• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceravic

How they fucked up Ness:

His Yo-Yo smashes (Dsmash and Usmash) have decreased range and the Yo-Yo no longer trails or has a hitbox during the charge of the smash, they're also much slower.

His Dair is harder to sweetspot than it's ever been, has more startup lag than it's ever had and has more landing lag than it's ever had.

His PK fire has massive amounts of endlag to the point where it's almost ended by the time you can move again, it doesn't activate on shield again either and it's very easy to DI out of and the hitbox is smaller.

PK thunder1 has increased knockback (big whoop) but it still doesn't go through people and the distance traveled by PK thunder2 isn't very far.

PK Flash is so, so slow at moving horizontally, it goes practically nowhere and takes forever to get there.

PSI Magnet still does nothing if the other player has no energy pojectiles.

His dtilt has a chance to cause a trip, but if it doesn't trip it causes neglible hitstun, useless move.

Fsmash can't be angled any more to use it as an edgeguard.

The only seemingly good things about him are his dash attack, ftilt, fair, nair, uair and possibly his side smash.

He's had a load of nerfs since Brawl, where he was already bad, and fuck all to compensate for it.

Trying to play Ness in For Glory is the biggest uphill struggle I've ever had in smash, especially against sheik, ugh.

I just don't understand it, I don't know who played Ness and thought "Yeah, this is good enough". They probably thought he was overpowered or something ridiculous as well, that's the thing that annoys me, that someone out there thought that this was actually a good excuse for a character.

Yes I'm mad, I fucking love Ness and they always make him complete dogshit but this isn't even good enough to be called that.

This is disconcerting. They're going to cut Lucas AND nerf Ness? What the fuck is Nintendo's problem with the Mother series?

Neiteio

They really did an awesome job with the alternative costumes in this game, damn.
They're not just costumes. Their name appears in the game, the announcer calls out their names, the audience chants their names, they have their own animations and voices, etc. It's amazing how much work went into the Koopalings. :)

Salsa

not really feeling Villager nor Megaman which were the characters I was most excited about :(

life of a mario grappler main continues

This is disconcerting. They're going to cut Lucas AND nerf Ness? What the fuck is Nintendo's problem with the Mother series?

They don't have one. If they did, Magicant wouldn't be the best stage ever.

Smash is balanced seemingly at random, every single game.

Moonlight

Banned
Anyone here tried Robin or Jigglypuff or Lucina and have some impressions? Been out for most of the day, so haven't really been able to catch up.

And can you disable bosses? That's kind of a big deal for me, since I'm definitely not gonna bother with Wily's Castle for more than a couple swings if Yellow Devil is mandatory.

oh ALSO what are the best streams available right now? I know there's Treehouse, but anything focusing on showing off characters/custom moves/etc?

Coketruck

First thoughts after playing the demo for about half an hour:

Link is back! He was my main in the first Smash and Melee, but I went to Snake in Brawl once I saw how nerfed he was there. This Link plays like Melee Link.

The 30 FPS for assist trophies is really noticeable. I got one with Ghirahim, and he looked like a slideshow compared to me and Mario jumping around.

The controls feel off to me. Y and X jump, B is special and A is smash. For some reason, I can't stop trying to jump with B and use specials with Y. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but another part of it is the slightly-cramped feeling of the 3DS (I've got a XL, but I've also got large hands). Another reason I'm really looking forward to the Wii U version.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit

Holy SHIT just listen to this

THAT MELEE REMIX

14090943087280lrvz.gif

Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick

Yo JP copy owners. I've always mained a Fire Emblem character. Which one is better in Sm4sh?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
There's equipment that does this?

In the Treehouse stream there was one that did the opposite, as a penalty to some good stats. The guys on the stream said the opposite one also exists, less lag in exchange for stat penalty.

Also I really don't like the idea of custom equipment, moves are fine but the equipment makes the game feel really janky imo.

I think that's fair for the speed one, really high speed ends up being more difficult to control than anything, and not super helpful. But the strength/defense ones seem okay. I imagine people would only create custom builds that actually feel good for them to use anyway.

Equipments would be way too much set up for tournaments, not too mention the variety would be way too big.

If it's a 3DS tournament it'd be trivial, everyone comes with their own system and their own pre-customized character builds. For a Wii U tournament I have the SUSPICION they may let you store a custom character in an Amiibo, not just a FP.

And is there a list of all currently known custom moves and their effects? Because that Samus one sounds really interesting.

No comprehensive list that I know of. Or rather, there are lists, but most of the moves are still unknown. The treehouse stream was probably one of the better blowouts we've had on that so far, and it only showed a couple for Yoshi and Samus.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
So I have noticed from the demo at least that when you go back to the 3ds's main menu the system completely reboots itself. Is this the first game to utalize practically all of 3ds's memory or were there other games that did this?

That SMB3 medley couldn't be sweeter to my ears, they actually chose my three favourite themes to compile together, Athletic is what you'd consider a given for a SMB3 medley but World 4 map and Hammer Bros as well? Too perfect for me.

I didn't think I needed another Rocket Barrel remix after Tropical Freeze delivered 5 more anyway but the one is Smash proves its worth, so jazzy.

This game is crazy smooth - can't believe it's running on the 3DS sometimes, it's gorgeous to boot. Just playing the demo, the controls are great and not as bad as way too many people are insisting they have to be before they even play it. Assist trophies are noticeably less smooth than everything else but I can't see myself staring at assists all that often so who cares? Even more excited for Oct 3rd now!

Also, Mega Man is MY MAN. Plays just how I want a Smash character to play; insanely fun to use. thank you nintendo for doing him the justice he deserves <3333

Ceravic

They don't have one. If they did, Magicant wouldn't be the best stage ever.

Smash is balanced seemingly at random, every single game.

Yeah, but it seems that Ness is always balanced near the bottom. The exception was 64, although I even see he's near the bottom of the tier list these days as well.

The Spanish announcer is awful, I feel like I'm playing Mario and Sonic at the Olympics, ugh.

Castillian spanish or latin american spanish?

The castillian spanish annoucer sounds like a german guy trying to speak spanish with a cold and bored to death (he is the same as brawls). And thats probably what he is, a german guy that knows spanish, because the european dubs were done by workers at NoE's german headquarters and not professional voice actors.

The surprising thing is that everyone hated it in brawl and someone there ihought it was a good idea to bring him back. Even worse when we got a really good dub for star fox 3ds and Layton vs Phoenix Wright. NoE can do better than this, that is what angers me most.

Anth0ny

Oh man, I just tried an online match.

I think that might be my last. It was better than Brawl. WAY better. But still not good enough for a competitive game, and I was playing for glory. It was pretty much like playing an SD game on an HDTV input lag.

I'm hoping I was just facing a Japanese player and it will be way better facing players from North America. Or my Internet just sucks.

javac

Just played the demo, I've come to the conclusion that I hate this. Seriously don't get it. Couldn't do my final smash, and the controls just confuse me. First time I've played smash but yeah not for me. Playing with my brother just pissed me off lol.

Aside from the novelty of the character I didn't think a whole lot of Duck Hunt going in

but WOW he is fun to play

Managing and setting off all his different projectiles is crazy. You can really control the screen with him.

Just played the demo, I've come to the conclusion that I hate this. Seriously don't get it. Couldn't do my final smash, and the controls just confuse me. First time I've played smash but yeah not for me. Playing with my brother just pissed me off lol.

The 3DS version controls like a hot pile of shit. If you can, try a real controller when the wiiU is released.

Smash can be surprisingly confusing for newcomers, specially in a non gamecube controller. All I can suggest is watch the How To Play (I think it's letting it sit on the title screen for a couple of minutes) that shows you the real basics, and then just moving around Battlefield with the AI at Lv.1 so you can get used to the controls.

3DShovel

Can anyone with the full game tell me how Ike is this time around? He was my main in Brawl.

Also, was lucky to get demo codes, and it's awesome. Link's great this time around, but Mario is even better I'd have to say. He's so well rounded as a character. I love Link's new dash attack, a real knock back move that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom