• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makai

Duck Hunt Dog impressions:

I love this character.

He actually reminds me a lot of Mario with how he plays. I think he's a good character for a beginner. His tilts, jab and dash attack are all quick, clear, easy to understand and easy to combo into. His up air is a multi hit peck attack from the bird. His down air is a meteor smash. Very simple stuff. Also, as expected from a dog, his run speed is very fast, second to probably only Sonic in the entire game (I could be wrong here. Point is, he's fast!)

The complexity comes in with his smash attacks and special moves. With the exception of his up special and down special, a red target appears on the screen... and Duck Hunt Dog basically summons a Zapper toting Duck Hunt player to shoot his opponents in Smash Bros.

His forward smash generates three decently powerful shots directly in front of him. The range of the attack increases as the move is charged more. If you hit with the closest shot, your opponent will bounce into the second and third shot. It's not the fastest or most powerful forward smash in the game, but it's not horrible.

In a similar fashion, his up smash generates three shots directly above the dog's head. The range is pretty small here, and like his forward smash, the move isn't very powerful.

And then there's his down smash. Same idea. Three shots. One in front, then one behind, then a second in front, equaling three shots total.

These three smash attacks generally kill at about 100%, maybe a bit lower for the lighter characters.

His neutral B is incredibly unique. Pressing the button once sends a... Hogan's Alley branded soup can flying out of DHD. It is not an item that you can pick up. Instead, you press B again, and the "player" shoots the can, sending it forward. You can shoot the can up to 8 times, which means you can send it almost the entire way across Final Destination. Upon making contact with you opponent, it explodes! Unfortunately, it doesn't really do much damage, nor does it have much knockback. Bummer considering how unique it is, and how difficult it is to actually connect with it. It's not even as powerful as one of Snake's cooked grenades from Brawl, even though the two moves are somewhat similar.

His down B generates a sprite directly from Hogan's Alley, another NES game that made use of the NES Zapper. The character faces the player for a moment, then turns and fires in the direction that DHD is facing. This move is so slow that it actually took me a while to hit a level 1 CPU, who would keep jumping over it. It does 7% and has almost zero knockback.

Forward B has DHD throwing a frisbee from his mouth at the opponent. This piece of crap attack only does two percent of damage. But wait, there's more! If you hit b, the player shoots the frisbee three times, dealing MASSIVE damage to the opponent. And when I say massive, I mean not much damage at all. Like 9% and no hit back. Amazing that all of these precision-based moves are so damn bad. Sheik's needles do more damage than these moves!

Up B is basically Tails carrying Sonic in Sonic 2, except it's the duck carrying the dog. It goes pretty far and is easy to control.

Duck Hunt Dog has an alternate costume that looks very similar to Banjo and Kazooie. I choose to believe that BK was going to be playable in Melee, but was scrapped, and now part of his moveset has been transferred to Smash 4's Duck Hunt Dog :)

Overall, DHD's special moves kinda suck, but he is quick enough with his tilts and aerials that I think he is still a decent character, at least for day one. I'm having a lot of fun with him!
Cool. I haven't unlocked him yet but have soupcan-hype already.

This hurt a lot.

I understand though. I'm sure they tried everything to get the Ice Climbers in. It must be just as heartbreaking to Sakurai.

Yea, I imagine they were the hardest cut to Smash he's ever had to do, and it was entirely out of his control. Ice Climbers were like his Smash baby, I'm surprised he never picked up a project to re-invent them himself Kid Icarus style.

Clones suck and Dr. Mario should have been a skin.

Tell that to Mario Tornado.

I remember seeing some DHD matches in Zero's stream and his specials definitely looks annoying to deal with if the player knows how to use them, even more sow when used in conjunction with his smash attacks.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member

I love this character.

He actually reminds me a lot of Mario with how he plays. I think he's a good character for a beginner. His tilts, jab and dash attack are all quick, clear, easy to understand and easy to combo into. His up air is a multi hit peck attack from the bird. His down air is a meteor smash. Very simple stuff. Also, as expected from a dog, his run speed is very fast, second to probably only Sonic in the entire game (I could be wrong here. Point is, he's fast!)

The complexity comes in with his smash attacks and special moves. With the exception of his up special and down special, a red target appears on the screen... and Duck Hunt Dog basically summons a Zapper toting Duck Hunt player to shoot his opponents in Smash Bros.

His forward smash generates three decently powerful shots directly in front of him. The range of the attack increases as the move is charged more. If you hit with the closest shot, your opponent will bounce into the second and third shot. It's not the fastest or most powerful forward smash in the game, but it's not horrible.

In a similar fashion, his up smash generates three shots directly above the dog's head. The range is pretty small here, and like his forward smash, the move isn't very powerful.

And then there's his down smash. Same idea. Three shots. One in front, then one behind, then a second in front, equaling three shots total.

These three smash attacks generally kill at about 100%, maybe a bit lower for the lighter characters.

His neutral B is incredibly unique. Pressing the button once sends a... Hogan's Alley branded soup can flying out of DHD. It is not an item that you can pick up. Instead, you press B again, and the "player" shoots the can, sending it forward. You can shoot the can up to 8 times, which means you can send it almost the entire way across Final Destination. Upon making contact with you opponent, it explodes! Unfortunately, it doesn't really do much damage, nor does it have much knockback. Bummer considering how unique it is, and how difficult it is to actually connect with it. It's not even as powerful as one of Snake's cooked grenades from Brawl, even though the two moves are somewhat similar.

His down B generates a sprite directly from Hogan's Alley, another NES game that made use of the NES Zapper. The character faces the player for a moment, then turns and fires in the direction that DHD is facing. This move is so slow that it actually took me a while to hit a level 1 CPU, who would keep jumping over it. It does 7% and has almost zero knockback.

Forward B has DHD throwing a frisbee from his mouth at the opponent. This piece of crap attack only does two percent of damage. But wait, there's more! If you hit b, the player shoots the frisbee three times, dealing MASSIVE damage to the opponent. And when I say massive, I mean not much damage at all. Like 9% and no hit back. Amazing that all of these precision-based moves are so damn bad. Sheik's needles do more damage than these moves!

Up B is basically Tails carrying Sonic in Sonic 2, except it's the duck carrying the dog. It goes pretty far and is easy to control.

Duck Hunt Dog has an alternate costume that looks very similar to Banjo and Kazooie. I choose to believe that BK was going to be playable in Melee, but was scrapped, and now part of his moveset has been transferred to Smash 4's Duck Hunt Dog :)

Overall, DHD's special moves kinda suck, but he is quick enough with his tilts and aerials that I think he is still a decent character, at least for day one. I'm having a lot of fun with him!

Sounds great! Can't wait to get my paws on him come NA release
Another interesting note is that his up-b is actually a kill move.

Considering how Miiverse was sacrificed for the 3DS version, I'm not too entirely unconvinced Ice Climbers weren't cut for technical reasons. Just because they have a trophy on the 3DS version has no bearing on the Wii U.

Neiteio

Duck Hunt is extremely capable in the right hands. Watching Zero (Villager) fight a Duck Hunt user online, in like 10 back-to-back matches, I saw Duck Hunt use all of the specials to great effect, mixing up close- and long-range explosive projectiles that out-prioritized Villager's projectiles, and causing general confusion that allowed Duck Hunt to make a quick approach. Also, the Wild Gunman summoned with Down Special can take hits for Duck Hunt, acting like a wall. :)

Considering how Miiverse was sacrificed for the 3DS version, I'm not too entirely unconvinced Ice Climbers weren't cut for technical reasons.

As great as the 3DS version looks, no Miiverse/browser plus ATs/Pokemon being 30FPS shows just how much they needed to squeeze to get the game working.

Hatchtag

Banned
Ganondorf Custom Up B: Does Not hug. About same height, angle, etc. Damages at start up, and does huge damage (almost like a Falcon Knee sweetspot) if it hits the opponent at the end of the jump.
I wasn't able to combo into it, but I didn't try too many combinations. Have a feeling this will either be terrible or the Up B most people use.

XenodudeX

I haven't seen a single decent Little Mac player yet. Everyone one just keeps doing stupid shit and getting themselves killed. Very frustrating.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Duck Hunt is extremely capable in the right hands. Watching Zero (Villager) fight a Duck Hunt user online, in like 10 back-to-back matches, I saw Duck Hunt use all of the specials to great effect, mixing up close-range and long-range explosive projectiles that out-prioritized Villager's projectiles and caused general confusion that allowed Duck Hunt to make a quick approach. Also, the Wild Gunman summoned with Down Special can take hits for you, acting like a wall. :)

Yeah, it's actually archived here for those interested in the matches. Starts at 4:24:00

Forkball

Any guide on how to unlock characters outside of doing a bunch of matches? I got Falco, Doctor Mario, and BLACK PIT from Classic and Ness after doing Smash Run.

Masked Man

I said wow
I think the term you're looking for is weight, since DI is constant for every character. It's good that he does more damage, at the very least. I forgot to ask though; does he have the same down B? (Does he use different orbitars?)

Ahhh, there we go! In any case, though, his Down B is ostensibly the same. He doesn't feel a whole lot different than Pit other than being a little heavier, but I only went through Classic once with him.

Trophy description for Ice Climbers, if anyone is willing to translate. Unfortunately I cannot do it myself :(

These two are the eponymous stars of the 1985 action game. The boy clad in blue is Popo, and the girl wearing pink is Nana. Together they scale the mountain, jumping to destroy the blocks above them and swinging their hammers to clear out any critters that stand in their way. Once they reach the peak, the Ice Climbers enter a bonus stage in which the pair must collect veggies as they frantically scramble to the top. Their score increases if they manage to grab hold of the condor's talon once they reach the peak.

XeroSauce

I haven't seen a single decent Little Mac player yet. Everyone one just keeps doing stupid shit and getting themselves killed. Very frustrating.

Same.

I want to see someone try and take advantage of his strengths and not play him like every other character.

Quality over quantity this time

This music is something else! Most of it sounds very "melee" in style, compared to brawl style. I guess what I mean, is Melee knew it had a song limit, so it packed everything into its songs. Referencing other pieces, having different tempos and styles in one song, etc. With Brawl, they basically had no limit, so you'd find many renditions to just be the normal song with some different instruments or a little jazzier.

From what I've seen, based on the music style, gameplay, Doc, and Melee music remixes I'm getting a strong sense they went into this with a Melee mindset instead of Brawl. They seem to have wanted to make sure it felt like a Melee 2, and not a Brawl 2.

Which is why I wouldn't be surprised if Lucas and Wolf are passed over as DLC for Mewtwo. Mewtwo would be probably the biggest melee nostalgia bomb they could do.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Duck Hunt Dog has an alternate costume that looks very similar to Banjo and Kazooie. I choose to believe that BK was going to be playable in Melee, but was scrapped, and now part of his moveset has been transferred to Smash 4's Duck Hunt Dog :)!

Nope, Rare developer pretty much disconfirmed that when he posted somewhere on the internet. I forget where. Also he said that all they did for Melee were making the trophies for Sakurai to included in Super Smash Bros Melee but they ended up nixed the trophies hence no Diddy Kong trophy in Melee.

Also that duck (which is happy coincidence to have somewhat same colors with Kazooie) already exists in Duck Hunt NES. Take a good look at right section of ducks.

Uuy6gEi.jpg

BTW, very amazing detailed impression. I wish the game is here already.

Drago

These two are the eponymous stars of the 1985 action game. The boy clad in blue is Popo, and the girl wearing pink is Nana. Together they scale the mountain, jumping to destroy the blocks above them and swinging their hammers to clear out any critters that stand in their way. Once they reach the peak, the Ice Climbers enter a bonus stage in which the pair must collect veggies as they frantically scramble to the top. Their score increases if they manage to grab hold of the condor's talon once they reach the peak.
You're awesome for doing this, thanks!

Hatchtag

Banned
Ganondorf Custom Up B: Does Not hug. About same height, angle, etc. Damages at start up, and does huge damage (almost like a Falcon Knee sweetspot) if it hits the opponent at the end of the jump.
I wasn't able to combo into it, but I didn't try too many combinations. Have a feeling this will either be terrible or the Up B most people use.

The move combos into itself at a high percent, it seems. It combos itself into what is essentially a Falcon Knee at a high percent. This is a great fucking move.

I finally got a chance to play quite a few rounds of the demo with my brother. The controls took a lot of getting used to. L and R being switch cost me several kills, and caused a few of my deaths as well.

Villager is my favorite to play as in the demo. I've had a few really nice his with that tree, but always forget to use my pocket grab thing. Also, Villagers Side Smash had the worst range ever. Seriously.

Mega Man is really fun as well. I hate his standard attack though. Shooting those little pellets does like no damage, and doesn't have enough hit stun to get a couple hits in. That move alone makes it very hard for me to play as him well.

The other characters all feel really good, especially Link. Link is actually really good now! His dash attack is so amazing. Mario's Fludd seems a little better, I guess? It pushed back a bit further than I remember.

Easily the worst thing about the demo is Dark Samus. It pains me every time she appears on stage, because her moves are so amazing! She's halfway to being a new character already! The machine gun style burst, the Phazon tendrils, the orbs... so good. Please Sakurai... make her as DLC!

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Yes.

Doesn't mention "Dog" anywhere.

Yeah, They chanting, Duck Hunt Dog.

Duck Hunt is extremely capable in the right hands. Watching Zero (Villager) fight a Duck Hunt user online, in like 10 back-to-back matches, I saw Duck Hunt use all of the specials to great effect, mixing up close- and long-range explosive projectiles that out-prioritized Villager's projectiles, and causing general confusion that allowed Duck Hunt to make a quick approach. Also, the Wild Gunman summoned with Down Special can take hits for Duck Hunt, acting like a wall. :)

Yeah, I'm very excited about him! :)

Duck Hunt Dog impressions:His neutral B is incredibly unique. Pressing the button once sends a... Hogan's Alley branded soup can flying out of DHD. It is not an item that you can pick up. Instead, you press B again, and the "player" shoots the can, sending it forward. You can shoot the can up to 8 times, which means you can send it almost the entire way across Final Destination. Upon making contact with you opponent, it explodes! Unfortunately, it doesn't really do much damage, nor does it have much knockback. Bummer considering how unique it is, and how difficult it is to actually connect with it. It's not even as powerful as one of Snake's cooked grenades from Brawl, even though the two moves are somewhat similar.
Every one seems to miss one of the more interesting aspects of the move to me. Of course you can juggle it by hitting B again, but you can hit it around with your normal moves too, which is definitely helpful if you're trying to use the move effectively from a distance. For instance, try F Tilting the can.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Heh it's nuts to me how many of you have trouble up-tilting with tap to jump on. Get a little finesse! I've kept it on in every game and have no trouble. Ya need it on to do the best up airs immediately off the ground. Playin hybrid mode is for real men.

Unfortunate that the first HD Smash is being held back by hardware that can't accomplish what Smash already did 13 years ago.

Jeeze your posts about these games are getting pretty tiring.

Roo

As great as the 3DS version looks, no Miiverse/browser plus ATs/Pokemon being 30FPS shows just how much they needed to squeeze to get the game working.

This is why I think Ice Climbers should be on Smash Wii U.
I mean, why do Wii U owners have to deal with 3DS' underpowered shit?
Not fair if you ask me.

/salty rant

Kyzon

Unfortunate that the first HD Smash is being held back by hardware that can't accomplish what Smash already did 13 years ago.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, don't let this dumb ass argument start again :(

That will be 20 pages of bs :/

no offence

Hatchtag

Banned
Jiggs still KOs upon breaking its own shield.
Going to try to record Ganondorf's kickass new custom Up B, which combos into itself for a KO at around 90% against Yoshi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom