• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wendler

Banned
That analogy really doesn't work. Footballs awesomeness comes from the play by play not necessarily the TD. Smash's awesomeness comes from the play by play not necessarily the kill.

That quote is hand-picking the most boring scenario of a battle with big blast zones. I could do the same with Melee and its in comparison smaller blast zones where an opponent gets defeated the same way 4 times in a row because the game is too unforgiving. It's just a different environment altogether.

People will simply adapt. It's, for the love of god, not a "real problem".

As for the false analogy, not really. Football's awesomeness comes from both TD and play by play. It's not necessarily anything. Same with Smash.

For new page don't kill me:

Three things are turning me off. Im still hyped as ever but:

Damage + knockback seem to be significantly reduced - the effects (plus hitstun) make it seem like attacks are doing an incredible amount of damage and are super powerful but in reality damage has been toned down compared to previous games.

New ledge mechanic - the new ledge mechanic has the potential to totally change the game, and not in a good way. Sakurai effectively removed passive K.O.s By that I mean K.O'ing an opponent when you actually don't have to do anything except stop their movement/recovery. Passive K.O.'s added variety and depth to the game. With their removal the game is not as interesting. I don't know why he changed it.

K.O. Bounding box - This in addition to the first point means that matches last longer and seem to be less interesting. I suspect that 2 stock matches will probably become standard unless the competitive community decides to raise the damage ratio for each match. Nobody wants to watch a match where the majority of play is a person being knocked far off stage only to recover and the cycle to continue again ... and again .... and again ... and again. It's boring. At that point it's not trading blows. It's trading one blow ... every 20 seconds. Someone needs to die for their mistakes and this game is way too forgiving. My brother baired someone at 200% and they didnt die.

I know everyone is hype right now and I'm not trying to deflate that but remember when Brawl came out and people were super hype about it? It took a long time for the denial to wear off. I suspect that the increased KO box/decreased damage and ledge mechanics will be the new tripping. It's just antithetical to competitive play and seems to echo Nintendo's mantra that everyone is a winner and deserves infinite tries to get there. All the new gameplay mechanics lend themselves to casual "retries". Are you not that good at smash? Well lets lower the damage so you can last longer. Are you not that good at Smash? Well let's increase the Ko box so you can last longer. Are you not that good at Smash? Well let's make it so that anyone can grab the ledge at anytime so that you can last longer!

Almost completely agree with every point. I don't particularly mind the new ledge changes, and think that they're a decent fix to edgehogging (so far, still need to play more to really get a feel of it).

Though it really just ridiculous how long you can live in matches and how easily almost everyone (at least in the demo) can come back to the stage. It just makes matches last way longer than they should, and it makes killing harder than usual. It's bugging me out already.

And when you combine that with how buffed defensive options are (shields apparently don't have that much shield stun, rolling is super quick and nearly lagless, air dodges are also really spammable (you can even approach with Mario doing air dodge > auto cancel up air)), living to 140%+ is a common thing.

Teknoman

Can someone explain a passive KO in laymans terms?

Is that just when you make someone fall off stage, hindering their recovery?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Do you have any tips for Mario vs. level 9 CPU Megaman on the demo? I described my woes earlier. I didn't realize Mario forward-air is a meteor for instance, but it's soooo slow it seems impossible to hit. Wouldn't the CPU Megaman just airdodge if I get him off thes tage and try to meteor hit?

I also have enormous difficulty doing any sort of short jumps, and connecting with any sort of smash attack.

Level 9 CPU is (usually) not smart enough to predict meteor smashes.

You purposefully hang on a ledge so they can't grab it.

ffdgh

Do you have any tips for Mario vs. level 9 CPU Megaman on the demo? I described my woes earlier. I didn't realize Mario forward-air is a meteor for instance, but it's soooo slow it seems impossible to hit. Wouldn't the CPU Megaman just airdodge if I get him off thes tage and try to meteor hit?

I also have enormous difficulty doing any sort of short jumps, and connecting with any sort of smash attack.

Use mario up tilt over and over to easily rackup damage.

DarkKyo

I've spent some time with the demo today and I am liking it a lot. Just wish I could customize the controls as they are a bit counter intuitive to me for whatever reason... I just want the real deal to be here so I can try all the characters!

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I've been gone all day. any new stuff discovered?

Do we know what Sonic's custom moves are?

Any Smash Run Bosses, or was that a lie. :(

Kind of interesting to think that the demo for this game only has 3 less characters than the starting roster of Smash 64, and more items than Smash 64.

In a demo

My, how far we've come.

Tenck

Just to clarify, those were four player matches too. Just had two other good matches. I should sleep soon cause I work in the morning, but now I can't lol.

Pretty much stopping their recoveries without actually landing a strong move that kills them outside. Like, hanging on the edge f̶i̶g̶h̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶c̶r̶i̶m̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶s̶p̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶w̶e̶b̶s̶ and not letting him grab it, or hitting someone while they're recovering and messing up their trajectory or attempts.

Durden77

God I love Mega Man. I could play just as him all day. Wish his specials wern't so lame, leaf shield might be the most pointless special in Smash history, but he's so much fun.

I haye doing up tilts with tap jump on.

Roo

The dream is real guys. Just played against people with only Japanese names and I had zero lag. I'm located in Arizona in USA if anyone is interested.

That really doesn't prove anything.
Even Brawl had its flawless moments.

emb

Now that I've gotten some time with it, I'm pretty happy with how the game feels.

I think the game would have ended up absolutely amazing if air dodge put you into a helpless state. I hate air dodges.

Neoxon

Go balls-deep into that tin-can. His up-close game isn't as good as his ranged game.

Teknoman

Level 9 CPU is (usually) not smart enough to predict meteor smashes.

You purposefully hang on a ledge so they can't grab it.

Pretty much stopping their recoveries without actually landing a strong move that kills them outside. Like, hanging on the edge f̶i̶g̶h̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶c̶r̶i̶m̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶s̶p̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶w̶e̶b̶s̶ and not letting him grab it, or hitting someone while they're recovering and messing up their trajectory or attempts.

Ok cool, guess I was pretty close in thinking, but I NEVER knew you could grab a ledge, preventing others from doing it! I thought models would just clip!

Neiteio

I definitely feel that it takes too long to kill for many characters.
This is my impression, as well, from playing the demo and watching the streams. Most characters have little in the way of reliable KO options.

Hey, speaking of streams, are any good ones currently taking place?

-Horizon-

No, theirs is a recolored bush.

MHBPZDb.gif

Teknoman

I dunno why tap jump still exists. Jump should be a button if you've got moves tied to a direction...but then again I have trouble doing 360 moves in SF.

Kandinsky

Megaman's presentation is just incredible in this game, seeing the little dude running around, dodging, jumping, shooting, kicking ass bring tears to my eyes, I'm oh so happy he is in Smash D:

Based Sakurai make a big budget Megaman game like you did with Pit, please.

Dash dancing is definitely in, it is just hard to do on the circle pad. If you just move left and right with your thumb, it is almost impossible to do. If you put your index finger on the pad and go left and right quickly, you spin in place. My guess is that this will be easier on an analog stick.

Loving the demo, my only real problem is Villager

Just WUT

F and B air are projectiles?

His down smash puts people in the ground

His down b tree growing is more useful then actually chopping it down

Growing a tree seems to be the only way I can get any kind of consistent kill with him, his side and up smashes are slow and have small hit boxes :/

Any advice on playing and killing people with the villager?

Cse

Banned
Guys on the VGBootCamp stream just complained about how awkward it is when you're dashing across the stage and then jump, only to perform a normal jump at the standard speed.

This was the case in Brawl, but since the run speed is faster in this game, the lack of a conservation of player momentum when jumping is that much more pronounced.

Formless

This is my impression, as well, from playing the demo and watching the streams. Most characters have little in the way of reliable KO options.

Hey, speaking of streams, are any good ones currently taking place?

The slow kills are unfortunate just because I really think it's fun, until it becomes tiring to try to repeatedly use smashes. Also, I feel like I'm being punished a bit much when blocked too, but that may just be improved AI/my impatience.

http://www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom