• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryce

They're not just costumes. Their name appears in the game, the announcer calls out their names, the audience chants their names, they have their own animations and voices, etc. It's amazing how much work went into the Koopalings. :)
They have their own animations?

Just played the demo, I've come to the conclusion that I hate this. Seriously don't get it. Couldn't do my final smash, and the controls just confuse me. First time I've played smash but yeah not for me. Playing with my brother just pissed me off lol.

You do your final smash by pressing the special button with no directional input

javac

The 3DS version controls like a hot pile of shit. If you can try a real controller when the wiiU is released.

Yeah I have a Wii U with two pro controllers so I'll give that a go when it comes out. I like the idea of the game and the presentation but man those controls and the demo itself are not friendly for new comers I think.

Anyone who has the game mind checking out one thing about Yoshi for me?

One of the things I heard was that his up air has a sweetspot effect similar to the Falcon Knee.

Would like to know if that's true or not.

Can anyone with the full game tell me how Ike is this time around? He was my main in Brawl.

Also, was lucky to get demo codes, and it's awesome. Link's great this time around, but Mario is even better I'd have to say. He's so well rounded as a character. I love Link's new dash attack, a real knock back move that's for sure.

Slightly faster than in Brawl. I watched some gameplay, and still hits hard but is too slow to do anything.

Kandinsky

Castillian spanish or latin american spanish?

The castillian spanish annoucer sounds like a german guy trying to speak spanish with a cold and bored to death (he is the same as brawls). And thats probably what he is, a german guy that knows spanish, because the european dubs were done by workers at NoE's german headquarters and not professional voice actors.

The surprising thing is that everyone hated it in brawl and someone there ihought it was a good idea to bring him back. Even worse when we got a really good dub for star fox 3ds and Layton vs Phoenix Wright. NoE can do better than this, that is what angers me most.

The former. Tbh this is the first Smash in spanish in LA so I'm not used to a spanish talking announcer, I ended up changing my 3DS language, cant stand him.

If you asked me that before the Mario Kart 8 DLC was announced I'd say no, but after they announced 16 new courses and 6 new characters for $11 for Mario Kart I'm sure they will.

I think the key point is that Wii U sales are still pretty sad, as our friends in the NPD and Media Create threads will tell you.

With few casual gamers and third party game to really set it alight, Nintendo's really gonna want to milk as much from their few AAA games as possible (Mario Kart, Hyrule Warriors, and this). It's a very different situation from Brawl, which came out when the Wii was at the peak of it's popularity.

I wish you could change the controls... I have never gotten used to X and Y being jump since almost every other Nintendo (and other devs honestly) game has that on A or B. I'm always so bad at learning Smash controls because I don't play it all that often except when friends are over, lol.

Reposting this in here, since the twitch thread is pretty inactive.

Custom moves (and potentially the stat-changing equipment) are going to be the defining core of this version of SSB, I am calling it now. There is SO much variation in how you can play now. Samus's melee charge shot changes her playstyle totally.

And if you're a guy obsessed with landing lag, stick on some equipment that lowers all landing lag, if you can handle the stat penalty you get elsewhere. Anyone can build a character that plays to their preferences, and they can all battle one another.

CUSTOM SMASH BROS GUYS, this is it, this is the era of custom Smash Bros.

Yup. It's all pretty incredible, especially if the competitive scene embraces it.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
How's Plautena gameplay wise? I see Shofu playing her a lot and he seems impressed.

javac

Smash can be surprisingly confusing for newcomers, specially in a non gamecube controller. All I can suggest is watch the How To Play (I think it's letting it sit on the title screen for a couple of minutes) that shows you the real basics, and then just moving around Battlefield with the AI at Lv.1 so you can get used to the controls.

I'm glad there's a demo on the title screen, I guess I should have waited since KI:U was similar. I was playing with my brother. He's played brawl but we're both newbies pretty much. I really hated using the circle pad, wouldn't the d-pad be better for this type of game? You float like a hot air balloon and the inclusion of two jump buttons confuses me. It's just way too fast paced, fumbling trying to actually hit someone and trying to pick shit up while a game on pong appears on the screen. Too much!

I'm glad there's a demo on the title screen, I guess I should have waited since KI:U was similar. I was playing with my brother. He's played brawl but we're both newbies pretty much. I really hated using the circle pad, wouldn't the d-pad be better for this type of game? You float like a hot air balloon and the inclusion of two jump buttons confuses me. It's just way too fast paced, fumbling trying to actually hit someone and trying to pick shit up while a game on pong appears on the screen. Too much!

Smash can be overwhelming at first since it's really unorthodox, but once it clicks it's an amazing series.
And Smash plays better with a Gamecube controller, which is why there was so much excitement over the announcement of the gamecube and adapter for Wii U.

javac

Smash can be overwhelming at first since it's really unorthodox, but once it clicks it's an amazing series.
And Smash plays better with a Gamecube controller, which is why there was so much excitement over the announcement of the gamecube and adapter for Wii U.

I guess I'll wait and see. Just felt like button mashing to me which I hate. I grew up with traditional fighting games like SF and Tekken which smash is not and I respect that, but I guess it feels weird since when I was playing it didn't feel like you had combos etc. Just attack and direction. Didn't help that my guy kept facing the wrong direction. D-pad would be a million times better :p

Smash isn't for me I guess. A shame since it feels like the whole world is enjoying it but what can ya do. I'll just stick to my platformers. I'm good at those! :p

watershed

Banned
What do we know about the control options for the 3ds? They showed the menu option in the stream but didn't click into it. Is it fully customizable?

I guess I'll wait and see. Just felt like button mashing to me which I hate. I grew up with traditional fighting games like SF and Tekken which smash is not and I respect that, but I guess it feels weird since when I was playing it didn't feel like you had combos etc. Just attack and direction. Didn't help that my guy kept facing the wrong direction. D-pad would be a million times better :p

Smash isn't for me I guess. A shame since it feels like the whole world is enjoying it but what can ya do. I'll just stick to my platformers. I'm good at those! :p

Smash is part platformer so...

Mecca

I've never played a smash game in my life. I downloaded the demo and I'm completely confused. Apparently having 0% at the end doesn't mean you win?

I've never played a smash game in my life. I downloaded the demo and I'm completely confused. Apparently having 0% at the end doesn't mean you win?

See

Smash can be surprisingly confusing for newcomers, specially in a non gamecube controller. All I can suggest is watch the How To Play (I think it's letting it sit on the title screen for a couple of minutes) that shows you the real basics, and then just moving around Battlefield with the AI at Lv.1 so you can get used to the controls.

Kansoku

They should let you customize the controls on the demo. My thumbs hurts trying to use A and B together. Otherwise, pretty damn amazing. Link great as always, loving Megaman, Villager is a little strange. Don't care about Mario or Pikachu.

Mecca

Thanks, OmegaSmash. I'll have to try that because right now I don't know what is going on. I'm just mashing buttons. :/

Iv'e been playing the demo and there's a bug I've come across a few times but I can never tell for sure.

If Link has one of Mega Man's Crash Bomb's attached to him and he doesn't move, the explosion counts as being blocked by Link's shield (Actual shield, not R button shield) and does zero damage. Has this happened to anyone else?

Apart from that Link is amazing They've fixed everything that was wrong about him and he's by far my favourite of the 5 demo characters. Can't access Feirce Deity costume though :-/

StAidan

Played the demo, Link still seems to be my man, but I played pretty well with Villager, too. I wish I was good with Mega Man since I love the series, but I had a tough time with him.

3 weeks from release... sigh.

Violet_0

Banned
What a letdown. The demo itself is great, but my thumb gets so cramped with the 3DS XL.

Hyped for the Wii U version :(

are you guys using those 3DS grip attachments? I've had a pretty good experience with mine so far, they are pretty cheap and make MH3 actually playable

Iv'e been playing the demo and there's a bug I've come across a few times but I can never tell for sure.

If Link has one of Mega Man's Crash Bomb's attached to him and he doesn't move, the explosion counts as being blocked by Link's shield (Actual shield, not R button shield) and does zero damage. Has this happened to anyone else?

Apart from that Link is amazing They've fixed everything that was wrong about him and he's by far my favourite of the 5 demo characters. Can't access Feirce Deity costume though :-/
This is a normal function of Link's shield it was in Brawl as well. His shield is actually well....shielding.

shaowebb

Callin it now...Rosalina top 5.

Backdash is a teleport, can edge guard from midscreen. can self setup wombo combo and god help you getting back on the stage since she can sick Luma WAY out there after you. If you get in on her DONT LET UP. She looks harsh.

Ryce

I might be mistaken, but I thought I saw some unique victory animations.
If true, that's awesome.

Demo update: Villager, my most wanted newcomer, is also my favorite character to use! I love everything about him/her. This game is too good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom