• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nose Master

Why are there so many smash threads ; ;? I am excited for smash brothering in a week.

Fuck it, I think this is the right thread:

It's not a huge deal, but Nintendo needs to knock it the fuck off with these limited uses on their demos. It makes even less sense because only the peasant version has the limit. They know god damn well people are just going to leave their 3DS' plugged in and on Smash for the entire week, so what's the point?

Cynosure

iv decided to not touch this demo again
the controls are so shit there's no point in training into it and then back out of it after 0ct3rd

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Alright GAF. I just downloaded the demo and I've never owned a Smash Bros before. Gimmie some tips so I don't get my ass beat.

Focus on A attacks instead of specials (B button). You don't want to be like Hamayama. Use all your jumps before using your special up-B to recover.

The demo comes with a how to play video that explains the basics. Basically start off getting used to the controls.

Where is it? I can't find it in the menu. Only tips.

Spam ALL THE BUTTONS!
don't do this unless you're playing with me when the game is released

Heh, I've been trying to find the controls but I don't know where they are.

Focus on A attacks instead of specials (B button). You don't want to be like Hamayama. Use all your jumps before using your special up-B to recover.

Thanks! Will do.

QT4vU5t.jpg

i get the impression that this isn't supposed to happen

i got g&w's all star mode trophy as a drop during classic mode

Am I the only one who thought the controls were actually better than they expected? Still nowhere near as nice as using a gamecube controller though, of course.

J@hranimo

Banned
Ok guys I have a question, and be honest here:

How do you guys feel about Link in this game? Like compared to other Smash games? I personally think it's the best he's been but my friend hates how he is in this game and thinks he's the worst of all the Smash games' Links. I blamed it on him being spoiled by Project M Link but after playing with him a lot in the demo I feel he'll be good. Do you guys think he's better than Brawl Link or worse and, do you think he's the best version?

Mistle

Yeah, I was expecting bad controls but they're actually second nature. Feels great.

Are people saying the controls are bad just people who haven't bothered to adjust to them?

NotLiquid

What is VI?

I don't really understand it.

Vector Influence (or Knockback Influence) is the term coined for a new mechanic where you can add "vectors" upon being hit (similar to DI, Directional Influence) which affect knockback value. What separates it from DI is that instead of just altering the angle you can literally affect the distance you travel upon knockback. While people were worried that it'd cripple combos, it's mostly showing it's effect in KO moves and vertical KO's have been hit by this pretty badly as a result of this discovery. There's a lot of concern that this mechanic exacerbates rounds that might already go on for too long.

It's still a very early discovery making it hard to say how much of an effect it will have and just how executable it is but some results have been cause for relative concern. Overall the lessened potency of vertical KO's seem to factor into Smash 4 having an overall larger focus on edge guarding and gimping compared to previous entries.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
I expected Lvl. 9's to be a lot harder from some of the impressions here, but I beat them most of the time. I blame it on the 3DS controls otherwise.

Villager is crazy at getting back on the stage.

Moonlight

Banned
Getting a lot better with gimping horizontal recoveries with Link's arrow. Can't really manage the crazy arc stuff, but I'm decent at timing the fully charged arrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom