• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone got any good Ike impressions? I've heard he's been a popular character, but also that he hasn't changed much. Just curious if any streamers have uploaded any stuff on him.

While I love Ike, I'm not sure I'll be using him much this time around. Too many other people I want to try out! ZSS was my main in brawl and sounds even better, Palutena sounds really interesting, and hell, even Duck Hunt has won me over.

I think his up special got a pretty good custom that gives him better horizontal recovery. So that's nice, you can actually get back to the stage from below at an angle.

georly

• (M) Brinstar
  • (M) Corneria
  • (M) Jungle Japes
  • (B) Distant Planet
  • (B) Green Hill Zone
  • (B) Mushroomy Kingdom
  • (B) Yoshi's Island
  • (B) WarioWare Inc.
  • (B) Flat Zone 2

I'd consider flatzone 2 an entirely new stage. Base is the same, but all the transformations are different.
You're thinking of Pictochat 2, Flat Zone 2 is direct from Brawl.
I'm dumb, thanks

Confused about the return of Castle Siege. Did people like that stage?

I like the first form of it...

Ropaire

Banned
This must have been asked before, but - having finally gotten my hands on the demo - I must know: for people with the full game, do you have the option of tweaking the controls? I'm very satisfied with how smooth and responsive the game seems, but I really would like to remap a few buttons that are driving my muscle memory crazy.

Anura

This must have been asked before, but - having finally gotten my hands on the demo - I must know: for people with the full game, do you have the option of tweaking the controls? I'm very satisfied with how smooth and responsive the game seems, but I really would like to remap a few buttons that are driving my muscle memory crazy.

Yeah, you can.

Revven

Confused about the return of Castle Siege. Did people like that stage?

I've never liked it and it's mainly because of how it "transforms". I've only liked the first form and third forms but even then it's not that great of a stage. I would have preferred Lylat Cruise, honestly, as a Brawl past stage for the Wii U.

But who knows, maybe the transitions will be better this time (I kind of doubt it considering how Reset Bomb Forest works... which uses the same exact loading transition walk-offs :/)

georly

I feel like 'You can remap controls in the full version' should be in the OP in bold, near the top.

But not change movement to d-pad (which apparently some people want? That's like aiming w/ the c-buttons in goldeneye vs using a second stick in modern shooters... why would you want to handicap yourself?)

*Duck Hunt Dog laugh*

Old laugh or new laugh?

If someone interviews sakurai, I want to know the decision for why he removed the classic laugh.

Roo

• (M) Brinstar
  • (M) Corneria
  • (M) Jungle Japes
  • (B) Distant Planet
  • (B) Green Hill Zone
  • (B) Mushroomy Kingdom
  • (B) Yoshi's Island
  • (B) WarioWare Inc.
  • (B) Flat Zone 2

Thank you guys.
So Smash 3DS has 34 stages, including retro.
Brawl ha 41 stages, including retro.
Wii U has (so far) 21 stages including retro.

I hope the Wii U version reaches for Brawl numbers when everything is said and done.

Lunar15

I think his up special got a pretty good custom that gives him better horizontal recovery. So that's nice, you can actually get back to the stage from below at an angle.

I saw the diagonal Aether, and it's a pretty big deal to me. One of Ike's problems is a lack of approach options, and being able to use Aether as an approach mixes up his options a bit. It also takes care of the fact that once you were below a certain point from the edge, he had zero chance of recovery. They should have let him attack out of quick draw, like in some brawl mods, but hey, I'll take what I can get.

He's my go to guy in FFA, that's for sure.

Azure J

I learned to win against Marth in Brawl. I will figure it out

My God, you have the patience of a saint.

Enjoy constantly being destroyed by Rosalina and Luma, fuck that character.

Speaking of RosaLuma, I was looking through her thread on Smashboards and saw that her neutral special customs gives her a Star Bit shot that persists a la Dormammu's Stalking Flare & speedy shots that go a good distance. Her Up B also has an offensive variant too?

Why is she so awesome? This game is seriously making it hard to attempt to stick to three main characters tops! :lol

Next

I'm enjoying the dash mechanics in the demo. With pikachu and mario you're able to return to neutral very fast when you let the initial dash end.

Azure J

I'm enjoying the dash mechanics in the demo. With pikachu and mario you're able to return to neutral very fast when you let the initial dash end.

That skid cancel thing someone linked to was so enlightening. I have all of my old school approach styles and options back just from that much. Even the limited selection of characters in the demo show a lot of potential just from messing with that.

Next

That skid cancel thing someone linked to was so enlightening. I have all of my old school approach styles and options back just from that much. Even the limited selection of characters in the demo show a lot of potential just from messing with that.

can you give me a link? I haven't seen it.

JoeInky

I hate Rosalina so much as a character as well, I was hoping she'd be really shit to make up for the fact that she can have two people on screen at once or that she'd be much harder to use effectively, but that really doesn't seem to be the case.

The game is never less enjoyable than when you're fighting a Rosalina player.

Okay. Just played the 3DS demo.

Hrm.

Playing this just makes me wish I could play it on the big screen with a proper controller.

I'm not sure how I feel about it. First, I wish I could change the controls.. so I'm uncomfortable with that, as is.. But the resolution is so low for having the camera zoomed out so far.

Initial impression: Does this need to exist? It seems competently constructed, but it sure feels limiting.
I know I am far in the minority, atleast on NeoGAF (not in the public tho because theres no way Smash WiiU outsells 3DS lol) but the 3DS to me is superior to the WiiU version in everyway imaginable.

The 3DS XL is so much better to hold and play on than the GC, Pro, and/or Gamepad controllers.
The 3D effect has always been better than some HD graphics.
The 3DS has sleep mode which alone puts it above the WiiU version. So quick to go back and play.
At the moment, 3DS has better stages. Tho of course this one remains to be seen if WiiU will have more and/or better stages.

This is of course, all my oppinion, but its always baffling to me when I see lots of people on here shitting on the 3DS version because of the possibility of it robbing WiiU of stages or Ice Climbers or whatever when the 3DS version is far and away the superior version in my eyes. Dunno why anyone would ever want to play on a console when theres a portable version of a game. Hell, I'm even debating not getting the WiiU version at the moment which is something I thought I'd never do, but I keep thinking whys should I get a $60 stage expansion pack when I could use that money on Tomadachi Life and Yoshi's New Island or Dangan Ronpa 2. The WiiU version just kinda seems pointless to me lol.

I am glad that whoever wants a console version can get a console version. But I have to ask myself if its worth if it to me just for some stages compared to nearly two other games...

*I love Smash tho so I will get the WiiU version for the stages within a few months. I was just talking about this year since theres so many other games I want. I do want that CN Soundttrack tho...:(

I hate her so much.

I hate Rosalina so much as a character as well, I was hoping she'd be really shit to make up for the fact that she can have two people on screen at once or that she'd be much harder to use effectively, but that really doesn't seem to be the case.

The game is never less enjoyable than when you're fighting a Rosalina player.

Rosalina already making people salty as fuck and we ain't even a week in yet!

hell yeah

Insaniac

any good Link user vids? I'm only playing the demo, but I have a lot of trouble vs pikachu because his low height makes jump attacks difficult to land on him

Formless

So I can assume with Castle Siege returning that means most of the tracks for that stage will come back as well, which means Colosseum will have all new tracks.

Lunar15

Remember those Lightning fans you were making fun of yesterday for loving such a bland character that everybody hates?

You are becoming like them now.

I've found Rosalina to be pretty popular, and at the very least, her games didn't tarnish a well loved and long standing franchise.

Revven

You can also shield to stop your run and not have to worry about letting go of the stick and dealing with the slight delay. Not really new to Smash but it's good to have it in the game still, at least.

RM8

Guys, is Luigi's fsmash still downright broken like in Brawl? I fear they might have nerfed it :( It's so glorious in 2v2 matches (my partner plays as DK, you can get insane KOs by throwing an opponent at Luigi's charged fsmash, lol).

emb

I know I am far in the minority, atleast on NeoGAF (not in the public tho because theres no way Smash WiiU outsells 3DS lol) but the 3DS to me is superior to the WiiU version in everyway imaginable.

The 3DS XL is so much better to hold and play on than the GC, Pro, and/or Gamepad controllers.
The 3D effect has always been better than some HD graphics.
The 3DS has sleep mode which alone puts it above the WiiU version. So quick to go back and play.
At the moment, 3DS has better stages. Tho of course this one remains to be seen if WiiU will have more and/or better stages.

This is of course, all my opinion, but its always baffling to me when I see lots of people on here shitting on the 3DS version because of the possibility of it robbing WiiU of stages or Ice Climbers or whatever when the 3DS version is far and away the superior version in my eyes. Dunno why anyone would ever want to play on a console when theres a portable version of a game. Hell, I'm even debating not getting the WiiU version at the moment which is something I thought I'd never do, but I keep thinking whys should I get a $60 stage expansion pack when I could use that money on Tomadachi Life and Yoshi's New Island or Dangan Ronpa 2. The WiiU version just kinda seems pointless to me lol.

I am glad that whoever wants a console version can get a console version. But I have to ask myself if its worth if it to me just for some stages compared to nearly two other games...

*I love Smash tho so I will get the WiiU version for the stages within a few months. I was just talking about this year since theres so many other games I want. I do want that CN Soundttrack tho...:(
I feel the exact opposite about how it is holding them. I always get uncomfortable if I play my 3DS or XL for long periods of time. Same for all the handhelds I've played recently actually. Could be that I'm just old I guess. Anyway, on the flip side, the GCN pad feels like joy molded into the shape of a controller.

I agree that stereo 3D is better than HD, for sure. But at the end of the day, neither really matter to me. As long as it plays well, give it to me in 2D at NES resolution, for all I care.

Sleep mode is nice, since it conserves battery on the go. On the Wii U though, I'll be playing at home, on a wired controller. So sleep mode for me is just walking away from the system/tv.

I haven't followed along real closely with the stages. All I know is that Magicant looks glorious, and I'm not even far enough in Earthbound to understand why I feel that way.

Converse to your statement, I don't really understand why anyone wants a portable version when a console version exists.

But hey, different strokes. I respect what you're saying, just (hopefully respectfully) mentioning why I disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom