• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffdgh

I forgot that peach still has the Daisy Alt.

AzLT0GE.png

Still not good enough for me to lie to myself and play as her.

Never again will we get melee daisy.

Its kind of demotiviating when every time you play a match with someone you lose. I'm 0-6 in real life now. Even people who just go the demo and haven't played in years (Skipped brawl) have kicked my ass, after I've played for like 30 hours and looked up a bunch of videos teaching techniques. My reaction times are just too slow and I can't anticipate anything.

Ah well. this is why I stay away from games that are fueled by competition like this. They're just so... competitive. The base line for average joe players is seemingly God-Tier from my perspective.

JoeInky

Goddammit guys you're going to make me choke on my rematch with Joelnly

When are we doing this, next time makai streams?

Also I completely forgot to save the replay of that Ness mirror match, damn.

And did he really say "Time to show this guy how to play Ness"? lol

emb

Its kind of demotiviating when every time you play a match with someone you lose. I'm 0-6 in real life now. Even people who just go the demo and haven't played in years (Skipped brawl) have kicked my ass, after I've played for like 30 hours and looked up a bunch of videos teaching techniques. My reaction times are just too slow and I can't anticipate anything.

Ah well. this is why I stay away from games that are fueled by competition like this. They're just so... competitive. The base line for average joe players is seemingly God-Tier from my perspective.
I was that way for a long time with Smash in general. Once I started playing my friends in real life, it turns out I wasn't nearly as good as I thought I should be.

But eventually, I had stuck with it long enough to start doing moderately well. The moments when I realized that those same old friends were just outclassed now were really satisfying.

JoeInky

Lol, whenever! I just assumed it was happening because everyone likes to talk about it. I'm on a walk right now but I'm almost home and we can do it then if you want

Honestly I'm not that bothered, but it would have been fun to do it on stream.

I'm guessing the VI and rage stuff is for people like you. And theres probably more people like you than not. Either way don't give up. Winning is fun,

Dimmle

I feel like this a lot with my local Smash group but try to not get too discouraged.

Brawl96

Hey, haven't been here in a while,
Can someone tell me what the specific differences between Dark Pit and Pit are? I'm not trolling, I really have no clue.

I'm guessing the VI and rage stuff is for people like you. And theres probably more people like you than not. Either way don't give up. Winning is fun,

So, by 'people like you' I guess you mean people who suck, lol. I'd prefer it as 'people who are average' though, and all the people who can win all the time are God Tier smash bros. players, just to make me feel better. :p

Yeah I know I'll keep trying but I've done this rodeo before with other competitive games, just to leave frustrated without any payoff from all those hours of practicing, most competitive people just have a whole different level of reaction times and IQ when playing these games that I don't think I'll ever be able to reach.

Can someone tell me what the specific differences between Dark Pit and Pit are? I'm not trolling, I really have no clue.
From my understanding:
His moves generally have more knockback and damage than Pit, but also have more endlag. (His FSmash is killer, especially)
His side B launches in an angled trajectory (45 degrees I believe?) instead of straight up. Not sure if Pit's has super armor because Dark Pit's does.
His arrows are faster and stronger, but much harder to control.
His up B has more distance but...less damage or something? Forgot.
Different final smash

That's all I know.

I forgot that peach still has the Daisy Alt.

AzLT0GE.png

Still not good enough for me to lie to myself and play as her.

They downgraded the hell out of that alt from Melee to Brawl. No flower pendant/earrings, still keeps Peach's gloves, and the dress design was kept as Peach's, just with an orange palette. Eugh. I would love for a true Daisy costume to be released via DLC for Peach.

Beats

Aw man you shouldn't give up! Hmm, maybe once the game comes out try finding someone that's more your skill level around here or somewhere?

Anura

I honestly enjoy losing to someone who is so much better than me. Obviously, I would prefer a close match but fighting an insane player is the next best thing. I learn something from those matches that I can take with me and apply it to the next game I have. Beating someone so bad that I'm like 3 stocks ahead just leaves me feeling like a jerk, lol.

Edit for Joel: My FC is 4940 5820 4761

Beats

I honestly enjoy losing to someone who is so much better than me. Obviously, I would prefer a close match but fighting an insane player is the next best thing. I learn something from those matches that I can take with me and apply it to the next game I have. Beating someone so bad that I'm like 3 stocks ahead just leaves me feeling like a jerk, lol.

I like to seek out tougher opponents as well, but sometimes when I'm losing really badly to someone else a lot I wonder if they're having any fun lol.

Aw man you shouldn't give up! Hmm, maybe once the game comes out try finding someone that's more your skill level around here or somewhere?

Hopefully. If the Mario Kart 8 GAF community was any indication I'm gonna get steamrolled by 99% of the people in this thread (Even by the people who think they're casual, but actually have a pretty good understanding of the game and can put up a a good fight compared to average joes like myself), so it might be hard.

emb

I honestly really both those scenarios, and the inbetween.

If it's a match I can win easily, it gives me a chance to show off, try silly options, and maybe offer advice.

If it's a legitimately even match, then of course it's intense right to the very end, testing you and leaving you in suspense until it's over.

And like you said, if you're the one getting stomped, it's a great learning opportunity.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.

Side-special: Electroshock Arm instead of Upperdash Arm. I think it has a more diagonal trajectory instead of upward with Pit's.
Neutral-special: Black/purple arrow instead of white/blue arrow. Isn't as maneuverable as much as Pit's arrow after it's shot.
Final Smash: Dark Pit staff instead of the Three Sacred Treasures. It's like Zelda's FS.
Also has different taunts.

Pretty much how I feel. Always feels like I'm learning something.

Revven

From my understanding:
His moves generally have more knockback and damage than Pit, but also have more endlag. (His FSmash is killer, especially)
His side B launches in an angled trajectory (45 degrees I believe?) instead of straight up. Not sure if Pit's has super armor because Dark Pit's does.
His arrows are faster and stronger, but much harder to control.
His up B has more distance but...less damage or something? Forgot.
Different final smash

That's all I know.

Side-special: Electroshock Arm instead of Upperdash Arm. I think it has a more diagonal trajectory instead of upward with Pit's.
Neutral-special: Black/purple arrow instead of white/blue arrow. Isn't maneuverable as much as Pit's arrow after it's shot.
Final Smash: Dark Pit staff instead of the Three Sacred Treasures. It's like Zelda's FS.
Also has different taunts.

If only we knew more about his normals (tilts, smashes, aerials, throws) but I imagine figuring out if there's differences there (if any, at all) will take some time since he's a new clone.

So, by 'people like you' I guess you mean people who suck, lol. I'd prefer it as 'people who are average' though, and all the people who can win all the time are God Tier smash bros. players, just to make me feel better. :p

Yeah I know I'll keep trying but I've done this rodeo before with other competitive games, just to leave frustrated without any payoff from all those hours of practicing, most competitive people just have a whole different level of reaction times and IQ when playing these games that I don't think I'll ever be able to reach.

Ha sorry I reread that and felt like an ass. I'm sure you're above average :). Also theres nothing like a good ass beating by god tier smashers for motivation. I didn't start wave dashing and L canceling and all that madness till I got rekt by friends of a friend. Good times.

Hopefully I just suck online so I can keep practicing. I'm hoping to regularly play other Gaffers so I can get good too. Yay for good online play finally
/hopefully

Edit for Joel: My FC is 4940 5820 4761

You're on my death list once the game releases over here. :3

georly

The new replay channel is such a God send.

I just wish i could export it somehow :/

Oh, it also has no fast forward/rewind feature :(

I hope wii U has an improved version, but i'm not counting on it. It's still miles ahead of what brawl provided, as far as match length (17 mins vs 3 mins) and which matches you can record.

emb

I just wish i could export it somehow :/

Oh, it also has no fast forward/rewind feature :(

I hope wii U has an improved version, but i'm not counting on it. It's still miles ahead of what brawl provided, as far as match length (17 mins vs 3 mins) and which matches you can record.
Even if the Wii U still only does simple playback, it'll still be a lot easier/cheaper to capture and upload it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom