• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mik317

I dunno why tap jump still exists. Jump should be a button if you've got moves tied to a direction...but then again I have trouble doing 360 moves in SF.
Fun fact: my dumbass never knew you could jump with the buttons until brawl.... Like late I'm brawl.

So yeah I am used to jumping with the stick

From playing the game, these are my impressions of its standing w/ the series

The gameplay seems at least as good as Smash 64, much better than Brawl, but it very much likely will never match Melee.

Tan

Guys on the VGBootCamp stream just complained about how awkward it is when you're dashing across the stage and then jump, only to perform a normal jump at the standard speed.

This was the case in Brawl, but since the run speed is faster in this game, the lack of a conservation of player momentum when jumping is that much more pronounced.

Yes, it feels incredibly off.

Drago

Beat All Star with G&W (even got a Flat Zone trophy during it incase it was a trophy unlock) and still no Flat Zone 2

I will not rest, I will not surrender until this stage is mine

fanboss

The dream continues.

Though I really don't think trophies are a good indication of whether a character can or cannot be a playable character in the future.

I do believe it severely reduces their chance to be in the game. It doesn't make it impossible, sure, but really unlikely. Personal opinion of course, I'm not Sakurai (I wish I was ;-;)

Beat All Star with G&W (even got a Flat Zone trophy during it incase it was a trophy unlock) and still no Flat Zone 2

I will not rest, I will not surrender until this stage is mine

Have you cleared the first page of Challenges? Since all stage unlocks are tied to challenges, I'd reckon it's one of them, though we know it's not on the first page.

Corgi

Banned
was watching GB quicklook, and they seem to have problems playing 3 player local mp.

haven't had any issue doing local mp with 2 people total with the demo, was wondering if there are any issues with the final version?

No! I left that life behind me. I chose this path. I wanted to start anew without the shackles of my past holding me down.

Miku gifs coming soon to a post near you.

pfft you can't escape all 5000+ of your posts from there :p

anyway how many trophies/custom moves has everyone unlocked so far

solomon

Competitive question: If games end up dragging too long due to the blast zones and people not dying do you think we should just raise the damage scaling a little in the setting?

The Lamp

For new page don't kill me:

Three things are turning me off. Im still hyped as ever but:

Damage + knockback seem to be significantly reduced - the effects (plus hitstun) make it seem like attacks are doing an incredible amount of damage and are super powerful but in reality damage has been toned down compared to previous games.

New ledge mechanic - the new ledge mechanic has the potential to totally change the game, and not in a good way. Sakurai effectively removed passive K.O.s By that I mean K.O'ing an opponent when you actually don't have to do anything except stop their movement/recovery. Passive K.O.'s added variety and depth to the game. With their removal the game is not as interesting. I don't know why he changed it.

K.O. Bounding box - This in addition to the first point means that matches last longer and seem to be less interesting. I suspect that 2 stock matches will probably become standard unless the competitive community decides to raise the damage ratio for each match. Nobody wants to watch a match where the majority of play is a person being knocked far off stage only to recover and the cycle to continue again ... and again .... and again ... and again. It's boring. At that point it's not trading blows. It's trading one blow ... every 20 seconds. Someone needs to die for their mistakes and this game is way too forgiving. My brother baired someone at 200% and they didnt die.

I know everyone is hype right now and I'm not trying to deflate that but remember when Brawl came out and people were super hype about it? It took a long time for the denial to wear off. I suspect that the increased KO box/decreased damage and ledge mechanics will be the new tripping. It's just antithetical to competitive play and seems to echo Nintendo's mantra that everyone is a winner and deserves infinite tries to get there. All the new gameplay mechanics lend themselves to casual "retries". Are you not that good at smash? Well lets lower the damage so you can last longer. Are you not that good at Smash? Well let's increase the Ko box so you can last longer. Are you not that good at Smash? Well let's make it so that anyone can grab the ledge at anytime so that you can last longer!

So far I actually love all these changes actually, lol.

At least it's not breaking the combat mechanics, it's just making matches slightly longer. I like that because the combat is so satisfying.

Loving the demo, my only real problem is Villager

Just WUT

F and B air are projectiles?

His down smash puts people in the ground

His down b tree growing is more useful then actually chopping it down

Growing a tree seems to be the only way I can get any kind of consistent kill with him, his side and up smashes are slow and have small hit boxes :/

Any advice on playing and killing people with the villager?

Up Smash and 3 turnip aerials can kill. Forward tilt and forward air to try and knock them off the stage, and (try) to edge guard them with forward smash and forward air and back air (though it might have less knockback than forward air). Down air is also a pretty good attack, though I haven't tested it that much yet.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I'm sure Joe will have all the custom moves documented by tomorrow night, knowing him.

Dude always seems to be shockingly fast with his coverage going by how on the ball he is with Pokemon coverage.

Beats

Liking Mario a lot in the demo. Will the coins you get after the match carry over into the full game?

Guys on the VGBootCamp stream just complained about how awkward it is when you're dashing across the stage and then jump, only to perform a normal jump at the standard speed.

This was the case in Brawl, but since the run speed is faster in this game, the lack of a conservation of player momentum when jumping is that much more pronounced.

Yeah, it feels off.

Spinluck

Loving the demo, my only real problem is Villager

Just WUT

F and B air are projectiles?

His down smash puts people in the ground

His down b tree growing is more useful then actually chopping it down

Growing a tree seems to be the only way I can get any kind of consistent kill with him, his side and up smashes are slow and have small hit boxes :/

Any advice on playing and killing people with the villager?

His edge game is godtier.

Utilize the fair and bair, along with the tree and fsmash when your opponents off stage.

I was able to KO Link, Mario, and Pikachu at minimal to no damage at all. Villager and Megaman seem a bit harder to edge off.

I do believe it severely reduces their chance to be in the game. It doesn't make it impossible, sure, but really unlikely. Personal opinion of course, I'm not Sakurai (I wish I was ;-;)

Think about it. If a DLC character is introduced to the 3DS version, there's a distinct possibility they may not be available in any mode besides multiplayer. They may not get a trophy like any of the other fighters.

Revven

Competitive question: If games end up dragging too long due to the blast zones and people not dying do you think we should just raise the damage scaling a little in the setting?

Combos would then likely be even less possible, I'd think.

I'm not too sure how the community would react to messing with damage ratio to address the problem for matches taking too long. Back when this idea was suggested for Brawl was both too late and was met with mixed opinions -- people felt the game would likely improve and also were used to the already "standardized" rule set (the idea of messing with damage ratio was 6-8 months into Brawl's tournament life).

I'd like to try exploring it myself and see how it affects combos and how much of a difference it makes in match time. But I'm not sure how TOs would feel about it or the community in general. I wish this was a discussion we could have but I think if we did, people would argue it's "too early" to be messing with damage ratio. :/

If it seemed like the game wasn't improving, as in, people weren't starting to get KO'd sooner despite players adapting and the dev team has no plans to address the issue then we should definitely consider messing with it.

In fact, I wonder if the game will be better in 2v2 at this rate.

Spinluck

This is actually my biggest complain, it's such a weird design choice.

My second biggest would be the air dodge being way to spammable. It's not as bad as Brawl where you were able to air dodge out of hit stun after like everything, but it can be done way too quickly and consecutively after hit stun. Combos are great and satisfying, but the window to pull them is very small due to air dodge spam. EDIT: Like at times, I get flashes of trying to combo in Brawl, only to realize I'm following up with the wrong move or that I took too long. I imagine combos will be a bit more limited due to this.

?oe?oe

I'm actually liking Mega Man. He didn't look fun to play, but he is great.

Villager seems to be a beast, as is Mario. Dr. Mario was my main in Melee so this pleases me.

I'm still getting used to the controls. I'm not used to this layout and I haven't even touched Smash in many years. I keep forgetting to press Up B when recovering...

Dr. Buni

Think about it. If a DLC character is introduced to the 3DS version, there's a distinct possibility they may not be available in any mode besides multiplayer. They may not get a trophy like any of the other fighters.
That would be bad. I enjoy playing single player too, it would be sad not being able to use DLC characters in classic/all-stars modes.

Up Smash and 3 turnip aerials can kill. Forward tilt and forward air to try and knock them off the stage, and (try) to edge guard them with forward smash and forward air and back air (though it might have less knockback than forward air). Down air is also a pretty good attack, though I haven't tested it that much yet.

His edge game is godtier.

Utilize the fair and bair, along with the tree and fsmash when your opponents off stage.

I was able to KO Link, Mario, and Pikachu at minimal to no damage at all. Villager and Megaman seem a bit harder to edge off.

Hmm I'll have to try that tomorrow thanks for the advice

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Dash dancing is definitely in, it is just hard to do on the circle pad. If you just move left and right with your thumb, it is almost impossible to do. If you put your index finger on the pad and go left and right quickly, you spin in place. My guess is that this will be easier on an analog stick.

Dash Dancing is in the game. I saw Dark Pit doing it (as Computer)

Blizzard

Banned
Level 9 CPU is (usually) not smart enough to predict meteor smashes.
Use mario up tilt over and over to easily rackup damage.
Thanks, I'll try this stuff.

Go balls-deep into that tin-can. His up-close game isn't as good as his ranged game.
I normally try to do this, with either a running-A or a running-grab to get in range, but the level 9 CPU normally shields everything but the occasional running-A, and has very powerful AOE attacks and grabs.

I'm a super Smash noob if it's not obvious. :p

I do notice that the same CPU throw escape exists that did in the past -- it takes maybe 3+ seconds of frantic circle-pad-breaking motion to escape a grab, and I think I've done it exactly once so far, but the CPU can escape a grab in about half a second.

That would be bad. I enjoy playing single player too, it would be sad not being able to use DLC characters in classic/all-stars modes.

Hypothetically, I could see it for the Wii U version if they're available from the start, but I don't see it happening for the 3DS version. Who really knows though. The whole situation is so convoluted it's best to wait until we hear from Sakurai before trying to frame what will or will not happen.

Hedgey

Just walked over to the mall and picked it up.
The booklet inside has each characters B attacks shown, really cool.
bwMtv.jpg

bwMyA.jpg

bwMzH.jpg

bwMB4.jpg

bwMBW.jpg

Thanks, I'll try this stuff.

I normally try to do this, with either a running-A or a running-grab to get in range, but the level 9 CPU normally shields everything but the occasional running-A, and has very powerful AOE attacks and grabs.

I'm a super Smash noob if it's not obvious. :p

I do notice that the same CPU throw escape exists that did in the past -- it takes maybe 3+ seconds of frantic circle-pad-breaking motion to escape a grab, and I think I've done it exactly once so far, but the CPU can escape a grab in about half a second.

Blizzard, did you not catch my post? ;__;

Does anyone know how to mash out of grabs? The CPU are godlike at it.

Megaman's presentation is just incredible in this game, seeing the little dude running around, dodging, jumping, shooting, kicking ass bring tears to my eyes, I'm oh so happy he is in Smash D:

Based Sakurai make a big budget Megaman game like you did with Pit, please.

I agree with you 100%

Teknoman

Man this demo character select screen is such a tease. Smash Bros is the only fighter where I want to play with damn near everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom