• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Hitting up on the ground with the 3DS is kinda hard without doing a smash attack. I tend to do more smash attacks now. Really afraid of breaking my system with this game lol. Can u customize controls on the demo?

Nope =/.

Is it just me, or are shields and rolling ridiculously good in this game? I'm probably not used to it, but holy shit you can defend against so many things now. It's insane, and don't get me started on how quick rolling is. This could lead to some crazy mental metagame, and I'm loving it.

Teknoman

How do you do Megaman's standard up attack? I know its a shoryuken, but its really iffy with the circle pad. Thinks im doing a smash.

Cse

Banned
The blast radius on maps is absolutely huge.

Players are easily racking up 150+% before being actually knocked out. Landing a seemingly decimating move on somewhat at ~100% doesn't actually send them flying far.

Not a fan. Hopefully the Wii U version is a bit better in this regard.

I've been playing all day and I'm having so much fun with this game. I should slap myself for ever doubting this version.

Also, I just noticed stage wise I've only unlocked Magicant from beating Ness, but does anyone know any of the other stage requirements like F-Zero, Pac-Man Arcade, Balloon Fighter, etc?

For new page don't kill me:

Three things are turning me off. Im still hyped as ever but:

Damage + knockback seem to be significantly reduced - the effects (plus hitstun) make it seem like attacks are doing an incredible amount of damage and are super powerful but in reality damage has been toned down compared to previous games.

New ledge mechanic - the new ledge mechanic has the potential to totally change the game, and not in a good way. Sakurai effectively removed passive K.O.s By that I mean K.O'ing an opponent when you actually don't have to do anything except stop their movement/recovery. Passive K.O.'s added variety and depth to the game. With their removal the game is not as interesting. I don't know why he changed it.

K.O. Bounding box - This in addition to the first point means that matches last longer and seem to be less interesting. I suspect that 2 stock matches will probably become standard unless the competitive community decides to raise the damage ratio for each match. Nobody wants to watch a match where the majority of play is a person being knocked far off stage only to recover and the cycle to continue again ... and again .... and again ... and again. It's boring. At that point it's not trading blows. It's trading one blow ... every 20 seconds. Someone needs to die for their mistakes and this game is way too forgiving. My brother baired someone at 200% and they didnt die.

I know everyone is hype right now and I'm not trying to deflate that but remember when Brawl came out and people were super hype about it? It took a long time for the denial to wear off. I suspect that the increased KO box/decreased damage and ledge mechanics will be the new tripping. It's just antithetical to competitive play and seems to echo Nintendo's mantra that everyone is a winner and deserves infinite tries to get there. All the new gameplay mechanics lend themselves to casual "retries". Are you not that good at smash? Well lets lower the damage so you can last longer. Are you not that good at Smash? Well let's increase the Ko box so you can last longer. Are you not that good at Smash? Well let's make it so that anyone can grab the ledge at anytime so that you can last longer!

Blizzard

Banned
spam the cape a lot! megaman has lots of projectiles that you could turn against him with a well timed or lucky cape. especially his charge shot...

apart from that, mario's best tools are his aerials so if you can get good at short hops and fast falls you can make magic happen. in particular, his back air is really good for defending against people trying to recover if you dont have a good approach vector for your forward air.

i prefer back air to neutral air. easier to do, imo.

edit: oh and one more thing! if you ever don't know what to do, just throw a fireball. that damage adds up after a while. it's also useful to lob a fireball out when you're recovering, as it can keep the pressure off you while you grab the ledge.
I think I should spam fireballs more. The cape seems largely worthless because it's a level 9 CPU, same with back air -- CPUs can airdodge or ledge grab around it.

Damage + knockback seems to be significantly reduced - the effects (plus hitstun) make it seem like attacks are doing an incredible amount of damage and are super powerful but in reality damage has been toned down compared to previous games.

New ledge mechanic - the new ledge mechanic has the potential to totally change the game, and not in a good way. Sakurai effectively removed passive K.O.s By that I mean K.O'ing an opponent when you actually don't have to do anything except stop their movement/recovery. Passive K.O.'s added variety and depth to the game. With their removal the game is not as interesting. I don't know why he changed it.

K.O. Bounding box - This in addition to the first point means that matches last longer and seem to be less interesting. I suspect that 2 stock matches will probably become standard unless the competitive community decides to raise the damage ratio for each match.

I know everyone is hype right now and I'm not trying to deflate that but remember when Brawl came out and people were super hype about it? It took a long time for the denial to wear off. I suspect that the increased KO box/decreased damage and ledge mechanics will be the new tripping. It's just antithetical to competitive play and seems to echo Nintendo's mantra that everyone is a winner and deserves infinite tries to get there. All the new gameplay mechanics lend themselves to casual "retries". Are you not that good at smash? Well lets lower the damage so you can last longer. Are you not that good at Smash? Well let's increase the Ko box so you can last longer. Are you not that good at Smash? Well let's make it so that anyone can grab the ledge at anytime so that you can last longer!

I feel like the new ledge mechanics make it MORE interesting. Before it was so cut and dry "get down and stay down". I guess i just prefer the added variety and also multi ledgers for extension grabs and swapping out for others.

But I do notice the weakend smashes at lower percentage. That combined with bigger KO box makes it a little tough to get used to.

Blizzard

Banned
I think the ledge thing is fine, and kind of cool how people swap out.

I -really- like the dark lightning effect shooting out when you do a very powerful launch.

I didn't even realize Mario forward-air was a meteor strike. It seemed almost impossible to hit with because it's so delayed, but I guess I should try to use it if Megaman is recovering? Won't they just airdodge it?

Masked Man

I said wow
So according to the Sound Test, Junichi Nakatsuru was responsible for arranging the Main Menu theme, and Battlefield (Smash 4/5 Theme) seems to have been composed by Keiki Kobayashi!

Kinsei

Banned

Players are easily racking up 150+% before being actually knocked out. Landing a seemingly decimating move on somewhat at ~100% doesn't actually send them flying far.

Yeah. Although it's way too early to say anything for sure, I think the Smash 4 metagame will revolve around meteor smashes and star KO's.

So, has this been discussed already? Probably has.

PtfcSVM.png

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
For new page don't kill me:

Damage + knockback seem to be significantly reduced - the effects (plus hitstun) make it seem like attacks are doing an incredible amount of damage and are super powerful but in reality damage has been toned down compared to previous games.

K.O. Bounding box - This in addition to the first point means that matches last longer and seem to be less interesting. I suspect that 2 stock matches will probably become standard unless the competitive community decides to raise the damage ratio for each match. Nobody wants to watch a match where the majority of play is a person being knocked far off stage only to recover and the cycle to continue again ... and again .... and again ... and again. It's boring. At that point it's not trading blows. It's trading one blow ... every 20 seconds.

I actually like the new ledge mechanics, but I definitely agree with points 1 & 3. I feel like it should have been one or the other, however with adjustment I could see myself warming up to these longer battles.

I played a lot of Megaman today and he fits my style of play. I played Snake in Brawl and I was always into zoning out my opponent. Megaman is a great zoner with his neutral a.

I think the ledge thing is fine, and kind of cool how people swap out.

I -really- like the dark lightning effect shooting out when you do a very powerful launch.

I didn't even realize Mario forward-air was a meteor strike. It seemed almost impossible to hit with because it's so delayed, but I guess I should try to use it if Megaman is recovering? Won't they just airdodge it?

The ledge mechanic might be interesting if it can lead to kill setups.

For instance: Mario is on the ledge, you are recovering. You jump on the ledge, he pops off, you immediately jump off towards him and perform a spike killing him.

Dr. Buni

I should slap myself for ever doubting this version.
Yes you should. :p

The Wii U version will be about the same thing, just you wait and see.

Wendler

Banned

Damage + knockback seems to be significantly reduced - the effects (plus hitstun) make it seem like attacks are doing an incredible amount of damage and are super powerful but in reality damage has been toned down compared to previous games.

K.O. Bounding box - This in addition to the first point means that matches last longer and seem to be less interesting. I suspect that 2 stock matches will probably become standard unless the competitive community decides to raise the damage ratio for each match.

As more I play the demo, the extended K.O. bounding box becomes a complete non-issue. Instead it just significally changes the game on how I have to K.O. my opponent.

Just because people survive longer and K.O.'s don't happen as fast doesn't make it any less interesting. That's just being-used-to-Melee talk. Football isn't any less interesting than basketball.

Beats

Yeah, the blast zones should be smaller. There's a lot of times where it looks like an attack is going to kill just going by the sound and feel of the hit, but then it doesn't. :x

Lol I just answered my own question. I played a match with Pac-Man and unlocked his stage. Guess I have to do the same with the other characters.

I really hope a patch comes out in time for the western launch that fixes the awful netcode. They promised that they fixed it and it's still just as bad as Brawl
:(

Weird to hear that. I've watched many streams today playing online, and the game seemed to run pretty smooth, even for people in different regions.

Woo demo impressions

General:
- The controls are a lot better than I thought they would be. It feels fluid and natural. Except R for shield instead of grab, that needs to change as soon as I get the real game.
- The Assist Trophies and Pokemon look great, but the 30fps really makes some of them seem "off" Ghirahim mostly. He looked like he was supposed to be in another game it was so awkward. Also it wasn't mentioned by Nintendo, but it looks to me like everything that isn't a playable character runs at 30fps. Loid for example seemed to be 30fps.
- This game looks fantastic. Like, on par, if not better than Brawl. Being able to switch between music is intuitive and easier than Melee (even if it's the same button as Melee, the red outline helps). Although I still think "L" could have been used for an additional music track, considering many are in the game for Smash Run already. Maybe a patch.
- This game feels a lot faster than Brawl. Really fast. You don't really realize it until you start playing it.

Mega Man:

- Is everything I could ever ask for in Mega Man. He represents his game perfectly, and is fun to play. I did find it was hard to find a move that killed with him, but I'll get used to it
- Playing him almost feels like playing Mega Man. He just handles like he does in his own game, right down to firing. His animations are spot on, and his final smash is hype.

Villager:

- Is he pre-disposed to be randomed as your opponent often? 9/10 times Villager is my random CPU opponent.
- He is fun. His neutral special making the same sound as having a full inventory made me smile so hard. The little things like that. As a CPU opponent, he's actually pretty difficult. Loid is annoying to fight against.

Mario:

- Feels like Mario. Not much to say, he doesn't really feel or seem any different from Brawl. He probably is, I'm not a hardcore Smash numbers person, I just play it a lot and am a huge fan.

Link:

- His new dash attack is awesome. More true to his series!
- He also seems way faster. Every animation is faster, and his boomerang seems to fly further and have a larger force to it. Also funny to see him use the boomerang item and juggle two boomerangs.

Pikachu:

- Random liked giving me Pikachu (I would have "random" Pikachu vs Villager matches, sometimes 3-4 in a row). He has a lot of new animations and looks a lot better, visually. More true to his current design. Thunder's impact feels weaker to me, but the move overall seems buffed.

I am very happy with this demo. It's... placated me I guess and has brought my hype levels down to a more reasonable level. Not in a bad way, in a "letting out pressure" sort of way, I'm still excited and hyped, but this makes it more realistic and manageable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom