• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinsei

Banned
Played a few matches as the various characters available in the demo. I was really into Melee, but only played Brawl a couple times, as the game's dual layer disk or whatever it was wouldn't work on my Wii. Was the floaty movement seen as a good addition to the series? It's taking awhile to get used to, and before I realized it was intentional, I thought my 3DS was having problems running the game or something.

Everything we see in this demo is what we get, right? There's no unlockables? I think this just made the wait for release less bearable.

There are a bunch of unlockable characters. 4 newcomers, 1 Melee character that didn't come back in Brawl, and a bunch of Brawl characters. There are also unlockable stages, unlockable attacks for your characters, and unlockable assist trophies.

SuperSah

Banned
Whoever said playing on the small 3DS must be crazy.

It looks beautiful on it, crystal clear and dat 60.

Surely gonna make the wait a lot harder.

-Horizon-

I still suck as Pikachu. What a surprise.

OK, so I just stopped playing Smash and closed it. It basically turned off my 3DS and then turned it back on like when you open and close the settings menu lol.

Kriken

I'm amazed at how good the Dark Samus AT was on Battlefield, killed both my opponents with relative ease. On the other end of the spectrum, the Chain Chomp AT sucks. Very limited range, whiffs easily and doesn't stay around for long

rawktapus

I can't fucking believe they got rid of his laugh.

And I can't fucking believe people are not more pissed about this.

EDIT : .....His walk animation makes up for it a bit...

Maybe if he was still a sprite, but I feel it'd sound weird coming out of the 3d model. I like the Ernie style snickering.

JoeInky

Got 2 more ness customisations, PK Flash 2 has a massive AOE, can be detonated much earlier and barely goes horizontally but constantly rises, juggle tool perhaps? It's also red.

PK Thunder 3 is green, is much larger, does more damage and is slower, I don't think you go as far when you hit yourself with it but it does 5% more damage.

These moves could have other properties like shieldbreaker or whatever but that's the jist of them, just the final PSI magnet customisation to go. Going to get that and then call it a day, my thumbs are really starting to hurt from this controller.

The only character I am having hard time is Villager because the down B attack is so odd!

PS: This game is not as slow as Brawl, thank goodness.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
There's 105 the last I checked with more challenge walls beyond that.

Holy shit, meteor smashing in this game feels ridiculous good.

I'm only on the demo but meteor smash with mario just feels sooooo good.

The only character I am having hard time is Villager because the down B attack is so odd!

I still don't understand the point of it. Is it just to create an anti-projection tree?

Josh5890

I downloaded the demo today. I like playing as Mario Link and Villager. Pikachu is hard for me and I'm trying to get used to Mega Man but it isn't easy.

AdaWong

Been playing ghe demo nom-stop, getting accustomed to the control stick (always played with dpad)

My 3DS is the original launch model and even with the camera zoomed out I can very much see my character clearly! Impressed.

Also, for the love of everything, videos dont do the game justice. The game runs smoothly and beautifully on 3DS version and resolution is still beautiful. A masterpiece!

There's 105 the last I checked with more challenge walls beyond that.

Holy shit, meteor smashing in this game feels ridiculous good.

Awesome! I'm really glad that we have at least 100 challenges. I was really worried that we just had the starter challenges and the hidden challenges. This has me feeling so much better about this game.

DrStiles

I can't fucking believe they got rid of his laugh.

And I can't fucking believe people are not more pissed about this.

EDIT : .....His walk animation makes up for it a bit...

I know I figured it would be the perfect taunt. The sideways form just isn't the same. It does however make a fantastic victory screen though

Just spent an hour with the demo. Its everything I could've hoped for and more for a Smash portable. Thank you based Sakurai and everyone at who worked on the game.
Except Sakurai's wife. Yoshi placement, Clone corner, SMH.

I have a couple questions:

Is there anyway to set the music in the demo for stages? I know pressing the L (or R?) button changes it to music 2 but I want to keep it on music 1 and sometimes music 2 plays even when I don't press the button...

Can you play with the D-Pad in the full game? Can't wait to change attacks so they mimic NSMB run/jump buttons with special and attacks. I think I heard that you can't change to Dpad but want to be sure. Circle Pad is too slippery damnit.

Also is anyone worried that when the full game comes out that you won't be able to play as anyone else? By the game comes out all our mains will be Mario, Link, Pikachu, Villager, and Mega Man XD. I'll be like "who the fuck are these other characters? Where did they come from?"

Lunar15

Hoo boy, the demo turned me off from the 3DS version. Those controls, man. I'm usually never anal about controls for anything, but i'm just not feeling this.

Wii U version it is!

Trike

controls kind of feel like ass. Gonna take awhile to get used to them. Not much to do in the demo, but still nice to see that Mega Man rocks.

Raw64life

Just played the demo for about an hour. The circle pad took some getting used to. Didn't even bother with the 3D. I can see my hands cramping up pretty good when I get the full game. They're smart to release the 3DS version first because I doubt I'll ever play this game again once the Wii U version comes out.

Have I ever mentioned how much I love Sakuraba's Brawl arrangement of the Melee menu? It's probably my favorite Smash arrangement behind the Melee Mother 2 theme and I'm so glad it's back in this.

And the controls feel just fine to me. Just trying to figure out alternating between grabs/shielding with L and R.

controls kind of feel like ass. Gonna take awhile to get used to them. Not much to do in the demo, but still nice to see that Mega Man rocks.
Thought that at first, but it gets better. It is nice you do not need a button to jump. Just tap up with no other buttons. X and Y are pretty useless though!

AdaWong

Hoo boy, the demo turned me off from the 3DS version. Those controls, man. I'm usually never anal about controls for anything, but i'm just not feeling this.

Wii U version it is!

I had the exact same reaction as soon as I launched the demo, played a few matches and was like "nope." Felt like my hype was absolutely thrown away just like that. Turned off my 3DS altogether.

Couple hours later, booted it up to give it another try, played a few matches, and now i cant stop playing.

Not

Banned

I'm so pissed at the placement. B should have been attack and Y special. Would feel more like GCN. Controls are customizable in the final build, right?

Symphonic

First impressions:

1. Holy shit this game looks amazing for 3DS. No wonder it can't multitask with it running.

2. Link and Pikachu are awesome.

3. Animations are great, new items are great.

4. Villager will never not be able to get back on the platform.

5. I fear for my social/educational life in October.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I am loving the the effort that went into Smash Bros 3DS but I am struggling with the control especially when jumping as by brain keeps thinking that it's A.

I am hoping to customize the control by moving jump to either R or A, though it's a shame that you can't do that in the demo.

Miutsu

im going to venezuela for a month 10 days after the full game comes out..

caracas is really dangerous and all my purchases are digital so I really just kinda dont wanna bring my 3DS.. it's a vacation with my GF too anyway

but MAAAAAAAAAAN

Take it with you, nothing will (should) happen as long as you only play it at home.

Then again its just a month and you will have company so its up to you :)

weekev

Banned
I just did my first ever final Smash and it felt good!

Demo is awesome, 3 weeks now of playing the same stage over and over again. Hyrule Warriors next week to fill in the last 2 weeks.

SuperSah

Banned
I just noticed the demo version of Battlefield doesn't cycle through day and night.

As for control, yes, customisable but I had zero issue myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom