• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tookay

The blast radius on maps is absolutely huge.

Players are easily racking up 150+% before being actually knocked out. Landing a seemingly decimating move on somewhat at ~100% doesn't actually send them flying far.

Not a fan. Hopefully the Wii U version is a bit better in this regard.
Yeah this is something that has bothered me a bit too. The bounding area feels like it should be a lot smaller.

munchie64

wario66_by_quas_quas-d7yxv14.png
Wario got dat Armstrong sparkle.

As more I play the demo, the extended K.O. bounding box becomes a complete non-issue. Instead it just significally changes the game on how I have to K.O. my opponent.

Just because people survive longer and K.O.'s don't happen as fast doesn't make it any less interesting. That's just being-used-to-Melee talk. Football isn't any less interesting than basketball.

That analogy really doesn't work. Footballs awesomeness comes from the play by play not necessarily the TD. Smash's awesomeness comes from the play by play not necessarily the kill.

Nobody wants to watch a match where the majority of play is a person being knocked far off stage only to recover and the cycle to continue again ... and again .... and again ... and again. It's boring. At that point it's not trading blows. It's trading one blow ... every 20 seconds. Someone needs to die for their mistakes and this game is way too forgiving. My brother baired someone at 200% and they didnt die.

Drago

How much have you used Game 7 Watch in vs mode? I'd imagine that if the stage didn't unlock with him, you need a certain amount of wins with him.
Tried that, 3 times, and also using his FS (since other stages unlock through those methods)

I'm going through classic with G&W now so we'll see if that does anything

Maybe it's just me but does Link's forward smash seem significantly weaker than the other playable characters? I didn't use him much in Brawl so I can't remeber much about him then

Oh yeah up tilts are kind of difficult on the circle pad for me too

Zomba13

Does the 3DS version have an opening cinematic? Like Smash 64, Melee and Brawl? I can't seem to find one uploaded online and we've seen a bunch form the game now it's in peoples hands.

Kinsei

Banned
Maybe it's just me but does Link's forward smash seem significantly weaker than the other playable characters? I didn't use him much in Brawl so I can't remeber much about him then

Hmm, I've only used Link a few times in the demo, but it didn't seem too weak to me. This is going to be a very stupid question, but since you said that you didn't use him much in Brawl, I feel the need to ask it. You know his forward smash is two attacks, right? Hit A again after the first swing.

mmxzero

I'm loving this demo, all the characters feel great, but I haven't really figured out the villager yet. Megaman feels true to form :)

There isnt anything hidden to unlock in the demo is there? I'm guessing the coins you accumulate in the demo transfer to the actual game.

diaspora

Can anyone PM me a link to the google doc with the 3DS friendcodes in it? I've been combing the thread and haven't been able to find it.

Revven

Yeah this is something that has bothered me a bit too. The bounding area feels like it should be a lot smaller.

It seems like all the stages have big boundaries -- there's no variance in size for them like in previous games. For example, Battlefield in Brawl/Melee had a pretty standard size for blastzones while FD had a higher ceiling than Battlefield or, in Melee, Dreamland 64 had the biggest blastzones relative to the legal stages used in tournaments.

It's a real problem. Even if the players adapt to it, I don't think lower % KOs will happen even if the offstage game improves. You can only go so far offstage with your attacks with one jump, your aerial mobility will have a great effect on how you can edgeguard offstage and if it sucks then you can't do much. Characters like Sheik, ZSS, and etc. already look like they're going to have really good offstage games but someone like Villager is going to suffer to some extent without any really good aerials for offstage edgeguarding (all he really has is Fair/Bair and even then that's hard to land because it's not a typical aerial).

I predict the early days of the game are going to be filled with Bowser, Sheik, ZSS, Kirby, Pikachu, MK, and etc. Characters that can easily chase offstage with aerials and then make it back safely + have really good onstage options for KOs.

It would be really nice if the dev team patched the blastzones, though... but I don't know if that is something that's on the table at all. We know they're not opposed to patches, but we're not sure what their limits are in terms of changing the game -- blastzones are part of character balance to some degree, after all.

Edit: Like, even a 5% overall decrease in their size would help immensely. Most of the KOs that aren't happening are literally like a few percent damage difference, it's kind of crazy and annoying at the same time. And it's especially annoying because of stale moves negation, meaning you can't use the same move again to try to KO which then further allows the other guy to live.

ffdgh

Oh yeah up tilts are kind of difficult on the circle pad for me too

Nah. The first hit does more knockback at the tip of his blade while the second one is stronger near the hilt.

Hitting near the hilt with the first strike will usually lead to landing the second hit.

It... still hasn't sunk in that I've played Smash Bros 4

Like it feels weird. After all this time, wishing I could play, the hype, the leaks, everything and I've gotten to finally experience it.

I think it'll need to process a day or so before it really sinks in just how absolutely awesome this is.

Tenck

The dream is real guys. Just played against people with only Japanese names and I had zero lag. I'm located in Arizona in USA if anyone is interested.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
So, has this been discussed already? Probably has.

The DLC is speculative, but it is weird to have a gigabyte of data just not disappear. Not sure what that's about. Unless it's a mixture of different things like patches and what not.

I really hope that it's because of DLC but I'm not sure since it might included save files' sizes since we can save up to 8 customized characters per specific characters if I heard it right. That would be 8 x 48, along with many Mii Fighters, so I wonder how much they would used up those memories. Also We have replays, screenshots, etc to think about.

The dream is real guys. Just played against people with only Japanese names and I had zero lag. I'm located in Arizona in USA if anyone is interested.
So the patch actually stabilized the online? That is good to hear. I do not want slow-motion Brawl battles.

Delio

Yeah, the blast zones should be smaller. There's a lot of times where it looks like an attack is going to kill just going by the sound and feel of the hit, but then it doesn't. :x

I agree the blast zones should be much smaller than they are.

Hmm, I've only used Link a few times in the demo, but it didn't seem too weak to me. This is going to be a very stupid question, but since you said that you didn't use him much in Brawl, I feel the need to ask it. You know his forward smash is two attacks, right? Hit A again after the first swing.

Maybe that's why. I'll try it again tomorrow because i'm getting off now

DaBoss

The DLC is speculative, but it is weird to have a gigabyte of data just not disappear. Not sure what that's about. Unless it's a mixture of different things like patches and what not.
Do we know the size it shows on the SD card in the settings? It could be uncompressed or something, though I doubt it.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD

I hope the servers can withstand the onslaught of people trying to play on launch.

Blizzard

Banned
Jesus, Mario is good. I hope Dr. Mario keeps up as well, he actually has the preferred Mario moveset.
Do you have any tips for Mario vs. level 9 CPU Megaman on the demo? I described my woes earlier. I didn't realize Mario forward-air is a meteor for instance, but it's soooo slow it seems impossible to hit. Wouldn't the CPU Megaman just airdodge if I get him off thes tage and try to meteor hit?

I also have enormous difficulty doing any sort of short jumps, and connecting with any sort of smash attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom