• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ludovico

OMG, dibs on Link avatar
as soon as I figure out how

EPzjU6p.png

Bass260

Repost here cause there's like 10 smash topics!

I was fortunate enough to get a demo code from a very nice individual on another forum!

Let me just say : Mega Man's final smash in beautiful 3D is one of the greatest things I've ever seen. Just about brought a tear to my eye. Sakurai has really done him justice while his owners left him to rot in the doghouse. We love you Mega Man <3 enjoy your stay with Nintendo.

Oh and btw, Nintendo is totally buying the Mega Man IP. Only 3rd party character in the demo, he's featured as a character on the eshop quite frequently (although Sonic is too) and they've given him lots of promotion like in the AKB48 ad.

Woffls

Are people having EU download issues? Code works, download fails every time. Got my code in an email from Nintendo with UK/EU info in the footer so I assume the store is just a bit wonky...

Tenck

Considering I'm connecting to Japanese servers I expected the lag to be much worse. Definitely way better than brawl. A. LOT. BETTER.

Played against people with English usernames.

I got a demo code!

Glad Villager is playable, because I don't really care about any of the other playable guys. He's a lot of fun, but I'm not yet sure how effective he is. He seems to lack KO moves, but makes up for it in edgeguarding ability. But certain recoveries, like Pikachu's, seem hard to edgeguard against.

The demo is sooooo good. This game is already better than Brawl ever was.

I can easily agree to this. First time playing Brawl was a bit of a shellshock. This game, it just flows so well. It's like some sort of advanced variant of Smash 64 -- and it's wonderful.

I'm curious though. I thought post-match achievements were in this game again?

Trike

Thought that at first, but it gets better. It is nice you do not need a button to jump. Just tap up with no other buttons. X and Y are pretty useless though!

Hmm, I swear I tried hitting up to jump and it not working. I'll try again and see if that helps any. I figure I just need to practice it, but the 3DS isn't very comfortable for this type of game.

I'm so pissed at the placement. B should have been attack and Y special. Would feel more like GCN. Controls are customizable in the final build, right?

I hope so. But a better question is why isn't it available in the demo? Or any options? Options are basic things that people will use to optimize their game experience and doesn't need to be locked out. I don't think any other demo I have played locked out the options.

My experience with Smash Bros is almost zero. I've only played the Wii version for a few hours with a hyperactive kid and I had no idea what I was doing, so I wasn't hyped about the Wii U version.

Now that I've played the 3DS demo, I've realized two thing:

1- I still have no idea what I'm doing
2- ... this is really fun :)

I'll get the Wii U version because I like to play on my TV, but the 3DS version looks pretty solid to me.

Ceravic

The demo is sooooo good. This game is already better than Brawl ever was.

Mechanically, I can definitely agree. I can't say it's better though because I don't see myself liking a character as much as I liked playing as Lucas, especially if Ness is as nerfed as is being said. We'll see though.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
My experience with Smash Bros is almost zero. I've only played the Wii version for a few hours with a hyperactive kid and I had no idea what I was doing, so I wasn't hyped about the Wii U version.

Now that I've played the 3DS demo, I've realized two thing:

1- I still have no idea what I'm doing
2- ... this is really fun :)

I'll get the Wii U version because I like to play on my TV, but the 3DS version looks pretty solid to me.

Luckily both types of players can enjoy the game.

AdaWong

Few pet peeves:

- I'm still so annoyed the clones are not next to their respective series' characters.
- Disappointed by no ability to use the D-Pad as movement instead of the control stick.

Other than that, the game is honestly amazing.

Can anyone who has played on the regular (or 2DS) screen comment on the experience? Specifically how everything sizes during gameplay.

In 1-on-1 matches I've had no problem identifying what was happening and who was who. Now, during 4-player free-for-alls things get a bit hectic when there's more than one player playing the same person, but otherwise it's manageable. I'm honestly very impressed with it overall.

ugoo18

Can anyone who has played on the regular (or 2DS) screen comment on the experience? Specifically how everything sizes during gameplay.

Feels good enough 1v1 but after a couple of 4p matches player tracking is an issue. Especially with items going off everywhere and as i said earlier some items are a pain because of how much of the screen they affect.

On an OG 3DS

emb

I love how quickly some of these moves recover. I can do most of Mario, Pika, or even Link's aerials and fast fall land without feeling totally helpless.

I already feel like I'm destroying my circle pad though. :(

Kinsei

Banned
Could Pikachu's down B always be used as a third jump, or is that new to Smash? I never used him much in the past games so I wouldn't know.

TheOGB

Banned
So according to Makai (just in case we're still spoiler tagging characters)
Dark Pit's Side B has super armor
BUENO

Still waiting on that Master Hand battle theme though...

jnWake

If Ness was indeed nerfed it may be a case of them simply not having enough manpower/time to test him much. Sakurai said they were open to balance patches so maybe we'll see some fixes in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom