• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gartooth

For the record, I was already going to main DHD the moment I saw that he was the closest thing I was getting to Banjo and Kazooie in Smash.

Granted I already have quite a few mains so I won't be using him too often.

Cody_D165

Banned
After playing the demo for awhile I don't think I'm gonna main Mega Man. I think his look and design are perfect but I'm not a real fan of his move set. Maybe custom moves can help him. The number one character I wanna try now is Paluntena. I am also curious to try Little Mac and Wii Fit trainer.

Mega Man seems like the character that everyone goes "HOLY SHIT YES MAIN MAIN MAIN" when he's revealed but then when the game comes out he'll be somewhat forgotten. Kinda makes me sad, but it seems like his standard moveset is a bit outclassed by a lot of characters.

Triton55

So why do they still go for Final Destination or Battlefield almost every time even though there's an FD mode? Would it kill them to have a little variety in music and background?

Yeah, they did fantastic job with the dog. I'm glad that you appreciate him now after you gave me hard time. :)

I had a problem with how most fans portrayed him. (dog holding zapper, dog slapping poeple with duck.)

I actually firmly believe a character should have a moveset that is a natural fit to their game and/or heavily inspired by it in a logical way; (obviously some freedom when it's hilarious and/or okay within a game's world is okay e.g. WFT, CF and Fox/Falco.)

One of my big complaints with Brawl has always been that quite a few characters feel a bit too much like they're adhering to a "typical smash moveset" rather than directly trying to present their game. (The 3 mii archetypes are good examples of this in a way); I think SSB4 made a lot of characters way more unique and interesting than people expected, and that's a good thing.

If people had suggested duck hunt as he's incarnated in game "you're the shooter and the dog's essentially setting down the targets/your field representation like in the game" rather than just "lol you can play the dog and he shoots people", I would've had no problems with that from the get go.

I've never been too outspoken about character speculation in the hype threads, (aside from telling people their choices suck) but aside from a few legitimately bad choices I'm mosty of the opinion that a character's strength in smash directly relates to how unique and inspired their moveset is. When people support a character and give them the most cookie-cutter moveset as "evidence they could be playable" I'm inclined to dismiss that choice based on that alone.

(for clarity: I'm fine with clones not being as inspired/unqiue as I fully realise they're way easier to make, it even takes me like only 10% of the time to sprite them tops.)

Durden77

Duck Hunt was one of the first two games I ever played, and I love zoning characters. It's why Snake is my main.

I'm playin that dog hardcore. Besides, the same thing will happen with him that happens to nearly every other character like him. He'll look strong at first and his crazy design will make a lot of people hype, but then it will level out and the people that really want to play him will. He doesn't have any crazy obvious kill moves like Snake's up tilt.

JoeInky

I still think Ness isn't that great relative to the most of the cast, though maybe it's just me going into the game with a PM mindset.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Have to admit, I'm actually sort of bothered by the "THEY'RE JUST LIKE BANJO KAZOOIE!" thing with DHD.

I could sort of see it before we saw their gameplay and they had the basic mammal + bird duo going on, but now, like, I really don't see anything Banjo-Kazooie about them, except perhaps the Up-B, and even then that's stretching it.

Mega Man seems like the character that everyone goes "HOLY SHIT YES MAIN MAIN MAIN" when he's revealed but then when the game comes out he'll be somewhat forgotten. Kinda makes me sad, but it seems like his standard moveset is a bit outclassed by a lot of characters.

i think im the only one who went from being okay with megaman to wanting to main him i find his tilts t be really satisfying and his up smash to be pretty decent at least from my plays with the demo anyway lol

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm so happy he seems good, I hate it when the kind of characters I really enjoy seeing show up turn out to be poor. Like Rocket Raccoon. :(

Fair point. Yeah, I really like RR but I'm sure there is few main teams that are still have RR being part of teams. I got owned by RR online mode. He's still good but required a lot of time tho.

Gartooth

Have to admit, I'm actually sort of bothered by the "THEY'RE JUST LIKE BANJO KAZOOIE!" thing with DHD.

I could sort of see it before we saw their gameplay and they had the basic mammal + bird duo going on, but now, like, I really don't see anything Banjo-Kazooie about them, except perhaps the Up-B, and even then that's stretching it.

There's no reason for you to be bothered because there is nothing wrong with that comparison. It just reminds people of Banjo and Kazooie which is a good thing for a lot of us that never got to see those characters make it into Smash. Hell there is a skin that has some similar colors to that duo.

Nobody is saying that DHD is just a rip off of Banjo-Kazooie. DHD doesn't roll around or have the bird shoot eggs. It is just the concept behind the character itself that reminds people rather than specific moves. It is a mammal paired with a bird that helps it fight and fly through the air.

For another example, I like the concept behind Bowser Jr. because he reminds me of Tron Bonne from Marvel vs. Capcom. That isn't a knock against Bowser Jr. by saying he isn't original, rather it is me being excited because the character shows similarities to another character that I am a fan of.

Red, blue and green are easy to remember. Still not sure what yellow and purple does.

from the looks of it yello is shield which lowers the knockback of the attacks u receive plus super armor in some cases (i think i saw shulk not flinching at some points)

and purple increases the damage of attacks and specials from the looks of it

i remember sakurai posting the effects but i dont have it on hand

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
And no one has answered this T_T

While waiting for an online match to start and practicing, a CPU partner for me showed up. He was an 8-bit sprite of a bird-man and had moves of his own. Does anyone know who this is? Is he an assist trophy? It only happened once, when I was using Pac-Man.

Figured it out- it's an NPC you can get to assist you on Ness' stage.

from the looks of it yello is shield which lowers the knockback of the attacks u receive plus super armor in some cases (i think i saw shulk not flinching at some points)

翔 (Jump): higher jumps, lower defense. (Green)
疾 (Speed): faster movement, weaker attacks. (Blue)
盾(Shield): higher defense, slower movement. (Yellow)
斬(Buster): stronger attacks, weaker launch ability. (Purple)
撃(Smash): Stronger launch ability, weaker attacks, lower defense against launching. (Red)

Qurupeke

I still can't understand how he's even remotely bad. Yes, his down-b is awful and maybe even his neutral-b but pretty much any other move is decent. He's the best character on the demo for me.

Revven

Any reason why the TourneyLocator guys aren't using FD-mode stages?

The players probably aren't being considerate of spectators who might want variance in music/aesthetics. Really, there's no reason to use the FD-mode stages when they're all the same as regular FD besides aesthetics. If they had more significant differences (like blastzone size variance) I'm sure they would be used for this. The players just want to play.

Also, platforms on BF and YI:B are really important and better stages than the FD-skins for counterpicking purposes.

翔 (Jump): higher jumps, lower defense.
疾 (Speed): faster movement, weaker attacks.
盾(Shield): higher defense, slower movement.
斬(Buster): stronger attacks, weaker launch ability.
撃(Smash): Stronger launch ability, weaker attacks, lower defense against launching.
I don't speak moon runes, I need some colors!

撃(Smash): Stronger launch ability, weaker attacks, lower defense against launching. (Red)

撃(Smash): Stronger launch ability, weaker attacks, lower defense against launching.

speed is blue
shield is yellow
buster is purple
smash is red
and jump is green XD

Sakura

I only got a chance to play for like an hour last night, and unlocked Falco.
Wish I could play more but I have to go to work :(
The alternate colour stuff sounds pretty cool.

ffdgh

Purple increases % damage and yellow is shield.

Thanks, thanks, and thanks. Speed, jump and smash are the only ones I ever see so far.

speed is blue
shield is yellow
buster is purple
smash is red
and jump is green XD
Thank you!

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Just for the record, if anyone should be able to use DHD without being called a hipster, it should be me.

IF you remember, back in July or so when DHD was first mentioned in a text rumor, I was one of the few to actually seriously consider the idea instead of...dog-piling...on the Smashboard mods and mocking them. Further more, I was on #TeamReal when the leak hit, and even posted the thread for it despite much of SmashGAF saying that was a mistake.

Although I really think I might go with Dark Pit just to be edgy.

EDIT: Take that back, probably use Pac.

You should check my post between 2012 to 2013. (Maybe after 2011). Also I did support DHD during Brawl. :D. That's why I'm escalated about him being in the game. Finally!

Duck Hunt was one of the first two games I ever played, and I love zoning characters. It's why Snake is my main.

I'm playin that dog hardcore. Besides, the same thing will happen with him that happens to nearly every other character like him. He'll look strong at first and his crazy design will make a lot of people hype, but then it will level out and the people that really want to play him will. He doesn't have any crazy obvious kill moves like Snake's up tilt.

That's good!

That notion is annoying since they don't really share a lot in common. Especially they said red duck is inspired by Kazooie which isn't completely true. Red Duck actually is in the game.

Son Of D

I'll have to bookmark this post. Colour vision deficiency will make it hard to remember by colour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom