• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

emb

Care to showcase said gif? Why isnt anyone talking about this..
Went back and found it for ya:
Something I noticed in Training mode
When paused, the models for the characters look great, but in motion they downgrade substantially (look at Mario's hands or Link's boots)
i9ybfkX15YPj4.gif

In bad quality pic form

But because the camera is so zoomed out during fights, we can barely notice it. Ignore me if old. I just thought it was an interesting thing Sakurai did. Models still look good either way.

NotLiquid

More Knockback data from Jaxas.

http://smashboards.com/threads/vect...uence-in-smash-4.368780/page-23#post-17617665

All tests performed on Link

Testing breaking out of the ZeRo combo​

• VI Down + VI Away + Mash R: At 1st Uair
  • VI Away + Mash R: At 1st Uair
  • VI Up + VI Away + Mash R: At 1st Uair
  • VI Up + Mash R: Last Utilt misses
Testing Meteor Smash Bounce on Stage Height​

• Up VI, 70%: Higher than No VI
  • No VI, 69%: Around Mario's jump height
  • Down VI, 69%: Around Mario's Short Hop height
  • Down VI on hit, No VI on bounce, 69%: Around Mario's Short Hop height

Consistent combos, at least Zero's Mario combo, does not seem particularly reliable depending on how lenient or predictable that window for inputting is.

jorgejjvr

Gamestop doing midnight release for smash bros 3ds

This news is from my local gamestop, they told me that they received an email that they will have a midnight release on October 2nd for the game, get hyped!!

Wanderer5

This news is from my local gamestop, they told me that they received an email that they will have a midnight release on October 2nd for the game, get hyped!!

Going to call the gamestop near me sometime next week, as they needed at least 75 preorders to do a midnight release, which they were pretty close to. Would be exciting to go to another midnight relase for SSB.:p

Mistle

Why isnt anyone talking about this..

Because the game looks fantastic, regardless whether it looks better zoomed in to a close up. There's not enough pixels on the screen for it to even be noticeable when zoomed out and in motion. I mean, perhaps some characters do have it worse than others (I've only played the demo), but it really seems like a non-issue to me.

It was either do this, or have the models looks worse all the time. There's not a scenario where the models looks better all the time.

Anth0ny

That's cool. Hopefully they do the same with Smash U. I need that GC adapter at midnight.

Am I off base for thinking that VI will lead to interesting mind games as it relates to combos? I understand people are concerned that people can VI out of "juggling" combos, but won't people eventually start being skilled enough predict VI and attempt to punish it?

Even better, couldn't you trick someone into VIing into the wrong direction by masking your intentions, such as throwing them left when they anticipate right? This could perhaps cause them to die sooner than they would have normally

It just seems like another game of cat-and-mouse to me. Right now the mouse is winning because the cat is unfamiliar with the house's layout, but it's only a matter of time before the cat catches on and starts setting up ambushes of its own

AdaWong

Went back and found it for ya:
Oh my, you are amazing! Really apreaciate it.

Very, very interesting! Models look good regardless, I'm still wondering how it literally doesn't even take a full second to load those 'detailed' models.

man if the regular 3DS is already maxed out to the point of chugging while doing anything else, later games will have to scale back or abandon it entirely

3DShovel

I know it's probably been asked a good bit, but how's the online holding up this time around? Hoping is a major step up from brawl, that's for sure.

StayDead

I know it's probably been asked a good bit, but how's the online holding up this time around? Hoping is a major step up from brawl, that's for sure.

I barely ever got a single game of Brawl which wasn't laggy. With Smash 4 I've only had a few out of 200 matches laggy even with Japanese players (I'm in the UK)

So it's much better.

johnbone

Am I off base for thinking that VI will lead to interesting mind games as it relates to combos? I understand people are concerned that people can VI out of "juggling" combos, but won't people eventually start being skilled enough predict VI and attempt to punish it?

Even better, couldn't you trick someone into VIing into the wrong direction by masking your intentions, such as throwing them left when they anticipate right? This could perhaps cause them to die sooner than they would have normally

It just seems like another game of cat-and-mouse to me. Right now the mouse is winning because the cat is unfamiliar with the house's layout, but it's only a matter of time before the cat catches on and starts setting up ambushes of its own

I see it this way for the most part, but I feel that the community has a huge love for "true" combos (ie combos within hitstun), and so people are concerned that VI will turn melee-style automatic combos into read-based strings.

Which one is preferable is up to the individual I guess.

AdaWong

So Lucina/Marth, Fox/Falco and Zelda/Sheik/Dark Pit are the only charcaters that share identical Final Smashes?

Although Zelda and Sheik's are slightly different (one launches vertically while the other horizontally)

Revven

I see it this way for the most part, but I feel that the community has a huge love for "true" combos (ie combos within hitstun), and so people are concerned that VI will turn melee-style automatic combos into read-based strings.

Which one is preferable is up to the individual I guess.

Er, you do know that a lot of the more famous Melee 'combos' involve reading the opponent's DI, right? It already worked this way before to some extent, but it's kind of bad to not have any guaranteed BnBs for KO moves such as (a Melee example) Dthrow > Knee or Sheik's Dthrow > Fair no matter how you DI the throw -- granted, those do eventually stop working at a certain % but not within the ranges it matters most.

Sakurai: Blast zones are too big they said, KIB sucks they said, I'll show them...

Pic of the Day. Patch 0.3 is out now. With this update, the blast zones are very close.
If a single pixel of your character goes of screen, KO.

Big One

Banned
So I was doing a bit of fantasy booking on Smash Bros. after my disappointment with the roster. don't worry, I find it mostly good, but I went with the idea of... If you had 49 spots to fill, what would you do with it? And this is the result...

n761pHw.png

This is my personal ideal situation for the most part but I'll explain some things about it that is not noticeable by this image:

- Ganondorf has a completely different moveset, however you can use his old moveset in the custom movesets if so desired.
- Diddy and Dixie are a tag team character. They appear on the screen together like the Ice Climbers, however they can tag each other in. Dixie Kong is a unique variation of Diddy Kong, in which she's unique in her ability to fly and use her ponytail in attacks. Their hitboxes are basically the same as are their normal movesets.
- Tranformations exist, however each transformation has their own Down+B. You can no longer transform with Down+B, but instead must press a button on the touch screen. You also tag in the Kongs with this method as well.
- Falco and Wolf are given different final smashes and variants on their movesets.
- Each of Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon has their own unique Final Smash.
- Lucas is in the game, but as an alt for Ness with the "Lucas" name.
- Dr. Mario is in the game, but as an alt for Mario with the "Dr. Mario" name.

Now with for the DLC characters...

8EQFxjm.png

DLC Pack 1 - Kid Icarus Pack: Includes playable Medusa, a new Kid Icarus stage, and a variety of new missions based off Kid Icarus.
DLC Pack 2 - Brawl Pack: Includes playable Snake and a variety of stages from Brawl.
DLC Pack 3 - Bayonetta 2 Bundle: Every copy of Bayonetta 2 you buy, digital or physical, has a code for the Bayonetta character and stage to be unlocked in Smash. Also, it includes stages from Melee.
DLC Pack 4 - Splatoon Pack: The final newcomer, the Inkling, revealed! Both male and female versions with a variety of different alternate costumes. Includes a Splatoon stage and stages from Smash 64.

What you think? Would you have rather had a roster like this instead? What would've been your revision of the roster under the guidelines that you ONLY had 49 slots to fill?

georly

Any port forwarding/etc i can do to try to improve my online connection? Even us players (like makai) thinks it's pretty bad to play w/ me :(

Violet_0

Banned
Sakurai: Blast zones are too big they said, KIB sucks they said, I'll show them...

Pic of the Day. Patch 0.3 is out now. With this update, the blast zones are very close.
If a single pixel of your character goes of screen, KO.

wait, did this actually happen (decreased blast zones)? I've been out of the loop for the last few days

johnbone

Er, you do know that a lot of the more famous Melee 'combos' involve reading the opponent's DI, right? It already worked this way before to some extent, but it's kind of bad to not have any guaranteed BnBs for KO moves such as (a Melee example) Dthrow > Knee or Sheik's Dthrow > Fair no matter how you DI the throw -- granted, those do eventually stop working at a certain % but not within the ranges it matters most.

Of course you had to read DI in melee! That's why I think people are overreacting to VI. The common complaint is that with VI, there is only one "proper" way to VI, and that's away to escape combos and inward to avoid the blast zones. However, if it truly becomes that standard, then the attacker should be able to read the VI and delay their next attack until after the opponent airdodges (if they airdodge). It becomes a read game-will your opponent air dodge or not, similar to the "which direction will my opponent DI" read game.

Stylo

Something I noticed in Training mode
When paused, the models for the characters look great, but in motion they downgrade substantially (look at Mario's hands or Link's boots)
i9ybfkX15YPj4.gif

In bad quality pic form

But because the camera is so zoomed out during fights, we can barely notice it. Ignore me if old. I just thought it was an interesting thing Sakurai did. Models still look good either way.

There was a similar effect in Melee. When your character is in the magnifying glass (out of the screen before the blast zone) the number of polygons decrease noticeably. Luigi in particular looks like a slightly improved 64 model.

Can't you use link side b (tornado) to cancel VI?

Edit: like you do side b first then do your combo and while the other player tries to do VI the tornando comes back and cancels it out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom