• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josephl64

The controls yo. They just aren't clicking with me lol.

I did get Mega Man to do his Smash. Still hype as heck to see xD

I finally got used to the controls after several matches with my Pika. I love how much better his Final Smash is too ~

Mega Man's is still pretty hype to see although usually I dread it since I'm at the receiving end.

Is there a way to change any of the music in the demo? Battlefield is a great song, but I thought I remembered reading that there was an alternate music choice somewhere

chadboban

Hoo boy, the demo turned me off from the 3DS version. Those controls, man. I'm usually never anal about controls for anything, but i'm just not feeling this.

Wii U version it is!

Doesn't the full version have customizable controls though? Or is it more of a problem with the form factor of the 3ds?

Moonlight

Banned
Hoo boy, the demo turned me off from the 3DS version. Those controls, man. I'm usually never anal about controls for anything, but i'm just not feeling this.

Wii U version it is!
I think it's less of an issue for controls for me, personally (as switching muscle memory isn't too big of a deal for me), than the fact that this game has really hammered in the inherent flaws in the 3DS's ergonomic design. Clawing up both sides of the system and executing everything you want to when buttons feel so cramped together and your hand is up against practically every edge that the system has is really difficult to play with. I didn't even have that much of an issue with KIU, either - the 3DS is just really hard to pull off fine control with.

Doesn't really help that Smash attacks are decidedly unintuitive.

I'm fine with the controls, though once I get the full version I'm definitely doing something about the shoulder buttons. Would like to use both shoulder buttons for the shield.

Hatchtag

Banned
I gotta say, the Mii Fighters moves are very similar to other characters. Right now my Mii Swordsfighter basically has Dededes Up B, Ikes Side B, and Falcons Down B and normal B.

watershed

Banned
After playing around with the demo a bit here are my impressions:

Playing with 3d on is going to be impossible until the New 3ds comes out with the head tracking 3d tech.
Thank god for custom controls in the final game because the current button layout is killing me.
This game is seriously pretty and smooth.
I'm rusty as hell at Smash.

Ryce

What's the control scheme for mega man? Trying to figure it out but I'm not sure what buttons do what lol.
A - Mega Buster
Dash A - Top Spin
Side A (tilt Circle Pad gently) - Walking Mega Buster
Up A (tilt Circle Pad gently) - Mega Uppercut
Down A (tilt Circle Pad gently) - Sliding
Smash Side A - Charge Shot
Smash Up A - Spark Shock
Smash Down A - Flame Blast
Neutral Air A - Air Mega Buster
Front Air A - Flame Sword
Back Air A - Slash Claw
Up Air A - Air Shooter
Down Air A - Hard Knuckle
L (Grab) - Super Arm (press A to pummel or press a direction to throw)
B - Metal Blade (can be aimed by tilting in a direction during the startup)
Side B - Crash Bomber
Up B - Rush Coil
Down B - Leaf Shield

So Mega Man's ftilt is just shooting while walking? :/

I really like every character in this game. Pikachu and Mario feel better than their Brawl incarnations, Link doubly-so. Villager is unorthodox but awesome, and Mega Man oddly enough feels the most vanilla compared to everybody else. Not much about him stands out aside from his FS.

Also, am I the only one who keeps pressing L to halve an aerial's landing lag in vain? Damn Melee reflexes. ><;;

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
After playing around with the demo a bit here are my impressions:

Playing with 3d on is going to be impossible until the New 3ds comes out with the head tracking 3d tech.
Thank god for custom controls in the final game because the current button layout is killing me.
This game is seriously pretty and smooth.
I'm rusty as hell at Smash.

Reversed guard and grab is killing me softly.

PKrockin

Down B is Leaf
Up B is Spark
Side B is ???
Neutral B is Metal Blade
I like Up A and Down A the best.

Wut?

Up B: Rush Coil
Neutral B: Metal Blade (can aim by moving the stick right after pressing B)
Forward B: Crash Bomb
Down B: Leaf Shield

A or tilt forward A or aerial A: Uncharged Mega Buster
Tilt up A: Mega Upper
Tilt down A: Slide
Smash up A: Spark something
Smash down A: Flame something
Smash side A: Charged Mega Buster
Dash attack: Top Spin
Aerial up A: Air something
Aerial down A: Hard Knuckle
Aerial forward A: Flame Sword
Aerial back A: Slash Cutter?

Lunar15

Doesn't the full version have customizable controls though? Or is it more of a problem with the form factor of the 3ds?

The control pad isn't optimal. I'm sure people can get used to it, but I'm not willing to when there's the wii u version right there.

I have no problem holding the system, never had any issues with that. Only the Vita makes my hands cramp.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Any more impressions for the netcode?

I played a few matches and it was passable at best. One match lagged really badly, then disconnected. This was against random Japanese players though. Would like to know what it's like against people in the same country. I should probably see about adding some people.

Fireblend

Banned
You guys complaining about the controls are insane to me, but then again, I did play through all of Kid Icarus: Uprising without having to use the stand and don't understand the complaints about the controls for that game either ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

Anyway, I've been playing this (the demo) for like 4 hours and am absolutely loving it, holy shit. I like all the characters, and the graphics and smoothness is so great. GOAT.

If I'm this hype for 5 characters and 1 stage, PLUS online fighting... I'm gonna go insane for the full thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom