• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

PKrockin

For new page don't kill me:

Three things are turning me off. Im still hyped as ever but:

Damage + knockback seem to be significantly reduced - the effects (plus hitstun) make it seem like attacks are doing an incredible amount of damage and are super powerful but in reality damage has been toned down compared to previous games.

New ledge mechanic - the new ledge mechanic has the potential to totally change the game, and not in a good way. Sakurai effectively removed passive K.O.s By that I mean K.O'ing an opponent when you actually don't have to do anything except stop their movement/recovery. Passive K.O.'s added variety and depth to the game. With their removal the game is not as interesting. I don't know why he changed it.

K.O. Bounding box - This in addition to the first point means that matches last longer and seem to be less interesting. I suspect that 2 stock matches will probably become standard unless the competitive community decides to raise the damage ratio for each match. Nobody wants to watch a match where the majority of play is a person being knocked far off stage only to recover and the cycle to continue again ... and again .... and again ... and again. It's boring. At that point it's not trading blows. It's trading one blow ... every 20 seconds. Someone needs to die for their mistakes and this game is way too forgiving. My brother baired someone at 200% and they didnt die.

I know everyone is hype right now and I'm not trying to deflate that but remember when Brawl came out and people were super hype about it? It took a long time for the denial to wear off. I suspect that the increased KO box/decreased damage and ledge mechanics will be the new tripping. It's just antithetical to competitive play and seems to echo Nintendo's mantra that everyone is a winner and deserves infinite tries to get there. All the new gameplay mechanics lend themselves to casual "retries". Are you not that good at smash? Well lets lower the damage so you can last longer. Are you not that good at Smash? Well let's increase the Ko box so you can last longer. Are you not that good at Smash? Well let's make it so that anyone can grab the ledge at anytime so that you can last longer!
I think it's more that Villager and Mega Man (who is a zoning character I assume) don't have good kill moves. I'm playing Mario and Link and killing way earlier than I did in Brawl. It probably varies a lot by character.

The increased KO box size is probably to counteract the lack of momentum canceling people were using to stay alive longer in Brawl. I don't see how this or across the board reduced knockback would pander to casuals really.

Assuming you mean edge guarding by "passive KOs", I think you're exaggerating. Besides, it's not like Brawl had that much in terms of edge guarding in competitive play in the first place. Most of the popular characters could recover with no problem.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Man this demo character select screen is such a tease. Smash Bros is the only fighter where I want to play with damn near everyone.

Maybe if I hover over the Palutena icon long icon it will bug out and register. T___T

It's gonna be a long 3 weeks waiting for the full roster.

braves01

Banned
Okay, I think I got the hang of gyroids. Villager is fun as hell. I'm also thinking I might need to preorder some more Amiibos...

Revven

I feel like this game has two types of recovery: "Bad" and "You're not going to kill me unless you knock me out of the blast zone."

Yeah, it's kind of silly. They even buffed characters' recoveries that were already good enough in Brawl (ex: Diddy Kong, who can now angle his Up B like Fox -- both full horizontal to diagonal and even straight up). It's bonkers. :/

The demo is so much fun, I can't stop playing it. I'm somewhat afraid I'll burn myself out before the full game comes out! Mega Man and Villager are incredibly fun to play, and the three veterans are interesting in their own ways, too. And I absolutely love that it saves your character colors.

Most fortunately, using the circle pad so much in this game seems to have actually fixed it - it used to get stuck in the down position, which botched some of my moves here. It doesn't do that anymore, it seems!

Spinluck

It's so weird, it feels like plenty of moves are powerful and have KO power. It's just that the borders on the stages are too generous. I can see the competitive community favoring stages with small blast zones because of this. We'll see how the Wii U version is.

tumblr_nbtjfzVMpf1tqfsczo1_500.jpg

dead

http://thesketchesofmoondays.tumblr...m-not-sure-why-people-are-asking-for-lucas-we

It's so weird, it feels like plenty of moves are powerful and have KO power. It's just that the borders on the stages are too generous. I can see the competitive community favoring stages with small blast zones because of this. We'll see how the Wii U version is.

I don't think the stages have varying blast zones anymore. Or if they do, I haven't see anything yet.

solomon

Combos would then likely be even less possible, I'd think.

I'm not too sure how the community would react to messing with damage ratio to address the problem for matches taking too long. Back when this idea was suggested for Brawl was both too late and was met with mixed opinions -- people felt the game would likely improve and also were used to the already "standardized" rule set (the idea of messing with damage ratio was 6-8 months into Brawl's tournament life).

I'd like to try exploring it myself and see how it affects combos and how much of a difference it makes in match time. But I'm not sure how TOs would feel about it or the community in general. I wish this was a discussion we could have but I think if we did, people would argue it's "too early" to be messing with damage ratio. :/

If it seemed like the game wasn't improving, as in, people weren't starting to get KO'd sooner despite players adapting and the dev team has no plans to address the issue then we should definitely consider messing with it.

In fact, I wonder if the game will be better in 2v2 at this rate.

Yeah the idea of it should at least be brought up eventually, I'm loving how the game is but after watching zero's stream he is killing everyone with bowser fast (due to bowsers generally strong moves) whereas all the other characters are sort of struggling. I wish Sakurai was a little more approachable like ono or Harada, it's a very simple fix of just making the blast zones smaller. I do hope the 3ds version is sort of a beta and by the time the wii u one comes out these simple things are fixed.

Esiquio

I just watched Villager Pocket a Lloid that was reflected back at him. Then shoot his Lloid and unPocket the other Lloid immediately. It was amazing.

Small question for Mii Fighters: Can you alter battle portrait that you see when in battle/CSS or will that Mii always be in that pose?

oh man i just noticed that mac has the WVBA belt in his winpose

Also, I can confirm that Flat Zone 2 is unlocked on the second page of Challenges. It unlocks right away when you have G&W unlocked.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Yeah the idea of it should at least be brought up eventually, I'm loving how the game is but after watching zero's stream he is killing everyone with bowser fast (due to bowsers generally strong moves) whereas all the other characters are sort of struggling. I wish Sakurai was a little more approachable like ono or Harada, it's a very simple fix of just making the blast zones smaller. I do hope the 3ds version is sort of a beta and by the time the wii u one comes out these simple things a fixed.
If anything, the Wii U version will have larger levels, making blast zones potentially even more difficult to reach. It's pretty clear that the 3DS selection of levels was limited to the more compact stages, and some of the returning levels were even shrunk down.

Hatchtag

Banned
Ganon's new kick-ass alt; not sure what it's a reference to, but it, the white one from Brawl, and the blue skinned ones are the only ones that change his head.
0zt7y2U.jpg

Trying to unlock all his customs. Giving him a piece of equipment to be faster made him so much better. So far, have both his custom Bs and one custom down B unlocked.
Custom B 1: The sword thing.
Custom B 2: A magic thing. Basically in in between of his default and his down B 1. In between damage, in between range, in between speed. Seems to have a bit of a magic effect to it though.
Custom Down B 1: More range on the ground, more straight down in the air. Has more start up and deals less damage.
Also, Ganonciding is now really hard to do. When you capture someone midair, Ganon goes straight down with them.

If anything, the Wii U version will have larger levels, making blast zones potentially even more difficult to reach. It's pretty clear that the 3DS selection of levels was limited to the more compact stages, and some of the returning levels were even shrunk down.

I dunno, it's not too unreasonable to think Battlefield/FD/etc. blast zones could be made a bit smaller in the Wii U version (not that I expect it)

solomon

Makes me sort of sad because the game is a improvement to Brawl in every way and it would suck that something simple such as adjusting blast zones will hold it back.

The demo is fuckin killin me!! I need the full game I need to play with everybody!

Those who have the game where would you rate fox as in comparison to melee and brawl?

ugoo18

Been playing the demo for about 3 and a half hours now.....

My pointing finger of all things is cramping up lol.

Was Mario buffed because he feels a lot better than he did in Brawl and Melee.

Blizzard

Banned
Blizzard, did you not catch my post? ;__;

Does anyone know how to mash out of grabs? The CPU are godlike at it.

Really? I'm playing on the 3DS, so basically you're gonna want to use your jab, nair, bair, uair and cape to get in. Be wary of him knocking you into the air, and pick your battles. When you grab him, either throw him off the edge and fair him down, or up throw him and go for a follow-up (haven't tried down throw, but given the Rush glitch I think it would be pointless.) Finally, the shield is really strong, don't be afraid to abuse it for the win. Also, I've noted that in the air fireballs fall really quickly, so try to damage him that way. Don't bother edgeguarding him with cape, he can just Rush Coil again.

I'm a Doc main from Melee, so the experience playing him there really gives me an edge here given that I can apply most of my tricks here, and (SSB4 newcomer spoilers)
Dr. Mario is returning.

Sorry, I think I saw it but didn't quote it directly. I had been trying to use down throw so I could at least do the A-A-A combo, but down-throw does very little percentage. I appreciate the tips from everyone.

I'd rather cut it down to 2 stocks/5 minutes if that somehow were the case, lol
Coincidentally, those are the exact settings "For Glory" uses. :p

TWILT

Banned
Yeah, the biggest problem I have with the game is that the blast zones are way too big. Moves that feel like they should KO...don't because how huge the zones are.

Tenck

Only complaint I got right now is getting into position with zss sometimes get tricky cause of circle pad. Other than that I love this game.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
Any video on Megaman's custom specials yet?

Tripon

So Toph went to IGN to help commentate IGN's Smash 3DS stream. While he was there, he was able to take this pic of Peer Schneider, AKA guy #4.

BxWmRKECcAAE7BU.jpg

munchie64

I don't know whether I'm rusty as hell or the 3DS controls are screwing with me, but I am not good. I was way better at some point man!

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I don't know whether I'm rusty as hell or the 3DS controls are screwing with me, but I am not good. I was way better at some point man!

That's what they all say! Not playing for ~5 years was my main issue. That and UpTilts are really hard to do using the circle pad.

ugoo18

The 3DS controls took a little getting used to for me, namely the grab vs shield placement. Once i adjusted i was fine although 4p matches are still a problem because of the screen size.

1v1 however is pretty much flawless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom