• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
There are plenty of websites that cater to fetishes like that. Don't think I can post them here...

I didnt know that you were into that kind of things.

Nah, getting 4/5 stocks on level 9 cpus is not that hard cause they are exploitable, Just keep playing until the controls feel more untuitive, and mess around with the control options once you have the full game.

I can exploit them but I kept messed up my execution for walking/running and utilt/smash. I'm getting better with shield and grab tho.

Roo

Test Information​

Attack: Mario's (fresh) Usmash, fully charged
Hitting: Link
Stage: Final Destination form Battlefield
Testing: Affect of Vector Influence on Survival
Mario's Percent: 0%

Results​

No Vector Influence: Link dies at exactly 83%
Upward VI: Link dies at exactly 70%
Downward VI: Link dies at exactly 122%

holy fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Difference is huge D:

Anura

I take Street Fighter as a example:
If SF designers would be listening to the players, we would probably be stuck in SF Turbo II.
Same goes to SF:3rd -> Street Fighter 4. Players adapted to the new mechanics.

It seems like the melee scene just don't want to develop/adapt to new skills.

I went from wavedashing to using DACUS, Setting up combos with throws to IC chaingrabs, Being offensive to being campy, Going offstage to kill to going off stage to stall. Don't assume things. I gave Bawl a shot and adapted to it's changes and still didn't like it. Get out of here with that BS

Lunar15

If SF designers would be listening to the players, we would probably be stuck in SF Turbo II.

The changes made in those games were always made with a purely competitive scene in mind. The removal or addition of some mechanics were still built around high-skill execution.

The changes being made in smash games are usually to facilitate a wider audience, often in a way that makes it easier for less skilled players to remain alive and have a chance to gain at least some kills.

Now, nt his instance i'm not complaining that this is a bad thing. I'm just pointing out that there's some flaws to your assumption there.

ffdgh

Difference is huge D:

It gets better! :D
http://smashboards.com/threads/vect...uence-in-smash-4.368780/page-22#post-17614861

Main Test Revisit: Uncharged Edition​
Test Information
Attack: Mario's (fresh) Usmash, not charged

Results: Link
No Vector Influence: Link dies at exactly 126%
Upward VI: Link dies at exactly 108%
Downward VI: Link dies at exactly 178%

Disclaimer: I'm not jumping on the doom train. Just posting smash boards findings.

Roo

Could have swore I've seen some good quality Dark Pit recently. Or do you want White Pit absolutely?

He wants hairy pit tho..

Test Information

Well.. that's... damn. So what happens now? :O

Azure J

Has anyone found all of Ike's custom moves as yet? I'm weirdly enough wondering why I can't find a complete list of his moves anywhere.

georly

Test Information

For me, that just means you shouldn't do an upsmash until they're at above 178% then (unless you can follow it up w/ something). Always assume perfect VI.

This game just has longer stocks, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's just different.

We'll see how that transfers over into viewership.

shaowebb

Dat Rage Effect

This changes so much. Take more damage inflict more knockback as well as get knocked further yourself. Having a Mario at 70% will let you KO a Bowser at 130% where a Mario at 0% could not KO him? Oh man this is gonna make things faster and more brutal. I've gotta start smash fishing eaaaaaaaarly with my Ganondorf now.

Popnbake

To those with the game, how is Lucina compared to Marth?

Is her 'entire sword=same damage' better than Marth's 'sword tip=highest damage' style of play?

It's just that though, an opinion. Plenty of people have another, different opinion.

they tried to make the game something it clearly wasn't designed to be

as did melee before.

I would agree that melee is more suited for competitive play. That's never been the issue. This discussion came about because of people like you talking as if brawl never had a scene, or that it wasn't taken seriously.

It was mentioned that Melee was aimed for the hardcore crowd but Sakurai regretted the decision and stated he won't make the same type of game again.

Brawl had a pretty dedicated competitve community which I've seen in the Florida area one/two? years ago.

Smash 3DS/Wii U should have no problems having that.

johnbone

Test Information

I really want to see the effect the rage mechanic has on these stats.

Also, do remember that Link is one of the heaviest characters, and so the snowball effect from gravity enhancing VI will be near maximum. In other words, this is a worst-case scenario.

emb

There's my "roster". I'm still a little iffy on some of the choices in it, the last few being ones I'm more interested in just trying out rather than actually playing them seriously. I am going to try every newcomer once regardless but the ones on that roster are the ones I'm probably going to be using.

I put my veteran mains at the front but I don't think they'll stay that way for very long, it's very possible I'll main a newcomer and then my secondaries will be vets or something.

Beyond that, those are the characters I'm looking to possibly dig into.
Revven pls, now you make me want to go back and make one of those.

svkdzOK.png

Sheik is looking really strong lately. I love the way she can run around and get fairs off in a way that looks pretty safe. Both uair and bouncing fish seem like good KOs too, and I'm guessing/hoping that bair/nair/fair are competent for off edge gimps too.

Greninja just looks fast in general, and a lot of his moves seem to have good power or big hitboxes. And he's cool in Pokemon, so I already like him.

Robin seems to have good zoning with tomes, strong attacks with the sword, and some other things that are neat gimmicks.

Shulk is mainly here because I like Xenoblade. The damage Monado mode looks cool, but he seems like more of a slow hit and run character. I'm really curious to try him.

Bowser Jr. is kinda the wild card here. I don't know much about how he plays, but he seems like his attacks all have a lot of range or big disjoints. And there are so many good costumes to choose for him.

Marth is my character from Melee, so I'll probably still use him from time to time. He looks like he has a lot of extra lag on his moves (and felt sluggish at Best Buy too), so I don't know that I'll stick with him.

Puff seems like she might be very well suited to this game, with all the aerial mobility she has to attempt off stage chases. Am I crazy there? I dunno. She might have too hard a time on stage for it to even matter.

Then Mario's up there just because he's so fun in the demo. Everyone knows about that by now. :p

Honorable mentions to Dedede and Metaknight, who I'm just curious about.

OceanBlue

I don't agree. Only adding mechanics on player feedback != players critiquing mechanics. No one is saying that new games should play exactly like old games. I think people would say that taking out random damage and adding throw teching are good changes to Street Fighter and that changing throws from from one button to two buttons is questionably good. That said, new mechanics aren't good just because they're new. People are talking about and critiquing new mechanics to understand the impact they have on the game.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

mStudios

I went from wavedashing to using DACUS, Setting up combos with throws to IC chaingrabs, Being offensive to being campy, Going offstage to kill to going off stage to stall. Don't assume things. I gave Bawl a shot and adapted to it's changes and still didn't like it. Get out of here with that BS
Thank you

The changes made in those games were always made with a purely competitive scene in mind. The removal or addition of some mechanics were still built around high-skill execution.

The changes being made in smash games are usually to facilitate a wider audience, often in a way that makes it easier for less skilled players to remain alive and have a chance to gain at least some kills.

Now, nt his instance i'm not complaining that this is a bad thing. I'm just pointing out that there's some flaws to your assumption there.

And it's totally understandable. However, I didnt explain my point that well.
What i want to say is, its too early to decide whether or not sm4sh will be viable competitively. There's a lot to discover (see the "rage" effect"), and a lot to adapt.

I don't agree. Only adding mechanics on player feedback != players critiquing mechanics. No one is saying that new games should play exactly like old games. I think people would say that taking out random damage and adding throw teching are good changes to Street Fighter and that changing throws from from one button to two buttons is questionably good. That said, new mechanics aren't good just because they're new. People are talking about and critiquing new mechanics to understand the impact they have on the game.

Some people are hating the new ledge mechanics and its their right to say what they like or not, because its their opinion.
However, we just cant go and say the game wont be viable competitively, when probably the new ledge mechanics are more a good (stop camping the ledge!) and a bad thing.

Anura

To those with the game, how is Lucina compared to Marth?

Is her 'entire sword=same damage' better than Marth's 'sword tip=highest damage' style of play?

It was mentioned that Melee was aimed for the hardcore crowd but Sakurai regretted the decision and stated he won't make the same type of game again.

Brawl had a pretty dedicated competitve community which I've seen in the Florida area one/two? years ago.

Lucy feels like she might be better thanks to her higher speed and still doing good damage despite the lack of sweet spot. They both feel a lot worse than before though

Next

I doubt Sakurai had any idea of what competitive melee would end up being. And what I said is true, there are rules in place to make sure the game can be competitive, it's not inherent to the design.

Yes, I definitely feel that Shulk is the last newcomer trailer we'll get.

Here's hoping we get a cool CG intro for the Wii U version!

Oh yeah, are there any FMVs in the 3DS game? I don't remember seeing any footage of it. I know they use them for the Wii U version.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Lucy feels like she might be better thanks to her higher speed and still doing good damage despite the lack of sweet spot. They both feel a lot worse than before though

This is so frustrating.

It seems like every other comment I read is the opposite, one says she's the exact same aside from her hitboxes. The next says she is a little different/faster/whatever.

So she actually is faster?

jorgejjvr

I doubt Sakurai had any idea of what competitive melee would end up being. And what I said is true, there are rules in place to make sure the game can be competitive, it's not inherent to the design.

Sakurai even said he regrets what happened with melee

Anura

Thank you

And it's totally understandable. However, I didnt explain my point that well.
What i want to say is, its too early to decide whether or not sm4sh will be viable competitively. There's a lot to discover (see the "rage" effect"), and a lot to adapt.

Some people are hating the new ledge mechanics and its their right to say what they like or not, because its their opinion.
However, we just cant go and say the game wont be viable competitively, when probably the new ledge mechanics are more a good (stop camping the ledge!) and a bad thing.

Let me just say the game does feel competitively viable. This doesn't mean all the mechanics are good automatically and just need to be adjusted to. We don't even know if these things are that bad yet but we are discussing and airing our concerns. Few people are even saying these mechanics are the end of this games viability but are instead saying "these things are bad and here is why". Stop telling us to accept and adapt. Tell us WHY we should except and adapt and why these things are good.

Let me also just say from experience that killing without gimps or spikes is very hard in this one. DHD is an already campy character but even worse is how hard it is to kill him off stage. Living to crazy percents is common and up smashes almost never kill.

Revven

It only becomes a question then if you would be fine with:

Having a comp. scene at all that's smaller than what Melee has recently been bringing itself up to be (see: insane growth in tournament entrants, even bigger than Brawl has ever gotten to even when it was first released)

or

Having a comp. scene that is potentially bigger than or equal to Melee's current size, essentially doubling the total amount of players at a single event both games are being hosted at (imagine seeing 500 players for Melee and then 500 players for Smash 4, for example).

It's not so much a question of if Smash 4 will have a competitive scene at all though, it's a question if it can retain the momentum Melee has been running on and exceed it to then retain the growth over the next year and beyond. Which we obviously can't predict right now, but if the direction of the game goes south in most players' minds then it will be harder to retain those numbers and tournament attendance will drop like a rock.

Most people want to retain this momentum and want Smash 4 to succeed to keep this momentum and make the competitive community thrive. The community at large sort of lives or dies based on Smash 4's long-term performance. And that's why some or most people are so heavily concerned with the things being discovered right now. Like, it's this stuff + concern with tournament time + concern with spectators' points of view on the game if it winds up being a "slower" game all combined that makes me people act the way they are.

Let me just say the game does feel competitively viable. This doesn't mean all the mechanics are good automatically and just need to be adjusted to. We don't even know if these things are that bad yet but we are discussing and airing our concerns. Few people are even saying these mechanics are the end of this games viability but are instead saying "these things are bad and here is why". Stop telling us to accept and adapt. Tell us WHY we should except and adapt and why these things are good.

Let me also just say from experience that killing without gimps or spikes is very hard in this one. DHD is an already campy character but even worse is how hard it is to kill him off stage. Living to crazy percents is common and up smashes almost never kill.

Thank god I'm a ness main. I'll always have my back throw

Anura

This is so frustrating.

It seems like every other comment I read is the opposite, one says she's the exact same aside from her hitboxes. The next says she is a little different/faster/whatever.

So she actually is faster?

Her run speed is a little faster but her attacks are not.

OceanBlue

Tell us WHY we should except and adapt and why these things are good.

Well, you should accept and adapt to bad mechanics if you think it's worth playing the game despite the bad mechanics. :p

Not that I know whether these are bad mechanics or not. I'm just a casual in the end lol. I just want to play Lucina.

Roo

Is there a place where I can find a list of the Brawl/Melee stages used by the 3DS version?

So far, Wii U only used:

- (Brawl) Halberd
- (Brawl) Castle Siege

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Her run speed is a little faster but her attacks are not.

Interesting difference. Still doubt I'll main her or Marth after the nerfs (especially with ZSS buffed and Falcon potentially good again) but after all the impressions it seems like she's the better option between the two, even for someone with Marth experience.

Dimmle

Nope, there's no cutscenes whatsoever in smash 3DS.

wait for no cutscenes in Smash Wii U and riot

As a high level "casual" Smash player, I'm pretty into the introduction of VI. It's the way I've instinctively played since Smash Bros. 64 anyway and we already know that Smash 4 has a very different flow compared to previous games.

Lunar15

Anyone got any good Ike impressions? I've heard he's been a popular character, but also that he hasn't changed much. Just curious if any streamers have uploaded any stuff on him.

While I love Ike, I'm not sure I'll be using him much this time around. Too many other people I want to try out! ZSS was my main in brawl and sounds even better, Palutena sounds really interesting, and hell, even Duck Hunt has won me over.

Berordn

Is there a place where I can find a list of the Brawl/Melee stages used by the 3DS version?

So far, Wii U only used:

- (Brawl) Halberd
- (Brawl) Castle Siege

• (M) Brinstar
  • (M) Corneria
  • (M) Jungle Japes
  • (B) Distant Planet
  • (B) Green Hill Zone
  • (B) Mushroomy Kingdom
  • (B) Yoshi's Island
  • (B) WarioWare Inc.
  • (B) Flat Zone 2

Anura

Anyone got any good Ike impressions? I've heard he's been a popular character, but also that he hasn't changed much. Just curious if any streamers have uploaded any stuff on him.

While I love Ike, I'm not sure I'll be using him much this time around. Too many other people I want to try out! ZSS was my main in brawl and sounds even better, Palutena sounds really interesting, and hell, even Duck Hunt has won me over.

I think his fair got a range nerf and it also feels like it's hit box is out longer. Jabs are still great and his up B still sucks. Eruption finally got blue fire!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom