's a "casual" viewpoint that gets invested in the argument of whether these are good mechanics.

If anything, I just see a lot of, "Don't critique the game! Just like it for what it is!" in this thread instead.
Yeah this. It's complete bullshit.
A few competitive players might say some angry vile stuff, but you have to realize it's mostly concern and passion for the new game. We want this game to be good competitively. Sure we could play Melee or Project M instead but we want to play Smash 4 instead or in addition to past Smash games.

backlot

In an interview once he said something like "To make the game more fun for tournaments I'd probably have to add really complex controls, which goes against the nature of smash" or some other similar non-reason that completely misses the point.

Where can I find this interview?

I hate this phase of Smash where people insist on new lingo for existing mechanics. Would really prefer we keep our terms simple and consistent. Yes, Directional Influence works differently in Smash 3DS & Wii U compared to past iterations. But it's still Directional Influence, whether it works with angles or vectors. Do we call airdodging by a different term even though that mechanic has been tweaked from Melee to Brawl and from Brawl to now? Nope, we just call it the same, and we explain how it works differently this time around.

Something that I think people aren't understanding is that Directional Influence never stood for "the angle you choose" but "the influence that the direction of your analog stick provides". Meaning if you get launched, choose a direction, and watch how it influences your angle! Now, all it means is this: If you get launched, choose a direction, and watch how it influences your knockback! That's all. I know of quite a few people who were discouraged from entering Brawl's scene due to the rather nonsensical naming conventions (reverse aerial rush...blegh...just call it pivot jump). Keep things simple, guys!

Don't mean to interrupt the flow of discussion but does anyone have that article or quote where Sakurai considers Smash Wii U "Smash 5?"

I found it. It's from Kotaku at last year's E3.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/06/an-in-depth-chat-with-the-genius-behind-super-smash-bros/

Sakurai: No, actually, there was never any consideration to having him in previous games, and if you think about it, there hasn’t been really a precedent for third-party characters joining other than very special cases like Sonic, during the last game. It’s something that wasn’t even possible. We’re now going into versions four and five within the series — this is only something that’s now possible.

Kotaku: When you say four and five, do you mean the 3DS and Wii U versions? Those are separate?

Sakurai: Yeah, exactly.

I wonder if the Smash 6 posting really wasn't just a mistake. Nintendo declined to comment and Namco didn't say anything at all as far I know.

Beats

I don't see where the "casual vs. competitive" viewpoint comes from. From my own casual perspective, it wouldn't matter to me if rage didn't exist or if KDI/VI/whatever was just DI or didn't exist either because I'd play the game in the same casual way as always. I don't see why there's a "casual" viewpoint that gets invested in the argument of whether these are good mechanics.

If anything, I just see a lot of, "Don't critique the game! Just like it for what it is!" in this thread instead.

The bolded is really what bothers me the most in these discussions.

Next

This is where I feel you're a little too biased Joe. Brawl was competitive. Not in the way you might have liked but it was a competitive game. It had huge tourneys for years. That's competitive. Smash 4 will be competitive as well.

Maybe I'm missing something, like an implied "IMO" or something. But a lot of people try and talk to definitely about Brawl in a way that runs contrary to what actually happened. I kind of feel the need to go "hey everyone tourney level Brawl did happen you know".

This is something melee players continue to ignore. I feel like most people talking about this only watched the melee docummentary and as a consequence have a very distorted idea of what happened. Brawl was bigger than melee for a good 5 years, during which many people enjoyed its the competitive scene, and that only recently died. People are even talking like "64 and melee had a competitive scene" leaving out brawl, when 64 barely had any competitive scene.

Neiteio

Honestly, the "hold in opposite direction to reduce your knockback" and the "do more knockback when you have higher damage" mechanics seem like great and intuitive additions. Along with the speed and balance, with virtually every character being viable, SSB4 is looking fantastic.

I found it. It's from Kotaku at last year's E3.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/06/an-in-depth-chat-with-the-genius-behind-super-smash-bros/

I wonder if the Smash 6 posting really wasn't just a mistake. Nintendo decided not to comment on and Namco didn't say anything at all as far I know.

Much obliged. A bit busy at the moment so thanks for this.

I guess this could mean that the wii u version doesn't necessarily have to play exactly like the 3ds version

I doubt it, but would be interesting nonetheless.

PKrockin

I need to clear this out.

Smash has ALWAYS been more of a party game than a hardcore fighter in design. Hell, just ask the actual game designer and creator. The problem alot (not all) of the competitive natured people seem to have is that because they managed to make a somewhat successful hardcore fighting game by altering alot of rules in meele, they also feel that this is the way the game should be designed, but it's not.
Now I've always been on the side that thinks there should be a balance between fun and deeper mechanics. The more people that enjoy the game the better, but I'm getting sick and tired of people expecting the game to cater to their specific needs. There's just no flexibility from these people.

Yes it would be ideal if both casual nintendo loving people and hardcore competitive players could enjoy the game, but that has never been the overall focus of the series. The focus has always been fan service first. There really is no arguing this because the evidence is clear as day, else we wouldn't even have the "Sakurai hates us" comments. Sakurai might not be the best fighting game designer. He tried to offer the competitive community of smash something more with smash 4 (for glory, faster than brawl, hiring namco etc), but even that doesn't seem to be enough.

Before you go and label me casual or a Sakurai lover do know that I've got my own problems with some of his choices. Tripping in brawl was stupid, not having customized moves in random online is dumb, no online smash-run, boss levels, clones. The list goes on. Yeah there's alot of decisions with this game that I would have made different, but I can still try to enjoy the game for what it is, instead of not enjoying it for what it isn't.
I'm sorry if you feel offended, but i had to get this off my chest. If you can't enjoy smash 4 that's sad, but life goes on, there's more games out there and plenty of fighters that are designed for your needs and wants.

TLDR: If the game isn't designed for you in mind, don't get upset over not enjoying it.

Well, I'm not sure how I can even respond to this point by point considering how wrong or nonsensical they are. I guess the whole point of your post is that the game's not for people who enjoy 1v1, no items. Which falls apart when you consider Nintendo themselves hosted a 1v1, no items, Battlefield only tournament. That's an even stricter ruleset than the grassroots community uses. Then there's also the matter of putting all that time and effort into For Glory. I don't know what to tell you if you think Sakurai is trying to tell us that the game actually ISN'T for people who play like this when he's going to great lengths by Nintendo standards to include them.

I'm pretty much done here for a while since I'm tired of all this casual vs competitive crap. It's crazy how much some casuals care about competitive players daring to post that they're disappointed in some aspect of the game. It doesn't affect you. If you see someone openly cursing the heavens and calling for Sakurai's blood because of VI feel free to mock them though. I'll be playing some 2 player 2 CPU FFA with items in the demo.

JoeInky

I know Brawl had a competitive scene, but I don't want the game to have a competitive scene like Brawl, it was pretty shit and died out compared to Melee and 64, Project M will probably end up lasting longer than Brawl despite the fact that a new official Smash game is coming out.

Generally when I say "competitive" I mean "The good kind of competitive", that 64 and Melee had going, I generally view the Brawl competitive scene as a bit of a sham honestly, like trying to cross the ocean on a boat full of holes that they stuck a load of plasters on.

jorgejjvr

Honestly, the "hold in opposite direction to reduce your knockback" and the "do more knockback when you have higher damage" mechanics seem like great and intuitive additions. Along with the speed and balance, with virtually every character being viable, SSB4 is looking fantastic.
Agreed

Revven

Not sure if anyone's noticed yet but Mega Man's Nair (the jumping shots) actually has decent knockback when you shoot it when you're right on top of someone -- so it somewhat works like a normal aerial, but only when your shooting arm is right on top of a character. His jab and Ftilt do not seem to do this, though.

I should also mention that Mega Man's bullets are really good for jab locks (actually, at this point, I'd almost prefer to call 'jab locks' in this game jab resets just because that's their only use now -- you can't lock people anymore) and they give you plenty of time to charge up a fully powered Fsmash as they're forced to get up.

Might be useful, might not be -- have to hope they miss the tech really.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I know Brawl had a competitive scene, but I don't want the game to have a competitive scene like Brawl, it was pretty shit and died out compared to Melee and 64, Project M will probably end up lasting longer than Brawl despite the fact that a new official Smash game is coming out.

Generally when I say "competitive" I mean "The good kind of competitive", that 64 and Melee had going, I generally view the Brawl competitive scene as a bit of a sham honestly, like trying to cross the ocean on a boat full of holes that they stuck a load of plasters on.

I don't remember it ever being taken seriously, that's part of the reason I ended up jumping ship (and regrettably, not taking up competitive Melee). If anything it held the entire Smash scene back because it divided up the player base. It was after Brawl died and Melee was coming back around that Smash started building up to the point it's at now. At least from what I remember.

64 was always that extra-hardcore game on the side where people would try and fail to beat sandbagging Isai.

FSLink

Banned
Not sure if anyone's noticed yet but Mega Man's Nair (the jumping shots) actually has decent knockback when you shoot it when you're right on top of someone -- so it somewhat works like a normal aerial, but only when your shooting arm is right on top of a character. His jab and Ftilt do not seem to do this, though.

I should also mention that Mega Man's bullets are really good for jab locks (actually, as this point, I'd almost prefer to call 'jab locks' in this game jab resets just because that's their only use now -- you can't lock people anymore) and they give you plenty of time to charge up a fully powered Fsmash as they're forced to get up.

Yeah this has been found. Pretty situational though, I'd rather use fair or bair instead.

Blizzard

Banned
As a lame NA person who doesn't own a Japanese 3DS, I don't have much to contribute here. But since I was talking about it a bit earlier, I'll update my earlier talks about wanting a grip for my XL after playing the demo. I went with the CYBER grip. Overall, it's a lot better. My one complaint is that I feel like even though it makes the circle pad and face buttons infinitely more comfortable, it makes the L and R buttons harder to reach. Here's a screen shot of the back I swiped off of a Google Image search:

qPn9YBx.png

See where I've circled? If this thing had added some sort of complicated mechanism to make those the actual shoulder buttons, this thing would be perfect. As is, I have to rest my middle finger up there so that my index finger has easy access. It works, but it's not the way I'd have liked it. Alternatively, I can leave my middle finger on the back of the pad next to my ring and pinkie fingers, but reaching the shoulder buttons is quite a stretch.

Overall, I'd say it's a huge improvement for the game. Much more comfortable having it than not. But it still doesn't magically transform the 3DS into being a controller I like using.
I have big hands and I also rest my middle fingers on the "fake triggers" or whatever you want to call those. I personally thought that was fine, though, since it emulates the feel of a 360 controller or similar. It may come down to preference, since I don't mind using my index fingers on the 3DS XL triggers.

I will say that it VASTLY reduces hand pain, cramps, etc.

Next

when the fuck did 64 have any competitive scene? it was retroactively revived as a side event, and I mostly remember it being at apex honestly. Can't remember ever seing it at any other tournament (I didn't watch them all of course). How you generaly view Brawl competitive scene is irrelevant. I can easily find more acredited players, who are better than you at brawl and melee, and like it. That's just your oppinion, doesn't make it wrong, but doesn't make it fact either. Also you're blind if you think melee doesn't have its own plasters.

emb

I don't remember it ever being taken seriously, that's part of the reason I ended up jumping ship (and regrettably, not taking up competitive Melee). If anything it held the entire Smash scene back because it divided up the player base. It was after Brawl died and Melee was coming back around that Smash started building up to the point it's at now. At least from what I remember.

64 was always that extra-hardcore game on the side where people would try and fail to beat sandbagging Isai.
Brawl was actually pretty big for a while. It was featured at MLG, and got pretty hype whenever someone would manage to get an upset on M2K (usually at Apex).

Well at least some people are seeing my point. I didn't know the exact numbers earlier in the day, but from watching zero's stream, I could tell you he was consistently living 40% longer than his opponents which is why I was unhappy from the beginning. Nice to see that confirmed.

It doesn't matter if you want to be "casual" or "competitive", this is an overpowered mechanic in an otherwise very nice, well rounded game. Perhaps the rage mechanic will offset the power of VI/KBI somewhat. Until I heard of this mechanic, I felt smash 4 actually had a decent balance between defense and offense. People who wanted a new melee were just being unrealistic - I think this is actually the minority of "competitive" players.

----

For the record this is my favourite videogame series and I've followed it since the beginning. I've loved the whole series and spent the most hours on brawl despite disliking its shift to defensive play. Regardless of how VI affects the game, I will be spending a long time on the new smash.

I love the new ledge mechanics, I think the speed is a reasonable balance between melee and brawl and I like the buffs to the ground game. I know others are more negative, but I think off stage play will be interesting this game and, characters permitting, people will not simply be safe and wait on the stage, even in a 2 stock battle. Also the cast look surprisingly balanced which is a feat in itself with a roster as large and varied as this (villager, link and ZSS are the only outliers so far IMO).

Spent several hours on the demo today and I'm looking forward the full game :) Villager is my favourite of the demo selection for his bizarre move set but I think he's going to be a pretty bad character unfortunately. His moves don't flow particularly well together, he has few reliable KO moves and even less ways to initiate these KO moves. VI/KBI is just a kick in his face lol.

Brawl was actually pretty big for a while. It was featured at MLG, and got pretty hype whenever someone would manage to get an upset on M2K.

lmao

yeah Brawl peaked around 2010 or so, but by 2013 Melee had passed it and then it sort of....collapsed really quickly for a game that didn't have a successor coming out anytime soon

johnbone

A game doesn't have to be complex to be competitive.

This is true. The word "competitive" is often used by the community to mean "high skill ceiling, fun to spectate" when in reality it means "can be played as a contest where skill is rewarded." Almost anything can be competitive, but not every competitive game is "fun" to spectate. I think this enjoyment of watching is what people really want, and it's why people worry about surviving "too long" or the game being "too defensive." Brawl, for example, was a fun competitive game to play, but could be boring to watch for many people. People don't want smash 4 to be like that, and that's why we're getting so paranoid about new, largely untested mechanics-we want to love the game, but are afraid of the unknown.

In reality, though, it is what it is, and we must adapt instead of judging a game preemptively.

Lord Phol

Well, I'm not sure how I can even respond to this point by point considering how wrong or nonsensical they are. I guess the whole point of your post is that the game's not for people who enjoy 1v1, no items. Which falls apart when you consider Nintendo themselves hosted a 1v1, no items, Battlefield only tournament. That's an even stricter ruleset than the grassroots community uses. Then there's also the matter of putting all that time and effort into For Glory. I don't know what to tell you if you think Sakurai is trying to tell us that the game actually ISN'T for people who play like this when he's going to great lengths by Nintendo standards to include them.

I'm pretty much done here for a while since I'm tired of all this casual vs competitive crap. It's crazy how much some casuals care about competitive players daring to post that they're disappointed in some aspect of the game. It doesn't affect you. If you see someone openly cursing the heavens and calling for Sakurai's blood because of VI feel free to mock them though. I'll be playing some 2 player 2 CPU FFA with items in the demo.

Well of course we can't have a proper discussion if you just keep quoting my original post, ignoring parts of it and my follow-up post.
I can say this though, the reason I posted that first post was in fact because of the people (not everyone, and nowhere have I said say that all competitive players are bad people) who tend to be super negative about every new thing discovered in smash 4 just because it doesn't cater to their needs, and so goes on a Sakurai hating rampage. Not that I particularly care for him but because I think it's shitty behaviour and stupid.

GreenLiquid

Neo Member
Maybe I'm mistaken since I'm not a tournament-involved Smash player, but I thought the worry with vectoring/VI was less about people simply living longer (since match parameters can be adjusted to make up for that) and more about the prospect of a greater proportion of each stock being devoted to neutral approach mix-ups, which makes things a lot less complex and interesting than what we've been seeing on streams the past few days.

Heck, even as someone who's not all that good at the game, the idea of the game once again involving Brawl levels of approach mix-ups that reset advantage is discouraging. I think it's understandable that a lot of tournament fans were entertained and excited by all of the high-action streaming going on over the past week and are now dismayed to find that a new technique could basically undo all of that. It's like being so close to a game designed to your sensibilities that you can smell it, and then suddenly it's yanked away. I really can't blame anyone for being worried or upset about VI. :/

Revven

Yeah this has been found. Pretty situational though, I'd rather use fair or bair instead.

Oh yeah, of course. I wasn't suggesting to use it over Fair or Bair, just that it could have its uses. Kind of like if you're in a situation where you know you're close enough to your opponent that doing Nair could break you out of a combo or something. The knockback is decent enough to do that, as far as what I could tell.

JoeInky

when the fuck did 64 have any competitive scene? it was retroactively revived as a side event, and I mostly remember it being at apex honestly. Can't remember ever seing it at any other tournament (I didn't watch them all of course). How you generaly view Brawl competitive scene is irrelevant. I can easily find more acredited players, who are better than you at brawl and melee, and like it. That's just your oppinion, doesn't make it wrong, but doesn't make it fact either. Also you're blind if you think melee doesn't have its own plasters.

Of course Melee has plasters, but atleast that boat floats and is interesting to watch, whilst Brawl just sinks as a load of people bail water out and say "S-see, our boat floats too!".

Blizzard

Banned
Of course Melee has plasters, but atleast that boat floats and is interesting to watch, whilst Brawl just sinks as a load of people bail water out and say "S-see, our boat floats too!".
That seems like a mean generalization / mockery to make -- why do that? :(

johnbone

Maybe I'm mistaken since I'm not a tournament-involved Smash player, but I thought the worry with vectoring/VI was less about people simply living longer (since match parameters can be adjusted to make up for that) and more about the prospect of a greater proportion of each stock being devoted to neutral approach mix-ups, which makes things a lot less complex and interesting than what we've been seeing on streams the past few days.

Heck, even as someone who's not all that good at the game, the idea of the game once again involving Brawl levels of approach mix-ups that reset advantage is discouraging. I think it's understandable that a lot of tournament fans were entertained and excited by all of the high-action streaming going on over the past week and are now dismayed to find that a new technique could basically undo all of that. It's like being so close to a game designed to your sensibilities that you can smell it, and then suddenly it's yanked away. I really can't blame anyone for being worried or upset about VI. :/

Fortunately, from what we've seen so far, it seems that VI's impact in the low-medium range combo game won't be nearly as drastic as its effect on survivability. Let's hope this holds true.

Lord Phol

I'm really Sorry about that!

Oh, no man YOU didn't spoil anything with that image. I just meant that I haven't actually seen how that particular fight plays out yet so I'm looking forward to it. I have seen the actual boss on stream, but I've always tabbed away as not to spoil the rest :p.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Well, it does at least look like the impact of VI is minimal at lower percents. The problem is at higher percents where it takes too long to finish a stock without a gimp or meteor or something.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Not getting the 3DS version?

Of course, I'm still picking up this game. I'm just concerned about my hands not being comfortable with 3DS. I can't really doing very well as I did for consoles' smash games. I'm concerned about my ability to get 100% complete for Smash 3DS. We will see.

Yeah my hands seem not adjusting very well as I would like it to.

Beats

It's not only to reduce your knockback though. You can use the mechanic to increase your knockback too. Why is it a good addition when considering all the other defensive options the game has, the recoveries being mostly buffed across the board and edge hogging being removed? It's excessive to add this mechanic on top of this and it's far too strong. Watching ZeRo's stream makes this apparent as he's able to live much, much longer because of this one mechanic.

I'm still looking forward to the game despite my complaint about this, but I can't say that this hasn't put a damper on my excitement.

johnbone

Brawl had plenty of complexity and competitiveness, it just wasn't always fun to watch. I think your bias is showing big time here.

FSLink

Banned
Well of course we can't have a proper discussion if you just keep quoting my original post, ignoring parts of it and my follow-up post.
I can say this though, the reason I posted that first post was in fact because of the people (not everyone, and nowhere have I said say that all competitive players are bad people) who tend to be super negative about every new thing discovered in smash 4 just because it doesn't cater to their needs, and so goes on a Sakurai hating rampage. Not that I particularly care for him but because I think it's shitty behaviour and stupid.
Stop giving attention to such a tiny part of the competitive community then.

Timeaisis

I should also mention that Mega Man's bullets are really good for jab locks (actually, at this point, I'd almost prefer to call 'jab locks' in this game jab resets just because that's their only use now -- you can't lock people anymore) and they give you plenty of time to charge up a fully powered Fsmash as they're forced to get up.

Interesting. I'll need to try this.

Hatchtag

Banned
Honestly, the equipment seems like it could be a great way to make the game much more offense oriented. You can build your character around a certain stat, or just use it to flat out increase stats with no losses. It might make the game a bit less predictable, but at the same time, it could definitely be used to make the matches quicker and more offense-oriented.

JoeInky

That seems like a mean generalization / mockery to make -- why do that? :(

It probably was a bit over the top, but it's my general opinion of the Brawl competitive scene, they tried to make the game something it clearly wasn't designed to be and it is nowhere near as interesting to spectators, but you'll still have people saying it's just as good when it clearly isn't/wasn't.

FSLink

Banned
Honestly, the equipment seems like it could be a great way to make the game much more offense oriented. You can build your character around a certain stat, or just use it to flat out increase stats with no losses. It might make the game a bit less predictable, but at the same time, it could definitely be used to make the matches quicker and more offense-oriented.
Equipment is even more random to obtain than custom moves, a lot have broken after effects, and some have ridiculous stat boosts. I doubt it'd ever be a standard.

emb

Of course, I'm still picking up this game. I'm just concerned about my hands not being comfortable with 3DS. I can't really doing very well as I did for consoles' smash games. I'm concerned about my ability to get 100% complete for Smash 3DS. We will see.

Yeah my hands seem not adjusting very well as I would like it to.
I really kinda worry that the wait from the 3DS release until the Wii U release is gonna be kinda frustrating. It's like... it's here in my hands, but I can't really play yet. Like the controls are just taunting me.

Josephl64

For link last night, I was missing 5 of his 8 custom moves. With Link, I did classic 3 times at lvl 9, trying to always land on custom moves on the roulette (died a few times bringing my end difficulty to 8/8.5, losing a couple of random custom equipment pieces), and then did trophy rush 5 times (2.5 minutes each time), and I got them all.

Took about an hour. I also think I got lucky.

Ah thanks for the tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom