• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone confirmed if you can do Final Destination Mode on Past Stages? New stages, I'm sure you can. But it'd be nice if you play that way on stages from the older games too

Roo

Luckily both types of players can enjoy the game.
g76nHS6.jpg

And to think Sakurai and the rest of the team have to go through similar stuff when they design characters---
(the guy from the left that is)

Camjo-Z

This demo is great. I'm a big fan of Brawl but I can't deny that the added speed is welcome without being way too fast for me like Melee is. Also, Villager is awesome.

Has anyone confirmed if you can do Final Destination Mode on Past Stages? New stages, I'm sure you can. But it'd be nice if you play that way on stages from the older games too

Yes, I saw Corneria being played in Omega Mode.

I really hope a patch comes out in time for the western launch that fixes the awful netcode. They promised that they fixed it and it's still just as bad as Brawl
:(

Surprisingly, I've actually started to like how Mega Man plays. His specials are pretty meh though. Villager is still a bit iffy for me besides the Bowling Bawl. Side aerials are ok for some far damage.

Blizzard

Banned
The demo is REALLY hard for me. At least I have a 3DS XL grip (CYBER) so my hands aren't bad now. And I'm getting used to the ways to jump. But level 9 CPU Megaman destroys me on Mario most all the time, with or without items.

Does anyone have any tips for this matchup? Megaman seems to have good up-guarding moves, and really powerful AOE damage, and it's super rare that I can even land a smash attack on him. It's also very difficult for me to even come close to landing Mario neutral A or forward A in the air.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Villager is really fun but I can't figure out how to ko with him/her besides the lucky tree or chasing them off the stage with a rocket.

Megaman is so good. I expected him to be pretty bad from the impressions but I have no problem killing with him. Some of his moves could be stronger/have better range but that's only minor considering how many good options he has for racking up damage and killing.

Pikachu/Link/Mario are all beasts.

Bullza2o

I love this demo. Controls felt weird at first just like when I played at Best Buy, but over time I got accustomed to it. Plays very well and very smooth!

And Villager is an amazingly unique and awesome!

FD mode seems to work with basically every stage. The only two I haven't seen use it yet were Flat Zone and Gameboy. Everything else, absolutely. Those two, not sure.

Past stages included. They made entirely new forms for those. It's cool.

Azuran

Banned
I like the default controls. The only annoying thing is that I keep forgetting L exists so I'm barely grabbing much compared to the previous games. When the game comes out, I'm switching grabs to the remaining face button and i'll be perfect for me.

I really hope a patch comes out in time for the western launch that fixes the awful netcode. They promised that they fixed it and it's still just as bad as Brawl
:(
I am really sad to hear that. Hopefully the Wii U version is more stable.
I am losing hope after Smash Run has no online.

I didn't think I'd like Mega Man THIS much. I'm a grappler so his quick grabs make me happy. I might have to retire Diddy and Luigi...

My second and third favorites are Villager and Mario.

Villager has too slow of a grab and his forward smash doesn't reach far enough to my liking. Also fair and bair don't have much strength.

Mario is much improved but does anyone get frustrated with the close proximity gap for his f smash?

Neiteio

Zero had an AWESOME series of matches online, where he used Villager against another player using Duck Hunt Duck. The mind-gamers were insane. Is there any way to retrieve those videos on Twitch?

The demo is REALLY hard for me. At least I have a 3DS XL grip (CYBER) so my hands aren't bad now. And I'm getting used to the ways to jump. But level 9 CPU Megaman destroys me on Mario most all the time, with or without items.

Does anyone have any tips for this matchup? Megaman seems to have good up-guarding moves, and really powerful AOE damage, and it's super rare that I can even land a smash attack on him. It's also very difficult for me to even come close to landing Mario neutral A or forward A in the air.

spam the cape a lot! megaman has lots of projectiles that you could turn against him with a well timed or lucky cape. especially his charge shot...

apart from that, mario's best tools are his aerials so if you can get good at short hops and fast falls you can make magic happen. in particular, his back air is really good for defending against people trying to recover if you dont have a good approach vector for your forward air.

i prefer back air to neutral air. easier to do, imo.

edit: oh and one more thing! if you ever don't know what to do, just throw a fireball. that damage adds up after a while. it's also useful to lob a fireball out when you're recovering, as it can keep the pressure off you while you grab the ledge.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Megaman is an interesting character, but most of his sure-fire kill moves have a laggy startup.
Still can't get over how good, and smooth this game runs on 3D

I really enjoyed the demo. Played it with a friend for like 2 hours and we both can't wait for October 3rd! Villager was weird at first but I really love him now. I'm also surprised at how much I liked Mega Man. I didn't really think he'd be for me but he was definitely my favorite to play.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD

Just fought him.

-You're much faster than he is, abuse it
-Shield his sticky missle
-Abuse Mario's amazing meteor strikes for EZ Kos
-Focus on normal attacks specials are not super effective imo.

Revven

Zero had an AWESOME series of matches online, where he used Villager against another player using Duck Hunt Duck. The mind-gamers were insane. Is there any way to retrieve those videos on Twitch?

He would have had to save them as Highlights, Twitch no longer automatically saves archives iirc.

I kept hearing many different opinions on netcode so I guess it's depend on your opponents' locations or routers.
If it's hit and miss then it wouldn't be netcode but wireless variables like you mentioned. (Which I REALLY hope is the case)

Edit: well I didn't realize netcode was a more general term for any wireless interaction so... don't listen to me lol

Really? I'm playing on the 3DS, so basically you're gonna want to use your jab, nair, bair, uair and cape to get in. Be wary of him knocking you into the air, and pick your battles. When you grab him, either throw him off the edge and fair him down, or up throw him and go for a follow-up (haven't tried down throw, but given the Rush glitch I think it would be pointless.) Finally, the shield is really strong, don't be afraid to abuse it for the win. Also, I've noted that in the air fireballs fall really quickly, so try to damage him that way. Don't bother edgeguarding him with cape, he can just Rush Coil again.

I'm a Doc main from Melee, so the experience playing him there really gives me an edge here given that I can apply most of my tricks here, and (SSB4 newcomer spoilers)
Dr. Mario is returning.

Mik317

Tbf, it hard to judge the net code as most people are basically playing on Japanese servers... Against Japanese players while probably not in Japan.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
Any alternate costumes that were unlocked that we didn't know previously?

Please Sakurai give me Proto Man.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Just realized that while the villager tree is up you can use Dspecial for an axe.

Three things are turning me off. Im still hyped as ever but:

Damage + knockback seem to be significantly reduced - the effects (plus hitstun) make it seem like attacks are doing an incredible amount of damage and are super powerful but in reality damage has been toned down compared to previous games.

New ledge mechanic - the new ledge mechanic has the potential to totally change the game, and not in a good way. Sakurai effectively removed passive K.O.s By that I mean K.O'ing an opponent when you actually don't have to do anything except stop their movement/recovery. Passive K.O.'s added variety and depth to the game. With their removal the game is not as interesting. I don't know why he changed it.

K.O. Bounding box - This in addition to the first point means that matches last longer and seem to be less interesting. I suspect that 2 stock matches will probably become standard unless the competitive community decides to raise the damage ratio for each match. Nobody wants to watch a match where the majority of play is a person being knocked far off stage only to recover and the cycle to continue again ... and again .... and again ... and again. It's boring. At that point it's not trading blows. It's trading one blow ... every 20 seconds.

I know everyone is hype right now and I'm not trying to deflate that but remember when Brawl came out and people were super hype about it? It took a long time for the denial to wear off. I suspect that the increased KO box/decreased damage and ledge mechanics will be the new tripping. It's just antithetical to competitive play and seems to echo Nintendo's mantra that everyone is a winner and deserves infinite tries to get there. All the new gameplay mechanics lend themselves to casual "retries". Are you not that good at smash? Well lets lower the damage so you can last longer. Are you not that good at Smash? Well let's increase the Ko box so you can last longer. Are you not that good at Smash? Well let's make it so that anyone can grab the ledge at anytime so that you can last longer!

famicomplicated

Neo Member
I will be playing against other guys in Japan this week, I'm hoping that it's going to be good!
I actually remember Brawl being reasonably playable online when it was Jpn Vs Jpn.

Esiquio

So as a Ness main, and someone who is disappointed to hear how badly he was nerfed again, I've been thinking for a while how much I like Villager. Well, seeing as how he's one of a handful of characters available in the demo, I gave him a shot. DAMN is he weird and fun. His moves are creative and such a blast to use. So I was playing, and items are on by default on the demo, and I picked myself up a beam sword and started smacking Mario around with it. I pressed a few buttons and all of a sudden my beam sword was gone. WTF?

Then I realized that I pressed B, which can Pocket anything. That's right, you can hide items that you hold with Pocket. Fought Mario for a bit, got him off the edge, pulled out my beam sword and smashed him in the face with it. Death.

My eyes watered for a second. Beautiful.

Painguy

Hitting up on the ground with the 3DS is kinda hard without doing a smash attack. I tend to do more smash attacks now. Really afraid of breaking my system with this game lol. Can u customize controls on the demo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom